"There's really one more year in this decade"

TexArcher

Agree, so obnoxious. A “decade” is any ten year period, and can be defined however you want. We use 0-9 to discuss trends, news, etc. the “Year 0” thing only matters if you’re measuring to the beginning. The 202nd decade starts next year. The 2020’s start today and end in 2029.

You’re not smart by pointing it out, like people who say your 20th birthday is actually your 21st. Look asshole, we define a “birthday” as the anniversary of the day you were born. That’s how language works, there can be commonly accepted meanings. Stfu already.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 6:38 PM, TexArcher said:

Stop it.  Yeah, there was no Year 0.  No one cares.  If you actually think 1990 was part of the 1980s, you're a ridiculous hipster twat.

Yeah, well, ok.  I'll tell you, I'm generally in agreement.  But 1980 had a lot more in common with the 1970s than it did the 1980s (music, film, politics).  I don't think I have such a strong feeling about 1990, but if you go back and look at 1980, it definitely feels like the last years of the '70s.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah, well, ok.  I'll tell you, I'm generally in agreement.  But 1980 had a lot more in common with the 1970s than it did the 1980s (music, film, politics).  I don't think I have such a strong feeling about 1990, but if you go back and look at 1980, it definitely feels like the last years of the '70s.

I tend to agree on your 1980 sentiment and would argue that, culturally/musically, 1990 was much more similar to the 1980s. For me, the 1990s really didn't kicked off until the release of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and the rest of the Seattle Sound, grunge, and flannel.

I tend to agree on your 1980 sentiment and would argue that, culturally/musically, 1990 was much more similar to the 1980s. For me, the 1990s really didn't kicked off until the release of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and the rest of the Seattle Sound, grunge, and flannel.

I would go with that coupled with the first Persian Gulf War, which started in January 1991.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said elsewhere, the entire thing is a misunderstanding by people who want to seem smart.

The 1900s were a century. They just weren't the 20th Century because that term clearly indicates a succession of centuries starting from Year 1. So the confusion and annoying arguments from 2000 made sense because there really were two different centuries being widely discussed - 1900-1999 (the 1900s) and 1901-2000 (the 20th Century).

Nobody fucking talks about the 202nd Decade. They talk about the Teens and the Twenties and so on. So there is no reason for this to even be a thing.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

As I said elsewhere, the entire thing is a misunderstanding by people who want to seem smart.

The 1900s were a century. They just weren't the 21st Century because that term clearly indicates a succession of centuries starting from Year 1. So the confusion and annoying arguments from 2000 made sense because there really were two different centuries being widely discussed - 1900-1999 (the 1900s) and 1901-2000 (the 21st Century).

Nobody fucking talks about the 202nd Decade. They talk about the Teens and the Twenties and so on. So there is no reason for this to even be a thing.

This is correct. It’s really not that hard.

Edit: but 1901-2000 was the 20th century.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

The only thing sillier than getting hung up on the fact that the new decade doesn't start until next year is getting pissed off by people pointing it out.

So you're prepared to say, with a straight face, that 1990 was not part of the 1990s?

Edited by TexArcher
Don't do it...

On 1/2/2020 at 12:09 PM, Ghost of LL said:

I think late 1991 to early 1992 was when 90s culture separated itself from the 80s. 1990 was very similar to the 80s and didn't have much in common with 1992-2000.

Still, as far as decades go, yeah, they end with 10 so we count them wrong. But we have counted them wrong consistently, so 1990 is part of the 90s.