Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Reveal hidden contents

Liucci

In reply to Belton Ag • 9:17p

Staff

That was never true (him turning the job down). Doesn't mean he accepted it but he never turned it down. Just mulled it over for a while. Thing about Jimmy T is this: He's moved around a lot over the past decade or so. I may be leaving some out, but in the last ten years he's been at BC, A&M, Tech (for a very brief off-season stint), the NFL (Dolphins), Cincinnati (for a very brief off-season stretch), A&M and now it would appear the NFL (Cincy). What went largely unreported is that even last year, he interviewed with Notre Dame, the Raiders and UCLA but loved A&M too much to leave. It's tough to imagine him turning down the chance to coach for a member of his extended family - and someone he's worked with for several years in college and the pros - in the league and I don't think anyone could really blame him. This has been buzzing in NFL circles for a while because a couple of pro OL guys have inquired about the job recently so you can rest assured Coach Fisher has a plan and - mark this down - if he needs to find a replacement he'll have one in very short order much like we saw with the tight end hire. I also think it's a chance for the Ags to bring in a stud recruiter (though he'll have to match Turner's Xs and Os acumen, which won't be easy) with the 2020 and 2021 o-line classes in Texas being absolutely loaded. It would be a loss but also an opportunity to get better.

Ah yes, the old addition by subtraction ruse. Next one will begin with don't believe what your eyes tell you.  Surprised it wasn't written that Jimmy T turned down a job with the Patriots which is a big deal because they won a ring which he'd be wearing should he have chosen to go. But instead, he loved his dear ol'aggy too much and settled for middle of the SEC, per the usual.  The T stands for turdition.   

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I think it's quite possible they upgrade from a recruiting standpoint, but I'm hoping the "recruit 5 guards" strategy is a Jimbo thing that persists regardless of the OL coach.

Bingo.  What Herman's Houston team did to Jimbo in the Peach Bowl looked very much like what happened to his aggy squad a bunch of times this year.

Edited by sushihorn

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The part where he talks about multiple NFL OL coaches clamoring to come work for Jimbo Fisher, but also at risk of not being able to keep up with The Marine's X's and O's acumen caused me to erupt with laughter. I swear to God that shit has to be satire. It's too rich not to be.

Yeah, how does that work?  Hey jimbo old buddy I know you have an OL coach, but will you fire him and hire me?

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The part where he talks about multiple NFL OL coaches clamoring to come work for Jimbo Fisher, but also at risk of not being able to keep up with The Marine's X's and O's acumen caused me to erupt with laughter. I swear to God that shit has to be satire. It's too rich not to be.

He's playing up to his audience. In coaching circles, Jimbo has the reputation of being an asshole so not quite sure who Looch thinks would be beating down his door.

8 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Hide contents

Liucci

In reply to Belton Ag • 9:17p

Staff

That was never true (him turning the job down). Doesn't mean he accepted it but he never turned it down. Just mulled it over for a while. Thing about Jimmy T is this: He's moved around a lot over the past decade or so. I may be leaving some out, but in the last ten years he's been at BC, A&M, Tech (for a very brief off-season stint), the NFL (Dolphins), Cincinnati (for a very brief off-season stretch), A&M and now it would appear the NFL (Cincy). What went largely unreported is that even last year, he interviewed with Notre Dame, the Raiders and UCLA but loved A&M too much to leave. It's tough to imagine him turning down the chance to coach for a member of his extended family - and someone he's worked with for several years in college and the pros - in the league and I don't think anyone could really blame him. This has been buzzing in NFL circles for a while because a couple of pro OL guys have inquired about the job recently so you can rest assured Coach Fisher has a plan and - mark this down - if he needs to find a replacement he'll have one in very short order much like we saw with the tight end hire. I also think it's a chance for the Ags to bring in a stud recruiter (though he'll have to match Turner's Xs and Os acumen, which won't be easy) with the 2020 and 2021 o-line classes in Texas being absolutely loaded. It would be a loss but also an opportunity to get better.

Are we taking bets on how long before the narrative on oline recruits in 2020 and 2021 becomes “underwhelming” and “weak years in-state?” Will it be immediatley after Garth commits to Texas?

