justhookit

COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only (no politics)

Just now, BradInATX said:

That opening things back up but with full mask requirements everywhere is actually one of the things you said that's not pulled out of your ass. I agree with you on that.

I had physician friends at the outset of this deal tell me it was nothing to worry about and to NOT wear masks and chided me for cancelling our SB trip. I ignored them frankly out of an abundance of caution. Because we didn’t know. 

But after a month of watching markets plummet and unemployment skyrocket, and seeing the demographic of deaths, we should have opened back up MUCH sooner. That’s not political. That’s economic common sense. But we should’ve proceeded with much more caution.  Masks everywhere in public unless you’re taking a drink or bite of food. I’m not sure what I’ve said that’s controversial. 

The bar thing is a really tricky deal. We shouldn’t be permitted to go to bars unless it’s a private club where you can spread out, and/or there’s a restaurant involved. I agree with Abbott on his order today. 

I think the recent uptick is a defiant lack of masks, more testing, and protesting. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We should shut down the economy again. Fuck it, go Full Greenspoint. 

Chicago distancing and opening was far more strict.  They’re pretty blue around these parts and we are still opening things up.  Didn’t have to be this way for Texas.  Be pissed at whoever set policy in your state. 

Edit: and I did think they were too strict here.  But too strict beats too lax for this exact reason, you have to do it all over again.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m pretty tired of the arguing where either side of the debate is convinced they are correct. There’s lefitimately no right answer and it can’t be known before hand one way or another. 

Argue for draconian shutdown and you lessen the spread of the virus at the cost of huge economic damage. And people’s mental health. And suicides. And drug OD’s, and divorces, and and and. 

Open it all up and you are going to have more cases and more deaths from the corona. But yeah, there’s no right answer. When you pound the table for an outcome that would yield Great Depression economics you aren’t winning. When you pound the table for 100’s of thousands of deaths you aren’t winning. When you try to Goldielocks it you probably will fuck up and go too hot or too cold and what- 30 million unemployed and 100k deaths?  Is that a win?

There’s some obvious shit that needs to get done line sheltering olds and nursing homes and the like but beyond that you are arguing preferences, not right and wrong. 

But it feels so good to blame all of it on the other bad people who caused everything.  In reality it’s a shit sandwich and we’re all taking a big bite.  

Edited by stork642

6 minutes ago, TornACL said:

The thing is, you wouldn't need the drastic measures if people were responsible and didn't confuse the desire of instant gratification with the responsibilities that come with freedom. 

Agreed and have said as much, but you don’t need that drastic measure now. If that happens, there’s gonna be a lot of backlash. 

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Except both options lead to massive economic depression. So maybe we should try to keep people alive.

There’s still gradiations.  And length of time matters as well on the lock downs economically. And lockdowns lead to suicides and OD’s as I mentioned. And financial ruin leads to shitty health outcomes. There’s not a correct answer there’s various grades of suck where moving the lever one direction leads to more pain and misery in the opposite directions. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I had physician friends at the outset of this deal tell me it was nothing to worry about and to NOT wear masks and chided me for cancelling our SB trip. I ignored them frankly out of an abundance of caution. Because we didn’t know. 

But after a month of watching markets plummet and unemployment skyrocket, and seeing the demographic of deaths, we should have opened back up MUCH sooner. That’s not political. That’s economic common sense. But we should’ve proceeded with much more caution.  Masks everywhere in public unless you’re taking a drink or bite of food. I’m not sure what I’ve said that’s controversial. 

The bar thing is a really tricky deal. We shouldn’t be permitted to go to bars unless it’s a private club where you can spread out, and/or there’s a restaurant involved. I agree with Abbott on his order today. 

I think the recent uptick is a defiant lack of masks, more testing, and protesting. 

I'd be fine with bars if everyone wore masks. I know full well that's basically impossible but if they could enforce it and invent some sort of beer helmet and mask combo that allowed you to pound cheap well drinks and beers at Treasure Island while keeping your mask on I'd be fine with it. But that's not going to happen.

The things I was addressing were the assertion that a vaccine won't work because the virus will mutate every year and your attributing all of the increases to the protests (I know you walked it back in this post some, but your first post pointed directly to the protests). The facts and data don't support either of those statements. Though I'm not really interested in rehashing the "it was the protests" arguments again. They've been thoroughly destroyed many times in these threads.

