Jerry Callo

Messed Up Lyrics

The Blinded By The Light thread in the Movies & TV forum had several examples of screwed up lyrics.  Instead of continuing to derail that thread, I thought I'd make a specific messed up lyrics thread over here in the Music forum.  I searched, but didn't find one.  (if there is one delete thread/ban user)

In 1980, 10 year old me would listen to Uncle Johnny in the Box on Q107.  It took a friend and I several weeks to figure out the lyrics for a newly released Alan Parsons Project Song.  At first we were convinced it was "Dead people play you take it or you leave it . . . "  but after listening a few more weeks we decided that made no sense and realized it was ". . . Gay people play in the middle of the night."

Are we talking Mondegreens, or misheard lyrics?

"Here we are now, in containers"

Edited by Deej

My favorite misheard Stairway lyrics...

"And it's whispered that soon,
if we all call the jews,
then the bible will lead us to reason"

"And there's Bill Wyman down the road"

35 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Idiot friend in HS thought "she wore a pearl necklace" was "she wore a pearl neckbrace."    Oof.

Hell we thought it meant jewelry...

My brother thought "Panama" was "pay any more."

When Chad Jr. was about four, he loved "I love rock n' roll" and would belt it out at the top of his lungs as:  

I love rock n roll

Put another dime in the juice box bebe

"She could hear the cars roll by, I don't fall for the one, like waves crashing on the beach"

It wasn't until Live Aid that I figured it out.  

I learned this morning when driving to work via my car's display that the Indigo Girls' biggest hit is actually titled 'Closer to Fine' and not 'Closer, I'm Blind' as I'd always thought. I shared this with Mrs Ghost over lunch & she about lost her shit with laughter. Thirty fucking years I've had it wrong.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:55 PM, Deej said:

Your car is a compact truck?

Appropo of this post -- my SIL (you do not want pics, trust me) thought for a long time that Huey Lewis was singing "I want a new truck" instead of "I want a new drug." 

On 12/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I learned this morning when driving to work via my car's display that the Indigo Girls' biggest hit is actually titled 'Closer to Fine' and not 'Closer, I'm Blind' as I'd always thought. I shared this with Mrs Ghost over lunch & she about lost her shit with laughter. Thirty fucking years I've had it wrong.

Closer to Deaf more like it.  

Prince 1999, 

"Two-thousand, zero, zero...party overlips.  Outta time." 

I thought that until a few years into this millennium.