Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I don’t know man. I’ve been advocating for them to hire anyone with a pulse at this point, but if that’s the pick you might as well see how many kids you can get to sign on NSD1 before making that announcement.

Jesus Christ. If the reason they’re holding off is because they’re worried it’s so underwhelming they may lose some commits...   

23 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

There are so many great options for the WR coach too. It's going to be near impossible for Herman to fuck it up. But we're waiting so long. JFC Tom.

I'm not even going to post the rumor I heard it's so ridiculous.  But I certainly don't have any faith it's going to be anyone everyone is ecstatic about either.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Jesus Christ. If the reason they’re holding off is because they’re worried it’s so underwhelming they may lose some commits...   

We’ve reached unfathomable levels absurdity here but I refuse to believe that guy is being considered. I would think if Tom brought that guy to CDC and asked him to draw up a contract he’d get axed on the spot.

Long but detailed analysis of Courtney Messingham's offense below.

(Ross Uglem) SPECIAL ANALYSIS: The Messingham Playbook

To understand the Courtney Messingham offensive system that's coming to Kansas State, you have to travel back in time a bit. You see, NDSU's system isn't truly his. Not a whole lot changed when Tim Polasek left to coach Iowa's offensive line in 2017. Frankly not much changed when he took over NDSU's offense from Brent Vigen after Vigen followed Bohl to Wyoming.

North Dakota State hired Bob Babich to replace Rocky Hager when they were still in NCAA D2.  The 1996 team was a heavy option run team, as QB Kevin Feeney led the team with 182 rushing attempts. Babich installed the Power I in '97 moving forward, and the NDSU pro-style offense was born. It evolved into more of a West Coast scheme when Bohl arrived and brought in Northwestern transfer Tony Stauss to usher NDSU into Division I.

Here is the program's glorious bread and butter: Power.

NDSU's offense is no longer "West Coast".  The quick slants and short passing game, in general, are not a primary way of moving the ball down the field.  North Dakota State now contracts the defense by slamming the ball down their throats with the run game, then when the safeties are up, they go over the top.  NDSU quarterback Easton Stick, a legit pro prospect, has an AY/A of 10.9.  That's kind of a silly number.  When posed against Skylar Thompson's 6.7 and Alex Delton's 6.3 it looks even sillier.  Stick is averaging nearly 16 yards per completion, and his Average Depth of Target has to be close to leading the FCS.  They bomb the ball down the field.

Kansas State is really getting a continuously evolving version of the NDSU offense that started when Bohl arrived, not some system that Messingham brought with him from Iowa State and Montana State.  Make no mistake, Coach Mess brought that offense to new heights, but the roots lie deep within Bison Football.  Let's break down what Wildcat fans can expect from their new offense.  I'll try to point out specific ideas and tendencies from Messingham when I can.

A-Gap Power

I'll start by saying there won't be a better explanation of NDSU's power scheme than the one done by USA Football's Noah Riley.  The basic difference in the way that most teams run power and that way that NDSU does it is the shuffle pull from the pulling guard to keep his shoulders square to the hole.  Usually, a pulling guard will open up and run square to the sideline executing a "kick out" block a defensive end or outside linebacker.  Watch 64 shuffle his feet and lead 8 through the hole.

There are plenty of A Gap Power runs for three and four yards in the first quarter that turned into 60 and 70-yard gains in the second half because teams are simply worn down.  It's a difficult play to defend down after down after down.

RB Vert / RB Wheel

This is the most famous concept from NDSU's scheme.  Both because of just how lethal it is and because it's been co-opted by multiple NFL offenses.  ESPN.com's Mike Sando profiled the concept.  It first made it's an appearance in 2014, the first season Carson Wentz was the starter.  It's a Tim Polasek idea that Messingham has tweaked and still uses with incredible efficiency. Here's the first example I could find of the route concept, though RB/FB Chase Morlock lined up as the tight end in this example.

It's usually to a running back out of the backfield though:

and often comes out of this formation.  Some offenses will call this "Gun Trey", some an "inverted wishbone", and I believe NDSU refers to it as "Delta".

Messingham as found a couple different ways to utilize this route combo.  He's stressed the seam as well as faking an inside run instead of a sweep. The play has been so successful over the years that fans recognize it when it starts to develop and usually rise to their feet.

