Jump to content
Machinator

Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Recommended Posts

He'll be there 3 years and gone.  Like Mond, and some of their other high end players, he'll likely be able to torch the shitty teams they play, and the Bama's and LSU's will make him less impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, golfclap said:

So Demas is a badass but they may want to temper the FR Heisman enthusiasm. It’s not just that he hasn’t played football in a year— It looks like hasn’t worked out in a year and maybe hasn’t eaten during the pandemic. 
 

 

 

 

are people here really claiming Demas will be running up against similar athletes defensively in college? Someone please post the extensive list of 6’3” and 6’4” cornerbacks with elite measurables and athleticism that are littering the rosters of college football teams. I’ll wait. 

unless dude is a mental flake or lazy, he should end up a very good college player. Probably a very very good one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we all agree with that, he’s a complete freak, but there are football board posters, so ...

 

 

I am really surprised at how skinny he is right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

are people here really claiming Demas will be running up against similar athletes defensively in college? Someone please post the extensive list of 6’3” and 6’4” cornerbacks with elite measurables and athleticism that are littering the rosters of college football teams. I’ll wait. 

unless dude is a mental flake or lazy, he should end up a very good college player. Probably a very very good one.  

He measured at 6’1 at the aloha bowl, he also looks to weigh about a 160 in that photo. Calvin Johnson or AJ green he is not. He is a great athlete but size will def not be an advantage for him in that conference or any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

He measured at 6’1 at the aloha bowl, he also looks to weigh about a 160 in that photo. Calvin Johnson or AJ green he is not. He is a great athlete but size will def not be an advantage for him in that conference or any.

6'1? Do you have a link of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

He measured at 6’1 at the aloha bowl, he also looks to weigh about a 160 in that photo. Calvin Johnson or AJ green he is not. He is a great athlete but size will def not be an advantage for him in that conference or any.

Polynesian Bowl.

He's still a ridiculous athlete who timed in the 'low 4.3's' at the Opening - but that height/weight certainly isn't special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

He measured at 6’1 at the aloha bowl, he also looks to weigh about a 160 in that photo. Calvin Johnson or AJ green he is not. He is a great athlete but size will def not be an advantage for him in that conference or any.

He's more similar to ODB than those guys 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I mean...he's a little better than Jalen Preston. Come on. 

I'm sure Jimbo will figure out a way to stunt his career though

Never said he wasn't. Just saying that he's more raw as a WR coming out of high school, and Jimbo's offense typically requires some polish at the position if you want to see the field

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

He measured at 6’1 at the aloha bowl, he also looks to weigh about a 160 in that photo. Calvin Johnson or AJ green he is not. He is a great athlete but size will def not be an advantage for him in that conference or any.

i mean, as a recruit from 247:

AJ Green: 6'4" 184 (#7 overall composite player) up to 211 at NFL combine

Calvin Johnson: 6'4" 210 (#23 overall composite player) - up to 239 at NFL combine

 

you don't think it is entirely reasonable for any freshman entering a halfway decent program to add a ton of (good) weight if they work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

are people here really claiming Demas will be running up against similar athletes defensively in college? Someone please post the extensive list of 6’3” and 6’4” cornerbacks with elite measurables and athleticism that are littering the rosters of college football teams. I’ll wait. 

unless dude is a mental flake or lazy, he should end up a very good college player. Probably a very very good one.  

Not to discount the db's he'll be pitting up against and not discounting his athletic ability, but he still has to have a QB to get the ball there and that QB still has to have an OL to keep him upright. He's not out there playing WR in vacuum like some 7on7 drill. There are a lot of factors that go into making a "very good college player".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Orange&White said:

Not to discount the db's he'll be pitting up against and not discounting his athletic ability, but he still has to have a QB to get the ball there and that QB still has to have an OL to keep him upright. He's not out there playing WR in vacuum like some 7on7 drill. There are a lot of factors that go into making a "very good college player".

No doubt. But being faster and jumping higher and having a good wing span can make a lot of difference for such things. Mike Evans made a lot of nonsense from Manziel into highlight plays. The question is, is Mond getting the ball within 3 feet of Demas, or is he getting it within 15?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aggie 247 / Jeff Tarpley / 2020 A&M profile: Demas could be impact player as freshman

Some excerpts that the Surl will love (italics/bold mine):

"Demas is listed at 6-foot-3, 182 pounds."

