College Admission Essay Help

Tailgate

Tthe main thing is to tell a compelling story beyond the x's and o's of your volunteer work, sports and academics.  They read so much of this shit that is bad, a well written, dare I say entertaining, essay gets the edge. 

Tell them stuff that that don't gleam from the rest of the application.  With the shitty writing of the LOL, WTF, texting generation has to be exhausting as hell to read.  Tell a compelling story, with well structured english, and good adjectives and you are half way home.

Edited by horn4life

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Tthe main thing is to tell a compelling story beyond the x's and o's of your volunteer work, sports and academics.  They read so much of this shit that is bad, a well written, dare I say entertaining, essay gets the edge. 

Tell them stuff that that don't gleam from the rest of the application.  With the shitty writing of the LOL, WTF, texting generation has to be exhausting as hell to read.  Tell a compelling story, with well structured english, and good adjectives and you are half way home.

*glean

• Like 1

Dear Exclosive University:

I am a graduting Senior at ___ High School. I maintained a strong 2.9 GPA while partcipating in many athletic and service activities.  I was active in the A/V club, the Key Club, and was treasurer of the school 4H chapter until it closed due to an accounting oversight. You should admitt me to your university because my combination of academic and social skills would be a valuable edition to the student body. Please do not judge me sollee on my SAT score because I am not good at taking tests and that morning I had the shits real bad because of a bad breakfast taco. My personal interests and hobbys include civl war re-enactmints and watching Bering Sea Gold and Ax Men. If you select me to attend your university I will be the fist member of my family to attend college, besides my Aunt Becky who takes classes from the University of Phoenix. Thank you for your support,

Name Here

• Like 2

@Paper_jam   “If you select me to attend your university I will be the fist member of my family to attend college, besides my Aunt Becky who takes classes from the University of Phoenix. Thank you for your support,”

I’m not sure any college wants to see a reference to Aunt Becky on any freshman admission application for a while.  

• Like 1

Are you in Houston, perhaps?  If so, I have a real answer for you (but will have to look it up).  Used this guy to polish a law school application and wasn't disappointed.  Kind of helpful if your numbers are borderline to get you to the next level, whatever that level might be.

Edited by dcbc

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 9:32 PM, Tailgate said:

My youngest could use a good and experienced professional in this area to review what she is doing for her essay. If any of y’all have used anyone or know someone who specializes in these in the Austin area, please let me know.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Just post what she's got so far. We'll handle the rest.

39 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

who did you find and where are you?

I’m in Austin...but I found “The College Essay Guy” online. I did a phone interview with him and three others and really liked his concept and team and we are already seeing great results. He has a really strong background and was recently a speaker a the annual meeting of the association of college admissions counselors. Extremely responsive and my daughter really likes who she is working with and Ethan reviews all the final work.

• Like 1

I am working with my kid and her friends on this now.

Are you all seeing a pattern in how poorly these "honors" students write? Does school not teach proper writing? My kid and her friends are all top of class, straight A public school students. They have been in GT classes and, for the most part, read books quite often.

Their writing plain sucks and I can't figure out how they have gotten to senior year like this. These kids don't even understand the writing process. No rought drafts, outlines, notes, etc. Maybe my expectations are too high. I had to write a lot growing up in school with some tough teachers, including journalism and debate.

If I had ever turned in the essay my daughter's valedictorian gave me to proof, I would have been dropped to remedial English in 7th grade.

Edited by pacman

On 9/19/2019 at 9:41 PM, dcbc said:

Are you in Houston, perhaps?  If so, I have a real answer for you (but will have to look it up).  Used this guy to polish a law school application and wasn't disappointed.  Kind of helpful if your numbers are borderline to get you to the next level, whatever that level might be.

Look, OP couldn't explicitly say no Poles...but come on man, no Poles.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 2