Surly #Stonks

Wally Fairway

8 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Who is going to sell right now?  Most of the owners are wsb'ers now.  There is no reason for any firm / hedge fund / investor to take the other side

No. Most of the owners are not wsb’ers.  Not by a long shot.  They may own 4-5% of the total float. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Is there publicly available data (now or available later) that would show a breakdown on type of investors currently with long positions for GME?

For all the publicity this thing is getting.... there's a fuckload of money in it by now. Assumption would be that other firms are taking advantage of the squeeze too. So because the price is still up even with retail buying ability severely handicapped.... the squueze hasn't happened yet and people are holding?

How many short positions really could have been dumped yesterday during that dip into the 100's that came back up even with RH down? The really costly ones i'm guessing, backfilled with new short positions after that price came back up keeping the short % change not as big and priming for expected panic selling?

The reported short% numbers are estimates (learned/saw on WSB) but an actual report comes out Feb 2nd and is public Feb 9th? That's a lot of days. 

Speculation for days lol.

This is definitely entered into full on "Greater Fool" territory now, I think.

I actually feel bad because the most obvious outcome seems to be that Joe and Sue Reddit actually do lose all their money from Diamond Handsing while rich people make up losses (as well as fake being WSB'ers and pump) and ultimately get out before it crashes.

And if a lot of the everyman poster who likes to write up a screed about how poor they are and work minimum wage but will NEVAR SALE DIAMOND EMOJI are actually using, along with the bottom 50% of society, their $600-2000 stimmy on this, it's only stimulating the 1% who are going to win here and it will be a pass-through from the government to their coffers.

Depressing if you think about it too much.

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This is definitely entered into full on "Greater Fool" territory now, I think.

I actually feel bad because the most obvious outcome seems to be that Joe and Sue Reddit actually do lose all their money from Diamond Handsing while rich people make up losses (as well as fake being WSB'ers and pump) and ultimately get out before it crashes.

And if a lot of the everyman poster who likes to write up a screed about how poor they are and work minimum wage but will NEVAR SALE DIAMOND EMOJI are actually using, along with the bottom 50% of society, their $600-2000 stimmy on this, it's only stimulating the 1% who are going to win here and it will be a pass-through from the government to their coffers.

Depressing if you think about it too much.

Not nearly as depressing as knowing the top 1% increased their wealth by $1 trillion during the pandemic to date.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Not nearly as depressing as knowing the top 1% increased their wealth by $1 trillion during the pandemic to date.

No. I think if the stimulus went from the government to the billionaires as a pass-through via poor persons bank account to robin hood to losing it, at scale, that would be more depressing. Because you've essentially stimulated nothing. Except maybe GameStop the company (which I am still completely bearish about).

I guess I hope this whole thing amounts to more than a bunch of poor reddit everyman's buying the equivalent of a $600-2000 lottery ticket in mob orgy and getting high off the adrenaline and then ultimately losing it all for the internet rep. Multiplied by 4-5mm I think is the last count of the Diamond Hand Gang.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

No. I think if the stimulus went from the government to the billionaires as a pass-through via poor persons bank account to robin hood to losing it, at scale, that would be more depressing. Because you've essentially stimulated nothing. Except maybe GameStop the company (which I am still completely bearish about).

I guess I hope this whole thing amounts to more than a bunch of poor reddit everyman's buying the equivalent of a $600-2000 lottery ticket in mob orgy and getting high off the adrenaline and then ultimately losing it all for the internet rep.

Not really. You think $2k is doing anything for those people? Wages have been stagnant for decades, and tuition costs have looked like GME last week ever since the same group they were just betting against got bailed out in 2008. There is little to no hope for a secure economic future for a large majority of this country. Hope of striking it rich when things aligned in their favor was well worth it to them. Not to mention the thought of sticking it to the people doing their damndest to keep them in their current position. Populism and this financial uprising are symptoms of a broken system. People are tired playing a rigged game. They just paid $2k to finally drop the illusion of fairness. Did you see the kid who made $25k cashing out his options and immediately spent the entirety paying off his student loans? It was always going to end up in the same hands whether they lost it in the market or used it for rent. Most of them would do it all again knowing they'd lose just to ride the wave of hope again.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Not really. You think $2k is doing anything for those people? Wages have been stagnant for decades, and tuition costs have looked like GME last week ever since the same group they were just betting against got bailed out in 2008. There is little to no hope for a secure economic future for a large majority of this country. Hope of striking it rich when things aligned in their favor was well worth it to them. Not to mention the thought of sticking it to the people doing their damndest to keep them in their current position. Populism and this financial uprising are symptoms of a broken system. People are tired playing a rigged game. They just paid $2k to finally drop the illusion of fairness. Did you see the kid who made $25k cashing out his options and immediately spent the entirety paying off his student loans? It was always going to end up in the same hands whether they lost it in the market or used it for rent. Most of them would do it all again knowing they'd lose just to ride the wave of hope again.

spacer.png

To The MOON (rocket emoji rocket emoji rocket emoji)

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Where exactly do you imagine the 5 or so trillion of government stimulus was going to end up?  

How does it get there?

