clapclapclap

Shooting at Austin protest tonight, 1 dead

26 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

It may warrant a murder charge, If the facts show he was essentially lying-in-wait, and if he embarked on a plan to intentionally make this confrontation inevitable. He admitted how he would end the confrontation. And if he was following through on the plan as he pulled the trigger.

Are Austin juries wise enough to follow the law? I presume they are. I assume his lawyers are wise enough to see all of this already. And thank goodness he has legal representation. This needs to follow the book. Texas lawyers are damn smart. They do a lot of pondering. They can handle it.

Are lying-in-wait killings capital offenses in Texas? I assume they are. But I am no Texas lawyer. 

God speed to your justice system. Hard to find justice when a human was gunned down. 

We humans need to chill out. And don't point those things. Human life is too fragile.

Peace to all. 

I just don't see how any of those if's can be proven. I'm not saying that they aren't true, and if they are true then fuck him. But legally how do you prove them? I don't think his older twitter posts are enough. 

8 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I just don't see how any of those if's can be proven. I'm not saying that they aren't true, and if they are true then fuck him. But legally how do you prove them? I don't think his older twitter posts are enough. 

Twitter posts are leads. There is a lot of data out there to fill in the rest of the story.

Sad situation - especially for moms and pops who love their kids - whatever age. Senseless.

His plan was pretty shitty if that was his plan. Maybe he’s a dumbass. I don’t know.

Edit- nevermind northloop pretty much said what I was going to.

Edited by justhookit

9 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Has city council candidate Malice Afivehead weighed in yet?

Could have been Malice the Most when you think about it.  Go Gata.  

7 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

It may warrant a murder charge, If the facts show he was essentially lying-in-wait, and if he embarked on a plan to intentionally make this confrontation inevitable. He admitted how he would end the confrontation. And if he was following through on the plan as he pulled the trigger.

Are Austin juries wise enough to follow the law? I presume they are. I assume his lawyers are wise enough to see all of this already. And thank goodness he has legal representation. This needs to follow the book. Texas lawyers are damn smart. They do a lot of pondering. They can handle it.

Are lying-in-wait killings capital offenses in Texas? I assume they are. But I am no Texas lawyer. 

God speed to your justice system. Hard to find justice when a human was gunned down. 

We humans need to chill out. And don't point those things. Human life is too fragile.

Peace to all. 

After having watched Outcry, damn glad this didn’t happen in WilCo.  

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

If that is Perry then yeah he's a piece of shit. Honestly from what I've read about him he's still a huge piece of shit regardless of if that's him or not. 

But I still think he shouldn't be prosecuted for this. 

I go back and forth with each new piece of information that comes in.

In my mind the only 100%, dead solid, no question issue in this whole deal is that both Perry and Garrett had that "I got my gun and I ain't takin' no shit!", but really were looking to dole out some shit attitude.

Just a matter of time before two assholes like that cross paths.

10 hours ago, Longhorn said:

Yes, sir. Mr. non-escalation himself. 

This, to me, is what's amazing.  I mean he's protesting the cops, and aside from the racial component to that protest, I'm betting if this hadn't happened and I were to ask him about LEOs escalating situations unnecessarily, you'd get an earful from the guy about how they do and I'd be right there with him.  One could have asked him, "Do you think the police are way too quick to draw their weapons?  Should they, perhaps, calm the fuck down about that shit?"

I'll bet he would have provided quite an earful in the affirmative.

And, yet...

Edited by Cajun

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I don't know either, but if I were tasked with investigating this thing I'd be contacting his ride share vendor and requesting closed circuit camera footage to see how/where he was driving before the whole thing went down. For example, was he driving parallel and in the same direction of the protesters before hanging a right onto 4th to head them off at the pass on Congress?

I'd be looking for that kind of thing.

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

No, he was saying that he loves Oklahoma football, hates curvy women, and is thinking of becoming vegan.  You have to read between the lines with old Burnt Eyes.

Brisket, there is a line. Accuse me of liking non-Vic Macky women, fine, a veggie munching granola cruncher, so be it.... a racist antiBLM nazi, I disagree but alright you have a first amendment right... But a fan of Ousux? Wow, I mean just wow. I believe that qualifies as reason to use deadly force, or at least it does for me.

I don’t make the leap from his tweets to premeditation but they do, to me, render his version of the events to be completely worthless and they create a strong presumption that his standard for what constitutes an imminent threat is not objectively reasonable.

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Particularly, if the point about having a ride share drop and pick up downtown in the general area as his lawyer claims. Doesn't make the guy any less shitty, but if he had a legit reason that can (and it can one way or the other) be confirmed( or refutes) for being there it's gonna be a stretch to find a guilty verdict I believe if it is shown to be the case.

