Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - All Gas No Brakes

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work closely with a certain previously committed 5 star QB's father (hint: its Quinn Ewers, for those who haven't been following recruiting closely like I have) and chatted with him a bit this after

I find all of the angst about Murphy to be laughable. After Ewers, he's the guy I've been cheering for Texas to land for 3 weeks. Texas has a healthy QB room right now and that isn't going to change.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You seem beaten down by the past decade. Ask yourself this question with no context:

Does it seem unreasonable that Texas could sign a #1 or #2 recruiting class in the country?

No, no it does not. Now the problem is that the context exists, of course. But if (get it?) Texas plays well in the upcoming season and has an exciting offense the context instantly changes.

Also, if I'm misinterpreting your post and you're not being a satyanash then it's still your fault.

This one got me. Well done. 

17 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Wait, what? When did that happen? Has anybody told OU, yet? So Coleman, Stewart, Winfield, Hudson, Brenen is our preferred top 5 at WR ? 

I forgot CJ Williams, too.

So, theoretically we want 4/5 of those 6? That would certainly gruntle me.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Who's going to tell him that the surname Wilson already has plenty of history? Seems like a me thing, but I don't tweet at recruits.

Yeah but he's going to be the Wilson of all Wilsons

Edited by Bevo14
11 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I forgot CJ Williams, too.

So, theoretically we want 4/5 of those 6? That would certainly gruntle me.

Hudson and Williams would be redundant skill-sets, no? So it's one of those, Winfield, Stewart, and hopefully Coleman. If not Coleman, Thompson. If you take 5, then maybe take both Williams and Hudson, but I'd rather have an abundance of sub 11 guys that need receiver skills than an abundance of WR skills that need speed. 

Also, I haven't seen the name in awhile, but I believe Drayton was connected to Kaden Saunders' family. He committed to pedo state last summer, but he's a burner and someone I would hope we've at least reached out to again. Another lackluster season from Franklin could open the doors there if we've not filled up.

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Hudson and Williams would be redundant skill-sets, no? So it's one of those, Winfield, Stewart, and hopefully Coleman. If not Coleman, Thompson. If you take 5, then maybe take both Williams and Hudson, but I'd rather have an abundance of sub 11 guys that need receiver skills than an abundance of WR skills that need speed. 

Hudson and Williams may be a bit redundant but according to Gerry (who's been pretty weirdly down on Williams) it sounds like Hudson is more explosive and a much better YAC guy. 

Marshall should be included in the WR target list as well assuming we aren't conceding him to aggy yet. 

29 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Also, I haven't seen the name in awhile, but I believe Drayton was connected to Kaden Saunders' family. He committed to pedo state last summer, but he's a burner and someone I would hope we've at least reached out to again. Another lackluster season from Franklin could open the doors there if we've not filled up.

Ah. This posted triggered my member-berries so I wanted to remind everyone else that James Franklin was almost the head coach of Texas if Christine Del Conte had her druthers. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2
3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Chatter on the 247 board, and apparently has also been stated by Perroni, is that Jaray Bledsoe may have some work to do/issues in the classroom.

Not to discount anyone, but if we have to lose a player we want the best possible outcome is for them not to qualify. After counting against aTm or OU. 

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not to discount anyone, but if we have to lose a player we want the best possible outcome is for them not to qualify. After counting against aTm or OU. 

Someone else posted that we've dropped off on communication with him lately and that aggy is pushing hard for a commitment.  Could just be another LotusHorn though.

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Someone else posted that we've dropped off on communication with him lately and that aggy is pushing hard for a commitment.  Could just be another LotusHorn though.

That wouldn't be shocking. Davis started following a bunch of 22s:

https://247sports.com/player/bishop-thomas-46111702/

https://247sports.com/player/domonique-orange-46100297/

https://247sports.com/player/quency-wiggins-46109451/

https://247sports.com/player/dejon-roney-46097193/

https://247sports.com/player/kj-miles-46054149/

https://247sports.com/player/justice-finkley-46058853/

https://247sports.com/player/zxavian-harris-46085727/

• Hook 'Em 2
11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That wouldn't be shocking. Davis started following a bunch of 22s:

Really expected to see Texas re-offer and engage with Anthony Lucas but it doesn't look likely. 

https://247sports.com/player/anthony-lucas-46097888/

also, it looks like Davis did start following Jadon Scarlett the Coram Deo kid we talked a little bit about a while back. 

https://247sports.com/player/jadon-scarlett-46101759/

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

That's fuckin good!

That is fuckin good. Like, unbelievably good.

For some context, there's an old study that attempts to approximate the 1 rep max of a player based on reps at 225. It's consistently pegging the max within 10 lbs for ~2/3 participants, but is significantly more accurate for RBs (specifically those between 194-218lbs). Extrapolating a 1 rep max from the top 5 RB performers from the 2020 NFL combine:

Name Ht/Wt Reps ~max
Scottie Phillips  5’8, 209lbs 29 419.29
Sewo Olonilua  6'3, 232lbs 25 392.05
Benny Lemay  5’8, 221lbs 24 385.24
James Robinson  5’9, 219lbs 24 385.24
AJ Dillon 6'0, 247lbs 23 378.43
J.K. Dobbins 5'9, 209lbs 23 378.43
Joshua Kelley  5'11, 212lbs 23 378.43

So, as a Junior in high school, Blue is repping a couple plates under what a top 5 NFL draft guy is maxing at, most likely. Idk how many of these guys also ran sub 11 in hs, but JK Dobbins didn't. Like everyone else, I love Blue's tape. But, if the strength is real and he retains the speed, he could be more special than I have considered. It's going to be interesting to see where they take the weight's of the rb room. We'll know pretty quickly if it was Drayton's brilliant idea to blow Ingram up to 240 or whether he just didn't have the balls to stop it. 

