Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I will get more involved with the school once the current deal to take us public through a SPAC merger materializes. I was ready to sell the business and retire but the space we are in got hot all of a sudden and some investment group wants to give my company $40-50M of which I am the only shareholder. At any rate, you guys carry on. I will check back in a few.

How much of that $40-$50M are you willing to hand me right now? I will drive to West Louisiana after work, and in five hours we'll all be on Twitterdotcom watching Bryce Anderson's commitment video where he throws up the horns at the end.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

"The University" has. Or at least the University signed a deal with Opendorse, which while dogshit is exactly the platform you're describing. It exists. Go ahead. Make an account right now. I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn a bunch of old AF rich donors aren't interested in navigating that shit any more than my mom was interested in learning the intricacies of VCR operation or CTJ is interested in getting a haircut. 

And now you're passively expecting businesses and boosters to go seek these players out, without having any idea of real value, etc. Folks want guidance. 

I checked out Opendorse a couple days ago. There are like 5 current UT fball players on it and no way to contact them through the platform (even though a lot of pro/other athletes have that). And yes, not easy to navigate. Useless as it is now.

That said, I would think something like this could help if done well. Get all the UT players on a standalone site with short bios, social links/stats, and a contact form. Add an NIL rules/process page and FAQs. Whole site could literally be like 5 pages. I think you could get players on board through people with connections or just DMs. Then get the players to tweet it out and raise a few G's to blast it out in the Statesman, ABJ, LHN ads, UT newsletters, etc. Shit, the Surly community could probably make this happen (ok, maybe that's a little optimistic).

Some businesses may need guidance but a lot of them would probably be fine throwing out a number if they just knew how to do it. Obviously a lot already have marketing people on staff who should be familiar with social media, endorsements, etc. Others are just fans and can offer whatever is worth it to them personally. I suspect most people don't even know this marketing option exists, much less how to go about doing it.

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Look at Washington’s combined record the prior 5 seasons. 

They were 0-12 the year before he showed up.  My comment was mainly to indicate that he had been there five years, which is considerably longer than the two indicated in a previous post.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Narrator: It will be 

I'm actually hopeful because I definitely think there's been a shift in the fanbase. Losing will do that. 

Twitter used to be a large group of people arguing "we don't need to cheat or pay players." Texas fans are loud on twitter right now over the NIL stuff and people with power are seeing these reactions. 

I don't think the "We are Texas" bullshit resonates with fans like it once did which was part of the problem. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:28 PM, Hank_Hill said:

After catching up on a weekends worth of posts, I must say this attempt at an aged poorly post aged poorly.

Bryce to A&M. Patton to Baylor. Brown to Texas. Do you usually go 1/3 on "layups"?

The list was weak and those layups turned out to be anything but. Plain and simple.

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

This moron is on the verge of taking the company he founded 7 years ago public. Let me see your resume so we know how smart you are. The fact that you don't get shit should make you pausr before calling anyone moron. 

the fact that you pulled Tennessee and Oregon out as any kind of good example shows you know next to nothing about recruiting. the (long) history you have of posting terrible takes on recruiting in this very thread shows you do not understand recruiting.

i am glad for your success in 7 years and congratulations, truly.

don't go start a recruiting services company in the near future though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The fact that he's not currently working for any college might indicate some people give a shit.

Yeah because our compliance department is retarded and he got an NFL opportunity but yeah let’s just do what we keep doing for the last 10 Years.  IMO it’s hired like that, that we need to see. it will show us we’re ready to get serious instead of lip service  

Was Hughes implicated in the Tennessee stuff?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah because our compliance department is retarded and he got an NFL opportunity but yeah let’s just do what we keep doing for the last 10 Years.  IMO it’s hired like that, that we need to see. it will show us we’re ready to get serious instead of lip service  

Was Hughes implicated in the Tennessee stuff?

We hired Bo Davis didn't we?

re: Opendorse

whoever said that there were only a few current Texas players on there wasn't kidding.

Literally, here is the complete list of current players:

• D'Shawn Jamison
  • Bijan Robinson
  • Josh Thompson
  • Roschon Johnson
  • Hudson Card
  • DeMarvion Overshown
  • Tope Imade

that is it. seven players.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Brandon Harris is a completely different role, we hired Billy Glasscock instead of Drew Hughes

1 minute ago, NoName said:

re: Opendorse

whoever said that there were only a few current Texas players on there wasn't kidding.

Literally, here is the complete list of current players:

• D'Shawn Jamison
  • Bijan Robinson
  • Josh Thompson
  • Roschon Johnson
  • Hudson Card
  • DeMarvion Overshown
  • Tope Imade

that is it. seven players.

Both literal dog shit. Not quite what I was describing earlier either. 

