Ready Player One

TKthunder2

Saw it last night. As the saying goes, the book is always better than the movie. However, it also seems to be a movie that is only more generally based on the book. Same characters and basic plot but also lots of differences/divergents from the book plot. I always realize that there is not enough time in a movie to cover all that is in the book but it also kind of felt like..,someone giving a book report about it after having only read the Cliff’s Notes version of it and, even then, changing up various plot points. Didn’t hate it but certainly didn’t love it.

It was a fun movie.  I think what holds it back is the casting.  Rylance and Pegg as Halladay and Ogden were great, but I didn’t feel the same connection to the main characters.  Wasn’t feeling any chemistry between Wade and Samantha, even though I liked both actors. Aech was terrible. Felt like a Nickelodeon movie every time she said a line.  The Japanese guys were fine but sidelined.  Sorrento was too much of a buffoon. Dumbing him down made him kind of a mediocre villain.

Sitting at 64 on metacritic which feels about right.  Not a great movie but a fun ride.

Seeing ads for this film absolutely everywhere. 

Read the book, but don't remember much of it....other than it referenced 80's pop culture constantly.   I'm a gamer and an 80's kid, but reading about someone playing a video game...eh....I thought I'd like it more than I did.

The over-the-top CGI scenes in the trailers look terrible.   It looks like an animated super hero movie. 

Just got back from the Drafthouse Village. DeLorean with Ghostbusters decal was parked out front. I presume Mr. Cline was in the building for a private screening (pretty sure he wasn't in the theater I was in).

Movie was not as good as the book, but still a lot of fun. They made some interesting choices in adapting it to a 2 hour flick. CGI was well done and probably cleans up in next year's technical awards categories.

15 hours ago, Monster said:

Seeing ads for this film absolutely everywhere. 

Read the book, but don't remember much of it....other than it referenced 80's pop culture constantly.   I'm a gamer and an 80's kid, but reading about someone playing a video game...eh....I thought I'd like it more than I did.

The over-the-top CGI scenes in the trailers look terrible.   It looks like an animated super hero movie. 

Its a movie that takes place in a CGI world.  I think its on purpose.

8 hours ago, APMP said:

Just got back from the Drafthouse Village. DeLorean with Ghostbusters decal was parked out front. I presume Mr. Cline was in the building for a private screening (pretty sure he wasn't in the theater I was in).

I was there seeing Black Panther. Took a pic of the DeLorean and didn't make the connection of it being there for RPO.

Edited by CooterBrown

On 3/25/2018 at 1:14 PM, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

This was a hell of a read.  

Definitely in but had to laugh at the addition of a car chase to the trailer.  

Oh, Hollywood. 

same here on the car chase. guess that's what they had to do to make it work for a movie. not sure the challenge for the first key would translate to a movie too well

Definitely excited for the movie though. was a gamer as a kid, so loved the book

Saw it tonight..... Didn't really know much about it nor have any real expectations.

It's a ton of fun for a certain generation and if you were a gamer.  I think other generations may not really pick up or get all the pop culture references they throw at you from mostly the 80's (some 70's, some 90's, some aughts).  Visually it's pretty stunning.  The characters are pretty thin but if you want a fun, visual popcorn flick then this is pretty super.  I sort of likened it to a digital, VR version of Willy Wonka.....

All the Easter eggs are a trip to try and pick up....

Saw the movie Friday night.  The second key movie-within-a-movie was done well.  At first I was disappointed it didn’t use the one from the book but this worked out better for a movie.

My main criticism was that establishing relationships had to move too fast given a 2-hour movie.   But I guess we are all getting spoiled in the age of 8-10 hour cable or streaming series now.  Those series can slowly turn up the heat whereas a movie has to start off full burner.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Saw the movie Friday night.  The second key movie-within-a-movie was done well.  At first I was disappointed it didn’t use the one from the book but this worked out better for a movie.

My main criticism was that establishing relationships had to move too fast given a 2-hour movie.   But I guess we are all getting spoiled in the age of 8-10 hour cable or streaming series now.  Those series can slowly turn up the heat whereas a movie has to start off full burner.

I really liked the movie and I feel the same about the book. They're certainly different works from the same core DNA. The thing that struck me is what you also reference - this could be a badass 8-10 hour miniseries. 

My 13 year old and I were entertained.  I loved the book.  Fun, quick, mindless reading.  I'm not big into CGI superhero/sci-fi action movies, but I enjoyed this for what it is. Had I not read the book I doubt I'd have enjoyed the movie that much.   I was a little surprised they changed every one of the clues for gates and keys.  Would have liked to have seen ostriches and my son had just seen the movie with the lines referenced in the book a couple months ago so I was hoping that would still be a major clue he could figure out.  

I tend to be a Debbie Downer, but that's just because most movies that come out just suck.  This was a great example of HOW YOU MAKE A FUCKING MOVIE.  Of course, was there a doubt it would be good?  Speilberg? 80's? Video games? Soundtrack?  FUCKING ADVENTURE????!!??!?!!  One of my favorite 2600 titles btw, played it all night when I got it.  Knew about the secret dot, was entertaining knowing the millennials next to me had no fucking idea what they were referencing, probably didn't even believe it was accurate.

Only one complaint really, thought it was a little long, but that's about it.

Did this movie just come out?  If so, wtf, there was probably 20 people in the theatre.  First time at a Drafthouse I think, enjoyed that experience as well.

Went and saw it again with my daughter and I definitely liked it a lot better the second time. Decided to watch it this time without thinking at all about the book which helped. I’d say this is the rare movie that would be better to see BEFORE you read the book. Also echoing what was said before I was surprised that there were so few people at the 12:20 screening we attended at the Alamo here.

Saw it today with the kiddo. She's not a gamer or well versed in 80s pop culture but she liked it.

I remember the dot. I thought the constant 80s references were a little much, had to chuckle at how contrived some of them were, but pretty good movie all in all.

Saw it yesterday.  I read the book, but still enjoyed the movie.  I was disappointed in many of the things left out of the book but understand that getting permission for everything had to be a challenge.

Now that I have seen the film, and read the book I think they should have spread this over 2 or 3 films to do the book justice.

I was wary, but really enjoyed the movie.  That said, it has been a long time since I read the book, so that probably factored in.

Also, can't imagine how many references I totally whiffed on, but sure there were a bunch I completely missed.

Edited by hobbs

1 hour ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

I feel like I’m going to be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go in expecting a scene for scene adaptation of the book then you will be as you would with almost any book to movie.  If you just watch it and enjoy the story then you'll enjoy it IMO.

On 3/30/2018 at 5:48 PM, Viper said:

Has anyone's wife read the Ready Player One for Girls?

Ha, that was actually pretty funny.  And I only got maybe 14% of the references, so probably about right for how much my wife would understand of the actual book.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Didn't read the book, and dont plan on it.  I'm curious how much of the video game/movie icons in the book matched what was shown in the movie.  Also, I'm surprised there were no Star Wars references or was that a Disney issue?

If you're really all that curious, then read the book.

• Like 1