Through what mechanism can you, I or anyone else best position yourself similarly?

That’s right, long term ownership of equity in solid publicity traded corporations.

This thing is a long way from that.  It is absolutely, at this point, a mania that will end up poorly for some.  

6 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This post you quoted here is unhinged mental illness, but I guess in any massive, grassroots demonstration you are going to attract a handful of nuts along the way.

The institutions wrote the rules of the market and now it’s unhinged mental illness because people understood what those rules are

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, bluto said:

Ya pull up the gme largest owner list... vanguard and fidelity own a few million each individually and there’s another 10-20 of those.

So what have the institutional owners of GME been doing the past few weeks? Why would they hold onto their shares this week and not dump their GME holdings? Even if their had some belief that GME is a good long term hold, they’re hurting themselves not to sell. Perhaps you hold some shares back in case it goes to 1k. Sell your majority.

im working on an assumption that the largest owner lists are not real-time but honesty I don’t know how those lists are generated.

9 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

No. Most of the owners are not wsb’ers.  Not by a long shot.  They may own 4-5% of the total float. 

Most of the large owners have already lent out their shares for shorting. They would have to recall them in order to sell them. While it would obviously drive up prices, they also risk the borrowers going bankrupt and/or pissing off a lot of players in the playground they play in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Most of the large owners have already lent out their shares for shorting. They would have to recall them in order to sell them. While it would obviously drive up prices, they also risk the borrowers going bankrupt and/or pissing off a lot of players in the playground they play in.

Great point. They're also making a great and unexpected return for the shares they've already lent to others.

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Where exactly do you imagine the 5 or so trillion of government stimulus was going to end up?  

How does it get there?

Through what mechanism can you, I or anyone else best position yourself similarly?

That’s right, long term ownership of equity in solid publicity traded corporations.

This thing is a long way from that.  It is absolutely, at this point, a mania that will end up poorly for some.  

This is how you used to get there. For many that is no longer a reality. Most don't have the financial flexibility to invest long term at a level that would give them any chance at a retirement, and pensions no longer exist. But if they did have the flexibility, there's always solid companies like Enron or WroldCom out there to invest into. This isn't about getting rich for a lot of these people. It's about blowing up a system designed to keep them subservient. They don't hate the hedge funds because they make money. They hate them because they don't provide value but continually take it for themselves.

55 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

No doubt.   

I've been looking at new battery technologies but none of them seem to be ready for prime time. I did find an article from last October that lists a bunch of promising technologies to keep an eye on. The article is here: Future batteries, coming soon...

I did find two companies that are introducing products with new battery technologies but I have no idea if they will be successful.

1) COUV - bought Carbon Ion Inc FKA SnapGo  which developed carbon ion batteries, claims to be higher density, faster charging, not going to burn like lithium ion batteries. Supposed to go commercial this year. I believe COUV has been mentioned here previously.

2) TPII - uses super capacitors for storage instead of LI or lead acid batteries. First product is a golf cart. The innovation here seems to the the controller rather than the capacitors. Future applications could be a mid-size truck and off-grid storage.

The battery recycling companies seem to have taken off last November so I missed out on the really low prices on those plays.

Does anybody has a battery play they'd like to share?

This is not financial advice. Do your own DD.

6 minutes ago, WithoutAClue said:

I've been looking at new battery technologies but none of them seem to be ready for prime time. I did find an article from last October that lists a bunch of promising technologies to keep an eye on. The article is here: Future batteries, coming soon...

I did find two companies that are introducing products with new battery technologies but I have no idea if they will be successful.

1) COUV - bought Carbon Ion Inc FKA SnapGo  which developed carbon ion batteries, claims to be higher density, faster charging, not going to burn like lithium ion batteries. Supposed to go commercial this year. I believe COUV has been mentioned here previously.

2) TPII - uses super capacitors for storage instead of LI or lead acid batteries. First product is a golf cart. The innovation here seems to the the controller rather than the capacitors. Future applications could be a mid-size truck and off-grid storage.

The battery recycling companies seem to have taken off last November so I missed out on the really low prices on those plays.

Any idea who is working on commercializing the glass battery developed by Dr. Good enough? That would certainly have my interest.

37 minutes ago, WithoutAClue said:

https://americanmanganeseinc.com/

AMYZF, American Manganese, is battery recycling, but didn’t begin a move up until Dec. 21.  It’s got all kind of upside in the EV revolution.  I bought 50,000 shares at $.53 and another 50,000 shares at $.85.  It’s currently at .74.  Above is a link where you can find what AMYZF is all about.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

AMYZF, American Manganese, is battery recycling, but didn’t begin a move up until Dec. 21.  It’s got all kind of upside in the EV revolution.  I bought 50,000 shares at $.53 and another 50,000 shares at $.85.  It’s currently at .74.  Above is a link where you can find what AMYZF is all about.

I'm not quite as balls deep but I have 4k shares at a cost basis on 67 cents in it.  This company looks like the real deal, I am an engineer but their process is way over my head.  It is a very promising technology and if they pull it off, this one is going to be a serious rocketship.