"4.43 forty, had a 41 inch vertical leap, and long jumped 23 feet 8.5 inches."

"In the end, a UIL Executive Committee in Austin ruled in August that he was ineligible to play at Tomball for his senior season."

"Demas has a huge frame which will allow him to get as big as needed."

"He has great top end speed as evidenced by a 11.26 second 100 meter dash in high school" 

 

 

Spoiler

2020 A&M profile: Demas could be impact player as freshman
ByJEFF TARPLEY

We’re taking a look at how each member of the Aggies' 2020 roster could help A&M in the coming season. Today, we examine the game of freshman wideout Demond Demas. Demas is listed at 6-foot-3, 182 pounds.

WHAT DID A&M SEE IN HIM?
Demas is 6 foot 3 and has been timed with a 4.43 forty, had a 41 inch vertical leap, and long jumped 23 feet 8.5 inches. During his last season of high school football, he averaged over 30 yards a reception and a touchdown every other catch. He also returned a punt and a kickoff for scores and ran for five more touchdowns. He had one game where he had five touchdowns on five receptions. 

There's very few people at the high school level that offer his combination of athleticism and big play capabilities. 

RANKING
Demas was rated as a five star prospect in the 247 Sports Composite with a rating of 0.989, the 25th best player in the country, and the third best wideout nationally. It's actually kind of shocking to think that there were two receivers rated ahead of him. 

COMMITMENT TIME
Demas released a top five of Oklahoma, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia and Texas in July of 2018 (prior to his junior season) but then tended to open things back up and visited Kyle Field for the Aggies' showdown with Clemson. After watching the Aggies throw it around for 430 yards and nearly pull off an upset of the eventual national champions, he committed to the Aggies. He took an unofficial visit to Texas but in an era when prospects will stay committed while taking visits and then eventually signing (and keep people guessing in the process), Demas pretty much shut things down after that. 

THE OPENING
Demas was one of the most spectacular players at the event in the summer of 2019. During 7 on 7 work he was targeted on crossing routes at times in the red zone and did spectacular work on those throws. He was such an automatic mismatch in the red zone because of his ability to rip the ball out of the air. For whatever reason, teams shied away from fade and smash routes at The Opening and tended to run plays with multiple reads designed to spring people open. As a result, his best work came on inside routes, especially where the ball was thrown high and only he could get it. 

SENIOR SEASON
Demas didn't have one.

After putting up ridiculous numbers at Houston North Forest as a junior, the 6-foot-3, 182-pound standout moved to Tomball in the spring of 2019. However, Houston Forest Brook coaches did not sign off on it, claiming it was for athletic purposes. Demas, meanwhile, said he moved due to 'safety concerns.'  

In the end, a UIL Executive Committee in Austin ruled in August that he was ineligible to play at Tomball for his senior season. He remained at Tomball as a student. However, he did participate in the The Polynesian Bowl in January. He had two touchdown receptions, one of which was called back due to a penalty.

STRENGTHS
- Demas has a huge frame which will allow him to get as big as needed. He combines it with great leaping ability to high point the ball on throws in contested situations and the huge hands to be able to snatch it out of the air regardless of whether it's on a crossing route or in the corner of the end zone. 

- Most taller players have range and can cover ground but lack the compactness and quick twitch ability to come off of the line of scrimmage quickly. However, Demas comes off of the line like a much smaller player and with his speed not only gets an advantage early in the route but also maintains or extends it due to his length. He has great top end speed as evidenced by a 11.26 second 100 meter dash in high school and can catch a crossing route, get to the sidelines, and destroy angles of defenders in position to stop him. His ability to turn the corner after getting the ball in his hands is what separates him from many receivers who average 20 yards per reception in the high school ranks...they generate big plays on the deep routes but Demas can also do this on shorter routes with his run after catch ability.

