Vince takes it 60 yards to the house - 05 Rose Bowl

ztejas

a good friend was a high school DC and HC in the Houston area for many years and coached and coached against many really good players. he had a defense that had 4 legit D1 players and probably 2 or 3 more that were in every aspect except grades and Vince went 60+ untouched for TDs twice against them. he said Vince was the best he ever saw and it wasn't really even close    

obligatory Fuck Jeff Fisher

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

a good friend was a high school DC and HC in the Houston area for many years and coached and coached against many really good players. he had a defense that had 4 legit D1 players and probably 2 or 3 more that were in every aspect except grades and Vince went 60+ untouched for TDs twice against them. he said Vince was the best he ever saw and it wasn't really even close    

I'm no coach, but he's the best college football player I've ever seen. By the end of his soph year there was no way to really defend him. I mean, there would be plays where the snap would be mishandled, the ball would bounce around, and Vince would pick it up and run for 12 yards. 

VY's dropped snaps were better plays than anything we ran from 2010-2015. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Bigger than the linebackers and faster than the secondary is a pretty good combination.

We should get more guys like that.

I'm afraid Vince was a once in a lifetime type of guy... the likes of which we will probably never witness again.

22 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I'm afraid Vince was a once in a lifetime type of guy... the likes of which we will probably never witness again.

Absolutely. The crazy thing about Vince is that no matter what amazing thing he did it always seemed effortless. Even on 4th and 5 Vince essentially walks in to the end zone, or at least thats how he made it feel. The guy was an athletic freak, charamatic leader, all with the clutch gene. The Best Ever.

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Eggo said:

I love when the announcer says the defense "has never seen anything like him." Gives me chills every time. 

In one of the two Rose Bowls Fouts said someone asked him who Young reminded him of.  Fouts said, "he doesn't remind me of anyone."

(But I'd put in a Randall Cunningham vote).

His open-field running style was a thing of beauty, and I don't know if I've ever seen anyone like him.  If defensive backs sprinted to the point he was gonna be, he'd just cut back behind them, and he did it with incredible fluidity and grace, never breaking stride.

It they played him to cut back, he'd just sprint past them.  

Edited by Paul Wesley

10 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

dude, commas are free of charge on this board. 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I'm no coach, but he's the best college football player I've ever seen. By the end of his soph year there was no way to really defend him. I mean, there would be plays where the snap would be mishandled, the ball would bounce around, and Vince would pick it up and run for 12 yards. 

VY's dropped snaps were better plays than anything we ran from 2010-2015. 

QFTMFT.

11 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

not if you listen to Aggies talk about their recruiting-- pretty much every guy they've brought in for 15 years was or is better than Vince, who also wasn't really all that good anyway

Edited by SwanderedTalent

11 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I am thankful that I was able to watch him numerous times in person and old enough to appreciate what I was witnessing.

Same here.  I wasn't at either of the Rose Bowls, but I attended every home game of his career, every OU game of his career (including the '03 and '04 Mack Brown Specials), and the 2005 Big XII title game. 

15 hours ago, USMCHorn said:

Absolutely. The crazy thing about Vince is that no matter what amazing thing he did it always seemed effortless. Even on 4th and 5 Vince essentially walks in to the end zone, or at least thats how he made it feel. The guy was an athletic freak, charamatic leader, all with the clutch gene. The Best Ever.

Yes, this has always amazed me about VY.  It doesn't even look like he's exerting the slightest bit of effort while he outruns the entire defense, and he made those plays over and over and over again during his three years.  The greatest and most dominant CFB athlete I've ever seen.  

Edited by Dutch

I remember when he converted the 4th and 16 against Kansas (how we got to that point is irrelevant to my purposes here).

As he started to run, I was yelling, "Idiot! It's 4th down! Just throw it somewhere!". As he glided out of bounds, I just knew we'd lost the game, because he'd only run 8 of the 16 needed.

It took me several seconds to realize that yes, he had indeed covered all 16 yards, plus a few more, with those long casual strides. No matter how fast the defender was, Vince was just a step faster. He'd just roll out of arm (or any other type) tackles.

Just about every defensive player in the Big 12 "almost" tackled Vince Young that season.

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yes, this has always amazed me about VY.  It doesn't even look like he's exerting the slightest bit of effort while he outruns the entire defense, and he made those plays over and over and over again during his three years.  The greatest and most dominant CFB athlete I've ever seen.  

I think the TD against the Texans is the one exception to this I can think of. He really looked like he had it floored on that one, like he was 100% sold out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:
I think the TD against the Texans is the one exception to this I can think of. He really looked like he had it floored on that one, like he was 100% sold out. 

Because he was pissed they didnt draft him

yup, talk about "it just means more"

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

"Wasn't impressed. I expect my QB to sell out 110%." - Jeff Fisher.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Perhaps yes, but he was making a field full of elite football players look stupid and not a college team that may have a handful of NFL prospects on the field at a time.

Vince had the "It" factor many times over.

11 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

not if you listen to Aggies talk about their recruiting-- pretty much every guy they've brought in for 15 years was or is better than Vince Radio, who also wasn't really all that good anyway

Fixed per TexAgs

I’ve said it on here before. That was the only time I’d ever seen him run and look like it. The rest of the time, he seems to jog. But that run, he looked like he head was on fire and his ass was catching.

On 6/25/2019 at 3:52 PM, jeevsie said:

Obligatory - I was there.

So was I.   Left Fairbanks at around 8:00 pm on NYE, flew to LAX, got dropped off in Pasadena and tailgated with a bunch of the old Hornfans crew.   Watched the FG for the win and hauled ass back up the hill to Pasadena to grab a cab for the flight back.   I think I slept maybe 3-4 hours the entire trip .   I was back in Alaska for dinner on the 2nd.   Best 48 (sports) hours of my life. 

The real key to this Rose Bowl was downfield blocking.   Our WRs (like Tony Jeffrey) just destroyed Michigan.   Look at that 60 yard run.   The WRs are hauling ass to pick off guys and run interference.   VY was a beast but the the team was in tune and on target.