Edited by BurntEyes

43 minutes ago, Cajun said:

This, to me, is what's amazing.  I mean he's protesting the cops, and aside from the racial component to that protest, I'm betting if this hadn't happened and I were to ask him about LEOs escalating situations unnecessarily, you'd get an earful from the guy about how they do and I'd be right there with him.  One could have asked him, "Do you think the police are way too quick to draw their weapons?  Should they, perhaps, calm the fuck down about that shit?"

I'll bet he would have provided quite an earful in the affirmative.

And, yet...

It's a free ride, when you've already paid.

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

I don’t make the leap from his tweets to premeditation but they do, to me, render his version of the events to be completely worthless and they create a strong presumption that his standard for what constitutes an imminent threat is not objectively reasonable.

I agree with this theoretically. However, if it is shown that he was there for work, and despite his mindset, I'm not sure legally speaking it falls outside imminent threat if other evidence doesn't come to light that indicates such.

I know I keep coming back to this, and probably due to my anti-low ready stance, but the deceased interview combined with carrying at low ready and approaching the car gives a lot of weight to the threat aspect.

Mostly because in that exact situation, (which admittedly I'd likely never find myself) I am forced to admit that I'd feel threatened as fuck. I can't claim if I couldn't drive away (which I'm not sure he can or can't due to being obstructed by other protestors) that I would not go to arms. In fact, I know I likely would as the old adage goes, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. As always, I truly hope I'm never put in a position where I'm forced to make such a choice, and is the very reason I would not have been there in the first place.

Be left of bang

Use the 95% advantage

If you go to guns you failed

Edited by BurntEyes

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Mostly because in that exact situation, (which admittedly I'd likely never find myself) I am forced to admit that I'd feel threatened as fuck. I can't claim if I couldn't drive away (which I'm not sure he can or can't due to being obstructed by other protestors) that I would not go to arms. In fact, I know I likely would as the old adage goes, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. As always, I truly hope I'm never put in a position where I'm forced to make such a choice, and is the very reason I would not have been there in the first place.

I've thought about this a lot as well. If I were in a situation where protesters were surrounding my car like you see in numerous videos, I'm not sure what I'd do. I do know that seeing the Reginald Denny video a long time ago made me always vow that I'd never get out of the car. 

No idea if there's any truth to this, but a friend just posted this on Facebook, about Austin:

There is intelligence that professional rioters are being bussed in from Portland to disrupt peaceful protests and set up a CHOP.

Anyone heard anything about this?

Edited by Art Vandelay

WTF is a professional rioter? Not being flippant, but are these people actually compensated? Who is paying for the bus ride and paying them?

I really want more details on what, exactly, those mean or if it is social media bullshit.

16 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

No idea if there's any truth to this, but a friend just posted this on Facebook, about Austin:

Anyone heard anything about this?

yes

14 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Update from my friend:

Ask your friend to provide links to the media reports about paid protesters being sent from Portland to Austin to set up a CHOP.

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Ask your friend to provide links to the media reports about paid protesters being sent from Portland to Austin to set up a CHOP.

There aren't any. She's passing along info from APD contacts. Believe it or don't, I don't care. Just wondering if anyone had heard similar things.

19 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

WTF is a professional rioter? Not being flippant, but are these people actually compensated? Who is paying for the bus ride and paying them?

I really want more details on what, exactly, those mean or if it is social media bullshit.

No clue, but if I had to guess, BLM. They have plenty of money. Again, just a guess. I hope it is all social media bullshit.

5 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

No clue, but if I had to guess, BLM. They have plenty of money. Again, just a guess. I hope it is all social media bullshit.

It probably belongs in the other thread on debate over the riots/protests but if BLM or any organized group is funding:

"the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

It's no longer defined as a protest group for civil rights.

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Well if they’re being bussed in, it’ll take quite some time.🤔

Geezus people are dumb.

According to the Google's 2 days 8 hours.

But that is on Greyhound with the stops.

I would think chartered buses full of "professional rioters" would be pretty easy to track down. 

Of course it’s almost certainly bullshit.  Worse than that it’s probably fear mongering bullshit.  Social media is the perfect platform for people to feed their confirmation bias and play into the unmitigated fear/hatred of others.  

I feel like this happens every time there’s some kind of protesting action, and it’s always the same thing about people being bussed in to instigate unrest...what would these people gain beyond some pocket money at the risk of getting arrested?  The people paying them would gain what, and to what end?  I’ve driven from Austin to Portland, it took 3 long days in a uhaul...it seems a stretch they’d rent a bus for that when they can just find people here to pay.  

Now I know there have been situations when people from other states were arrested in protests/riots, but has there been any legit news where these people were found to be paid for it? You’d think the law of averages would play out where someone would have been busted and sung about who paid them, and I’d think it’d be big news as one side of the aisle would have gone ballistic over it and uncovered who exactly was paying them.  

