Minneapolis is Burning

F250

49 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

We have to defund the police to protect the police from the inevitable, well-deserved mob violence that it is coming.

They cannot care for themselves. :(

Honestly kinda shocked that the shit hasn't already popped off.  The protesters have been very restrained imo. 

7 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Do people really feel outside pressure to care for their family “to the detriment of the overall community”?  That shit is actually in our DNA for good reasons. 

As far as the impact of focusing on your family first, I’d submit that strong family units are more likely to produce strong, independent citizens that benefit the overall community.  

That plank of their platform is absolute nonsense. 

I read the the platform and its just an appeal to communitarianism, nothing really outrageous about it.

The criticism of the nuclear family is a very valid point to make. This isn't something that is built into our DNA but quite the opposite. The nuclear family is a fairly recent phenomenon and isn't even really practiced much outside of the Western Anglo countries.

The extended family is what humans are programmed to practice not the nuclear family. Humans are instinctively tribal and I would argue that the desire for individualism goes against human nature. Not that I have an issue with individualualism but I recognize that it is something that goes against our nature as tribalism is something that takes effort to overcome.

To answer your question, yes people do feel that pressure, it's why people move away from their home communities and extended family to follow the work. It's why Austin is overpopulated with out of staters living in the suburbs sealed off from their neighbors who are strangers. The pressure is real, spend some time in the Rust Belt where people have to decide between their roots and a job in a location without family and friends.

• Like 3

i love that most of the BLM/police protests have the vast majority wearing masks. 

and i equally love that the pro-Trump demonstrations and the 'mah frreedom for a haircut!!' protesters are not wearing masks.

i feel like that's going to be a good thing in the long run 🤔

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Xian said:

So what’s the end game?  Tear down the Alamo? 

I'm not an activist in San Antonio, so I don't know. I'm just pointing out the history of the Alamo's larger context. It was a moral victory in a war that ended up with Stephen F. Austin offering huge tracts of land to Southern white slaveowners to come in and expand slavery.

Would be smart of local government to get ahead of it and offer some kind of memorial to slaves or something. Proactively invite local community leaders into a discussion of how to update the Alamo as a historical site to reflect the changing cultural composition of the city/state and repurposing it to honor everyone involved or provide a more nuanced projection...

Kind of a microcosm of the whole thing; governments could lead and think ahead.

But they won't. We'll get tough guy posturing then a bunch of violence! WOO!

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, HenryJames said:

spacer.png

Oh, he'd have waded in with troops, and killed those black protestors for looting, and rioting.... a typical 19th c. racist he was....and a southern culture sympathizer ....  still one of the best generals the US has produced.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah she's responsible for all the looting, and violence, that one white girl.....  It's BS regardless of what color her skin is.

Not the one white girl, you're right, you're right.

The people responsible for all the looting and violence are white cops.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah she's responsible for all the looting, and violence, that one white girl.....  It's BS regardless of what color her skin is.

Reigning dumbest motherfucker on this board let's the challengers know he's still the champ. 

Edited by seven
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm not an activist in San Antonio, so I don't know. I'm just pointing out the history of the Alamo's larger context. It was a moral victory in a war that ended up with Stephen F. Austin offering huge tracts of land to Southern white slaveowners to come in and expand slavery.

Would be smart of local government to get ahead of it and offer some kind of memorial to slaves or something. Proactively invite local community leaders into a discussion of how to update the Alamo as a historical site to reflect the changing cultural composition of the city/state and repurposing it to honor everyone involved or provide a more nuanced projection...

Kind of a microcosm of the whole thing; governments could lead and think ahead.

But they won't. We'll get tough guy posturing then a bunch of violence! WOO!

Nobody here is going to fuck with the Alamo. It won’t be allowed.

Have you been there? IIRC the focus is almost entirely on the siege and battle itself. They do mention one slave is released to spread the word of the defeat. 

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Claim: Person A committed act X.

Onboard incredulously responds: Yeah, person A committed acts Y and Z. Bullshit.

Do you see the mistake you made?

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

No one is trying to tear down the Alamo. It's manufactured outrage.

I think this is mostly correct. The Alamo is viewed almost universally in a positive light here. It’s the fucking Alamo City. 

Just now, GRHorn said:

I think this is mostly correct. The Alamo is viewed almost universally in a positive light here. It’s the fucking Alamo City. 

That and San Antonio isn't known for riots and shit. It's hot and people are fat.

Plus it's a minority-majority city without a lot of the racial tension that exists in other cities.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Nobody here is going to fuck with the Alamo. It won’t be allowed.

Have you been there? IIRC the focus is almost entirely on the siege and battle itself. They do mention one slave is released to spread the word of the defeat. 

