• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anastasis

• 4th&Five

• Mrs Whiggins

• jimmyjazz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd just like to point out that neither myself nor any of my fellow nurses, fellow advanced nurse practitioners, and other healthcare providers ever swore an oath that we would lay down our lives for

Welp, it finally happened. I snapped in public today. I went into work for a bit this morning because I’m trying to figure out the safest way to host physicians we are recruiting given our CV-19 sit

How anyone can question whether Trump could cause harm to the bureaucracies at this point is mind boggling.   He made the National Weather Service issue false reports on where a hurricane was goi

Posted Images

Are you all following the #P1 variant? Apparently it has hit British Columbia hard and Brazil is reeling right now, but Brazil was  a mess already. It is in Massachusetts and now Colorado and with Texas still working it's way through the vaccines, I'm getting nervous that it's going to hit hard as you know it's out there already...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/world/europe/slovakia-coronavirus-russia-vaccine-sputnik.html

Spoiler

Noting that about 40 countries are using or scheduled to use the Russian vaccine, the Slovak regulatory agency asserted that ‚Äúthese vaccines are only associated by the name.‚ÄĚ That raised questions about deviations from the formula reviewed in The Lancet.

‚ÄúThe comparability and consistency of different batches produced at different locations has not been demonstrated,‚ÄĚ the Slovak regulator said. ‚ÄúIn several cases, they appear to be vaccines with different properties (lyophilisate versus solution, single-dose ampoules versus multi-dose vials, different storage conditions, composition and method of manufacture).‚ÄĚ

• Hook 'Em 1
Posted (edited)

Woman in FL who coughed on a cancer patient instead of donning a mask sentenced to thirty days in jail, a year of probation, mental health evaluation, and anger management classes.

Seems reasonable to me. Assuming she didn’t infect anyone. 

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article250551369.html?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Willfully Horn
Crabbed
  • Hook 'Em 1
1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Least shocking news ever.

Also since the Reds were brought up a couple times in the last little but.  Fuck Pete Rose.

What do you have against Pete Rose?  

More about the growing problem faced by our neighbor to the north, except virus don't care about borders...or state lines...

Canada is spiking and recently one of their health authorities stated people could assume they had one of the variants, that the govt was going to stop tracking individual variants. Not going well for them.

Just south in Detroit and Michigan at large things are rough. More children are coming down with stronger symptoms with the newer variants as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
Not sure why I am, but I am surprised to see NY topping that list.  Figured between vaccinations and prior waves and stricter approach to lock downs 

What’s the latest and best view of the vaccines’ effectiveness against variants? I know that they are believed generally to be effective against UK and So. African variants, but what about others?

Asking for myself since I’ve been out licking doorknobs for the last few weeks.
  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

More about the growing problem faced by our neighbor to the north, except virus don't care about borders...or state lines...

Canada is spiking and recently one of their health authorities stated people could assume they had one of the variants, that the govt was going to stop tracking individual variants. Not going well for them.

Just south in Detroit and Michigan at large things are rough. More children are coming down with stronger symptoms with the newer variants as well.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Not sure why I am, but I am surprised to see NY topping that list.  Figured between vaccinations and prior waves and stricter approach to lock downs 

I have always hated stats like that. Sure, that's raw number cases, but when you compare to the relative populations, some states stand out WAY more than others. 

MI: 1:1100 citizens
MN: 1:2100
NJ: 1:2100
NY: 1:2100
PA: 1:2500
FL: 1:3000
IL: 1:3200
NC: 1:4200
TX: 1:9600
CA: 1:11,000

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2
1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

What’s the latest and best view of the vaccines’ effectiveness against variants? I know that they are believed generally to be effective against UK and So. African variants, but what about others?

Asking for myself since I’ve been out licking doorknobs for the last few weeks.

Effective against B117 and B1351, probably effective against P1. 

Here is a cool site that I found that summarizes the data on VOC, included vaccine data.

https://aci.health.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/critical-intelligence-unit/sars-cov-2-variants

Immune escape (vaccines / previous infections will not be protective)

Pfizer/BioNTech neutralisation as per wild type.^ Reduction in neutralising capacity when carrying the E484K mutation. Prior COVID-19 infection and vaccination substantially increased neutralizing activity.

AstraZeneca 74.6% efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease.^

Moderna neutralisation as per wild type.^

Novavax 86% efficacy for prevention of of symptomatic disease.^

Elicits cross-reactive neutralising antibodies.*

Pfizer/BioNTech, multiple studies show significant reduction in neutralisation of B.1.351.*^ Prior COVID-19 infection and vaccination substantially increased neutralizing activity.

AstraZeneca

10.4% efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease*^

Moderna neutralisation as per wild type*

Novavax

50-60% efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease*^

Johnson & Johnson 85% efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease *^

Elicits cross-reactive neutralising antibodies.^

Pfizer/BioNTech neutralisation as per wild type*^Prior COVID-19 infection and vaccination substantially increased neutralizing activity.