Edited by BradInATX

37 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

The spike in cases is because of increased testing and people attending protests.

Memorial Day.

And increased testing doesn't explain the rise in hospitalization rates, it simply shows us what's already there.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I'd be fine with bars if everyone wore masks. I know full well that's basically impossible but if they could enforce it and invent some sort of beer helmet and mask combo that allowed you to pound cheap well drinks and beers at Treasure Island while keeping your mask on I'd be fine with it. But that's not going to happen.

The things I was addressing were the assertion that a vaccine won't work because the virus will mutate every year and your attributing all of the increases to the protests (I know you walked it back in this post some, but your first post pointed directly to the protests). The facts and data don't support either of those statements.

A vax will work great. The point I’m making is that it won’t be a panacea.  Because virus. 

I didn’t attribute the increases solely to protests. Protests were a big part of the problem as was opening up bars with lack of masks. Any large grouping of people without masks, and really in general, was absurd in hindsight. But, I also mentioned increased testing and general lack of masks. Do you disagree?

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Memorial Day.

And increased testing doesn't explain the rise in hospitalization rates, it simply shows us what's already there.

Good point on hospitalizations. But with bars opening and people congregating, young people are gonna pass it to older people. I’d be interested to know about the ratio of hospitalizations to cases now versus say May 15th. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

A vax will work great. The point I’m making is that it won’t be a panacea.  Because virus. 

I didn’t attribute the increases solely to protests. Protests were a big part of the problem as was opening up bars with lack of masks. Any large grouping of people without masks, and really in general, was absurd in hindsight. But, I also mentioned increased testing and general lack of masks. Do you disagree?

Fair enough on the vaccine.

"The spike in cases is because of increased testing and people attending protests" No mention of masks even though it's probably something like 90% responsible for the recent spikes (obviously the protests didn't generate zero cases, but they're not the primary driver). But now we're just parsing words and I'm not really in the mood for one of those type debates. I'm going to go get drunk.Cheers.

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Treasure Island Sunday’s .25 cent drinks!  What a shit show that always turned into.   No way that place is still open?

Good point on hospitalizations. But with bars opening and people congregating, young people are gonna pass it to older people.

And restaurants.  For the data nerds out there.

https://fortune.com/2020/06/26/is-it-safe-restaurant-coronavirus-cases-credit-cards-restaurants-jp-morgan-chase-covid-19-outbreaks/

A surge in restaurant spending appears to predict a surge in coronavirus cases weeks later, a new JPMorgan study found.

The firm analyzed spending by 30 million Chase credit and debit cardholders and coronavirus case data from Johns Hopkins University, and found that spending patterns from a few weeks ago "have some power in predicting where the virus has spread since then," analyst Jesse Edgerton wrote Thursday. The study found that the "level of spending in restaurants three weeks ago was the strongest predictor of the rise in new virus cases over the subsequent three weeks," in line with the firm's recent studies using OpenTable data.

Notably, JPMorgan found that 'card-present' transactions in restaurants (meaning the person was dining in, not ordering online) were "particularly predictive" to a later spread of the virus.

And interestingly, the JPMorgan study also found that increased spending in supermarkets correlated to a slower spread of the virus. Analyst Edgerton wrote that the correlation hints that "high levels of supermarket spending are indicative of more careful social distancing in a state." The firm pointed out that as of three weeks ago, supermarket spending in states like New York and New Jersey, which are now seeing a decrease in cases, was up 20% or more from a year ago, whereas states now seeing a surge like Texas and Arizona saw supermarket spending up less than 10%.

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Treasure Island Sunday’s .25 cent drinks!  What a shit show that always turned into.   No way that place is still open?

They are. Wife and I walked 6th for old time's sake about a year ago (daytime because I'm not trying to get stabbed). Didn't go in but it looked the exact same as I (kind of) remember. I actually was going to mention those 25 cent drinks but didn't want to be the old guy telling everyone about the good old days. We'd go in and knock back 4 of them, wash down with a beer and leave for greener pastures and better scenery.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's really neat. I love when people use data to do cool shit. Glad you posted that.