- Demas has excellent coordination and body control. He doesn't just high point a ball....he can adjust to throws in the air and extends his hands to catch just about anything, regardless of whether the ball is over his head or away from his body on a sideline throw. Because of his long arms, there's times where he'll catch the ball with his body as opposed to his hands but his length enables him to cradle such throws and tuck them away. In addition, he'll stay upright after contact and keep going.

- There's not a lot of questions surrounding Demas. He had the layoff during the 2019 campaign when he could have refined his game even further than what he has in terms of his ability to read defenses, get into his routes, use his footwork to gain separation, and then look for the ball. However, the layoff didn't seem to bother him at the Polynesian Bowl last January in terms of his conditioning or productivity. 

SUMMARY
The Aggies return Jhamon Ausbon at the X and have an opening at the slot (which is expected to be filled by other players) and then at the Z. In A&M's offense, this spot is utilized more on go, seam, and post routes that can open up shorter throws for the tight end, slots, and X. It requires someone to be able to read the defender and even if they don't get the ball take them out of harm's way so that other players might benefit. In addition, on shorter routes, they'll need to square off their routes so that they don't permit a defender to undercut the throw, provide a better throwing lane, or perhaps move a defender out of a throwing lane to the benefit of another receiver.

Freshmen receivers who have made an impact at A&M generally (think Christian Kirk) have been on the inside since it's easier to get the ball to those players. For the most part, freshmen at the outside spots haven't seen the field nearly as much as the experienced players. This has been true prior to Jimbo Fisher's arrival and afterwards as well as younger players found it difficult to overcome almost learning the requirements of the position and the offense itself from scratch, particularly as A&M runs the West Coast which places a greater emphasis on throwing to spots and on time. They also have to deal with the physicality of the players at the college level as well as the speed of the game. In fact, this is true of almost everywhere in the SEC in which the number of freshmen who annually make it into the top 20 in receptions in the league are few and far between...just one each in 2019 and 2018 and two in 2017 (one of them being Ausbon who was something of a mature route runner when he got to College Station). Demas will also have a number of experienced players with more time in the program than him that were also rated highly coming out of high school.

However, Demas is uniquely suited to such challenges given his freakish athleticism. The lack of spring practice really didn't hurt him because he wasn't an early enrollee anyway. If he makes the adjustments in terms of his routes and knowledge of the offense, there will be times that he looks like a man among boys, especially versus outmatched competition. His ability to do more than that will depend on how much confidence he's able to generate from A&M quarterback Kellen Mond in terms of being dependable on his routes and also getting to the ball in contested situations. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SydneyCarton said:

No doubt. But being faster and jumping higher and having a good wing span can make a lot of difference for such things. Mike Evans made a lot of nonsense from Manziel into highlight plays. The question is, is Mond getting the ball within 3 feet of Demas, or is he getting it within 15?

I guess, as they say, "past performance is not indicative of future results", but if I were betting man, I know where my money goes.

And, to their credit, Manziel had a stacked OL to give him time to get the ball near Evans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dev ran about second faster in HS in the 100.  Tyler Owen's ran 10.2 as well. I will grant him the 4.4 speed but stating 11.2 is blazing is stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Demas question - but couldn't he have played non football sports his senior year? like track?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NoName said:

Demas question - but couldn't he have played non football sports his senior year? like track?

No man. He’s UIL suspended. No sports 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Aggie 247 / Jeff Tarpley / 2020 A&M profile: Demas could be impact player as freshman

Some excerpts that the Surl will love (italics/bold mine):

"Demas is listed at 6-foot-3, 182 pounds."

"4.43 forty, had a 41 inch vertical leap, and long jumped 23 feet 8.5 inches."

"In the end, a UIL Executive Committee in Austin ruled in August that he was ineligible to play at Tomball for his senior season."

"Demas has a huge frame which will allow him to get as big as needed."

"He has great top end speed as evidenced by a 11.26 second 100 meter dash in high school" 

You left out the best one, IMO:

"However, he did participate in the The Polynesian Bowl in January.  He had two touchdown receptions, one of which was called back due to a penalty."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fud said:

He's more similar to ODB than those guys 

I can see it

f95482e5402ff9e5a713b8b94e4cf163.500x276

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed on the aggy recruiting page everyone has arrived except Antonio Doyle?  Late graduation or more to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Noticed on the aggy recruiting page everyone has arrived except Antonio Doyle?  Late graduation or more to this?

