UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

Cross-posting this from the Fire Shaka thread, if you're interested in some candidates off the beaten path.

It doesn't take much research to come up with the names Moser, Underwood, and Beard. Getting those guys to come here is the challenge.

Some actual under the radar names:

The next men up based on stated criteria are probably Craig Smith at Utah State and Brian Dutcher at San Diego State, though neither has won a tournament game yet. Same for Chris Jans at New Mexico State.

Ritchie McKay wasn't special at Oregon State or New Mexico, but he learned under Tony Bennett for 6 years, then moved to Liberty, where he's been dominating the A-Sun, and has won a game in the NCAA tournament (Ben Howland's Mississippi State) despite being the lower seed.

Wes Miller consistently fields competitive teams at UNC-Greensboro but hasn't broken through in March yet. Worth noting that the previous two conference SoCon Champions have had their head coaches hired away by ACC teams - Steve Forbes (ETSU) to Wake, Mike Young (Wofford) to Virginia Tech.

Matt Langel is considered an up-and-comer at Colgate (the team with the abnormally high NET that gave Arkansas a run for their money this year). Won the Patriot League outright one year, and a share of the title the next. His teams are fun to watch, too.

Grant McCasland's name is hot right now because of what he's done at UNT. Won the C-USA last year, upper-middle finish this year (but obviously won the tourney title).

If not for the pandemic, quite a few people thought Russell Turner at UC Irvine would have been hired away. He's won the Big West five times in eight years, made the tournament twice, and beat Bruce Weber's KSU team as a 13 seed a few years back.

John Becker has built a consistent winner at Vermont. Never won a tournament game, but has kept it competitive the two times his team got a decent seed line.

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, they hired Sarkisian, who only built a successful program at one place (Washington). If they don't land one of the top guys (Beard/Musselman/Altman/Underwood), there has to be a compromise.

Mike White only built Oregon. Vic only built MSU Bc he was under 500 at Sam in the 90s. So....

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Mike White only built Oregon. Vic only built MSU Bc he was under 500 at Sam in the 90s. So....

I think CDC would overlook the "multiple stops" part of the criteria if said coach built a championship contender at a power conference school. Sark still doesn't fit that criteria, but he had a wealth of experience at other places to make up for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

2003 Senior Day in Norman is a top 5 all time (regular season) memory for me. 

I remember photoshopping the picture of Ford clapping with a huge smile on his face into that great picture of their sad seniors and a dumbass Sooner posting it on one of their boards to talk about how classless Ford was. 

And it was a terrible photoshop effort. I think I may have done it in Paint with a transparent selection copy and paste. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

Matt Painter is a good coach.

You are correct.  It was an emotional response to my perception that his teams consistently exit the tournament too early.  Painter's Purdue teams are 15-12 in the NCAA tourney, which is not bad.  His Purdue teams have outplayed their seed 3 times and had "early exits" 4 times.  One of the losses was to a #3 as a #2, so it's splitting hairs.

14 minutes ago, Underdog said:

IIRC, took a Cavs miracle to beat them in the EE. 

That is also true.  Purdue was up at half and trailed most of the 2nd half, with Carsen Edwards keeping them in the game.  They were up 3 and missed a FT to go up 4 with 17 seconds left.  Purdue fouled w/ 5 seconds left (right call).  Virginia made the first, intentionally missed the 2nd, got the rebound and a tying bucket with 1 second left.  Virginia won in OT.

In retrospect, I should have left Painter off the list.  It was a foolish emotional response of someone who has followed Purdue hoops since the 80s.  I've viewed Purdue as a chronic underachiever in the tourney.  The data does not support it for Painter.  Keady's #1 seeded teams (88, 94, 96) won 2, 3, and 1 game in the tournament.  That was influencing my comment.  Having Painter on that list was a bad take.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

That is also true.  Purdue was up at half and trailed most of the 2nd half, with Carsen Edwards keeping them in the game.  They were up 3 and missed a FT to go up 4 with 17 seconds left.  Purdue fouled w/ 5 seconds left (right call).  Virginia made the first, intentionally missed the 2nd, got the rebound and a tying bucket with 1 second left.  Virginia won in OT.

In retrospect, I should have left Painter off the list.  It was a foolish emotional response of someone who has followed Purdue hoops since the 80s.  I've viewed Purdue as a chronic underachiever in the tourney.  The data does not support it for Painter.  Keady's #1 seeded teams (88, 94, 96) won 2, 3, and 1 game in the tournament.  That was influencing my comment.  Having Painter on that list was a bad take.

Painter is in my eyes a lesser Barnes; he puts together good teams and makes the tourney most years, but doesn't usually make it as far as you expect. Texas could do worse, but it's not exactly swinging for the fences.

I think Painter's a very good coach, may not be a splashy hire at a UK, UNC, etc... but he'd be a solid hire at UT.  I tend to think someone like him would up his recruiting at places like the fore mentioned schools, thus maybe improving his tournament resume?  

23 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Painter is in my eyes a lesser Barnes; he puts together good teams and makes the tourney most years, but doesn't usually make it as far as you expect. Texas could do worse, but it's not exactly swinging for the fences.

Scott Drew - Satan’s Butthole (2003)

tenor.gif?itemid=18722277

Painter makes $2.9M and that goes a lot further in West Lafayette than in Austin, even when you consider state income tax.  Plus, he's a bit of a legend at Purdue.  So, I do not think he leaves Purdue under just about any circumstances.  Perhaps if someone dangles $6M - and Texas is not going to do that for Painter.

Since 2015, Painter's average recruiting ranking is around 42.  Texas is around 11.  (I dropped the years where Texas (Brown) and Purdue (Carsen Edwards) signed only 1 player and were ranked ~100).  He's definitely done more with less.

@jimmyjazz - yes.  Left off intentionally :)

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

There's a thread on this board about firing Shaka that was started in 2018 and is nearly 190 pages long.

What produced this thread was the same desire to slow down and watch a car accident. I would gather most posting on this thread lost their passion for Texas Basketball along the same time I did.

Here are some Highlights

Houston Cougars vs Texas Highlights (2013 CBI round 1) - YouTube

I guess I was a bit infatuated with the idea of Shaka and half ass paid attention for a year or two. But long gone are the days I locked the schedule into my routine.

Edited by MoJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BERT said:

Believe it when i see it. But damn i hope it's true. 

It's the right move for both parties.

Texas doesn't have to pay $7m to make him go away

Shaka gets a new job, a clean slate where he grew up and no firing black mark on his resume.  

Edited by Js1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Looks like our campaign worked! 

How much of his Marquette salary are we paying?

Edit:  Just checked Dump Truck Tracker, a convoy of 2 dozen, full of pennies, is en route from the Leander Longhorn Mint to Marquette's driveway.

Edited by clapclapclap