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Are we taking bets on how long before the narrative on oline recruits in 2020 and 2021 becomes “underwhelming” and “weak years in-state?” Will it be immediatley after Garth commits to Texas?

Jimbo and marine hand picked their guys for 2020 early on. Sip is just taking the leftovers. 

I’m not sure where they go from that if/when they trapdoor some of them, but I trust looch will come up with something. 

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perroni has an update on the 2020 OL haul of 4 Guards in regards to Turner leaving if anyone has it.  

I got you fam

Also, I have no idea their plans but if A&M decided it took too many OL too early, having a new coach that is making his own evals would be a way for the Aggies to tactfully re-evaluate the class.

Not Pepperoni, but the ministry. Sounds like some decommiting coming which is disappointing. 

Spoiler

A couple 2020 OL notes

Ryan Brauninger

11:33a

Staff

I've spoken directly with OL commit Smart Chibuzo from Ft Bend Hightower and then with a source on The Woodlands College Park OL Josh Bankhead.

Both guys are disappointed in the Turner news. They had grown close with JT. Chibuzo said that Turner was one of the main reasons he chose A&M. Smart said he understood the move to the NFL and respected it. I know tor certain that Jimbo Fisher has been contacting at least a couple of the commits regarding the news of Turner's departure. 

Based on what I've been told, I think both Bankhead and Chibuzo will remain committed to A&M during the transition at least for the time being. 

I've got more texts out to get more reaction, and I'll post it here as I receive it. 

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Hmm.  Super interesting.

But makes me happy for a few reasons:

1.) Doesn't seem like a bagman type guy with a huge amount of loyalty to Jimbo.

2.) Has basically 0 recruiting skins on the wall in Texas.

3.) Was crappy enough OC scheme guy that he was basically out of a job after 2015, when Gundy brought him back to oSu as an analyst.

46 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

He was good at Okie Lite

...he was also quite bad at Missouri. Mizzou's 2015 O-line was the worst unit in the Power Five despite fielding two future NFL starters.

Edited by satyanash

5 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Not Pepperoni, but the ministry. Sounds like some decommiting coming which is disappointing. 

Reveal hidden contents

A couple 2020 OL notes

Ryan Brauninger

11:33a

Staff

I've spoken directly with OL commit Smart Chibuzo from Ft Bend Hightower and then with a source on The Woodlands College Park OL Josh Bankhead.

Both guys are disappointed in the Turner news. They had grown close with JT. Chibuzo said that Turner was one of the main reasons he chose A&M. Smart said he understood the move to the NFL and respected it. I know tor certain that Jimbo Fisher has been contacting at least a couple of the commits regarding the news of Turner's departure. 

Based on what I've been told, I think both Bankhead and Chibuzo will remain committed to A&M during the transition at least for the time being. 

I've got more texts out to get more reaction, and I'll post it here as I receive it. 

While aggy decommits are always fun I'd rather the all Guard lineup stay committed.  If one does leave I hope it's Akinola.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Tarp/aggy boards saying Elko is a Strong candidate for the Bengals DC job.

Imagine getting the job of a lifetime at 35 years old and deciding that multiple members of your staff needed to come from aggy.  Good luck with that one, Cincy.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Imagine getting the job of a lifetime at 35 years old and deciding that multiple members of your staff needed to come from aggy.  Good luck with that one, Cincy.

The Bengals are used to mediocrity. You could say they are the aggy’s of the NFL. They are more worried about the Browns than the Super Bowl.

I’m really not sure why Aranda doesn’t get more mention. It’s been rumored that he’d rather be an NFL DC than a college HC, and he has about as good of a resume as you could want as a college DC. Weird that he’s not mentioned in a search like this or when Temple was interviewing candidates like Elko and Orlando.

Major Burns says hi. 

Spoiler

Liucci

12:17a, 2/7/19

Staff

AG

The truth of the matter is that the Aggies are having to tap the brakes a little bit right now. Literally for fear of loading up TOO soon in the secondary, which could very well happen if they pushed hard on any number of guys. The next few weeks or so of evals are going to be very vital in terms of sorting out the large number of offer-worthy DBs and then deciding who to push for.