So some of our BMDs were willing to put up the 15 million or whatever to buyout Herman, but not willing to cut a check for 50k to Bijan and D'Shawn so we have a story to tell recruits until the NLI infrastructure is up and running.  Seems like if you care about the success of the program the ROI in terms of recruiting and therefore future success would be huge even if it was just a one time payment to a couple guys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

the fact that you pulled Tennessee and Oregon out as any kind of good example shows you know next to nothing about recruiting. the (long) history you have of posting terrible takes on recruiting in this very thread shows you do not understand recruiting.

i am glad for your success in 7 years and congratulations, truly.

don't go start a recruiting services company in the near future though.

Dude, I don't want to engage in these talks with you, or anyone like you, if you can't be civil. You might think you're smart but you can't prove it. If you're unable to listen to contradicting views from others,  you're not smart in my book; you're just a zealot. Whether it's recruiting, polishing the turd, or whatever, you have to look ahead to what competition you may be facing down the road.  I called our recruiting issues and why Sark might not have been the best hire long before most people did, and I am not going to apologize for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Yesh said:

So some of our BMDs were willing to put up the 15 million or whatever to buyout Herman, but not willing to cut a check for 50k to Bijan and D'Shawn so we have a story to tell recruits until the NLI infrastructure is up and running.  Seems like if you care about the success of the program the ROI in terms of recruiting and therefore future success would be huge even if it was just a one time payment to a couple guys.

The story is we had large donors asking how to get money to players and Texas stonewalled them, likely directed them to the Longhorn Foundation

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The story is we had large donors asking how to get money to players and Texas stonewalled them, likely directed them to the Longhorn Foundation

Yup, the NIL scares our athletic department because donors paying players directly might mean those donors pay less to the department in general. 

The goal of this AD is to continue to be the #1 grossing athletic department, actually winning seems like an aside.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yup, the NIL scares our athletic department because donors paying players directly might mean those donors pay less to the department in general. 

The goal of this AD is to continue to be the #1 grossing athletic department, actually winning seems like an aside.

I think you'll find that bags will need to be dropped-- legally, now, of course-- to field a competitive team.

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I keep seeing these two things presented as if they are not joined at the hip. They are.

Ohio State will pass us in terms of our gross if we don't start winning big.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jordanaggie said:

I think you'll find that bags will need to be dropped-- legally, now, of course-- to field a competitive team.

I know.

Just now, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I keep seeing these two things presented in such a way as to not be joined at the hip.

Ohio State will pass us in terms of our gross if we don't start winning big.

I’d like to think so, but as someone who has the misfortune of being a Dallas Cowboys fan, I can tell you it’s possible for those two things to not be joined at the hip.

Just now, ShowMeALoss said:

Dude, I don't want to engage in these talks with you, or anyone like you, if you can't be civil. You might think you're smart but you can't prove it. If you're unable to listen to contradicting views from others,  you're not smart in my book; you're just a zealot. Whether it's recruiting, polishing the turd, or whatever, you have to look ahead to what competition you may be facing down the road.  I called our recruiting issues and why Sark might not have been the best hire long before most people did, and I am not going to apologize for it.

sorry you took it personal, i get annoyed when you come in here and make really bad points and you have done it a good bit before. this isn't new.

let me go over this specific comment and explain why it isn't a contradicting view, it's one that is uninformed - i will approach this from the standpoint of trying to educate my rationale and where i am coming from.

Of the top of my head, I believe Tennessee and Oregon recruited well under their new head coaches despite not having much recent success and lacking an in-state fertile recruiting base. An elite recruiter can sell the new car smell in their first 2 years. We have a fertile recruiting ground where many top recruits grow up wanting to play for the flagship university. We should be able to close better with our resources. 

Tennessee:

Tennessee hired Pruitt in 2018. Over this 3 years in charge they finished 21st in the country, 13th in the country, and 10th in the country in the composite.

You are correct that Tennessee does not have a fertile recruiting base and to top it off their top recruits, like Arkansas, are always recruited hard by other SEC programs.

That said, one of the reasons they did well at all in recruiting with a new head coach, and lacking that fertile recruiting base has to do with the fact that they were cheating their ass off. They fired Pruitt with cause after finding multiple Level I and II recruiting violations. They were literally giving recruits money in McDonalds bags. Their letter firing him cited SIX fire for cause provisions that he violated and they fired 7 members of the recruiting or support staff plus a number of other on field coaches. As far as I know Pruitt (still) has not sued the University yet.

Oregon:

Oregon hired Mario Cristobal in 2018. That 2018 team finished 13th in the country in recruiting, then 7th, then 11th.

Oregon also does not have a fertile in state recruiting base but recruits well over the last 15? years along the West Coast. They have been involved in a ton of notoriously dirty recruitments and are pretty clearly viewed as a team that is absolutely willing to pay for players and per State of Oregon expenditure records paid him $25k and another guy almost $4k.