Back in my high school powerlifting days I purposefully classed up to avoid the 198's or 202's or whatever the fuck that division was. You can get grouped with these strapped dudes with short limbs that can push big weight. Freaks. We had a meet in Taylor and one of our guys was in the heavyweights division, squatted like 750ish. Bar bent over his back kind of weight. I was spotting him for warm up with something nominal, but definitely in excess of 600lbs, and this dude from the 198's rolls over asking for next on the rack. We start to rerack when [redacted] was done, but he stops us, puts the weight back on, and reps it without a spotter. But, those mfers weren't running sub 11, unless it was to the shitter after pounding creatine after weigh-in. 

• Hook 'Em 4
21 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

That is fuckin good. Like, unbelievably good.

For some context, there's an old study that attempts to approximate the 1 rep max of a player based on reps at 225. It's consistently pegging the max within 10 lbs for ~2/3 participants, but is significantly more accurate for RBs (specifically those between 194-218lbs). Extrapolating a 1 rep max from the top 5 RB performers from the 2020 NFL combine:

Name Ht/Wt Reps ~max
Scottie Phillips  5’8, 209lbs 29 419.29
Sewo Olonilua  6'3, 232lbs 25 392.05
Benny Lemay  5’8, 221lbs 24 385.24
James Robinson  5’9, 219lbs 24 385.24
AJ Dillon 6'0, 247lbs 23 378.43
J.K. Dobbins 5'9, 209lbs 23 378.43
Joshua Kelley  5'11, 212lbs 23 378.43

So, as a Junior in high school, Blue is repping a couple plates under what a top 5 NFL draft guy is maxing at, most likely. Idk how many of these guys also ran sub 11 in hs, but JK Dobbins didn't. Like everyone else, I love Blue's tape. But, if the strength is real and he retains the speed, he could be more special than I have considered. It's going to be interesting to see where they take the weight's of the rb room. We'll know pretty quickly if it was Drayton's brilliant idea to blow Ingram up to 240 or whether he just didn't have the balls to stop it. 

Back in my high school powerlifting days I purposefully classed up to avoid the 198's or 202's or whatever the fuck that division was. You can get grouped with these strapped dudes with short limbs that can push big weight. Freaks. We had a meet in Taylor and one of our guys was in the heavyweights division, squatted like 750ish. Bar bent over his back kind of weight. I was spotting him for warm up with something nominal, but definitely in excess of 600lbs, and this dude from the 198's rolls over asking for next on the rack. We start to rerack when [redacted] was done, but he stops us, puts the weight back on, and reps it without a spotter. But, those mfers weren't running sub 11, unless it was to the shitter after pounding creatine after weigh-in. 

Also, two of those dudes are linebacker size.

Gerry and IT were hinting today that we've made up some ground with Perkins and we have a chance.

I'm not sure why specifically closetojumping has Perkins as a complete non-starter but I'll trust him making a definitive statement like that over the people hawking subs and assume there is nothing there.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Gerry and IT were hinting today that we've made up some ground with Perkins and we have a chance.

I'm not sure why specifically closetojumping has Perkins as a complete non-starter but I'll trust him making a definitive statement like that over the people hawking subs and assume there is nothing there.

It's us vs the entire SEC. We're going to get fucked from every angle on the negative recruiting side.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's us vs the entire SEC. We're going to get fucked from every angle on the negative recruiting side.

Just pull a Bama, give him $80K and shut it down before it starts.

Nick Harris on Perkins

Spoiler

Wednesday's 247Sports rankings update saw Cy Park 2022 outside linebacker Harold Perkins take another leap towards the top as he continues to separate himself as one of the top players in not only the state of Texas, but in the entire country.

Perkins now sits as the No. 14 overall prospect in the country, according to 247Sports Composite, and the recruiting attention has certainly followed the hype. Big name programs like Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Oregon have all been in on the No. 1 linebacker in the country, but Perkins continues to cast a wide net with his options as he has also been in contact with Notre Dame, Texas, USC, TCU, Oregon, Texas A&M and Arizona.

When it comes to Perkins' stance on Texas, Steve Sarkisian and his staff has made a big impression since arriving in Austin as their efforts have moved the Longhorns into the conversation in this recruitment.

"I’m feeling Texas right now," Perkins said. "Not even just because of the people that’s committed but I’ve been talking to Coach Sark a lot lately. Those conversations have been really good to say the least."

Steve Sarkisian has taken this recruitment upon himself with the assistance of linebackers coach Jeff Choate as their efforts have created an impression on Perkins that has him seeing the Texas football program rounding the curve.

"It might sound funny but they sound like winners," he said. "It’s like he expects to be good. Coming from Alabama I can understand that."

With his options remaining pretty wide open and more schools coming into the mix as time goes on, Perkins is in no rush to decide on a school. In fact, he plans on waiting until after the early signing period to make a decision with an announcement at the Under Armour All-American Game being the most likely option.

At 6-foot-2.5, 200 pounds, Perkins is the No. 14 overall prospect in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 1 linebacker in the country and the No. 4 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1