2020 Democratic Debates Watch Thread

bad_teammate

I think Booker did well and he may actually ding Kamala who did ok but nothing special but I don't think either broke Biden, it will be up to the next debate perhaps.  Biden's biggest danger is actually himself, not any particular candidate.  I always have mixed emotions about Tulsi as this is truly the candidate that I actually on a personal direct level know so much more than what is shown on her public persona, but she did well tonight.  

Skimming through this thread...holy shit. We’ve got to ignore the trolls. They’re getting more subtle, but that’s their strategy. Little seeds here and there. It’s shameful, and anybody who gives a shit about this country (whether you support Trump or hate him) should stop with these bullshit zingers.

If you are an actual American who supports Trump, fine. I’m not going to change your mind. Just be an actual American and stop repeating the troll-farm talking points.

• Like 1

She needs to figure out what Bernie hasn't. How to go to SC and the rest of the Deep South and talk to older black people. Unless she can make a dent in Biden's numbers it's not going to last.

Edit: with not to. She got to be real. Talking to is not the same as with.

Edited by cactusflinthead

Warren won this debate.  Booker was very good and it may let him survive until next debate but it was a bad night and really bad platform for front runners.  Bernie came out bloody from last night too.  Booker, Yang and Castro had nice nights but will it matter much?  Biden and Harris did not.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

That was a mess for the frontrunners.  

Decriminalizing illegal border crossings is a dead dog loser. You can’t take care of Americans  in need with that position. 

Climate change is a worldwide problem. We are 15 percent of the problem. 

Healthcare is a mess for Americans. Those with government and Fortune 500 benefits don’t understand the depth of the problem because they do not have 15,000 dollar deductibles with heavy copays and premiums (or no insurance). Americans will listen to the progressive plans that rid of the profits from healthcare because good health care plans don’t exist for outside of large corporations and government. The new reality is that Medicare is better care for most. That is a huge shift the baby boomers do not understand. 

And there is a 3rd rail out there named Obama. Attacking Obama is not smart politics. If he is fair game, the Party has lost its touchstone.  

Last night was much more aspirational. Tonight was bitter. 

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:
She needs to figure out what Bernie hasn't. How to go to SC and the rest of the Deep South and talk to older black people. Unless she can make a dent in Biden's numbers it's not going to last.

Edit: with not to. She got to be real. Talking to is not the same as with.

I'm not sure what a Warren/Trump debate would look like. She has thought about just anything you can throw at her, and she has good answers. But how does that play out when the Toddler-in-Chief is interrupting with childish remarks and making shit up on the fly.

Prediction: by the time we do this again in 45 days, Joe is still leading (by less though) and the order hasn’t changed much. Maybe 1-2-3-4 are much closer but it’s depressing how little it’ll move the needle in July 2019. 

Please get us to Jan 2020. I can’t watch 3 more of these. 

4 minutes ago, retread said:

I'm not sure what a Warren/Trump debate would look like. She has thought about just anything you can throw at her, and she has good answers. But how does that play out when the Toddler-in-Chief is interrupting with childish remarks and making shit up on the fly.

She's going to have to hit back. 

Edit: Joe knows how to counter a bully. He's not much good at y'know actually thinking, but he knows how to hit someone. 

Edited by cactusflinthead

I really don't like the fact that Joe and Kamala didn't have a very good night.

I feel like the frontrunners getting pulled back to the pack can only help Donald Trump.  I'd be happier if we could get this field down to 3 or 4 sooner than later.  There's something unsettling about watching any of these candidates take shots from so many others.  It's one thing to watch Biden get hammered by Kamala, but it's another to watch Biden get hammered by everybody.  And they're all gonna get hammered by everybody if the field stays this crowded.  Somebody's gonna win, but they're gonna come away very damaged.  

Just now, Larry T. Spider said:

The key to dealing with trump is attacking right back when attacked. Make it a short cutting jab, then get right back on topic. You can’t let him beat you up and not respond, but you also can’t get into the weeds with him. That’s his wheelhouse.

Which is why Joe is the worst person to debate him. It would be an embarrassing slap right of insults and threats. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Michael Moore is making some excellent points on MSNBC, the main point being that Democrats need to stop trying to get back white male working class voters. They are gone.

He's absolutely right. 

Some of us blue collar souls have something resembling a clue. If the others can't figure out who's on their side that's on them. 

1 minute ago, Larry T. Spider said:

The key to dealing with trump is attacking right back when attacked. Make it a short cutting jab, then get right back on topic. You can’t let him beat you up and not respond, but you also can’t get into the weeds with him. That’s his wheelhouse.

