11.25.19 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

why he keeps on trying to minimize the vocal minority. i think that's a strong tell that he knows the team hates him.

It's also an indication that he still does not tolerate dissent or other views.  When he first started talking about alignment, I don't think I was alone when I thought he meant players and other coaches buying into the same vision and core values.  What he actually meant was he needed a bunch of sycophants to reinforce his worldview that he's always the smartest person in the room. 

It's narcissism, ego, whatever, but think we can all agree that in his own head, Tom's internal narrative is "I'm smarter than anyone else, so if I thought if it, then it has to be correct.  And anyone who thinks differently is therefore stupid and inferior."  Really dangerous cycle and it appears in the corporate world all the time.  Those organizations nearly always fall apart, and/or never make any money.

Tom can go one of two ways: Continue the status quo, and leave in disgrace.  Or learn some humility and have a chance to leave Texas a winner.  

1 hour ago, Burntcowboy said:

I'm done with Herman.  If we're in the thin-skinned, deflection stage it's already over.  Fuck this guy.  Pick an interim coach for Tech who can obtain whatever morsels he can from the recruiting class and get to work early.  There's still time to present some positive momentum before we head to the Dickhole Bowl.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Not that it matters but it wasn't some backpack thing; instead it was dumbass mocking of Drew Lock "securing the bag" 

Yes, you're right. At any rate, it was the first moment when I started to have doubts about our new head corch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

If Tom Herman was my client here are the talking points I would make him commit to memory or at least write down to stay on point.  He is failing at the most basic part of his job which is to be a salesman for the program.  It's especially more important when you are losing:

1.  We can get to 8 wins with a victory Friday and  a bowl win, right now that is our focus and our message to the team. We cant hit our goals obviously, but we can set the tone for the off-season starting Friday.  Friday is our most important game for many reasons.

2. This season has not played out like we wanted, obviously, but we have to keep driving and working hard

3. Injuries have played a major role, no doubt, but we every program has to deal with them, we cant sulk or make it an excuse; we have to overcome. That is why its critical we develop depth and make recruiting a priority.  Recruiting is on everybody; how we handle this last game and our bowl game will set the tone

4. We... everyone, fans, media, coaches have to stay positive and focused on the long term plan; we have a process and a plan and its going to take time; the last thing we need is division and apathy. I understand losing can create a negative vibe, but we're staying positive as an organization.

5. We have to instill discipline, no excuses for penalties and missed tackles; those are mental and physical errors that have to be fixed and that's what we're working on.  We've had critical errors at the worst possible times.  The guys need to fix it; the coaches need to fix it, it has to hurt to improve, and the team is hurting , but now is when we need to come together and get a victory.

6. We had 10 wins last year, and we can get to 8 this year; no its not where we want to be based on where we finished last year; but 8 wins is something to build on considering  we left at least 1 win on the field (ISU).

7 At Texas we expect to compete for Championships and we didnt get it done this year, but the future is bright; we have a lot coming back next year.

Tom needs to learn leadership 101.  Effective communication is, in order,  tone, body language  and then words. The public perception he is putting off is terrible.  He needs CDC to sit him down and talk about public speaking and the message he is putting off. To come that press conference and essentially wing it is off putting at best. He is not prepared and its obvious. I guess $5M a year makes him think he is bullet proof.

Here is the problem. If you end up 6-7 what do you say when someone ask. Why was it that you could not even meet your new goal that you established in late November? What do you tell recruits about missing two goals in one season. By focusing on single game the whole is not questioned yet again.

27 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Herman:  Any advice, Mack?

Mack:  Detonate the recruiting class on your way out.  Set the program back as far as you can as you leave while they still have to pay you.  Be spiteful and petty and sulk and always remember that it's about you, not them.  Maybe stop slamming your head into stuff.  It scares the kids to death!

fify

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

bucky godbolt just called into rod's show, and he was HOT about the press conference. i never heard him that passionate.

Off topic, but the most passionate BG has probably been in his entire life was 25 years ago yesterday. We played at Baylor in a weird 10am game the day after Thanksgiving (forced by A&M’s TV ban, and ABC had to show something). We beat their ass by about 30, and Godbolt ran across the field, screaming at Chuck Reedy, “WE DIDN’T HAVE TO CHEAT!” over and over again. He was pissed because Trooper Taylor (allegedly) had called Jerod Douglas’ family and said he was from Texas, and they were no longer interested in Douglas. Douglas then picked BU. There are a few more layers, but that’s the legend. I’d love to talk to Bucky about it, but I don’t know him.

Back on topic, I wonder if the Herman family also enjoys traditions like hunting for cannolis on Easter Sunday, July 4th fried mozzarella and eating a bowl of steaming minestrone for good luck on New Year’s?

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Herman:  Any advice, Mack?

Mack:  Detonate the recruiting class on your way out.  Set the program back as far as you can as you leave while they still have to pay you.  Be spiteful and petty and sulk and always remember that it's about you, not them.  Maybe stop slamming your head into stuff.  That won't inspire anyone.  It just makes you look stupid.

you forgot step #1 - claim that all your coaches quit on you, fire everyone(except Akina) buy yourself 2 years and then move to steps above when it doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, Chooky said:

The reporter who asked "how is your head?" is the same reporter who asked "how shaken are you at 6 - 5 and how are you the right man for this job?"  He is now my favorite sports reporter in the world.  

The question "how is your head?" was a deeper one than most give him credit for. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Chooky said:

The reporter who asked "how is your head?" is the same reporter who asked "how shaken are you at 6 - 5 and how are you the right man for this job?"  He is now my favorite sports reporter in the world.  

Swear to God, if Surly could get credentialed, I'd show up on Surly's behalf to a PC and throw a fucking shoe at Coach Fuckface while screaming obscenities. Or I'd ask whatever Andy Kaufman-esque questions we voted on that week, and just keep pumping them at him until forcibly removed from the building.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1