Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Isn't Chibuzo like the one OL commit they have who is actually a decent OL prospect?

In any event, I would LOVE if they started converting some of their OL commits into DL.  Leave the cream of the in-state crop to us, please.

I assume they would make room for the Collins and Broughtons of the world.

If any Moro Ojomos pop up, though, it would certainly help our cause for them to fill up early.

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Isn't Chibuzo like the one OL commit they have who is actually a decent OL prospect?

Akinola is the only good one IMO.  The other 3 are slow with 2 having a lot of bad weight and the other ( Jefferson ) is barely 6' ft. tall with bad weight.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

27 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Aggy nabbing Burns is nice for Texas, as is the eventual Alford commitment, filling their class with guys that Texas has no interest in. they are at 7 commits right now for a class that is going to be maybe 20 guys unless they have a mass exodus/trap door (which would create new and interesting depth chart holes). Let's assume they add Hornsby, Alford, Kimber, Price, Achane, Omiere -- that would get them to 13. 

Their WR recruiting is going to get really interesting if they have to take Price. Assuming Demas, Achane, and Omiere all land there - taking 4 WRs in a class that doesn't have big numbers is going to make things tight at LB/DL . I guess they could keep Jefferson and move him to DT instead of just dropping his ass. 

They can gladly take Alford while we take Washington.  He's a fast 7 / Uncle Ro kid anyways.

They pretty much have to take Price's kid now if they offered.  Probably wouldn't sit well with Mr. BBQ to offer his kid then not take him.

8 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

In any event, I would LOVE if they started converting some of their OL commits into DL.  Leave the cream of the in-state crop to us, please.

I think he sucks, but he keeps getting great offers, so who knows?

14 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10089603/5bf34c4b9676290a90204489

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I assume they would make room for the Collins and Broughtons of the world.

If any Moro Ojomos pop up, though, it would certainly help our cause for them to fill up early.

Talented unknowns and late bloomers pop up every year.  Jimbo's early recruiting is going to take him out of the running for most of them.  Then aggy will cry when the kids come to Texas and the rating services belatedly recognize the talent our staff spotted months earlier.  Soak, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What did I say? I don’t remember ever thinking Evans’ recruitment would be dire, but for sure a circus. Either way, it’s recruiting and shit changes over a year. I am not gloating about Evans in regard to UT. I’m just digging the aggie futility with him.

My mistake, the quote was regarding Kenyon Green. 

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Talented unknowns and late bloomers pop up every year.  Jimbo's early recruiting is going to take him out of the running for most of them.  Then aggy will cry when the kids come to Texas and the rating services belatedly recognize the talent our staff spotted months earlier.  Soak, rinse, repeat.

I loved this quote from a texags thread yesterday.  Considering them losing their collective shit following the most recent ratings movement, this is a bold statement for aggy:

This far out from signing day, 2020, there are a lot of players that are very good that are underrated as three stars. The reasons for that could be any number of things: they are late bloomers, they have limited exposure to scouts due to the quality of their high school program, they were injured for part of their careers up until this point, etc.

A lot of the current three stars will ascend to higher rankings by the time they sign with the program they pick. This is because they may experience a major growth spurt, they may train super hard over the summer and then show out their senior years as if the "light switched on" for them. It all depends.

https://texags.com/forums/9/topics/3017526

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I loved this quote from a texags thread yesterday.  Considering them losing their collective shit following the most recent ratings movement, this is a bold statement for aggy:

https://texags.com/forums/9/topics/3017526

Cognitive dissonance aside, that's how every year goes. Look at our recent fleet of offers to 3-stars in Georgia/Florida with every offer in the books. Those kids will get reranked as 4-stars the moment they show up to a camp.

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is aggy about to offer this DT?  Perroni has a note on him.

https://247sports.com/player/chidozie-nwankwo-46037576/

I've posted about him a few times before. From the same school as Reuben Fatheree and stud 2021 WR Cody Jackson. He made an early commitment to Houston but recently backed off.

Nwankwo was in town yesterday for the Super Bowl event and he's someone A&M has been watching for a while. They really wanted him at camp this past summer but he never made it. With a down year in the state, keep an eye on him.

