Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

So I guess my point is I really hope the measures in place (better hygiene, social distancing, limited capacity, masks) while reopening (not to mention the weather) are sufficient because I don't have a lot of faith we're in a position to detect a large spike until it's too late.

This is a nice prologue statement for the fall when we get part two of the pandemic in the fall. I'm curious to see where our ability to test and produce PPE will be by then. I'm not betting it'll be significantly increased. If only there was some mechanism our government could use to compel companies to produce things....

13 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

That's it right there. That's America now.

Contrasted: My grandfathers family survived a depression, he left home to join the CCC at 18. Left home again permanently to move to the city to find work. Left that to build ships for the war effort after medical issues prevented service. One of his brothers was shot down in Europe and spent 2 years in a POW camp. Another brother died in combat. He scrimped and saved and worked his entire life to leave his hiers some inheritance. I think he took two trips in his life for " recreation". One to visit his oldest before he got shipped off to die in Vietnam. And one to see that son's name on the wall in DC.

But yeah masks are uncomfortable...

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I recall the Austin Mayor Adler, after shutting down SXSW, in a tv interview at a packed Austin restaurant adamantly encourage everybody to continue to go out to public venues to eat & drink.

I laughed when the straw That was clearly visible in his drink early in the interview disappeared halfway through his pep talk. A little oopsie there. Lol

"I'm please and happy to repeat the news that we have in fact caught and killed a large Covid carryin bat that infected some folks this morning.  Its a beautiful day and the restaurants, bars and concert venues are open.  Austin, you know, means friendship"

• Like 1

As we come out of our caves into public spaces I have noted my Robo Calls have greatly increased this week.  I've had a rather pleasant two months being relative free from "we noted you inquired about..." or "your car warranty is in danger..." .  I thought all these odd balls worked from home anyway so I have no explanation why the greatly ceased and have suddenly increased...Maybe the sponsor of the Robo Call couldn't get into their office to take your "calls"?  Gawd I hate whoever is playing with my iphone

• Like 1

If you ever want to truly influence people, get off your high horse and get to know them. Sincerely get to know them. You don’t have to agree with them, but understanding them is extremely important when it comes to changing them.
If you just want to complain for the sake of complaining, shut the fuck up.
Lol. Pot, meet kettle.
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

As we come out of our caves into public spaces I have noted my Robo Calls have greatly increased this week.  I've had a rather pleasant two months being relative free from "we noted you inquired about..." or "your car warranty is in danger..." .  I thought all these odd balls worked from home anyway so I have no explanation why the greatly ceased and have suddenly increased...Maybe the sponsor of the Robo Call couldn't get into their office to take your "calls"?  Gawd I hate whoever is playing with my iphone

Those really have lit up again exponentially.  Which begs the question...if those shady fucking guys can make payroll with no stimulus money, why can't General Motors? 

Edited by Lobo

10 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Its not inevitable we’ll all get it. Isn’t that why we can open up?

This is what I’m referring to. We shut down to flatten the curve, because most experts I’ve seen referenced have stated we’re beyond the point of stopping the spread, can only slow it down. We can open up because a vast majority of hospitals aren’t overwhelmed. 

I am passing along some information I learned today about coronavirus and Wuhan.

According to my contact, who is directly connected to the intelligence community, there is supposedly classified information, including satellite data, digital data, and on the ground data that indicates the number of deaths in Wuhan and the surrounding area is over 1 million. If true, that would indicate a pretty high combination of a spread rate and mortality rate.

There was also a belief that it could be as serious as Ebola because people with Ebola died so quickly they didn’t spread it nearly as much as what’s happening with Covid. The worry is that the opening up could put the world into a Wuhan-like situation.

Obviously, so far the data doesn’t seem to indicate anywhere near such a dire situation, but I wonder what things will look like in 3 months.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

Glad I'm not the only one. I was bitching about this a few days ago myself. Went from 3-4 per day, to zero per day for about two months, to now 6-8 per day.

Really rustles my Jimmies.

• Like 1

I have a contact in the intelligence community as well.  talked to him last week. he said that Wuhan is worse than reported but that there is no chance that the US has any chance to be like Wuhan.  From all their information the worst is over.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
31 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:
If you ever want to truly influence people, get off your high horse and get to know them. Sincerely get to know them. You don’t have to agree with them, but understanding them is extremely important when it comes to changing them.
If you just want to complain for the sake of complaining, shut the fuck up.

Lol. Pot, meet kettle.

I can only base my understanding of you off your comments on Surly. Thinking you’re too smart to understand someone’s opinion is very telling. 

• Like 1

I can only base my understanding of you off your comments on Surly. Thinking you’re too smart to understand someone’s opinion is very telling. 

