Mo Bamba

Machinator

Wow.  Way to go Mo.  13 points and 7 boards (4 on the offensive glass) and 2 blocks in only 25 minutes.  Pretty filthy debut for the young man.  He's gonna make a lot of friends on the team cleaning up garbage shots on the glass like they were.  It's not all enough to make me watch an NBA game but a stellar start to what will hopefully be a long and prolific career for the Longhorn.  

I would love to see a poster of the current Texas NBA bigs: Aldridge, Bamba, Allen, Thompson and Turner.

Then another poster of the current guards and small forwards:Durant, Bradley, Augustin, Tucker and Joseph.

Then a poster of all the olds: Ford, Thompson, Evans, Moore, etc.

Please give me this for Xmas.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/28/2019 at 5:47 PM, Henry Hill said:

currently seeing that the magic are offering vucevic 4/$90 which may be enough to keep him. if vucevic stays, do the magic deal mo? 

I'd woudn't say never because almost anyone is expendable for the right price, but I think the Magic still see Mo as a building block for the future who still needs to grow and develop. Remember he lost time to injury last season.

On 6/28/2019 at 6:47 PM, Henry Hill said:

currently seeing that the magic are offering vucevic 4/$90 which may be enough to keep him. if vucevic stays, do the magic deal mo? 

Heck no!    Bamba still doesnt look ready to be a full time starter.   Let him back up Vuc and play with him a little.  When the time comes and Mo is ready then you trade Vuc 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

is Mo Bamba the worst pick of the 2018 draft?

3E538A73-22F8-4942-88D1-0E1AD1E3D05D.jpeg

Jalen Brunson, DeVonte Graham, Mitchell Robinson, Gary Trent Jr, and Bruce Brown were all taken in the second round as well. Never in a million years would I have imagined Bamba being such a busy three years in. 

Edited by shadow_operative

On 2/26/2021 at 3:43 PM, shadow_operative said:

is Mo Bamba the worst pick of the 2018 draft?

3E538A73-22F8-4942-88D1-0E1AD1E3D05D.jpeg

Jalen Brunson, DeVonte Graham, Mitchell Robinson, Gary Trent Jr, and Bruce Brown were all taken in the second round as well. Never in a million years would I have imagined Bamba being such a busy three years in. 

Bagley will always be bc Sacto took him one spot in front of Luka and everyone in the world who knew hoops was like noooooooooooooooooo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow another one and done that was nowhere near ready for the NBA. What a surprise.

That rule needs to die in a fire. Either go straight from high school or go to college and be available for the draft at the age of 21 like baseball.

Fuck the NBA too by the way because it is the worst of all of the professional leagues.

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Wow another one and done that was nowhere near ready for the NBA. What a surprise.

That rule needs to die in a fire. Either go straight from high school or go to college and be available for the draft at the age of 21 like baseball.

Fuck the NBA too by the way because it is the worst of all of the professional leagues.

The NBA, as a business entity, gets to set the rules for their league to protect their interests. One way to protect teams - and a way to try to ensure a better product - is by enforcing a year outside of high school. There a plenty of good reasons for this, including the players' physical, emotional, basketball skill, and life-skill development. Also, it allows a much better scouting report on future success by ensuring kids have a more even proving ground than the AAU shitshow or high school. 

Are there occasional kids that are prepared for the rigors of the NBA direct from high school? Sure, but they are few and far between. There are so many more poor evaluations and bad draft picks that result from allowing high school kids into the NBA, as well as stunted development for kids not ready to go from living with momma to traveling a full NBA schedule. Allowing the NCAA to help develop the necessary skills, while attracting top talent to the league is a win-win for the NBA and the NCAA. 

Are there still players that aren't NBA ready after 1 season in the NCAA? Sure. Do NBA teams still misfire their assessments? Yep. That doesn't mean "1 and done" is inherently bad.

As far as Mo Bamba goes... He was raw and not physically big enough for the NBA after 1 NCAA season. It may have been the same case after 2 or 3 years at UT. But, the NBA had enough data to know who and what he was as a player when he got drafted. And indications are that he is mentally capable. He's unfortunately in a situation where he needs to gain strength and skills, along with lots of playing time to develop. Between an unfortunate injury and bad after-effects of COVID, he was unable to get much playing time and Orlando has decided that rather than develop a young player, they're going to stick with Vucevic. All while mired at the bottom of the standings. It doesn't make any sense. It would be better to get Mo Bamba and Fultz lots of playing time, tank for more draft picks, and trade Vucevic.

