Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

27 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Oh and I glossed over some of the wildly inaccurate recruiting nuggets, like that Jase was actually recruited by Jai and Morrell didn't recruit Jacob Young. These aren't trade secrets or anything.

Exactly, was Jai even allowed to recruit off campus before Cason was fired? 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Exactly, was Jai even allowed to recruit off campus before Cason was fired? 

No.

Maybe I should rephrase that earlier post for clarity, it reads a little wonky:

Chip says Morrell was recruiting Jacob Young. He was not.

Chip says Morrell was recruiting Jase Febres. Jai recruited Febres.

Chip says Texas lost on Culver due to firing Cason; Tech had been in on him for a long time and was tops for the Lubbock kid from the jump.

Chip says Texas lost on Zhaire Smith due to firing Cason; Cason was late on Smith, Tech had the jump and Ogden was the lead recruiter.

Chip says Tevin Mack is a senior. He's a junior.

Chip spends a few sentences offering up vaporware insinuations about the Bowen & Bamba recruitments without anything substantive at all. Chip does not have the receipts, as usual.

This piece is trash.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

Can we try the tactic is using to get rid of their coach? We have a tennis opening.

Drew on Friday had his first sit-down meeting with new athletic director Malcolm Turner, sources told ESPN. In what would be an unusual move, Turner is looking to reassign Drew to another position in the school to avoid paying his buyout, according to sources.

No, that won't work. You can't say "oh we decided it would be best for both parties if Shaka pushed a broom for a while and then that just happened to invalidate his buyout so we coincidentally just fired him from his new role"

It is extremely commonplace to reassign coaches to do-nothing jobs in the athletic department while they're moving on, by agreement of both parties, when they're not fired for cause (NCAA violations, moral turpitude). But it's only ever window dressing-- that kind of reassignment is usually PART of the buyout ("you gotta show up for some kind of work") rather than any kind of alleviation of it. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

9 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

No. Maybe I should rephrase that earlier post for clarity, it reads a little wonky:  Chip says Morrell was recruiting Jacob Young. He was not. Chip says Morrell was recruiting Jase Febres. Jai recruited Febres. Chip says Texas lost on Culver due to firing Cason; Tech had been in on him for a long time and was tops for the Lubbock kid from the jump.Chip says Texas lost on Zhaire Smith due to firing Cason; Cason was late on Smith, Tech had the jump and Ogden was the lead recruiter. Chip says Tevin Mack is a senior. He's a junior. Chip spends a few sentences offering up vaporware insinuations about the Bowen & Bamba recruitments without anything substantive at all. Chip does not have the receipts, as usual. This piece is trash.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

So basically, we're where we expected to be. Shaka gets to mismanage the program at every level for at least another year. And when he finally leaves, he will have made out like a bandit for mismanaging the program at every level.

Wonder what attendance will look like next year?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

So basically, we're where we expected to be. Shaka gets to mismanage the program at every level for at least another year. And when he finally leaves, he will have made out like a bandit for mismanaging the program at every level.

NIT attendance might be a good clue

41 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Will Baker better be Larry fucking Bird, because we lose our three best players from this incredibly average team. I feel like bubble team is our ceiling next year. 

Kind of like this year. Only next year, it won't be a surprise.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Will Baker better be Larry fucking Bird, because we lose our three best players from this incredibly average team. I feel like bubble team is our ceiling next year. 

Maybe,  a healthy Andrew Jones is an upgrade over Roach, and Dylan was hit and miss this year.  Hayes is obviously a loss with no replacement in sight,  but the main thing this team has missed is toughness and resiliency in the clutch along with consistent rebounding, which has been an issue for Shaka's teams from day 1 on the forty. And unless that changes significantly we're in for more close losses.  

No.
Maybe I should rephrase that earlier post for clarity, it reads a little wonky:
Chip says Morrell was recruiting Jacob Young. He was not.
Chip says Morrell was recruiting Jase Febres. Jai recruited Febres.
Chip says Texas lost on Culver due to firing Cason; Tech had been in on him for a long time and was tops for the Lubbock kid from the jump.
Chip says Texas lost on Zhaire Smith due to firing Cason; Cason was late on Smith, Tech had the jump and Ogden was the lead recruiter.
Chip says Tevin Mack is a senior. He's a junior.
Chip spends a few sentences offering up vaporware insinuations about the Bowen & Bamba recruitments without anything substantive at all. Chip does not have the receipts, as usual.
This piece is trash.