He is on the shorter side at 6-0 but is the quickest DT in the state, regardless of class. He also does not have much fat on him at all. Whether that a good thing or not in the SEC, I don't know. But he's absolutely jacked. He's not Ed Oliver but Oliver did prove how disruptive similar players could be.

Here's a pic of him with Fisher yesterday that someone tweeted at me.

9018535.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=180:125,offset-y0.50&width=180&height=125

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The narrative that it is a down year in-state at DL for 2020 is pretty fucking hilarious.

Its aggy, they ran out of room to type. 

It IS a down year in-state at DL for 2020, for kids that aggy could have a chance landing.

2 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Damn jimbo is making even late Mack recruiting look brilliant if they are making these types of offers.

I dont see it. If you go and compare Poona Fords film to this kid, Poona is far more disruptive and finished far more plays. I actually like short DT’s because they can get a leverage advantage, but this does not scream good eval.

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

5:26p

Staff

- I spoke with Shadow Creek S Xavion Alford about his offer from the Aggies yesterday. The offer is special for Xavion because he felt like he had really worked for it considering how many times he had visitied and the fact that he camped at A&M last summer. Therefore, it was a little more special for Zay and those around him. 

"Coach Fisher said they really like my game and that I'm just a ballplayer. He told me they are going to do whatever they have to do to get me to be an Aggie."

I asked Alford he had talked to former Fast Houston teammate Leon O'Neal about the offer, and Alford responded, "I didn't talk to Leon afterward, but earlier he told me to 'be patient, it's coming. Coach Elko talks about you all the time.'" 

The Aggies certainly vaulted themselves to an outstanding spot to land Alford. Other top schools include Michigan and LSU. He'll likely visit both in the coming months. I'd say a summertime decision wouldn't be out of the question here. It's worth noting too that Shadow Creek's head coach, Brad Butler, is an former student of Texas A&M. 

- In talking to multiple sources on Trinity Christian DB Dwight McGlothern, it's fair to say the Aggies came away maintaining their status near the front of the line. I was told McGlothern met with Jimbo, and both parties reciprocated their consistent, continued feelings toward each other. Coach Fisher told Dwight the Aggies stance on him hasn't changed, and Dwight said the same thing back to Fisher. McGlothern plans on visiting Texas for their next junior day and will also see many of his top schools over the spring and summer. As of now, the plan is a Signing Day decision for Dwight, but that could change if he feels strongly enough for one school to shut it down ahead of that timeframe.

- Baton Rouge (LA) DT Jaquelin Roy got to spend a ton of time with A&M commits Smart Chibuzo, Akinola Ogunbiyi, and Josh Bankhead. Still a long way to go here, but if the Aggies could land him, a huge credit would have to go to the kids in the class that have forged that relationship. 

- Speaking of the commits, I was told WR pledge Demond Demas was going to work for the Maroon and White on campus yesterday. He was one of the more vocal guys amongst the group and even has his eyes set on some of the best in Houston in 2021, as well. It should be noted that he's pretty tight with Ft Bend WIllowridge WR Latrell Neville. 

- I don't believe a date has been set for the Aggies' next big underclass get together, but it's a good bet you'll see some of these top 2022 names start finding their way to campus. One of the kids getting the most attention early on in that class is Beaumont West Brook stud Bryce Anderson who was on campus yesterday. I asked Bryce how it went, and he said, "I loved it up there just like I do every time I come. It's just different at A&M. I love it. It's definitely been my favorite place so far."

- 2021 DB Tony Grimes out of Virginia was given the five star treatment by the A&M staff. He came by the studio on Friday before he got a chance to sit down with the coaches, but even then, he said something off camera that I thought was pretty telling in terms of what kind of impact the Aggie staff and College Station in general was already having on the kid and his inner circle. They told me, "The only place that comes close to this in terms of facilities and support is Clemson, but even still, the people here just put A&M over the top. It's a combination of everything." Grimes will visit Alabama soon this spring. 

- Staying in 2021, from talking to some sources, it sounds like the Aggies will be prime candidates to land Katy Tompkins DE Tunmise Adeleye whenever it becomes time to make his decision. Keep in mind that this is a kid the A&M staff was early to identify as one of the top players in the state. He camped for multiple days over last summer and spent a ton of time with Terry Price. It's still early, but it already looks like an A&M-Texas battle is forming on the horizon. 

