Jump to content
Camelback80

I told you so

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

disaster GIF

I disagree.

The Hindenburg was far too violent and memorable. For Shaka you need something that's both awful and completely boring in a really grating way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, Camelback80 said:

For 4 long years I supported Shaka and what he's been trying accomplish here in Austin against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate.

When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.

Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.

We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.

This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

chappelle show lol GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, Camelback80 said:

For 4 long years I supported Shaka and what he's been trying accomplish here in Austin against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate.

When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.

Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.

We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.

This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

How was Texas a rebuild after Barnes was fired??  What??  NOW it's a rebuild.  It's like a thermonuclear device was detonated over the FEC.  It's going to be an empty place for some time and will continue at the Moody Center.  Oh, we will get a small bump when it opens but reality always wins.  Most of the current players will leave if we hire a coach that holds the players accountable.  It will take some time.  Texas basketball is a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

How was Texas a rebuild after Barnes was fired??  What??  NOW it's a rebuild.  

exactly. we averaged 22 wins per season over Barnes' last five years and only failed to win 20+ once during that time. there was no rebuild to be done, the program simply needed some rejuvenation in the way of a new coaching staff. then we went and made just about as bad a hire as we possibly could have, and now we are worse than we were under Tom Penders, only without any of the fun. 

a point i've made a few times over the years that bears repeating: anyone who really started following the program around the TJ years (so basically 95% of UT hoops fans who are currently 40 or younger) only knew of a UT hoops program that was a top 10 program nationally, replete with All Americans, endless lottery picks, national award winners, multiple NPOY winners, 25+ win seasons, and regular trips to the Sweet 16. they thought that was the norm, not knowing that prior to Barnes' arrival that schools like Kansas State actually had more basketball pedigree and tradition than Texas. a lot of these people are just starting to realize how amazingly awesome we had it for a decade+. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

It's like a thermonuclear device was detonated over the FEC. 

It's worse than that, because it didn't just happen to us. We paid serious money to have that thermonuclear device dropped on us. 

Good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

It's worse than that, because it didn't just happen to us. We paid serious money to have that thermonuclear device dropped on us. 

Good times.

It's actually worse than that.  We're gonna have to pay MORE serious money to him, whether he's here or not.  Preferably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that famous line about nuclear war?

"The living would envy the dead."

That's kind of how I feel when watching Shaka's teams in those all too frequent moments where they're misfiring on all cylinders.  Its so fucked up yet never even remotely interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Remember that famous line about nuclear war?

"The living would envy the dead."

That's kind of how I feel when watching Shaka's teams in those all too frequent moments where they're misfiring on all cylinders.  Its so fucked up yet never even remotely interesting.

I quit watching.  I have better things to do.  One day I will wake up to find SS gone, hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 11:09 PM, mulletpelini said:

Just keep Marshall off your coaching list this time kthxbai

The Koch brothers have already done that for us.

Edited by cochamps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 10:33 AM, 2300 Nueces said:

Texas basketball is a disaster.

In modern college basketball, no it most certainly isn't. There is nothing structurally wrong with the program that can't be fixed by changing coaches and recruiting better just within the state.

I happen to think Texas athletics is a disaster because it's rotten culturally, but that's a separate issue that will probably never change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 4:20 PM, Tired Horn said:

I disagree.

The Hindenburg was far too violent and memorable. For Shaka you need something that's both awful and completely boring in a really grating way.

You mean like being forced to watch  a PBA tour match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

In modern college basketball, no it most certainly isn't. There is nothing structurally wrong with the program that can't be fixed by changing coaches and recruiting better just within the state.

I happen to think Texas athletics is a disaster because it's rotten culturally, but that's a separate issue that will probably never change. 

I think you are on to something and would ask you to expand on the culture issue but it may not wear well on Surly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

would ask you to expand on the culture issue but it may not wear well on Surly.

I don't mean what you hope I mean

Our culture is one of nebulous "excellence", the accepted evidence of which is money and self-satisfaction. If we have those two things, and we have them in fucking spades, then the University of Texas' athletics are excellent. We only accept excellence and we only accept our own internal definition of it. Like winning ten football games (including the Sugar Bowl!) or 20-25 basketball games and finishing a respectable second in the conference (we'll get those wily Sooners/Jayhawks one of these days!). You HAVE to meet that threshold or man, you'll get a serious talking to. If it keeps happening, you'll be on warning, mister. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 1:17 PM, GotThatFire said:

Enjoy being miserable pessimists.  It brings me joy to know morons like you are miserable.  

Anytime I need a laugh, I come back to read this. Thank god for idiots and their willingness to share their opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Anytime I need a laugh, I come back to read this.