As someone who grew up in SA going every year on school field trips, the Alamo sucks. They've turned it into a big ass gift shop and there's just not what I would like to see to honor the last stand of brave Texans. 

I don't think anybody is going to fuck with the Alamo, because, cmon. But it's already been pretty fucked with, if you ask me

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Sure thing, tough guy! :D

As someone who has spent about 30 of my 40 years in this area, I feel confident saying that a great way to waste your time on this Earth would be to be an activist in San Antonio trying to convince residents that they need to go fuck up the Alamo. 

On 6/13/2020 at 2:13 PM, UpperWestside said:

I was talking with a friend I have known for 20+ years who works in law down in New Orleans. She was sharing a story with me yesterday about someone she defended that was accused of theft. He saw police officers running towards him so he ran from them. When they caught up to him and arrested him it was on the grounds of a school so he was charged not only with theft, but with trespassing on school property. The arresting officer asked him why he ran and he said "because you started running towards me". He had nothing on him and the kicker is the 911 call said there were TWO young black men who committed the theft. When she presented the 911 call to the DA they would not drop the charges even in the face of this not being the two people they were looking for.

This young man, in his early 20's, had to sit in jail for two months awaiting his day in court because he could not afford bail either. All charges were dropped once evidence was presented in court from the 911 call. She talked about something else that I thought was important. Imagine if that young man had kids and he is away for two months and isn't able to take care of them. The state could've taken them and then he winds up in the court system trying to get them back and all because of a DA that wouldn't drop the charges even when shown the evidence that says they should be. This is the experience that black men in this country have when it comes to the law. They are not treated equally and continuing to pretend there is not a problem is not a viable excuse anymore. I am so glad my friend fights the good fight along with her husband down there. She said it does sadden her still that she will have to sit down with her two young sons at some point and explain to them what they should do when confronted by a police officer. 

Dude.  That's like - not even a story that fits in the NOPD outrage box.  That's like - Saturday.

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The point is it's militant far right white people trying to set up false flag blame on the black lives matter movement. They need to be arrested and sent to prison for a long time to let people know that won't be tolerated. 

Funny how almost none of these white people who are destroying and looting and setting fires are being charged for serious crimes even though you can see them on video. 

Edited by Wanker Bob

On 6/13/2020 at 2:48 PM, Brisketexan said:

Fucking Tulsa. My BIL got married in Tulsa. When we were up there for the wedding is when I confirmed that my racist FIL was a genuine POS racist.

We were driving to pick up the tuxes, and talking about Tulsa in general - how it’s actually a pretty little town, nice geography, etc. Then out of nowhere, with nothing in percolate promoting it, he drops a “Yeah, but they’ve got a real ni**er problem.” I just sat there, stunned, and didn’t say another word for the rest of the drive.

We never had a really good relationship, after that, but after my MIL died, and he got even more entrenched in his bullshit, we essentially cut him off. He’s fucking toxic, and he’ll never change. And thinking like his is functionally identical to the thinking that got the black population of Tulsa wiped out 100 years ago. It’s still there. His share of it will die when he does...but only his share.

but did you laugh at his comment and then tell the hostess?  It is the gentlemanly thing to do. 

It's not a thing until it's a thing. It would be smart to get out ahead of any predictable issue. Assuming it's impossible is stupid.

42 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

As someone who has spent about 30 of my 40 years in this area, I feel confident saying that a great way to waste your time on this Earth would be to be an activist in San Antonio trying to convince residents that they need to go fuck up the Alamo. 

49 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Holy shit. This guy has cajones of steel.

That is amazing. It exemplifies many of the complaints about police, including the fact that they will lie to obtain compliance. In that video, the cops lied about whether the property was public (county property isn’t public? Wtf?) and that the cameraman’s behavior is illegal. And then they quickly admitted they were wrong about both of those. Which shows they knew they were full of shit from the get-go and just lying as a tactic. But to accomplish what, exactly? If the dude wasn’t doing anything illegal, why do the police need to be involved?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

That is amazing. It exemplifies many of the complaints about police, including the fact that they will lie to obtain compliance. In that video, the cops lied about whether the property was public (county property isn’t public? Wtf?) and that the cameraman’s behavior is illegal. And then they quickly admitted they were wrong about both of those. Which shows they knew they were full of shit from the get-go and just lying as a tactic. But to accomplish what, exactly? If the dude wasn’t doing anything illegal, why do the police need to be involved?

Wasn't it incredible? He's open-carrying in a public place where such thing is completely legal and he gets approached by 8 cops who want to know what he's up to.  Guarantee you that if he looked like me that would not have happened.