Shotgun Run Game: Zone Read, Inside Zone and QB Power

This is certainly one that K-State fans will recognize.  In fact, I would guess a lot of K-State fans would say they've seen a little too much zone read and inside zone.  That's kind of how you end up with Alex Barnes, Skylar Thompson and Alex Delton accounting for 446 of K-State's 503 rushing attempts.  Those 446 rushing attempts counted for 56% of every play Kansas State called.  The Wildcats ran it almost 2x as much as they threw it.  I'd care to say 85+% of those attempts were out of the gun.  There are certainly shotgun run plays in NDSU's lexicon. 

You can see a similar read of the backside end here between Delton and Barnes in the '18 Cactus Bowl.  Frankly, this is probably one that Delton should've kept, but ultimately Barnes makes the play and gets the DE across his face anyway.

QB Power is always one to watch for from Messingham, specifically in the red zone. 

Run-Pass Options

This will ultimately depend on how much trust is established between Messingham and his quarterbacks.  RPOs (Run-Pass Options) are not something that belong in every offense, and contrary to popular belief they're not the same thing as play-action passes.  They require a skilled QB that can process information quickly.  I believe Skylar Thompson has every tool in the world to be that QB. We'll see. When executed correctly they're darn near indefensible.  When executed poorly it's begging for disaster, specifically the ineligible men downfield type of disaster.  Also turnovers. Those are a

North Dakota State's use of the run-pass option really increased during Stick's Junior and Senior seasons, both under QB coach Randy Hedberg (staying at NDSU) and Coach Mess.

"Smash" Route Concept

One of the Messingham specials is the "Smash" route concept.  This ITP profile on the concept actually includes NDSU film.  The basic concept is an outside receiver runs a stop route, either a hook or a curl, and a slot or tight end runs a corner or flag route.  

spacer.png

It stresses C2 because the C2 Corner sits on the stop route and the C2 safety can't get to the sideline fast enough.  It also works just fine against Man to Man and C4.  Usually, against C3 the stop route is an easy pitch and catch. 

Ultimately, expect there to be more under center looks, but for the run-pass ratio to remain similar.  If K-State can continue to play excellent defense, Messingham/NDSU's run control/deep passing offense will use multiple personnel to confuse defenses and succeed at Kansas State.  Expect mass skill position substitutions play in and play out and plenty of pre-snap motion.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I was wondering why Boyd kept prefacing what he was about to write and then I got to the part where he suggested Overshown at Boundary safety in a Quarters defense. Yeesh. That is classic Boyd overthinking shit, especially when you have someone like Chris Brown to play there. And comparing him to Edmunds or Chancellor who played in completely different defenses also doesn’t make any sense. 

I do like the idea of Jamison at Nickel and Foster spinning down to LB, if he can be sold on it. Jamison has the aggressiveness and physicality to hold up at Nickel when someone in your defensive front actually has responsibility for holding the edge. 

I think Boyd is Herman's brother from another mother. They're both pretty dogmatic, and probably a little too clever for their own good.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

Assuming Texas can’t change QJ’s mind, they should look at Savion Williams, who’s was supposed to sign with SMU on weds, but word is he’s holding off until February 

Wells brought up Caleb Medford (TCU commit) as a possibility too.

Edited by satyanash

15 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Being a Texas fan is a fucking curse 

Nah. We're sittin' here bitching about a coach who just went 7-5, and we're thinking there's a good chance he's gonna be gone in less than 12 months. We could be sitting here at 7-5 and looking at 8 more years to finish paying him $75 million, while we wonder how the hell we got anthrax viruses on our ding-dongs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not if Del Conte goes anti-herman and has a plan in place that includes a splash hire for in place by December 1st. 

If Dabo Swinney himself announced he would be the next Texas HC on December 1st, wouldn't mean a top 15 finish for 2021. Kids aren't just gonna flock to a coach despite his track record without having that relationship first.  But I hope Tom makes us look like idiots and gets us 10/11 wins next season..  

Just now, 4th and 5 said:

It’s almost like this announcement from Harrell was perfectly timed to help USC recruiting, also help his alma mater’s recruiting and fuck Texas’ recruiting.

I mean,  who could have seen this coming?

Any competent administration during a coaching search that has multiple candidates with contingency plans if things fall through and understanding the importantly of controlling the narrative and creating momentum.

1 minute ago, 4th and 5 said:

It’s almost like this announcement from Harrell was perfectly timed to help USC recruiting, also help his alma mater’s recruiting and fuck Texas’ recruiting.

I mean,  who could have seen this coming?

Harrell is a TCU alumni? lol