I don't think that's absurd. Coaches were definitely using that against Strong and I bet they were probably using it against Herman after year 1. 

Reality is the perception of stability is a good thing. 

Jimbo's contract is definitely absurd but I think it definitely helps from a stability perspective. Recruits know he isn't going anywhere for at least 5 to 6 more years. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ryan Brauninger

5:26p

Staff

- I spoke with Shadow Creek S Xavion Alford about his offer from the Aggies yesterday. The offer is special for Xavion because he felt like he had really worked for it considering how many times he had visitied and the fact that he camped at A&M last summer. Therefore, it was a little more special for Zay and those around him. 

"Coach Fisher said they really like my game and that I'm just a ballplayer. He told me they are going to do whatever they have to do to get me to be an Aggie."

I asked Alford he had talked to former Fast Houston teammate Leon O'Neal about the offer, and Alford responded, "I didn't talk to Leon afterward, but earlier he told me to 'be patient, it's coming. Coach Elko talks about you all the time.'" 

The Aggies certainly vaulted themselves to an outstanding spot to land Alford. Other top schools include Michigan and LSU. He'll likely visit both in the coming months. I'd say a summertime decision wouldn't be out of the question here. It's worth noting too that Shadow Creek's head coach, Brad Butler, is an former student of Texas A&M. 

- In talking to multiple sources on Trinity Christian DB Dwight McGlothern, it's fair to say the Aggies came away maintaining their status near the front of the line. I was told McGlothern met with Jimbo, and both parties reciprocated their consistent, continued feelings toward each other. Coach Fisher told Dwight the Aggies stance on him hasn't changed, and Dwight said the same thing back to Fisher. McGlothern plans on visiting Texas for their next junior day and will also see many of his top schools over the spring and summer. As of now, the plan is a Signing Day decision for Dwight, but that could change if he feels strongly enough for one school to shut it down ahead of that timeframe.

- Baton Rouge (LA) DT Jaquelin Roy got to spend a ton of time with A&M commits Smart Chibuzo, Akinola Ogunbiyi, and Josh Bankhead. Still a long way to go here, but if the Aggies could land him, a huge credit would have to go to the kids in the class that have forged that relationship. 

- Speaking of the commits, I was told WR pledge Demond Demas was going to work for the Maroon and White on campus yesterday. He was one of the more vocal guys amongst the group and even has his eyes set on some of the best in Houston in 2021, as well. It should be noted that he's pretty tight with Ft Bend WIllowridge WR Latrell Neville. 

- I don't believe a date has been set for the Aggies' next big underclass get together, but it's a good bet you'll see some of these top 2022 names start finding their way to campus. One of the kids getting the most attention early on in that class is Beaumont West Brook stud Bryce Anderson who was on campus yesterday. I asked Bryce how it went, and he said, "I loved it up there just like I do every time I come. It's just different at A&M. I love it. It's definitely been my favorite place so far."

- 2021 DB Tony Grimes out of Virginia was given the five star treatment by the A&M staff. He came by the studio on Friday before he got a chance to sit down with the coaches, but even then, he said something off camera that I thought was pretty telling in terms of what kind of impact the Aggie staff and College Station in general was already having on the kid and his inner circle. They told me, "The only place that comes close to this in terms of facilities and support is Clemson, but even still, the people here just put A&M over the top. It's a combination of everything." Grimes will visit Alabama soon this spring. 

- Staying in 2021, from talking to some sources, it sounds like the Aggies will be prime candidates to land Katy Tompkins DE Tunmise Adeleye whenever it becomes time to make his decision. Keep in mind that this is a kid the A&M staff was early to identify as one of the top players in the state. He camped for multiple days over last summer and spent a ton of time with Terry Price. It's still early, but it already looks like an A&M-Texas battle is forming on the horizon. 

"It's just different at A&M"

You'll get no argument from anybody on that.

9 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

It's worth noting too that Shadow Creek's head coach, Brad Butler, is an former student of Texas A&M.

So ol Brad studied "Texas A&M", presumably at A&M, but didn't graduate? Seems like a good use of his time