• Hook 'Em 1

@Hornlover makes good points. I think we're going to see the NBA slowly separating from the NCAA and promoting the G-league more as the preferred route for development and evaluation. This is going to be driven in part by the NCAA's free labor business model being blown up at some point and in part by the NBA seeking additional revenue streams as the appetite for live sports content continues to grow. That a true minor league will allow the big league team more flexibility and protection against bad evaluations is gravy.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/2/2021 at 2:25 AM, DonkeyCigars said:

I came here to post this question "What the heck happened and why does Mo Bamba suck?" after he didn't play today against the Mavs-- but really, what the heck happened? The dude was poised to be a good NBA player! Is it mental?

He had a number of lingering effects from COVID that derailed him last season when the NBA bubbled up, I'm not sure if he's fully recovered or not.

6 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

He had a number of lingering effects from COVID that derailed him last season when the NBA bubbled up, I'm not sure if he's fully recovered or not.

After catching the corona back in May he didn't come back to the court until January or February.  

On 3/11/2021 at 10:16 AM, Llogg said:

@Hornlover makes good points. I think we're going to see the NBA slowly separating from the NCAA and promoting the G-league more as the preferred route for development and evaluation. This is going to be driven in part by the NCAA's free labor business model being blown up at some point and in part by the NBA seeking additional revenue streams as the appetite for live sports content continues to grow. That a true minor league will allow the big league team more flexibility and protection against bad evaluations is gravy.

Yep, that's long overdue.   College coaches/programs have no real desire to prepare kids for the next level and there is nothing wrong with that.   They are paid to win games.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Yep, that's long overdue.   College coaches/programs have no real desire to prepare kids for the next level and there is nothing wrong with that.   They are paid to win games.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that college coaches don't want to prepare kids for the league. I mean, basketball is basketball. There are plenty of great teachers of the game at the college level. And it is in all of their best interest to see their players succeed at the next level. Great players beget more great players in recruiting which means more winning. Outside of the obvious cheating and corruption that goes on in recruiting, it's not an accident that Kentucky keeps churning out pros. 

I understand that's a little out of context but even if the g league takes on a more prominent role, there are still going to be plenty of players who opt for college. There is also a marketing value to the player for exposure in college that I think is going to be difficult for the NBA to replicate. Nobody cares about minor league baseball. I don't think people will care about minor league basketball. The NCAA tournament is a huge stage. 

2 hours ago, d2o said:

False.  Can name you one coach that's all he's interested in doing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that college coaches don't want to prepare kids for the league. I mean, basketball is basketball. There are plenty of great teachers of the game at the college level. And it is in all of their best interest to see their players succeed at the next level. Great players beget more great players in recruiting which means more winning. Outside of the obvious cheating and corruption that goes on in recruiting, it's not an accident that Kentucky keeps churning out pros. 

I understand that's a little out of context but even if the g league takes on a more prominent role, there are still going to be plenty of players who opt for college. There is also a marketing value to the player for exposure in college that I think is going to be difficult for the NBA to replicate. Nobody cares about minor league baseball. I don't think people will care about minor league basketball. The NCAA tournament is a huge stage. 

I don't they are "actively" not preparing them for the NAB but the college game and NBA are so drastically different now that preparing them for CBB success makes it almost impossible to predict who will be successful at the next level.

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

False.  Can name you one coach that's all he's interested in doing. 

One or even a few exceptions don't make the statement false.   And again, I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, d2o said:

Heck no!    Bamba still doesnt look ready to be a full time starter.   Let him back up Vuc and play with him a little.  When the time comes and Mo is ready then you trade Vuc 

Not sure now what you’d be able to get for Mo - they should’ve dealt as soon as Vuc’s new deal was set. I’ll never understand that pick with Vuc blocking his playing time. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

The Magic finally traded Vucevic, but they picked up Wendell Carter in return. Not sure if that's a good sign for Mo.

I would be sniffing around Mo if I was another team.  I know he's not good now but id like to get him into a good system to see if he can improve.

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2021/3/30/22359060/orlando-magic-mo-bamba-wendell-carter-jr-nikola-vucevic-steve-clifford

Spoiler

Balancing the Magic’s logjam at center with Wendell Carter Jr. and Mo Bamba
Even after trading Nikola Vucevic, the Magic still have to juggle playing time at center

Mo Bamba spent years playing backup center as Nikola Vucevic unexpectedly emerged into an All-Star.

When Vooch was somewhat unexpectedly traded, the Magic acquired another young center who Bamba will now have to compete with for playing time.

It was the newly-acquired Wendell Carter Jr. who was on the court during crunch time during the Magic’s 96-93 loss to the Lakers on Sunday, despite what had been a decent-enough performance from Bamba, at least in the eyes of some and also in the box score. Steve Clifford evaluates and prioritizes it differently, as he should, and that clearly will continue during what Bamba himself described as “more of a learning environment” within the organization following the trades.