I wonder if bars get classified as "Restaurants". I think if you look at my Wells Fargo spending breakdown, they end up getting put into the restaurants category.

Actually I have a chase credit card, I can look. Edit: Bars and Restaurants get grouped into "food and drink" so I assume when they say "Restaurants" they're using that category which would include bars.

Edited by BradInATX

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"The spike in cases is because of increased testing and people attending protests" No mention of masks even though it's probably something like 90% responsible for the recent spikes (obviously the protests didn't generate zero cases, but they're not the primary driver). But now we're just parsing words and I'm not really in the mood for one of those type debates. I'm going to go get drunk.Cheers.

Don’t fucking tell me Cheers unless you’re a Brit. I failed to mention in one post the lack of masks. I mentioned it in every other post. Cmon dude. 

The spike in testing is a canard. Testing is not increasing at any rate remotely approaching the increase in positives. And of course it has nothing to do with hospitalizations.

I’ll leave for another thread the implied CR commentary regarding protests except to say that one need only look at states other than Texas whose rates are not surging who had significant protests but had not reopened their economies as widely as we did.

Look, I get it. We have to “do the dance” unless and until we find a vaccine. That means an uptick with each incremental opening followed by clamping down to keep from overwhelming the hospitals.

But we opened the tap too widely and too quickly this time. Hopefully we can get this back under control and then more prudently open things up in the future.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Will read tonight but fuck that. Every restaurant I’ve been to, and it’s been a lot, has been ultra safe and spread out. 

Posted (edited)

Don’t fucking tell me Cheers unless you’re a Brit. I failed to mention in one post the lack of masks. I mentioned it in every other post. Cmon dude. 

Alright then. Slainte, you whiny bitch. Better?

Edited by BradInATX

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Will read tonight but fuck that. Every restaurant I’ve been to, and it’s been a lot, has been ultra safe and spread out. 

People trusting extremely limited anecdotal personal experiences over science and empirical evidence is part of the reason this country is so fucking stupid in 2020. Don't be part of the problem, Rex Kramer. #Cheers

Edited by BradInATX

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

The spike in testing is a canard. Testing is not increasing at any rate remotely approaching the increase in positives. And of course it has nothing to do with hospitalizations.

I’ll leave for another thread the implied CR commentary regarding protests except to say that one need only look at states other than Texas whose rates are not surging who had significant protests but had not reopened their economies as widely as we did.

Look, I get it. We have to “do the dance” unless and until we find a vaccine. That means an uptick with each incremental opening followed by clamping down to keep from overwhelming the hospitals.

But we opened the tap too widely and too quickly this time. Hopefully we can get this back under control and then more prudently open things up in the future.

I kind of disagree. Here in Texas, I think we may have been a little quick on the draw. I would have liked to have seen more cases (maybe 2-3 more weeks worth) before we locked down the first time. With doing it as early as we did, and assuming we shut down again soon, there could be a few more major spikes before cases dwindle. If there were more cases the first time, and fewer this go round, I think we would be through the worst of it and could pretty much be back to normal in the fall. Anyway, my comments as yours are pretty much conjecture.

The upside to having clamped down the first time before a major outbreak was that it gave physicians more time to improve treatment. So even though there is a large outbreak currently, mortality should remain fairly tame at least compared to what we would have experienced if the outbreak happened earlier in the year. There are trade-offs between nearly all decisions during this pandemic.

Edited by Bevo

I kind of disagree. Here in Texas, I think we may have been a little quick on the draw. I would have liked to have seen more cases (maybe 2-3 more weeks worth) before we locked down the first time. With doing it as early as we did, and assuming we shut down again soon, there could be a few more major spikes before cases dwindle. If there were more cases the first time, and fewer this go round, I think we would be through the worst of it and could pretty much be back to normal in the fall. Anyway, my comments as yours are pretty much conjecture.

I don’t really have an opinion on whether we closed down too soon. I do think we probably closed down too severely but only in hindsight. I don’t think it’s fair to second guess given how little we knew at the time.

I continue to believe we could have gradually reopened and prevented the current spike we are seeing. My concern is that the measures we are putting in place now are insufficient to staunch the flow of cases. I hope I’m wrong and look forward to eating crow in a few weeks if so.

