The 2018 New Music Thread

C-Man

21 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

Jack White's new album (Boarding House Reach) is pretty sporadic but a few standouts: Corporation, Ice Station Zebra, Connected by Love.

I haven’t listened to all of it, but man I was not a fan of what I did hear. 

And that is coming from a pretty big Jack White fan. 

On 3/27/2018 at 6:25 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

I haven’t listened to all of it, but man I was not a fan of what I did hear. 

And that is coming from a pretty big Jack White fan. 

It’s better as a whole than my initial impression from the one time hearing the first single. I haven’t had a chance to listen to it more than once but I feel it will grow on me. 

On 3/30/2018 at 4:09 PM, Waterface said:

Amen Dunes' new record, "Freedom", is the tits. Also, new Sarah Shook and Moondoggies albums coming in the next month.

Seconded the Amen Dunes rec. Will see how if holds up after a few listens, but first time through was great. 

• 2 weeks later...

Other than this site (or its unnamed predecessor), where do you go for new music recommendations and reviews?  I swing by metacritic, but it’s too eclectic in terms of music genres (not sure why, but hard core bands and world music seem to universally compile better scores than every other type of music). Avclub used to be a good source but they are off their game in terms of new music reviews.  

2 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

Other than this site (or its unnamed predecessor), where do you go for new music recommendations and reviews?  I swing by metacritic, but it’s too eclectic in terms of music genres (not sure why, but hard core bands and world music seem to universally compile better scores than every other type of music). Avclub used to be a good source but they are off their game in terms of new music reviews.  

Tiny Mixtapes, Pitchfork.

Sometimes I use sputnikmusic as well but that site heavily favors metal.

I use albumoftheyear.org to see who released that week. they have user and critic generated releases, but i don't typically read them. i go to spotify and load anything interesting i saw on the site onto a playlist and just weed out the albums/singles from there as i listen to them.

On 4/30/2018 at 2:56 PM, C-Man said:

Was listening to new Dr Dog the other day. Didn't get through much but liked what I hear. Seeing them for the first time at Granada a week from Friday. I'm pretty pumped.

Seen'em quite a few times... they put on a good show. I like the new album a lot; in fact I might go as far as to say that it may be their best since Shame Shame. I had become disillusioned with them after a stretch of underwhelming albums, so glad I found myself enjoying the laid back vibes on this one.

I've also gone through the Okervil River album a few times. That guy's voice irritates me but I dug more of it than I didn't. 

On 4/19/2018 at 5:09 PM, HoustonHorn said:

Car Seat Headrest is pretty incredible. Heard a couple songs in my car or at work and wasn't getting into it. Listened to it on my headphones on a flight last week and was blown away.

it's outrageous how good twin fantasy is. i got tickets to their 9/15 brooklyn show. can't wait. 

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I like the new Leon Bridges after my first listen. It's clear that he wanted to do some different stuff and not just make the same album again. Every now and then it doesn't work, but overall I think it's a good record.

supposedly he recorded what was more or less coming home 2.0 and decided to go a different direction - props to him for trying something new, and I agree that most seems to work, if somewhat generic in spots.