It’s not that. They think that anyone who does not share their same opinion is an idiot. It’s as simple as that.
  • Like 5

Population density could and is controlled by the government who sets the building and land codes?
The point is more likely a political play to point fingers and shift blame. This event was nothing like anything that had been faced before? How did we really know that we should (could) have locked things down in March. Better use to time and resources to work toward solutions then just trying to stir people up with sensationalism. 

So perhaps we can learn in the near-term how to improve our response and anticipate issues by using data and scientific evidence to drive policy.

For instance, as November drives more people inside and the weather becomes more conducive for C19, we could better anticipate a surge and prevent outbreaks, knowing that there will likely be a lag time in infections following environmental changes. UT, for instance, has already cancelled post-Thanksgiving activities.

This virus should teach us to be pro-active. Our response has been reactive, which is one factor why the US is Top 10 in per capita deaths and infections.

And while we havent faced a pandemic like this since the Asian flu 60+ years ago, it was anticipated and predicted and has been successfully mitigated by a variety of countries in the world.

Regarding population density being controlled by government, that’s a stretch. Let’s treat population density as an environmental factor, a variable, and not something that can be controlled by current policy-makers.
  • Like 3

Unfortunately it seems like most people I know are starting to take a similar approach to me. I'm still not going into restaurants and I'm still getting my groceries delivered. I still won't go visit my grandparents. 

But I'm starting to hang out with friends and family if they are in good health. We are taking weekend trips to the beach as a family. We're still smart about things and avoid large crowds, but the sticking to our house thing is over. Simply not worth it for the low risk that this virus poses to us. If I die, I die. My wife can take my life insurance money, sell my business, and go marry some dude that's richer than me. Whatever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The point is that earlier lockdowns could have been a policy choice that saved lives. It’s not something out of our government’s control like population density 

Who is it that you think comes up with Zoning and Housing Density requirements?

• Like 1

This is what I’m referring to. We shut down to flatten the curve, because most experts I’ve seen referenced have stated we’re beyond the point of stopping the spread, can only slow it down. We can open up because a vast majority of hospitals aren’t overwhelmed. 

You said that 36,000 deaths were delayed. What did you mean by that?

10 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

So perhaps we can learn in the near-term how to improve our response and anticipate issues by using data and scientific evidence to drive policy.

For instance, as November drives more people inside and the weather becomes more conducive for C19, we could better anticipate a surge and prevent outbreaks, knowing that there will likely be a lag time in infections following environmental changes. UT, for instance, has already cancelled post-Thanksgiving activities.

This virus should teach us to be pro-active. Our response has been reactive, which is one factor why the US is Top 10 in per capita deaths and infections.

And while we havent faced a pandemic like this since the Asian flu 60+ years ago, it was anticipated and predicted and has been successfully mitigated by a variety of countries in the world.

Regarding population density being controlled by government, that’s a stretch. Let’s treat population density as an environmental factor, a variable, and not something that can be controlled by current policy-makers.

No love for the Hong Kong Flu in 68?

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Please list all the reasons that NYC (or any city or state) couldn't have enacted their own shelter in place rules, if as we know they could have saved 30k plus lives ?  ?

Exactly what is the chief responsibility of a governor or mayor if not the protection and welfare of its citizens ?  Are Governors, and mayors required to wait for federal intervention to protect their citizenry ?

I love the timeline that's been concocted in peoples minds about this unprecedented 21st c. pandemic.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Unfortunately it seems like most people I know are starting to take a similar approach to me. I'm still not going into restaurants and I'm still getting my groceries delivered. I still won't go visit my grandparents. 

But I'm starting to hang out with friends and family if they are in good health. We are taking weekend trips to the beach as a family. We're still smart about things and avoid large crowds, but the sticking to our house thing is over. Simply not worth it for the low risk that this virus poses to us. If I die, I die. My wife can take my life insurance money, sell my business, and go marry some dude that's richer than me. Whatever. 

Is this some elaborate rouse on your part to get away from your wife?  I could take or leave this world, but I want to see my two little girls grow up.  My wife could easily trade up from me within 12 mos. of my demise.  But I think it would crush my girls.  As such, I'm treating this Covid-19 thing like a...oh what's the fancy latin word the news is throwing around to scare us...a Pandemic. But to each their own.  

1 minute ago, Eskimohorn said:

You said that 36,000 deaths were delayed. What did you mean by that?

Meaning, those same 36,000 were highly likely to get the virus and would have likely died anyway. Of course a few may have been spared with more knowledge and better treatment, but I’m not going to pretend anywhere near 36,000 would have survived this pandemic just because we shut down a little sooner. Again, m opinion based on scientific information I’ve seen.

• Like 1

I'm not talking about your understanding of me or anyone else. I don't even disagree with your outlook on influence. I was referring specifically to the high horse bit.

It’s not that. They think that anyone who does not share their same opinion is an idiot. It’s as simple as that.
Who is they?