27 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I think the chances of a vaccine are slim to none.  Nobody has developed any vaccines for SARS, or MERS, or any other coronavirus.  If they did, it would go over about like mask wearing.

I think the chances of a vaccine are slim to none.  Nobody has developed any vaccines for SARS, or MERS, or any other coronavirus.  If they did, it would go over about like mask wearing.

Then we will do the dance until we reach herd immunity. Prepare for a new normal over the next 4-5 years.

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Then we will do the dance until we reach herd immunity. Prepare for a new normal over the next 4-5 years.

That is my worst case scenario, and probably the most likely one.

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I disagree with this. Developing a vaccine against this coronavirus won't be that difficult because it doesn't mutate that quickly. There are no vaccines for SARS and MERS because there hasn't been a big need for it so pharmaceutical companies couldn't make money developing it. By the time biotech companies and academia had candidates the viruses had pretty much already burned out so pharmaceutical companies had no appetite to purchase them and further their development.

6 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

There's very little chance immunity will last more than 12-18 months.  So getting herd immunity for us all over the course of a couple shitty years is a pipedream.  I mean, it could happen, but just very low odds.  

10 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I don't see that at all.  Several trials are going well.  There has never been an effort or pot of gold for vaccine development like there is now.  And if the odds were slim to none we'd definitely be hearing about trials crashing and burning - that's not happening. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Say ‘in person’ then back out if you want, saying you ended up with a health issue and your family has to quarantine.  Fuck those assholes.  

Yeah... I came to the exact same conclusion shortly after I posted. What are they going to do, make my kids go to school in the middle of a public health crisis when my wife has newly discovered underlying health issues?

Fuck those assholes is right. It was going to be too difficult or too much work for them to figure out some hybrid or flexible system. So it's going to be hilarious when every parent chooses to send their kid to school right now and then they get fucked over in the fall trying to switch it up on the fly. And I promise you, that is exactly what's going to happen. 

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

But it feels so good to blame all of it on the other bad people who caused everything.  In reality it’s a shit sandwich and we’re all taking a big bite.  

Exactly.  We knew months ago this was going to be terrible.  There was no way around that fact.  I don't understand why anyone is surprised.

5 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Not trying to be a bitch, but unless you get tested and see those results back on the same day, you can never be positive that you don't have SARS-CoV-2. 

Nope you're right but since none of my family have any of the symptoms of Covid, going somewhere to get tested right now where sick people are doesn't seem prudent. In addition I am not sure a point in time test really helps me given that there are no symptoms. Moment I go to grocery store or interact with anyone outside my bubble I am at risk again and would need to get tested again. etc etc etc

Posted (edited)

For those that get hospitalized, what's the average timeline on infected-> feeling sick -> in the hospital?

How quickly do they go downhill?  What's the average length of a hospital stay?

Edited by smoky

Costco was out of TP today.  Asked the guy at the door when they restock, he said everyday but noted they tend to run out at opening due to the early opening for at risk folks.  

I left pissed we are about to do this all over again and wondered why a bunch of seniors with 1-2 people per household need to stock up on toilet paper...sucks as I currently have 3 adults and 2 young kids at my house, we use a lot of it as my 3yo is finally just now getting the hang of pooping in the potty.  

41 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I don't see that at all.  Several trials are going well.  There has never been an effort or pot of gold for vaccine development like there is now.  And if the odds were slim to none we'd definitely be hearing about trials crashing and burning - that's not happening. 

Hopefully you’re right.  Even if you are there will be a substantial amount of people who refuse to take it.  Because there is no vaccine for stupid.

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hopefully you’re right.  Even if you are there will be a substantial amount of people who refuse to take it.  Because there is no vaccine for stupid.

Yes the holy grail is a vaccine for stupid.  I don't have my hopes up for that one.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes the holy grail is a vaccine for stupid.  I don't have my hopes up for that one.  

It’s called birth control, but the conundrum is the same.

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Yep. Our neighbor came over and took a shit on our kitchen table, and now we are yelling at our wives for not cleaning it up right. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Yep. Our neighbor came over and took a shit on our kitchen table, and now we are yelling at our wives for not cleaning it up right. 