Of the schools in the country who are pretty widely accepted to be playing the bag game, they are absolutely the first one that is mentioned on the West Coast.

Along with Georgia - these are three of the top 5? programs that people generally identify as playing the bag game.

An elite recruiter can sell the new car smell in their first 2 years

This is absolutely the case, and in a normal year this would be the case here. BUT add in the long COVID dead period for visits, add in the huge impact that was NLI and you have a situation that is anything but "normal."

We have a fertile recruiting ground where many top recruits grow up wanting to play for the flagship university. We should be able to close better with our resources. 

This is 100% the truth. Texas should close way better than they have.

I am not asking you to apologize for thinking Sark was a bad hire. You do you.

Saying that Oregon and Tennessee did well in similar recruiting situations with new coaches shows a complete lack of understanding at what is happening overall, across the board, with recruiting currently or over the last 5+ years. THAT is what the issue was with this specific comment.

This is also not the first time you have come around here and shown a lack of understanding of what is happening.

Again, my comment had nothing to do with you having a contrarian viewpoint - there are lots of those posted here - it had to do with your knowledge on the subject and the examples you picked out.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You and other people REALLY need to stop saying "Texas spend." Because the problem here is that Texas, the university, can't spend. Boosters spend. Just like in the Bag Game. The problem here is that Texas isn't helping boosters figure out how to connect with and compensate players for the NIL. THAT's a big problem right now. 

This is fundamentally the disconnect.  Maybe Texas wants to maintain plausible deniability, but that would be for the lawyers on the board to argue. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are so many poorly drawn conclusions, bad takes, tedious lamentations, and misinformed accusations on this thread that it's hard to fucking keep up with anything right now. And that doesn't even include the one guy showing up to tell us all that he's about make $50million in a SPAC. Bizarre.

Just fucking stop for a minute. Christ. All of the low energy, low information whining of "won't somebody please do something!!!" as it pertains to NIL, from people not actually doing something, isn't helpful. 

A group of us have been working on a better understanding of NIL and Texas. What is it? What can and can't be done? How does the process work? What's the optimal solution? What can be done now? Etc. We've pulled together resources if someone is serious about learning more and not going to post or pass shit randomly on. This goes beyond the semi-anonymity of a bulletin board.

We've come far enough along that I can at least provide some informed thoughts and some direction. @immamac is going to provide a resource center or marketplace to help out. Here's the net-net ahead of that.

1) There's interest in building something long term that could bring players and money together every year into perpetuity. We've built up damned near a completed business plan on it and it's circulating beyond this board. The big problem is, someone would need to run it. They'd need to have a history of operating a company, experience, preferably, with UT and the AD, and a start-up background/connections. They'd also need to be an extrovert because of the nature of the beast on this one. I can't do it. I'm way out over my skis right now taking on other stuff and this is tipping me into a tumble if I go any further. Got a blueprint for someone who could do it, and likely access to capital, to boot. DM me if you know someone that might be a fit. Otherwise, this sits on the shelf until potentially forever, which is fine, I guess.

2) In the meantime, other shit can be done, leveraging the creative work and research that's already been done and some of it is just waiting there to be taken. Here's the thinking:

A) Agencies are entering the fray. Sports agencies and agents, marketing and ad agencies, you name it. They're more or less necessary. Sports agencies are building marketing arms, and they'll take care of the big names, but less than a sure thing is likely left in the cold. Hudson Card has an agent already. Montana Fouts has an agent. The big names aren't the worry. Anyway, we have access to an agency that anyone here could use. If you want to get money to players in any form, we could do that right now. We have boilerplate influencer/sponsor contracts, teams with digital, event & PR, social media, branding, etc., expertise. Feel free DM me. 

B) The process is as follows: company/entity reaches out to player directly, makes an offer and tenders a contract. Players signs contract. Contract goes through compliance. If approved, player lives up to deal in the contract and the player gets paid. If the nonsense with compliance gets fixed, this is all fine. The premise of the program trying to claim that burnt orange is in scope of what's off-limits is utter fucking bullshit and anyone claiming that up to Plonsky and Crystal Conte should be fucking fired if they attempt to continue to parrot that. Fucking wrong. 

C) Autographs don't have to go through compliance. Anyone can organically provide something for a player to sign and the player can then get paid. This is protected in the state legislation. So, if you take a napkin, or a jersey, or a woman in a tank top up to a player and pay him $1 or $1million to sign the napkin, jersey, or woman's cleavage, you can do it. 

D) There are over 50 use cases we've already worked through. We want to start putting them to use and show the credibility of them in action. We have access to players on every team within the Texas realm. We can reach whoever we need. If folks want to do something, let's discuss. Feel free to DM me.

