I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I seem to have found myself in possession of a few pounds worth of "shoulder rib roast" or something.

Wondering how to cook it.

Suggestions?

It’s probably a cross rib roast or a “chuck rib roast.”  You could smoke it but the fail safe is to treat it like a nice roast and don’t take it past 135.  Serve with some roasted veggies and potatoes and gravy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s probably a cross rib roast or a “chuck rib roast.”  You could smoke it but the fail safe is to treat it like a nice roast and don’t take it past 135.  Serve with some roasted veggies and potatoes and gravy. 

That's basically what I did. Made a paste of salt, pepper, mustard seed, rosemary, garlic and olive oil (4 tsp of everything but salt and rosemary, which are 2 tsp), rubbed it in, roasted at tree-fiddy, served with dip (sour cream and mayo 50/50 with chopped fresh green onions and prepared horseradish).

I pull it out at 120 and let it go the rest of the way outside the oven.

Was damn good for a cheap piece of cow.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/12/2024 at 7:56 PM, ztejas said:

I house/dog-sit for my pops and evil step mom a good bit so I've gotten a little experience with his outdoor gas Blaze and have had varied results.

He left me a pound of petite wagyu sirloin this week.

I finally got this bitch dialed in.

20240312_194508.thumb.jpg.4f78859b98c27941d9ea05e052e13d8c.jpg

Perfect med rare. He had some perini ranch rib rub that had never been opened that I gave em a light rub with. Didn't overpower it at all - great flavor. Little smoke/heat on the back end.

Here's the middle one cut up. Probably gonna save the one of the left for tomorrow. 

20240312_195257.thumb.jpg.d942ef35b12790f4b4de1a9f0c0ed6f1.jpg

Hands down best steak I've ever made. We'll need to have an iron-chef style throwdown in the backyard now. 

One more pic - not trying to brag I'm just excited. I almost always fuck steaks up in one direction. 

20240312_195148.thumb.jpg.c49a51317f2f3c7ce76bae97bf03dfc1.jpg

Proud Of You Yes GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, futureman said:

take better pictures please.  get up close on that juicy pink warm meat, that’s what we want. 

Yeah, that pic sucked. I wasn't really trying to take pics. I was ready to bust 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/18/2024 at 7:28 PM, brown water said:

The struggle is real. 3 months into a remodel with no kitchen or table. Nice weather for the backyard tonight. Dogs made good company. 

IMG_1021.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg

IMG_1009.jpeg

IMG_1013.jpeg

If this is struggling, I need to do a lot worse.

• Hook 'Em 2

I almost hate to say it, but I need to use less butter in the sauce next time. And maybe not bother adding broth and reducing. If I can get the green peppercorns, and do that fancy trick like Chef Rick did at the Amarillo Club where he burns off the sherry's alcohol, it might be perfect just like that.

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I almost hate to say it, but I need to use less butter in the sauce next time. And maybe not bother adding broth and reducing. If I can get the green peppercorns, and do that fancy trick like Chef Rick did at the Amarillo Club where he burns off the sherry's alcohol, it might be perfect just like that.

Yeah, I hate that you said "less butter," too...

But I accept the observation.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm actually somewhat angry that I didn't find this sooner...

Smoked Ribeye again...

The fat just melts. The hour of smoke is just right. 

Even at medium, it's juicy tender and delicious. 

I've been smoking too 123, letting it rest while the cat iron heats up (or finishes cooking other things) then searing for 69sec per side (because duty old black man) 

I didn't know if you can do smoked ribeye at a restaurant. I didn't need to 

PXL_20240422_235717091.jpg

PXL_20240423_000133509~2.jpg

PXL_20240423_000231574.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 3