I would normally say “user name checks out” but fuck Chip.

5 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

I feel like slapping Mike Perrin around but it’s after 7 so he’s probably in bed and would only be confused 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Golden Hat said:

So, where are we on this?

Poetry

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Maybe,  a healthy Andrew Jones is an upgrade over Roach, and Dylan was hit and miss this year.  Hayes is obviously a loss with no replacement in sight,  but the main thing this team has missed is toughness and resiliency in the clutch along with consistent rebounding, which has been an issue for Shaka's teams from day 1 on the forty. And unless that changes significantly we're in for more close losses.  

Close losses?

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes. We're talking about Texas next year. 

OK.

I'm not about to sit here and claim we're going to be good or anything, or that Shaka is a good coach, but we are still talented enough to keep things competitive in just about every contest we play.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

OK.

I'm not about to sit here and claim we're going to be good or anything, or that Shaka is a good coach, but we are still talented enough to keep things competitive in just about every contest we play.

I mean it was half of a joke. It doesn't seem like UT will be any better next year - if anything probably worse. If Shaka stays put there's the chance the close losses could turn into ugly losses. 

I think I heard he was 4-10 in close games.  Those are where his incompetence shines most.  But, I have to agree that the 19 point leads that turn into close losses might turn into blow outs next year.  

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

OK.

Still hope the players keep improving.

Question:  Who has Shaka and his coaches recruited that has provided quality leadership on the court??

I just wonder how much effort goes into finding higher character leaders for Shaka's roster.  The basketball IQ of his team's are horrible.I

One thing Herman's staff seems to be improving is accountability from their players....... Shaka's players not at all.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:47 PM, Machinator said:

With or without Shaka, the basketball program goes on. Declining the NIT only does a disservice to the players by not allowing them to gain further experience (even with substandard guidance).

The guys that need the minutes don't play anyway.

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So, Matt Coleman at the point?  Any hope of someone taking his spot?  I'm a little tired of "hey, he's actually pretty quick" being the high point of most games.

15 hours ago, jinx said:

I think I heard he was 4-10 in close games.  Those are where his incompetence shines most.  But, I have to agree that the 19 point leads that turn into close losses might turn into blow outs next year.  

Except we’ll never get those leads 

• Like 1

Btw, hard pass on Musselman. I’d rather drive a Smart car for one more year than ride the Mus Bus for four years. 

They played no one all year and squeaked by bad teams and he lost in the first round with a senior-laden squad. He’d be Shaka all over again except good on O and bad on D.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ztejas said:

I mean it was half of a joke. It doesn't seem like UT will be any better next year - if anything probably worse. If Shaka stays put there's the chance the close losses could turn into ugly losses. 

That will be our metric of success next year--the ratio of close losses to ugly losses.

Hot damn! I'm psyched.

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah but think how pumped you'll be when instead of having to pay a $13 million dollar buyout, we'll only have to pay $10 million. We'll probably light the tower for that money that we saved. 

i read this post in this voice:

A poster on IT keeps hinting that both CDC and Shaka’s agent are backchanneling, whatever that means.  This poster insists that Shaka won’t be fired but sounds like he’s hinting at that doesn’t mean Shaka will be here next year.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Man watching some of these teams not run inept offenses with a fraction of the talent Shaka has recruited is frustrating.

every time some guard confidently hits a jumper off the dribble i'm just like, "whoaaaa, i remember that! that's a jump shot! we used to do that a long time ago. huh." 

Shaka need look no further than the firing of Avery Johnson to see his fate. The similarities are too numerous to mention. Almost a mirror image of Shaka’s four year run of mediocrity here with the only possible exception that Shaka recruited better.

Love how FU Chip Brown tweets about the team and Shaka when they're in danger of losing but nothing after they win. He's so in the fire Shaka camp. Much to Chip's, and many in this threads chagrin, he may have saved his job by getting the last 2 wins. 

12 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Love how FU Chip Brown tweets about the team and Shaka when they're in danger of losing but nothing after they win. He's so in the fire Shaka camp. Much to Chip's, and many in this threads chagrin, he may have saved his job by getting the last 2 wins. 

The only thing saving Shaka's job is his ridiculous $12.9M buyout.

• Like 3

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic