I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

On 8/29/2023 at 6:05 PM, Sam Lin said:

Have you tried without the butter? Guga found it actually dilutes the meat flavor, and my limited testing seems to agree. Baste with butter on the sear, but sous vide without added fats.

Forgot to circle back. Agree on the above.  Thx for mentioning. Hadn’t watched Guga and am finding some interesting stuff on his channel. 

• 2 weeks later...

Experimenting with elk continues.  This time, marinaded top sirloin steaks with chimichurri.  

4205BF4F-7BCE-41A7-AE5D-46C0EE219EC8.thumb.jpeg.9fca1be524f6df6a7068938e37ea68c8.jpeg

Leftovers made great tacos out at the farm.

Marinade:

3 tablespoons canola oil

2 tablespoons dried minced onion

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 teaspoon garlic powder

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

(I doubled the recipe above)

On 9/25/2023 at 2:46 PM, NWBuck said:

SIAP- What chimichurri recipe are y'all using? It seems pretty straightforward, but if I know the Surl, there's someone here with a fantastic twist or some specific ingredient that kicks all kinds of ass.

'preciate it.

Probably not the Surlified recipe you are looking for, but I go fresh and simple so that the meat can do the talking:

1/2 cup parsley - chopped

4 cloves garlic - chopped

1 shallot - chopped

1 tsp dried oregano

2 tsp red pepper flakes 

3 tbsp red wine vinegar

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

2/3 cup quality evoo

Combine everything but the evoo in a food processor and process until finely minced but NOT a paste.  Move to a bowl and pour the evoo over the mixture.  Gently mix to combine.  Stand at room temp for 15 minutes and serve.

Edited by solamente73
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

On 9/25/2023 at 12:46 PM, NWBuck said:

SIAP- What chimichurri recipe are y'all using? It seems pretty straightforward, but if I know the Surl, there's someone here with a fantastic twist or some specific ingredient that kicks all kinds of ass.

'preciate it.

I doubt mine is very surl'd but it's what I like. 

I go cilantro and parsley (flat leaf)  at about a 2 to 1 ratio in favor of the cilantro

Garlic

Shallot

Fresno  Chile 

Oregano

Red wine vinegar

Olive oil- I go about 3 parts oil to 2 parts vinegar.... sometimes getting closer to 1:1

Salt

Pepper

It's a bit of a beating but I hand chop everything as finely as I can. I just gets too pasty for me in a food processor or blender. I much prefer the texture this way. I also use all fresh and no dried ingredients. And I go heavier on the vinegar than most recipes call for because I like the tang, especially on a rich,  fatty cut.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, pops said:

I doubt mine is very surl'd but it's what I like. 

I go cilantro and parsley (flat leaf)  at about a 2 to 1 ratio in favor of the cilantro

Garlic

Shallot

Fresno  Chile 

Oregano

Red wine vinegar

Olive oil- I go about 3 parts oil to 2 parts vinegar.... sometimes getting closer to 1:1

Salt

Pepper

It's a bit of a beating but I hand chop everything as finely as I can. I just gets too pasty for me in a food processor or blender. I much prefer the texture this way. I also use all fresh and no dried ingredients. And I go heavier on the vinegar than most recipes call for because I like the tang, especially on a rich,  fatty cut.  

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2023 at 3:53 PM, solamente73 said:

Experimenting with elk continues.  This time, marinaded top sirloin steaks with chimichurri.  

Marinade:

3 tablespoons canola oil

2 tablespoons dried minced onion

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 teaspoon garlic powder

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

(I doubled the recipe above)

Probably not the Surlified recipe you are looking for, but I go fresh and simple so that the meat can do the talking:

1/2 cup parsley - chopped

4 cloves garlic - chopped

1 shallot - chopped

1 tsp dried oregano

2 tsp red pepper flakes 

3 tbsp red wine vinegar

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

2/3 cup quality evoo

Combine everything but the evoo in a food processor and process until finely minced but NOT a paste.  Move to a bowl and pour the evoo over the mixture.  Gently mix to combine.  Stand at room temp for 15 minutes and serve.

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• 2 weeks later...

Figured this is where to ask.  Texas pride at stake here.

BIL and fam moved to CA when his wife got a job there that she couldn’t refuse.  One of her partners is bragging that Snake River ribeyes (and prime rib) beat anything that Texas can produce.  She called bullshit and is asking for recommendations for ribeyes that can be shipped from TX to CA that would whoop Snake River’s ass.  

44 Farms came to mind, but are there any boutique Texas places out there that can ship superior ribeyes etc out to CA that could be better?  We aren’t talking exotic A5-like stuff or anything - just excellent grilling steaks.  I shop CM and our local DFW Market Street (don’t sleep on them!) but don’t know the high end shipping market.  Yes, I know cooks and method matter, but we are just talking sources on the ribeye cut.  TIA.

Edited by solamente73

22 minutes ago, solamente73 said:

Figured this is where to ask.  Texas pride at stake here.

BIL and fam moved to CA when his wife got a job there that she couldn’t refuse.  One of her partners is bragging that Snake River ribeyes (and prime rib) beat anything that Texas can produce.  She called bullshit and is asking for recommendations for ribeyes that can be shipped from TX to CA that would whoop Snake River’s ass.  

44 Farms came to mind, but are there any boutique Texas places out there that can ship superior ribeyes etc out to CA that could be better?  We aren’t talking exotic A5-like stuff or anything - just excellent grilling steaks.  I shop CM and our local DFW Market Street (don’t sleep on them!) but don’t know the high end shipping market.  Yes, I know cooks and method matter, but we are just talking sources on the ribeye cut.  TIA.

I have no personal experience with them, but Cut Beef in Tyler is very small and gets its beef from one ranch.  I should try it soon.  Its storefront is about a mile from my house.  Not sure if you can buy individual steaks, but worth a look.

https://www.cutbeef.com/

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2023 at 5:44 PM, dcbc said:

I've been under the weather and missed this weekend's trip to the lake. So I treated myself. Dry brined for about six hours. Added some pepper and garlic powder. Cooked indirect on a Weber Kettle to 119F internal. I rested it, seared it over the coals for 90 seconds per side, and finished it in a pan of butter, rosemary, and garlic.

873c18cfdfa78e5f897849282bca19fc.jpg672174d126f3720dce7134d718180197.jpg8ac15e7e91c2c5cdb6d69459154e13ab.jpg

Looks perfect!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/21/2023 at 6:40 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

image.thumb.jpeg.da6906017e10e4839e59ac845c46d9f7.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegPrime ribeye, mushroom-Parmesan cream sauce. I know fungi and sauce are controversial, fuck the haters. 

“Mushroom” is just the name. It doesn’t mean that you on use one mushroom in the cream sauce. 

Shroom it up, dude!!

• Hook 'Em 1