I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

3 hours ago, RMac5 said:

@Frank Drebin Elk back strap is the best game meat I have ever eaten. 

You should try Giant Eland.  Not only the best "game" meat I have ever tasted, the best meat period.  Beyond belief really.

/no homo

302c012c-b5e6-4c1d-9713-ee8639906073.JPG

Edited by Cajun
^^Just a random inter web pic for context
  • Hook 'Em 3

A buddy of mine hunts Africa just about every year.  If you can name it, he's shot it.  Most of the stuff they shoot they donate to the locals/bushmen/whatever, but he says the one thing they never give up is Giant Eland.  

One day I was at his parents house and his brother was cooking these big ass TBone steaks.  He asked if I wanted one and I was like, "Is that some kinda trick question?"

It was beyond belief how good this steak was and I thought maybe it was how he grilled it or something, so I asked how the fuck you get such a perfect masterpiece of a TBone?  He replied, "Well, first you go to Africa..."

Tastes like beef, but the kind St. Peter grills up at the Pearly Gates.

Edited by Cajun

Eland not pictured here, but this was my buddy's parents' living room.  Maybe the Eland was in the dining room.  I'm getting old and my memory fades...

AEF555DE-AE00-41E0-8211-D34D862318F4.jpeg

21234C1C-6D41-40ED-8488-57FAABBD3960.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Oh, wait, I think that's one in the 2nd pic with his horns nearly touching the ceiling.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

That's pretty funny @conVINCEd.

These were pics I took from their back house, which also served as an "overflow" room for taller dead critters.  At the time that polar bear was taken in 1969, it was the world record.  The old dude standing under it is the cat who dirt napped it.  That f'n dude dirt napped a shitload of stuff.  Written up in a handful of books...

B336F6D9-4739-4979-84F5-3C811FF517E7.jpeg

7C5E1F66-12CE-47EE-8268-E12EB7718521.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

This is not on topic for this thread, but I hope you guys will humor me just a bit.  In posting about my old buddy and, specifically, his dad (Louis Stumberg/the one standing next to his world record Polar Bear), it got me doing some web searching and I stumbled across this which appears to have done just after his death.  The Magnum PI looking guy is Herb, his oldest son and the guy who was grilling the Giant Eland steaks in my /csb up top.  The younger guy with no hair is Eric, my best friend from UT and someone who taught me more about hunting and the love of it more than anyone else I know.  

Like I said, not on topic for the thread, but if you decide to watch you'll be enriched.  Great man, great people, wonderful family, and I'm fortunate to have been called a friend by all of them...

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

My wife was a realtor in Portland and got a call about a problem house. This was back before the internets when you had to go inside to eyeball a place. She asked me to go to help measure and photo the place. It looked like that trophy room but it was the whole house was filled with dead animals from around the world. Hundreds of them. Elephant leg tables. Every big cat. Bears. It had been on the market two years and had flipped thru some big name house sellers.

The owner was a bachelor dude in his late 50’s. The house was a very cool early 60’s ultra modern custom that was stunning but for all these dead animals and that he was a heavy cigar smoker. She asked him “why do you think the house hasn’t sold?” He started yammering about the polarizing design of the house, the small kitchen, the small closets. She said you need to get every one of these damn animals out of here for one. Then paint and rip the carpet up. He said he wasn’t going to change a thing. We left.

On 10/13/2023 at 6:46 PM, solamente73 said:

Figured this is where to ask.  Texas pride at stake here.

BIL and fam moved to CA when his wife got a job there that she couldn’t refuse.  One of her partners is bragging that Snake River ribeyes (and prime rib) beat anything that Texas can produce.  She called bullshit and is asking for recommendations for ribeyes that can be shipped from TX to CA that would whoop Snake River’s ass.  

44 Farms came to mind, but are there any boutique Texas places out there that can ship superior ribeyes etc out to CA that could be better?  We aren’t talking exotic A5-like stuff or anything - just excellent grilling steaks.  I shop CM and our local DFW Market Street (don’t sleep on them!) but don’t know the high end shipping market.  Yes, I know cooks and method matter, but we are just talking sources on the ribeye cut.  TIA.

Dumb question but what does SRF have to do with CA other than they think they own the state of Idaho?   I'm no help in your quest but SRF is solid. Their prime shit shows up in the grocery stores up here for basically the same price as store brand choice. Easy decision. And their pre-packaged hamburger is great. 

Challenge. Im in a gigantic historic apartment in cordoba with wraparound balcony…but no grill, an afterthought of a kitchen with no oven, a pan too small for an omelet, and just this dinky resistive electric “grill”. 

And have a massive veal rib chop (chuleton ternera). 

Think ill do low temp for hours on the “grill”, and then try repeated flips on the pan for a crust. Also…no thermometer. 

IMG_3663.jpeg

Son of a bitch, it worked. Chop looked comical on the tiny grill, which alone was sufficient for putting on a crust. Took it outside in case of major flareups.  35 minutes or so and it was done, arguably even more cooked than how they serve here which looks very crimson.  

IMG_3706.jpeg

IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3711.jpeg

IMG_3715.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

so in between screams of joy and then frustration, i managed to cook this tonight. mate found a local butcher shop and brought it home yesterday. i have never cooked a steak this thick tbh.

20231111_135820.thumb.jpg.66d247005e8449f467b163ffbfc86ee4.jpg

salted for 3 hours, low oven to 132*...20231111_183350.thumb.jpg.1c1c06a5cbeda03f35cc12df43f25f8b.jpg

then seared on the grill20231111_195838.thumb.jpg.13037d9a00e21de2b924edf2141c2157.jpg

think it turned out pretty good!20231111_200701.thumb.jpg.05ef286cc1f0bdb90370a25df27b9796.jpg

it was so big we have at least 1/3 left...steak sandwiches on French rolls with swiss and leftover homemade horseradish sauce for lunch tomorrow!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

• 1 month later...