E) Opendorse is trash and will take 15% of any deal conducted through it. The UT leadership in athletics sending players there to fend for themselves is fucking negligent and someone should be fired for their insouciance. There is nothing there for us or players to leverage. Ignore it as a resource or hope. 

F) A major recruitment right now has some ability to be influenced with NIL at Texas if something gets done. Specifically to the point about it not being an issue for Hudson Card or Bijan Robinson, both of whom will make well into the 6 figures this fall (this is confirmed), it's about other positions. In this case, if DBs at Texas are making bank, that puts the Texas NIL argument for this signing period up against anyone for at least one key target Texas is in danger of losing. 

Other entities are going to do what they can as well. Surly is working on something and mac or @RGBIII can feel free to elaborate. But yeah, pass the word, pass around the hat, whatever, shit can get done asap if people want to put their money where their mouths/keyboards have been up to now. DM me, DM @SydneyCarton, happy to help or point in directions. 

Sydney can post more on types of NIL use cases that anyone here can explore and we should. I'm tired of typing. 

Only person I can think of with extensive finance history is your boy Randy Duke 😂🤣

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

sorry you took it personal, i get annoyed when you come in here and make really bad points and you have done it a good bit before. this isn't new.

let me go over this specific comment and explain why it isn't a contradicting view, it's one that is uninformed - i will approach this from the standpoint of trying to educate my rationale and where i am coming from.

Tennessee:

Tennessee hired Pruitt in 2018. Over this 3 years in charge they finished 21st in the country, 13th in the country, and 10th in the country in the composite.

You are correct that Tennessee does not have a fertile recruiting base and to top it off their top recruits, like Arkansas, are always recruited hard by other SEC programs.

That said, one of the reasons they did well at all in recruiting with a new head coach, and lacking that fertile recruiting base has to do with the fact that they were cheating their ass off. They fired Pruitt with cause after finding multiple Level I and II recruiting violations. They were literally giving recruits money in McDonalds bags. Their letter firing him cited SIX fire for cause provisions that he violated and they fired 7 members of the recruiting or support staff plus a number of other on field coaches. As far as I know Pruitt (still) has not sued the University yet.

Oregon:

Oregon hired Mario Cristobal in 2018. That 2018 team finished 13th in the country in recruiting, then 7th, then 11th.

Oregon also does not have a fertile in state recruiting base but recruits well over the last 15? years along the West Coast. They have been involved in a ton of notoriously dirty recruitments and are pretty clearly viewed as a team that is absolutely willing to pay for players and per State of Oregon expenditure records paid him $25k and another guy almost $4k.

Of the schools in the country who are pretty widely accepted to be playing the bag game, they are absolutely the first one that is mentioned on the West Coast.

Along with Georgia - these are three of the top 5? programs that people generally identify as playing the bag game.

This is absolutely the case, and in a normal year this would be the case here. BUT add in the long COVID dead period for visits, add in the huge impact that was NLI and you have a situation that is anything but "normal."

This is 100% the truth. Texas should close way better than they have.

I am not asking you to apologize for thinking Sark was a bad hire. You do you.

Saying that Oregon and Tennessee did well in similar recruiting situations with new coaches shows a complete lack of understanding at what is happening overall, across the board, with recruiting currently or over the last 5+ years. THAT is what the issue was with this specific comment.

This is also not the first time you have come around here and shown a lack of understanding of what is happening.

Again, my comment had nothing to do with you having a contrarian viewpoint - there are lots of those posted here - it had to do with your knowledge on the subject and the examples you picked out.

Ok, now we can have a discussion. I named TN and OR as two schools that had success with new coaches despite having terrible recent past. There are few others like UNC and Miami who also somewhat fit the bill. The original question wasn't if these schools did it without cheating. I believe everyone cheats to a certain extent. TN and OR had to cheat more than others to compete at an elite level given their dire situations. I don't believe Texas is in that situation so that we have to be like them to have any recruiting success. Our brand lessens the burden of us having to cheat like TN, Ole Miss, etc. We can be on par with the upper half of the SEC who also cheat but perhaps not as blatantly as the lower tier programs.

When I first mentioned our recruiting woes back in April/May, I blamed Covid, which was immediately ridiculed by many. I said, perhaps we lost momentum due to Covid shutting things down and now the staff had to work much harder to gain momentum. People were saying, I was calling the game in the first quarter, blah blah blah. That was not a popular take back then but now it is.

I knew the risk of taking an unpopular view but I called them as I saw them coming down the pike, not as they were the facts at the moment. I called for hiring an elite basketball coach like Cal or Izzo. Everyone thought that was stupid because we were not a bball school and the best we could hope for was some up and coming coach. I didn't think Chris Beard was a possibility given he was given a lifetime contract. Our AD went all in on an elite coach and now we are seeing the rewards.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting