Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

I’m Gen X, grew up with  the shoes, and idolized Jordan.
I think LeBron is better at basketball.

Yeah, my only point was that millennials are probably more familiar with LeBron than Jordan, because most were a little young for Jordan's heyday. Whereas GenXers like you and me have gotten to see plenty of both.

8 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:
15 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:
I’m Gen X, grew up with  the shoes, and idolized Jordan.
I think LeBron is better at basketball.

Yeah, my only point was that millennials are probably more familiar with LeBron than Jordan, because most were a little young for Jordan's heyday. Whereas GenXers like you and me have gotten to see plenty of both.

You're probably right, I got my gens confused.  Generational disputes also piss me off, but I don't think it's that unpopular an opinion.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

... idolized Jordan.

The Rolling Stones, United Center, 2013. Jagger addresses the audience.

"Hello, Chicago! When they told me this is the house MJ built, I thought they were talking about me."

• Like 1

I hate sour cream and anything with the sour cream flavor.

I refuse to eat ranch dressing or anything with ranch flavor.

I don't get "Old Country for Old Men" and I'm a huge Cohen Bros fan.  But not that one.

I can appreciate big picture story line of the Star Wars Prequels, and that bigger picture helps me to not hate the movies.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

then what the fuck is a burrito?

Pretty much in Guanajuato and places to which people from Guanajuato have emigrated, it means a bean and cheese taco. That same dish, by the way, is called a flauta in Tamaulipas. In the United States, a burrito is a large wrap with a bunch of junk in it. Throughout most of Mexico and most of Texas, however, a bean and cheese taco is just a taco.

But then, I'm explaining this to somebody who probably has rancher's balls for breakfast.

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

And if I see another LeBron v. Jordan argument I might gouge my eyes out. They played in different eras and had different games. Both are great and were/are the best of their era. The debate has become so predictable too. Millennials who grew up in the 90s insist on Jordan, younger folks like LeBron. Older folks just stroke the flames and will throw some old timer into the conversation. Enough already.

I was a Celtics and Pistons fan, I hated Jordan. If he had been traded to one of my teams, I would've liked him. I never understood the blind allegiance to Jordan. He was great but if you don't proclaim him as the all-powerful GOD OF BASKETBALL, then you are deemed an idiot. I feel the same about Kobe, Lebron, etc. 

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This is not an Unpopular Opinion below.....

You are an idiot.

This reminds me of the time, it seems like only yesterday, that I saw someone comment that Trump "made Dubya look like an MIT grad." Of course, Dubya's a Yale grad with an MBA from Harvard, which is ... I dunno, around the same level at worst? I reckon most of the people who thought GWB was "stupid" probably weren't exactly Norman Einsteins themselves.

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Pretty much in Guanajuato and places to which people from Guanajuato have emigrated, it means a bean and cheese taco. That same dish, by the way, is called a flauta in Tamaulipas. In the United States, a burrito is a large wrap with a bunch of junk in it. Throughout most of Mexico and most of Texas, however, a bean and cheese taco is just a taco.

But then, I'm explaining this to somebody who probably has rancher's balls for breakfast.

I was not aware of this Tamaulipan exception.

Flautas son de harina... pero solo en Victoria

De los creadores de “quesadillas con queso o sin queso” llegó un nuevo debate gastronómico: Las flautas, ¿son de maíz o de harina?

La discusión inició por un artículo de Wikipedia que señalaba que son preparados con tortillas de maíz y freídos, dándoles una textura crujiente y una figura similar al instrumento musical del mismo nombre.

Pero en Victoria, Tamaulipas, las cosas se hacen diferente: Las flautas son tacos de tortilla de harina suaves rellenas de guiso, mientras que los preparados con tortilla de maíz frita son conocidas como tacos dorados.

Aparentemente, este es el único lugar de la República donde se les conoce de esta manera, señalado por una actualización al artículo de la enciclopedia más grande del Internet.

Well fuck me. Up is down, down is up (in Tamaulipas)

Edited by GringoSalado
ses chupan ou

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

This reminds me of the time, it seems like only yesterday, that I saw someone comment that Trump "made Dubya look like an MIT grad." Of course, Dubya's a Yale grad with an MBA from Harvard, which is ... I dunno, around the same level at worst? I reckon most of the people who thought GWB was "stupid" probably weren't exactly Norman Einsteins themselves.

Funny how the idiot sons of rich and powerful people manage to find their way into Ivy League schools, isn't it?

• 3 months later...

but what about when oregon plays? 

and camping sucks is trending towards popular opinion on this thread. at VERY most I'll throw an inflatable mattress in the back of my SUV on a very cool fall night, but f doing the tent thing and all that. 

Similar to camping is the full on tailgating setup, that shit is so beyond overrated, especially if you're the one hosting/setting it up. And even more so at UT games where so much of it is in parking lots/on concrete. 

I root for the Euro's in the Ryder cup.  Fuck getting behind a bunch of rich entitled prima donnas.  The Euro's celebrate with their fans and enjoy the competition.  Could you imagine  Spieth, Tiger, or Bubba letting some random fans carry them up on their shoulders or even appreciate a pat on the back?  You can't because it wouldn't happen.  Go Euro's, keep the cup until we get some relatable golfers.  

Edited by Dertyberd

I can appreciate that but on the other hand, golf sucks.  It is a terrible sport.  I have golfed, hit balls at the range, played a few nice courses when I was younger and figuring out what I liked in life.  I came away realizing the only thing that could be more boring than playing golf is watching golf.   The only redeeming thing that has ever been associated with golf is that girl whose trophy pic looked like she was sucking a cock and Tiger's whore stories.  All that shit they do with clubs and balls is a waste of land.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I can appreciate that but on the other hand, golf sucks.  It is a terrible sport.  I have golfed, hit balls at the range, played a few nice courses when I was younger and figuring out what I liked in life.  I came away realizing the only thing that could be more boring than playing golf is watching golf.   The only redeeming thing that has ever been associated with golf is that girl whose trophy pic looked like she was sucking a cock and Tiger's whore stories.  All that shit they do with clubs and balls is a waste of land.  

Yep. I have given golf a chance be it watching and playing and does nothing for me. It's boring as fuck to play and even worse watching people do it on tv. It's not spectator sport at all. Tennis on the other hand is great to watch and play. It's an actual sport. Golf is an activity used for business deals and drinking. 

54 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Lake Baikal would like a word.

tumblr_o7luihXCqm1tchrkco1_500.gif

I'm sure he's referring to the manmade lakes in Texas and Oklahoma, and I assume most of the rest of the south.  I agree with him.  Even the "nice" lakes in my opinion are gross.  And even the "rich" lakes have a disproportionately large population of poor rednecks riding their financed jet skis.  

Edited by 'stache

that's another damn good point stache, the vast majority of the lake people are just trash. and you're right in that the manmade lakes of the south are my main reference as Tahoe and the west coast of Michigan are both great. 

Edited by bluto

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The lake attracts white trash, hillbillies and frat bros in terms of the lake activities. 

And the rest of us swim in the pool in our back yard.  Clean water and you only have to mingle with people you invite.  Oh, and I can drink because I'm not driving anywhere.

• Like 1