AstraZeneca reports efficacy for prevention of symptomatic disease (news reporting on preliminary data)*^

Moderna neutralisation as per wild type *^

Estimated 6.4% reinfection probability*^

Elicits cross-reactive neutralising antibodies.^

• Hook 'Em 2
14 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

‚ÄúGet the shot. That‚Äôs an order.‚ÄĚ

I completely agree with the sentiment, but apparently the issue is that Covid vaccines are not yet fully-approved by the FDA, so the military can't (or at least won't) make them mandatory.  So far they are only authorized under an emergency use EUA.

When they gain FDA approval, then they can become mandatory.

Ultimately, it's a pretty small number of people, but it's still frustrating.

This article points out how the Navy requires the flu vaccine:

Military.com on vaccines

• Hook 'Em 2
1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I completely agree with the sentiment, but apparently the issue is that Covid vaccines are not yet fully-approved by the FDA, so the military can't (or at least won't) make them mandatory.  So far they are only authorized under an emergency use EUA.

When they gain FDA approval, then they can become mandatory.

Ultimately, it's a pretty small number of people, but it's still frustrating.

This article points out how the Navy requires the flu vaccine:

Military.com on vaccines

I believe this is true for every setting. I work with a state hospital system and administrators cannot mandate that staff be vaccinated yet as the vaccine is still categorized as an experimental treatment. At least that's how it's been explained to me. So about 40% of all hospital staff is refusing the vaccine. Vaccination rates are higher in the patient population than the staff population. Crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am prepared to just have this be the new normal.  Masks for the rest of time.  Whatever.  Fucking virus.

McClellan lab got this man. It's time to remember how to act like humans again. 

• Hook 'Em 4
On 4/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, 4th&Five said:

I’d consider that a command problem. I got stuck with so many needles during my time and there was never a moment when it was described as optional.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, Anastasis said:

McClellan lab got this man. It's time to remember how to act like humans again. 

This might as well not be in English.  I'm guessing this may be talking about a potential treatment that will solve for people who actually get this?

On 4/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, 4th&Five said:

So I read that, until the vaccine is fully authorized by the FDA, they can’t order someone to take it, because it’s still considered an experimental vaccine. Same with business and schools. But after it’s fully approved, everyone absolutely can enforce that policy. 

Pfizer and Moderna will ask for full approval this month. They now have the required 6 months of data. That’s good news. Now, the bad news is apparently it takes the FDA around 6 months to review this shit. So unless they speed it up, I bet we will see stupid shit for schools openings 

14 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

This might as well not be in English.  I'm guessing this may be talking about a potential treatment that will solve for people who actually get this?

There are entire pages in that manuscript that I just skim over and go "nope".  But apparently they found a way to very quickly identify and produce monoclonal antibodies that could hit all the major COVID variants. They speculate that they turn identification and initial development in <10 days. This would primarily be a treatment I assume, although they are looking at these types of antibodies for things like prophylaxis after exposure...

https://endpts.com/regenerons-covid-mab-as-a-prophylactic-injection-reduced-risk-of-symptomatic-infection-by-81/

Regeneron’s Covid mAb as a prophylactic injection: Reduced risk of symptomatic infection by 81%.

anyway, re: surveys showing vaxxed people still not wanting to do shit while the non-vaxxed pack stadiums: people concerned about covid still concerned about covid, while those not concerned about covid still not concerned about covid, film at 11. 

• Hook 'Em 2
2 hours ago, elfenix said:

holy shit the daily trumper version of this thread has canceraids

Yeah it’s totally out of control.

Was in college station over the weekend. Yeah they be spreading the COVID in that place. 

41 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Osterholm strikes again.  This guy made some really great calls early in the pandemic, but he latest round hasn't been so spot on. He definitely knows what he is talking about, but has gone a bit too far to the doomer scariant end of the spectrum. I hope he is wrong, but consider seriously everything he says. 

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Alright, I haven't been following this shit as closely as before. Why do they have such a hard on for Fauci? 

The current GOP strategy seems to be to reject any and all perspectives that are endorsed by mainstream science and education.  That's the only angle I can imagine.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

The current GOP strategy seems to be to reject any and all perspectives that are endorsed by mainstream science and education.  That's the only angle I can imagine.

Many of the people with the signs in their yard promoting "In this house we believe in science" actually don't.  They believe in politicized science.  I know I know, bothsides.  

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Many of the people with the signs in their yard promoting "In this house we believe in science" actually don't.  They believe in politicized science.  I know I know, bothsides.  

Do you have some basis for this assertion?  I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't talk to my neighbors about their signs (or pretty much ever).

51 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I’d be more worried about the people with confederate flags in their yards. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
√ó
√ó