Sadly cases of bullshit are on the rise 

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Apparently 5 buses arrived yesterday. 

If true and this kicks up the response from the police and other low ready carbine carrying folks not friendly to BLM could make Portland and Seattle seem down right friendly.

I held concerns about this back, but "2nd Amendment" supporters clashing with BLM/anitfa and aligned not so peaceful protestors crossed with police...

Is not a good mix for calm engagement.

Just now, Cousin Strawberry said:

There is no way you actually believe this.  

The "paid protestors" thing may well be bullshit, I don't know. But my friend has very good contacts within APD and I do believe something bad is brewing. Lots of chatter about it. We'll see. 

19 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

There aren't any. She's passing along info from APD contacts. Believe it or don't, I don't care. Just wondering if anyone had heard similar things.

The quote from your friend said: "there have been a few media reports." If she can't provide evidence of that, then I'd say it's probably bullshit social media hysteria.

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

It was bullshit 3 years ago and it’s almost certainly bullshit now

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/anti-trump-protesters-bused-into-austin/

Beyond that, if known violent folks are being funded and charter bused by an organization, there will be some federal resources involved that well..  go far, far beyond state and local and even federal police.

Something weird is happening in this country. There are more forces at play than orange man-haters and anti-racists.

Yeah, like I said buses and paid protestors may be complete bullshit. But APD and DPS are gearing up for something going down tonight. I hope it's just an over-abundance of caution.

Edited by Art Vandelay

4 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

The "paid protestors" thing may well be bullshit, I don't know. But my friend has very good contacts within APD and I do believe something bad is brewing. Lots of chatter about it. We'll see. 

“Everybody’s saying”.  Sounds familiar.  

Let’s see what happens.  If you’re so concerned, DM the APD and tell them, post their replies here.  I’ll wait.  Didn’t work out too well for a certain pizza joint, so maybe hold your gullible self until actual information emerges.  

26 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

🙄

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

“Everybody’s saying”.  Sounds familiar.  

Let’s see what happens.  If you’re so concerned, DM the APD and tell them, post their replies here.  I’ll wait.  Didn’t work out too well for a certain pizza joint, so maybe hold your gullible self until actual information emerges.  

LOL, ok dude. You may want to read the KXAN report posted above.

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The quote from your friend said: "there have been a few media reports." If she can't provide evidence of that, then I'd say it's probably bullshit social media hysteria.

And that UT has issued caution to students specific to this reality. Not just, not a good idea to be downtown generally due to protestors.

And if a group of known, funded, violent mercenaries aka "professional rioters" were being bused, my spider sense tells me those 5 buses would have had a "breakdown" somewhere in the Panhandle of Texas and the folks in them would have "gone home".

Edited by BurntEyes

6 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Yeah, like I said buses and paid protestors may be complete bullshit. But APD and DPS are gearing up for something going down tonight. I hope it's just an over-abundance of caution.

I would guess it is an abundance of caution, given last weekend started this thread.  

Anyone have any links to where I can get paid to riot? I want to sign up and then not do shit. I like free money. Or do the idiots require incriminating evidence of said rioting before payment?

6 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

LOL, ok dude. You may want to read the KXAN report posted above.

Which says nothing about paid protestors here to instigate unrest.  If anything it tells me people who despise the protest or what they’re protesting, are planning to ‘disrupt’ it...maybe by driving into it while carrying a pistol?  

I absolutely abhor anyone who willfully destroys property under the guise of taking advantage of the distraction, trying to prove ANY point or just from sheer/frustration.  Sadly it happens often.  Those people need to be arrested, charged and given fair access to the justice system.  

Unfortunately there is a track record of people who buy into unsubstantiated hype online, that take it as gospel, get themselves riled up, make the situation worse and people end up hurt/dead/property destroyed.  Spreading it here is conceivably dangerous and stupid, on your part.  

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I would guess it is an abundance of caution, given last weekend started this thread.  

That's kind of where I'm at on this. It's very likely there will indeed be protests tonight, but the "paid protesters" from Portland smacks of the Soros tropes.

While I get that last weekend's protesters probably didn't have a permit to march down Congress, job number one of the cops should be to keep the peace and protect protesters, bystanders, and property. I don't think they did that last weekend even though they had an evident presence given the extremely rapid response time to the shooting.

These quotes from the KXAN story should actually be encouraging:

APD: “We are bringing in the necessary staff, and have partnered with other local law enforcement agencies as we have done throughout the past few months, to allow for those peacefully and lawfully practicing their first  amendment rights while also working to prevent any violence or destruction of property.

DPS: “DPS supports the right of individuals to lawfully protest, and public safety is our top priority. Therefore, DPS will be increasing our presence this weekend, along with our local law enforcement partners, to ensure public safety needs are met and to combat any potential criminal activity.”

Those are absolutely the messages I want to hear.