Perroni insists it's a non issue, and that he should be there soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 10:31 AM, Fud said:

Never said he wasn't. Just saying that he's more raw as a WR coming out of high school, and Jimbo's offense typically requires some polish at the position if you want to see the field

I'd be interesting to know the route tree he ran in HS, because according to most people Jimbo's route concepts are pretty advanced for college WRs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'd be interesting to know the route tree he ran in HS, because according to most people Jimbo's route concepts are pretty advanced for college WRs.

Routes were pretty non-existent his senior year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Routes were pretty non-existent his senior year.

Except for the 2-3 he ran in the AS game, one of which was called back for penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Except for the 2-3 he ran in the AS game, one of which was called back for penalty.

Well if he didn't associate with cheaters you could count that TD, but you can't so go suck his dick in private.

God this balcones is good chit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, futureman said:

demas is going to fucking wreck shit.  y’all are petty idiots. 

I think you are mistaking people not thinking he is an athletic freak that will be a terror with the ball in his hands, with the reality that Mond is his QB, he will only have a couple weeks in their system after not playing team ball for 18 months. He is more likely to get the ball on a hand off than Mond actually delivering a pass to him. I expect his footwork to be off the charts though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, SydneyCarton said:

No man. He’s UIL suspended. No sports 

makes sense, i was thinking it was football only. thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 9:45 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I think you are mistaking people not thinking he is an athletic freak that will be a terror with the ball in his hands, with the reality that Mond is his QB, he will only have a couple weeks in their system after not playing team ball for 18 months. He is more likely to get the ball on a hand off than Mond actually delivering a pass to him. I expect his footwork to be off the charts though.

Jimbo had 2 five star WRs at FSU. 

Ermon Lane and George Campell. Lane's best season he had 267 yards receiving and Campbell's best season he had 122 yards receiving. Nobody is doubting that Demas is a legit talent. The question is if Jimbo will actually maximize his talent and whether Jimbo can recruit a QB that can get him the ball. 

When George Campbell transferred to WV for his SR year he had his best season as a college player. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Jimbo had 2 five star WRs at FSU. 

Ermon Lane and George Campell. Lane's best season he had 267 yards receiving and Campbell's best season he had 122 yards receiving. Nobody is doubting that Demas is a legit talent. The question is if Jimbo will actually maximize his talent and whether Jimbo can recruit a QB that can get him the ball. 

When George Campbell transferred to WV for his SR year he had his best season as a college player. 

 

Interested in seeing if Dylan Wright does anything this season as well. Was high on him coming out of HS and so far, quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

#HaynesKingShouldStarts already warming up. Karen is displeased.

  Hide contents

EZ7WBW1XgAM0MsW?format=jpg&name=360x360EZ7WXKfXkAInHbp?format=jpg&name=360x360EZ7WX2KXsAQN5eY?format=jpg&name=360x360EZ7WX9kXYAUVDF6?format=jpg&name=360x360

 

Oh my... that's beautiful.. poster has to be a troll if someone actually thinks King is a "legitimate passer".  He's very much a Mond 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Oh my... that's beautiful.. poster has to be a troll if someone actually thinks King is a "legitimate passer".  He's very much a Mond 2.0

Mond, King, and Stowers all have shown issues throwing the ball and decision making consistently at the HS level. I don't understand the concept Jimbo's working here on his QB takes. You would think that he would be targeting the top 2-3 pro style QBs in the nation given his "proven success."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Mond, King, and Stowers all have shown issues throwing the ball and decision making consistently at the HS level. I don't understand the concept Jimbo's working here on his QB takes. You would think that he would be targeting the top 2-3 pro style QBs in the nation given his "proven success."

Dont forget Zach "Barely can complete 50% of passes in HS" Calzada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Dont forget Zach "Barely can complete 50% of passes in HS" Calzada.

Yeah but we all know he's never going to be the starter unless there is serious injuries. Which could be the case given the OL recruiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Karen's like a 1yr membership in the Jelly of the Month Club...  

"It's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year!!"

54984986aae3f.image.jpg

 

 

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...