I don’t think we as a society have the intestinal fortitude to deal with something that can’t be blamed on someone else.  It’s a fucking pandemic and everyone wants to do what we can to survive but unfortunately virus’s kill people.  This didn’t start in 2020 and it damn sure won’t end after this year.  Buckle up bitches!

Edited by stork642

7 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He should have proclaimed state open for business and should have long before he did, and I’m not sure about your local authority overrule comment. Jenkins sure tried to flex his muscle over Abbott. And those of us in Dallas County suffered as a result. 

No idea about his take on masks, and if he did that was idiotic, but I don’t like the cut of your jib  

Rex, it doesn’t sound like you know what the fuck you’re talking about. 

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

This. If this was increased testing the positivity rate would be level, it isn’t. The positivity rate is going up. It’s called exponential spread, and it’s going to outpace any testing.

From the outside looking in:

1. Texas opened too soon. There was little indication April 27 that Texas’s spread has slowed enough to justify reopening at that time. While spread had receded SLIGHTLY it wasn’t on a major downward projection. Certainly not a trend  

2. Texas opened way too quickly. There was never time to watch the results of each stage of reopening. Hell during reopening phase 1, spread increased. It took a dip right after phase 2 went into effect, but has climbed steadily since Memorial Day, once the mass went critical and BOOM.

Don't forget, you’re always 2 weeks behind this thing. The cases being contracted today will be counted in 2 weeks. And it will be spreading the same way as it is now. Does Texas need to use the Nuclear option? Maybe, maybe not. But they need to take major steps, and a statewide masks order would help. 

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Alright then. Slainte, you whiny bitch. Better?

I suspect you’re neither Brit nor Irish. So no. 

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

People trusting extremely limited anecdotal personal experiences over science and empirical evidence is part of the reason this country is so fucking stupid in 2020. Don't be part of the problem, Rex Kramer. #Cheers

I’m bombed. Will read the article tomorrow with a clear head and if I’m wrong with the 2-3 restaurants I’ve frequented (a lot), I’ll stop going. Not Rex. Christ. 

This. If this was increased testing the positivity rate would be level, it isn’t. The positivity rate is going up. It’s called exponential spread, and it’s going to outpace any testing.
1. Texas opened too soon. There was little indication April 27 that Texas’s spread has slowed enough to justify reopening at that time. While spread had receded SLIGHTLY it wasn’t on a major downward projection. Certainly not a trend  
2. Texas opened way too quickly. There was never time to watch the results of each stage of reopening. Hell during reopening phase 1, spread increased. It took a dip right after phase 2 went into effect, but has climbed steadily since Memorial Day, once the mass went critical and BOOM.
Don't forget, you’re always 2 weeks behind this thing. The cases being contracted today will be counted in 2 weeks. And it will be spreading the same way as it is now. Does Texas need to use the Nuclear option? Maybe, maybe not. But they need to take major steps, and a statewide masks order would help. 

Agree on the too quickly aspect, 2 weeks between stages was just lip service. Especially with a major natl holiday in the mix.

9 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You silly cunt.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Too quickly yes, too soon...nah. Texas never had a reduction in cases, because we never had a first spike. Cases drifted up during the lockdown to a constant-ish daily rate that corresponded to our definition of essential business. If we had opened up the same way, I don’t think it matters if that was Memorial Day or the 4th of July...a spike was coming.

Edited by VolenteHawk

I need to dig into the age of folks being hospitalized more. 
It’s being reported that young people responsible for surge and then they give to grandma. 
unfortunately Austin doesn’t report cases where person is obese or has underlying condition both of which had been large drivers of hospitalizations. 

12 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Talking about increased testing without noting that the percentage of positive tests is going up is dumb. 

also 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I need to dig into the age of folks being hospitalized more. 
It’s being reported that young people responsible for surge and then they give to grandma. 
unfortunately Austin doesn’t report cases where person is obese or has underlying condition both of which had been large drivers of hospitalizations. 

The recent trends, in Travis County at least, are younger people getting hospitalized. Whites and Hispanics are getting hospitalized at a higher increased rate than other races.

Edited by BradInATX