^ Yep. Remember last year when Epstein was at the top of the news cycle and Mueller testified before Congress.

Just now, TexArcher said:

I feel like the frontrunners getting pulled back to the pack can only help Donald Trump.  I'd be happier if we could get this field down to 3 or 4 sooner than later.  There's something unsettling about watching any of these candidates take shots from so many others.  It's one thing to watch Biden get hammered by Kamala, but it's another to watch Biden get hammered by everybody.  And they're all gonna get hammered by everybody if the field stays this crowded.  Somebody's gonna win, but they're gonna come away very damaged.  

A lot of nobodies need a 1% boost or a few more donors to make it on the stage in September - hence going hard at front runners. The DNC not cutting their access sooner is looking stupider each and every debate. 

5 minutes ago, retread said:

I said previously he would have her red faced and yelling alot.

Not sure exactly how that plays out politically.

could be “Liz the fighter” or “Liz the angry bitch”

obviously both would be party talking points.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Michael Moore is making some excellent points on MSNBC, the main point being that Democrats need to stop trying to get back white male working class voters. They are gone.

He's absolutely right. 

Then you lose.  100 percent.

• Like 1

These post-debate discussions that they're having on CNN are so much more impactful than 1 minute debate speeches and gotcha moments interrupted by the moderator.

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I said previously he would have her red faced and yelling alot.Not sure exactly how that plays out politically.

I could see something like this happening.

Warren: <starts talking>
Trump: Sen. Warren, you know that you never blah blah blah ...
Warren: Mr. President, please show respect for this forum and don't interrupt me...  as I was saying ________
Trump: <makes mocking face> *Crowd giggles*

Edited by retread

1 minute ago, retread said:

These post-debate discussions that they're having on CNN are so much more impactful than 1 minute debate speeches and gotcha moments interrupted by the moderator.

A candidate should come out and interrupt them constantly. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A candidate should come out and interrupt them constantly. 

lol. The talking heads by themselves are worthless if they're just propping up their favorites.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. They were interviewing Booker a minute ago and it was a more real conversation.

Edited by retread

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

But ok broski. 

Not sure if serious?  You know how many traditional Dems from the midwest, particularly whites, flipped in favor of Trump the last time around?  That's why I laughed at the whole Union intro for the debates tonight - if the Union members hadn't flipped to Trump, we wouldn't have the current shitshow.  

23 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

If they can't hold up against the likes of Tulsi Gabbard and the other also rans, how are they going to hold up over the next year of a withering campaign?    Sanders and Warren took plenty of heavy fire last night and held up much better because they actually know what they're talking about and don't have the same baggage of conflicting positions in the past. 

• Like 1

If there was a winner tonight I thought it was Booker; Warren is probably the overall winner after 2 debates. My Johnson vote is legit up for grabs, so I'm hoping for a moderate. Biden was sloppy ("anyway") but relative to Trump...

16 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

If they can't hold up against the likes of Tulsi Gabbard and the other also rans, how are they going to hold up over the next year of a withering campaign?    Sanders and Warren took plenty of heavy fire last night and held up much better because they actually know what they're talking about and don't have the same baggage of conflicting positions in the past. 

I've been told Tulsi is a Russian agent!

1564629300590-pol.png
1564629257534-pol.png
1564628750142-pol.png
1564628113481-pol.png
1564624697320-pol.png
1564624395527-pol.png
1564624369839-pol.png

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Observations: I'm fine moving Biden and Harris and the dudes on the ends out of the running.  Harris was really off-putting I thought.

I'm intrigued by the sweat on Tulsi's bosom.  She's not ready for prime time.

I'm thinking Castro and Booker look okay.  Wish Inslee had a bit more oomph. 

K. Gillibrand - I admire her sand but she's think she's feisty, but I think she couldn't get back a lot of our sexism.

I feel exactly the same way about everything. Tulsi's shine was provocative.

Inslee, who I know nothing about, impressed me. He's right to call attention to the pending climate crisis. I would like to have some idea of how he'd do in a bloody debate. He looks like a man who could stand up to Trump and make him shrink, but his politeness might be his undoing. I hope he stays in a while longer.

I feel as you do about Booker and Castro. 

Joe Biden is just past it, and it's kind of sad. At his sharpest, he would have handled this election just fine from a political standpoint. He would have made Trump a fool in a debate. His moment is gone. If he gets the nomination, I see trouble in the spotlight.