“I’m not gonna come up here and make stuff up,” Clifford told reporters about the Magic’s performance after Sunday’s game. “We played hard, we didn’t play smart. We made a ton of mistakes and it’s hard to win on the road doing that. One thing we’re gonna do all the way through this now, we’re not going to make stuff up, that’s what bad franchises do, especially at the end of the year. We’re not doing that. Guys played good, I’ll say they played good. Guys are learning, it wasn’t that great.”

Tough love can be a good thing for a young, developing team like the Magic. Clifford is going to have a challenging juggling act over the final 26 games of the season, and of all the balls in the air, the most intriguing one will be how he balances the playing time of Carter, Bamba, and to a lesser degree, Khem Birch (a free-agent-to-be currently holding down a starting job that will probably soon belong to Carter).

The 21-year-old Carter is the more polished player than the 22-year-old Bamba at this stage, perhaps in all areas other than three-point shooting and shot blocking. Bamba has struggled with team defense, and Clifford doesn’t tolerate players being out of position or committing unnecessary fouls. That’s probably the reason that Clifford elected to play Carter down the stretch (and more minutes overall) than Bamba in what was Carter’s first game with the team (unless Bamba is still on a minutes restriction of some kind).

“Cliff doesn’t play mistake guys,” Bamba told reporters after practice on Monday. “He’s going to hold you accountable for being in the right spots, being in the right spot at the right time. We’re not really using this trade or this new look that we’re going with as an excuse to not win. We want to go out there and be competitive to the very end while also getting better.”

Bamba was asked what kind of opportunity the trades have created for him.

“There’s the elephant in the room,” Bamba said. “Playing behind an All-Star in Vooch, your minutes are limited. Now I think I get an opportunity to go out there, and not necessarily improve, but just go out there and just grow and get well acclimated with just how the game goes.”

That was my issues with Bamba not closing the game on Sunday, a night when he played well enough to earn the opportunity, and when Carter had little to no time to even glance at the playbook. The best way for Bamba to “grow and get well acclimated” is to be on the court, even if that means learning the hard way while making mistakes and being pushed around a little and playing through the challenges of development in the NBA.

Bamba sitting on the bench watching the new guy play over him on Day 1 seems more counterproductive to Bamba’s development than him potentially making a poor rotation or costly foul late in the fourth would have been. The watch-and-learn strategy with Bamba on the bench hasn’t worked out so well to this point. It’s time for some hands-on experience, particularly during meaningful stretches of the game.

There was no better time to do that than on Sunday night. It’s now on Clifford to find those minutes for both Carter and Bamba as the Magic find out which will be the center to invest in down the line. Doing so could include some big lineups with Carter at the four and Bamba at the five as experimentation begins with this young Magic team.

“We have a lot of guys who are younger than me,” Bamba said. “I’m not the youngest dude in the locker room anymore, I’m probably in like the middle of the pack now at 22, which is crazy. But gaining a guy like Otto and gaining a guy like Wendell, we still have that size at the 4, 3 and 5. And it should be really interesting to see. I’m eager to get out there and play alongside of Wendell.”

Bamba said he first met Carter when the two were teammates at a Jim Couch basketball event as kids.

“Wendell was the same exact size he is now,” Bamba said with a laugh. “At age 14. But that was the first time I played with him, I think we were on the same team. And then we’ve just been with each other throughout the whole entire high school process. We both had Duke in our final two or three schools. Decided to go to Texas but we’ve known each other for a very long time. We’ve played against and with each other. And I think this is going to be a very good thing for our organization.”

It certainly will be if one of them emerges as the Orlando Magic’s starting center of the future. Because even after trading their franchise center, the Magic somehow still have a logjam at the position, one that will be easier to sort out next season when Birch has presumably moved on. So we’ll see how Clifford manages their playing time on Tuesday against the Clippers and balances development while remaining committed to giving the team their best chance to win.

“We want to win and we want to get better,” Bamba said. “Its a different kind of environment because it’s more of a learning environment. But Cliff is big on, he’s still big on what he’s always been preaching, and I think that’s going to help us elevate to get to where we all want to go.”

On 3/2/2021 at 2:25 AM, DonkeyCigars said:

I came here to post this question "What the heck happened and why does Mo Bamba suck?" after he didn't play today against the Mavs-- but really, what the heck happened? The dude was poised to be a good NBA player! Is it mental?

I'm a Magic fan but don't watch many games these days.

The general concensus on the Magic forums is that Coach Clifford is more comfortable with the other backup center, Khem Birch.   

Bamba does have motor issues.  Ever since his Texas days when I first saw him play, he seems to get "lazy".  Or he just looks lazy.

Everybody wants to see Bamba get development time.