That’s the saddest and most pathetic thing I’ve ever read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't mean what you hope I mean

Our culture is one of nebulous "excellence", the accepted evidence of which is money and self-satisfaction. If we have those two things, and we have them in fucking spades, then the University of Texas' athletics are excellent. We only accept excellence and we only accept our own internal definition of it. Like winning ten football games (including the Sugar Bowl!) or 20-25 basketball games and finishing a respectable second in the conference (we'll get those wily Sooners/Jayhawks one of these days!). You HAVE to meet that threshold or man, you'll get a serious talking to. If it keeps happening, you'll be on warning, mister. 

Charlie lost to Kansas or he would have gotten another year.   We keep thinking it is 30 years ago,where it takes time for a coach to figure it out. You don't wait anymore. If the coach hasn't figured it out by year 3 95% chance it aint going to happen.

Sure a school/program that has never been top 10 in a sport might need to wait.  We have no reason to wait.  It is truly throwing good money after bad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Charlie lost to Kansas or he would have gotten another year.   We keep thinking it is 30 years ago,where it takes time for a coach to figure it out. You don't wait anymore. If the coach hasn't figured it out by year 3 95% chance it aint going to happen.

Sure a school/program that has never been top 10 in a sport might need to wait.  We have no reason to wait.  It is truly throwing good money after bad.

 

Man, we are so far past that point. It's year 5 and our product looks like finger paint from a bunch of blind-folded kindergarden kids who were force fed Quaaludes.

God almighty. How does a program survive being like this?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Man, we are so far past that point. It's year 5 and our product looks like finger paint from a bunch of blind-folded kindergarden kids who were force fed Quaaludes.

God almighty. How does a program survive being like this?    

It's so unbelievably sad to watch.  Our athletic department is a complete disaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

Dinner time isn't until April, bitch.

Then why the fuck did you ring the dinner bell in November?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Camelback80 said:

Dinner time isn't until April, bitch.

Does 18-13 (8-10) then maybe 1-1 in the B12 tourney get Texas into the NCAA? And from there we make the sweet 16? 6-6 from here in the B12 is as optimistic as I can get if I bash my head on the keyboard and squint real hard at the schedule. That requires sweeps over ISU and TCU which pomeroy has ranked ahead of us. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, Camelback80 said:

For 4 long years I supported Shaka and what he's been trying accomplish here in Austin against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate.

When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.

Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.

We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.

This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

Right on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 4:20 PM, Tired Horn said:

For Shaka you need something that's both awful and completely boring in a really grating way.

13229606_web1_Texans-Chiefs-Football.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 10:10 PM, Tired Horn said:

looks like finger paint from a bunch of blind-folded kindergarden kids who were force fed Quaaludes.

What school district is this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 12:43 AM, Camelback80 said:

Dinner time isn't until April, bitch.

You're going to have to eat a buffet of shit for five months you dipshit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 10:33 AM, smwhorn said:

Dear Cameltoe/Camelback74/Camelback80 (assuming you are not a troll and assuming you REALLY meant what you said in your OP):

Do you still think Shaka Smart should be coaching our basketball team?  

re-asking this same question to Cameltoe/Camelback . . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 1:43 AM, Camelback80 said:

Dinner time isn't until April, bitch.

I think you should at least dig into the appetizer, no?  Maybe some corn eyed brown trout?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the pork chop lunch special at Perry’s in the Domain yesterday. Damn good for $16. The cheesecake was fabulous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chad said:

I can hardly wait to watch the Sweet 16, how about y'all?

seems like Brat is on to a Sweet 16 that is more apropos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Jesus, this thread didn't age well at all.

But what about that awesome victory over a 14-12 Purdue team that he was touting? Surely 5 years with Shaka was worth it for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, smwhorn said:

re-asking this same question to Cameltoe/Camelback . . . .

Dear Cameltoe/Camelback74/Camelback80 (assuming you are not a troll and assuming you REALLY meant what you said in your OP):

Do you still think Shaka Smart should be coaching our basketball team?

Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, Camelback80 said:

For 4 long years I supported Shaka and what he's been trying accomplish here in Austin against the wave of populist idiocy that's penalized him for rebuilding a program in a powerful Big 12 conference. Over the last 5 years the Big 12 has been the strongest basketball conference in America top to bottom, hands down. That is not up for debate.

When I said it could take up to 5 years to rebuild a program I was roundly abused, but that was the truth of the matter, and after 4 long years of extremely checkered luck here we are in year 5 and we are finally turning the corner.

Year after year of strong rercuiting has produced a seasoned and tough roster. We are ready to compete this year, and even though the Big12 remains one of the top conferences in America if not the premier conference, we're going to compete for the title this year.

We are a sweet 16 team this year. And next year, we compete for a national title. So I came back here to say to all the Shaka haters "I told you so". And I will laugh as this year unfolds and Derka become the biggest Shaka fan of us all, and as he gives all the credit to Yaklich, even though the credit belongs to Shaka.

This is what we planned for and dreamed of when we showed Rick B the door. This is the new horns basketball under Shaka, and we jack the 3 early and often, and we hit those shots, and we play D. Welcome aboard, folks.

Oy this did not age well :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, Camelback78 said:

Yep.

You following him to his next job to troll that fan base as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...