Edited by Hefeweizen
Tom Herman ate the plums.
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I'm not quite as balls deep but I have 4k shares at a cost basis on 67 cents in it.  This company looks like the real deal, I am an engineer but their process is way over my head.  It is a very promising technology and if they pull it off, this one is going to be a serious rocketship.

I didn’t make the investment until I had an uber smart acquaintance read the patent. He said the process is good chemistry.

Just now, IDIOTsavant said:

What apps would allow me to buy this stock? Obviously a neophyte as to buying OTC.

Just about any brokerage app besides RH. I believe Fidelity and Schwab are commission fee for OTC while TD Ameritrade is $6.95 per trade. I’m not sure if an app like WeBull does OTC or has fees. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

i have some AMYZF and ABML. I may add more later.

I've also looked at some lithium mining companies but I have not found one I want to throw money at yet.

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Fidelity is free and Schwab is $4.95.  E-Trade may also be free.

Schwab waives mine.  And def not cause I am balling out.  They offered me free trades for the number of years that I had my previous account with another broker.  Dumbfucks, I had an account when I was undergrad to do stupid shit with cause my granny gave me a few hundy, and they applied the years to the account I already had with Schwab as result of 401k and RSUs. I think I am free balling until 2030 or so. 

just tried to put in an order for AMYZF in my vanguard account.

Are you sure you want to continue with this order?  

This trade will include a $50 processing fee for foreign securities in addition to the commission cost. If the trade executes over multiple days, an additional commission will be charged for each day on which an execution occurs.  

I think I'll pass on the $50 fee. What this does insure for the rest of you that are in is that it will rocket up now.

• Like 1

i'm wondering, with gme melting down the entire market and all, if this thread could maybe start to try and identify some value buys. aapl seems like a good start. they had good earnings, but fell on friday, and that will probably continue into tomorrow, however, they are still pretty high on their 1y price.

dumb question time.

am i wrong in thinking that gme is helping to tank the rest of the market as hedge funds scramble for cash to cover their shorts?

because of this irrationality, i imagine there are some solid bets to make on some stocks that have suffered in share price over the past week. any other ideas?

lastly, i asked upthread, but nobody bit: is anyone looking at silver?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, hayden_horn said:

i'm wondering, with gme melting down the entire market and all, if this thread could maybe start to try and identify some value buys. aapl seems like a good start. they had good earnings, but fell on friday, and that will probably continue into tomorrow. 

dumb question time.

am i wrong in thinking that gme is helping to tank the rest of the market as hedge funds scramble for cash to cover their shorts?

because of this irrationality, i imagine there are some solid bets to make on some stocks that have suffered in share price over the past week. any other ideas?

I have the same opinion about AAPL being a value and have continued to invest even as it declines because I’m bullish on the returns in the short to medium term (and definitely the long term).

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm wondering, with gme melting down the entire market and all, if this thread could maybe start to try and identify some value buys. aapl seems like a good start. they had good earnings, but fell on friday, and that will probably continue into tomorrow, however, they are still pretty high on their 1y price.

dumb question time.

What's the model of Value to you?   Buffett's?  Damodaran's excel table?

I think AAPL/TSM/CRM are all spectacular long term buys.

SLV is a gamble.

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

What's the model of Value to you?   Buffett's?  Damodaran's excel table?

I think AAPL/TSM/CRM are all spectacular long term buys.

SLV is a gamble.

i have no idea what a model of value is.

i want a mix of good long term value, with the ability to short term gamble every once in awhile. i have limited funds, unless gme goes nuclear. i will basically be starting with ~$700, so i'd like to juice that a little bit, but safely, but i would also like to build (over time, obviously) a portfolio that takes into account long, medium and short term opportunities.

does that make sense?

edit to add: i'm a 42 year old corporate worker with a 401k that is way under value because i blew it up in 2019 to pay off all my credit card debt. so basically, i'd like to retire at the normal age, and this would be my best chance to do so. i plan on adding cash to my etrade incrementally, but basically, i'd love to make smart investments while also messing around with ranger's penny stocks and the like. 

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i have no idea what a model of value is.

i want a mix of good long term value, with the ability to short term gamble every once in awhile. i have limited funds, unless gme goes nuclear. i will basically be starting with ~$700, so i'd like to juice that a little bit, but safely, but i would also like to build (over time, obviously) a portfolio that takes into account long, medium and short term opportunities.

does that make sense?

These companies have good financials, market lead, growth trajectory, internal culture, etc.  You could do a lot worse if you wanted a no brainer investment.  Trading options give you leverage on your capital, and the beautiful thing is it allows you to pick (more or less) the precise risk/reward.  But it has a bit of a learning curve to hurdle over.  YMMV.

Is there any thought to pennies/micro caps being a benefactor (or at least holding value) of the gme market drag as they don’t have so much exposure to institutional money that’s being liquidated. Or will they get caught up in the jet wash just the same

37 minutes ago, bluto said:

institutional money that’s being liquidated.

I don't think there is really that much being liquidated. Melvin is dumping assets one way or another, but they only have to do that because of their reckless bet. Everybody else can sit and watch with amusement. Melvin may be selling a few $billion, but that is chump change in the overall scheme of things.