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Meaning, those same 36,000 were highly likely to get the virus and would have likely died anyway. Of course a few may have been spared with more knowledge and better treatment, but I’m not going to pretend anywhere near 36,000 would have survived this pandemic just because we shut down a little sooner. Again, m opinion based on scientific information I’ve seen.

Yeah true, but if w'ed have shut down in January we'd have stopped that 95k death tally Hugo is splooging over right now.  There'd probably be like 100 or so deaths....

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I recall the Austin Mayor Adler, after shutting down SXSW, in a tv interview at a packed Austin restaurant adamantly encourage everybody to continue to go out to public venues to eat & drink.

30 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I have a contact in the intelligence community as well.  talked to him last week. he said that Wuhan is worse than reported but that there is no chance that the US has any chance to be like Wuhan.  From all their information the worst is over.

I also have a contact in the intelligence community and he says "The crow flies at sunset.  The crow flies at sunset. The child's pencil is broken. The child's pencil is broken'  Take that as you will but its pretty clear whats going on.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, gmr548 said:

I'm not talking about your understanding of me or anyone else. I don't even disagree with your outlook on influence. I was referring specifically to the high horse bit.

I’ve actually learned a quite a bit from posters of all political leanings on this website, which has led to my current opinion. That’s right, my opinion of this virus and response has evolved over the past several months as a result of information from conservatives, liberals, and people who likely don’t identify as either. There are those among us who refuse to listen to the opposition, or have too many brain cells to understand their position, and therefore refuse to alter their opinion/actions based on new information because of the source. There’s a fundamental difference, in my opinion.

• Like 3

I also have a contact in the intelligence community and he says "The crow flies at sunset.  The crow flies at sunset. The child's pencil is broken. The child's pencil is broken'  Take that as you will but its pretty clear whats going on.

Bullshit. Everyone knows that the chair is against the wall, and John has a long mustache. Better luck trying to mislead us next time, you fuckin’ commie.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I wonder how many deaths could have been avoided if we'd just known how to properly vent patients ???

Probably a fair number. We’ve already learned a lot about respiratory therapies. We’re learning about drug treatments. We’re continuing to learn about transmission.
We can likely knock down the fatality rate even more as time goes by. And with some simple measures (like masks and banning huge gatherings) keep transmission under control. It’s a patchwork solution that can hopefully get us to a vaccine.
The news is not great, but also not disastrous. It just is what it is, and lays out our path.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BevoSwag said:

In these trying times...

41 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Gonna need pics of wife before I give you the Covid...

24 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Game over man!

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat’s homemade masks have a wire sewn into the seam so they can be clamped down over the bridge of our noses for a tight fit, and the ear elastics keep them closed all around the rest 

See!   The things she learned during the Spanish Flu are coming in handy!

Easy to say you could have saved 36,000 lives by closing a week early. 

Hell you could have saved 50,000 by really locking down nursing homes. That was the easiest, and we had the data to support that a long time ago. 

20/20 hindsight and what not. 

• Like 1

I’ve actually learned a quite a bit from posters of all political leanings on this website, which has led to my current opinion. That’s right, my opinion of this virus and response has evolved over the past several months as a result of information from conservatives, liberals, and people who likely don’t identify as either. There are those among us who refuse to listen to the opposition, or have too many brain cells to understand their position, and therefore refuse to alter their opinion/actions based on new information because of the source. There’s a fundamental difference, in my opinion.

Hey, I agree learning and changing your position based on new information is important. It's how rational adult brains function. I'm glad you mentioned that. What we've learned overt the course of this pandemic includes:

- The virus is spread primarialy through respiratory droplets;

- Viral load appears to have at least sone correlation with outcomes;

- Masks significantly curb the spread of respiratory droplets. How much depends on material, but generally over 50 percent. That's huge.

- The countries that have come out of this relatively well all embrace widespread mask use.

Mask use significantly curbs the spread of the virus. That's not a political stance. No one likes it, but it's a small inconvenience for a big time gain. Wearing a mask in crowded or enclosed public spaces isn't political stand, it's being a fucking adult.

• Like 6

Guest Lobo
22 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

When I was four years old, I watched my mother kill a spider... with a teacosy. Years later, I realised it was not a spider - it was my Uncle Harold.

Kashmir?

For your livestock update, cattle posted the second day in a row above 100K, with a good Saturday run week could be close to year ago levels which if sustained will start to pull cattle ahead and bring weights down helping feeders out. Boxed beef remains on a gentle decline with improved movement. Hogs failed to top 400K today, with the pace of recovery slowing down a bit, but fresh pork is popping back onto the spot market which is a good sign, and the amount of euthanized hogs may keep numbers down into summer, which could put a 425K number pretty close to the amount of ready hogs and really juice that cash market later on. Also China took a large amount of pork shipments last week, but canceled some purchases at the highs. 

• Like 3

Pic of your wife to see if there’s interest

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away