Happy 98th Birthday to Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh

G650

Wut?  

Let me spell it out for you.  Fuck all monarchs.  Fuck all their supporters.  It's a worthless system.  After they all die, let the whole construct die off with them.  

Remind me of why the British monarchy serves anything of value?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wut?  

Let me spell it out for you.  Fuck all monarchs.  Fuck all their supporters.  It's a worthless system.  After they all die, let the whole construct die off with them.  

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975cff09c77571723477

Yes, I'm serious.  Monarchies are about as timely and useful as institutional racism and witch burnings.  We fought wars to eradicate our connection to them.  Tell you what, I'll send you some people magazines about Princess Kate so you have something to live for this week.  Or you could just do us all a favor...

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, I'm serious.  Monarchies are about as timely and useful as institutional racism and witch burnings.  We fought wars to eradicate our connection to them.  Tell you what, I'll send you some people magazines about Princess Kate so you have something to live for this week.  Or you could just do us all a favor...

The British Royal Family is as close to a monarchy as you are to a rational thought. And I’m glad you brought up people magazine as that is the whole point. They sell magazines. That’s it. They generate almost 2 billion in tourism. They do ceremonial bullshit and charity hand waving. They have no real power. 

• Like 1

If they have no real power, we have no real use for them.  Let all monarchies world-wide die and take their caste-based/hate-based system with them.   

All fucking royals must fucking hang.  

A king has his reign and then he dies.  Why must we continue to pretend that regents and clergy serve a fucking purpose.  They all had their chance to lie to us, now it's us.  Let's roll...

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If they have no real power, we have no real use for them.  Let all monarchies world-wide die and take their caste-based/hate-based system with them.   

A king has his reign and then he dies.  Why must we continue to pretend that regents and clergy serve a fucking purpose.  They all had their chance to lie to us, now it's us.  Let's roll...

What's this we shit ?  Are you a British subject ?

• Like 3

You're right, I'd love to get rid of this system.  My first step is telling people who open a speech with "I'm fourth generation Texan...third generation Longhorn" to shut the fuck up until they have some actual achievement to discuss.  I'll take the Pepsi Challenge on who has done more for Austin than any 10 fucking natives I've ever fucking met.  

Meantime, all royals need to fucking die.  

34 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Clearly, “we” would all be better off with well-balanced individuals such as yourself in charge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Because it's a good idea to place in charge the results of cousins fucking.  

Have at it my friend.  You need weddings to watch on TV more than I need to usurp monarchies.  I wish you well in your quest. 

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

The British have 2 billion reasons to keep the ceremonial charade going full bore. You keep using "we" as you're somehow affected by them in any way. You are not. If you'd like to castigate the wealth and adoration heaped upon celebrities in the US, then by all means. And if you say that isn't by birth, I'd suggest you do research on many of the famous people. Their parents and grandparents were most likely "in the business". 

As to your suggestion to let all monarchies, die, I agree with you, but you do realize the only non-constitutational/ non-parliamentary monarchies left in the world, the one with any power are Oman, Swaziland, and Saudia Arabia. But I agree, fuck them. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wut?  

You realize that the Queen doesn't run the UK, right? Or Canada?

If you can't see anything of value then you're just trolling.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

At this point I'm not even sure who is more entertaining, the royals or the slightly unhinged anti-royals.

The Royals have been pretty boring since Princess Diana died.  The unhinged anti people are always more entertaining because they're unhinged.

4 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

What is the basis for the $2 billion generated in tourism by the royal family?   Is it actually generated by them or by their royal property, which would still be a tourist attraction if they were no longer around? 

I don't know that there is as much demand for former monarch residences as there is for one's still in use by an existant monarch.

And I like having the queen. Them being there, or not, doesn't change my life one bit. But it is a tie back to the good ol days. And she makes a fine Head of State.

16 hours ago, G650 said:

At this point I'm not even sure who is more entertaining, the royals or the slightly unhinged anti-royals.

Right?!  Lobo is on a roll lately with his anti-royal Death Wish vigilantism and his 1100 word essays in about 8 different threads regarding banks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

I don't know that there is as much demand for former monarch residences as there is for one's still in use by an existant monarch. 

The Forbidden City, Versailles, Topkapi Palace, the Winter Palace, and Schonbrunn Palace all get multiples more tourists than the British royal sites, despite having no present monarch in residence:   https://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/world's-most-visited-castles.  The best British site I've been to, and maybe the biggest tourist attraction, is the Tower of London and it has little to do with the current royal family as far as I can tell. Hell, I was just at Mount Vernon and the place was packed even though George Washington has been dead for a spell.

Sure, there are probably some people who would lose interest in Buckingham Palace and other properties if the royal family were gone, but there are probably a lot more people who would be interested in full access to the royal rooms and offices in the palaces and castles once they have no residents.  People go more for the Palace Guards than any of the royals, IMO, and they could stick around. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

This is a weird thread. They're basically the world's richest welfare recipients, but they're British welfare recipients who cost me nothing so I feel no reason to be emotional about their existence. 

I honestly had no expectations it would turn out like it did. I expected a few jokes about Prince Philip's driving and that's about it.

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I find the current Royal Family a bore, so I have absolutely no interest in them. But, I’m not offended by them. Is there a place for someone like moi?

Yep, me too.  I was somewhat entertained when that younger prince was growing up, as it seemed like he was kind of a black sheep.  And the two brothers found two hot wives, so good for them.  Other than that, not really my deal.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:41 PM, Lobo said:

My first step is telling people who open a speech with "I'm fourth generation Texan...third generation Longhorn" to shut the fuck up until they have some actual achievement to discuss.  

Yeah, I've never understood this either. "Damn proud to have been born in (Tex, OK, NY, etc.)!". Why? Does it come with special powers? I'm sure there's many adopted people that, before they found out, were sure that they were proudly born and raised in their current state. Then they get told the truth and...nothing changes? 

What's fascinating and comical about monarchies is that they were still buying into the "ruling by divine right" pretty much right up until WWI.  You read Dreadnought, in particular, and you get a flavor for it and it's just ridiculousness.

I find it somewhat entertaining to observe them as people and how they react to being thrust into immense wealth, visibility, and a degree of power by accident of birth.

Most of the people we idolize don't really deserve it.  Monarchs and nobles are not much different.