2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

49 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It’s a ways off, but we need to get something Surly together in Houston before the LSU game on Saturday.  

Texas- Kansas hoops tips off at 3pm that day. Nice little lead in. I am sure I will be hammered at Little Woodrows early that day. 

Maybe a Friday night happy hour before the Tennessee game (7:00p) at a nearby watering hole?  And then Saturday, blow it out?  Setup an outdoor screen for tailgating and watch Kansas/Texas hoops game (depending on finding the right lighting/orientation) before the LSU game (7:00p).  Been to many games at MMP but not remotely familiar with any tailgate parking lot options.  Maybe the lighting would suck for a screen, so fuck it---just a bar we can book a section of from 3-6:30p on Saturday?  Now that I type out 3-10pm, we're gonna be fucked up.  Somebody else think this through, I'm already so giddy for hoops and baseball season. . 

I see now that today's FWS game was moved to tomorrow at 3:00p (Thusrsday).  Gonna hit up either that one or Friday if any you surly-ites gonna be around the Disch area and wanna grab a beer.

This may be for another thread on here, but I really am starting to realize/appreciate how much different college baseball can be going forward between the massive overhaul of the First-Year Draft (even at 40 rounds, down from where it was historically) PLUS the NIL rules which should help partial scholarship guys more than any other Men's NCAA sport.  We're obviously shitting the bed with all this in Football right now, but I think we can absolutely be at the vanguard of this in baseball (particularly with forward-thinking guys like Tulo).  /rant

If anybody wants to grab beers on Manor before Friday night FWS.  Or just chug a couple in the parking lot with the outfield crews, I'm in.  Should be a nice evening weather-wise.

11 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

My pops is a USAFA grad, just added that midweek (bleh) series to my vacation calendar.

Ah yes. Colorado Springs. The El Paso of Colorado. (I imagine the Academy is cool - though - never been).

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

No you see, Fort Collins is the Colorado Springs of the El Paso of Colorado's Texas.  

Look at the schedule though!  Fucking-A my fellow diehard UT baseball fans....................To Omaha, WE RIDE! 

Fun double-header there on 2/19 with Texas Tech morning basketball at FEC and then Rice at Disch-Falk right afterward.  

Edited by Lobo

5 hours ago, Rynosauri said:

Has anyone heard from the ticket office on when season ticket renewals are going out? It seems like it keeps getting pushed back further each year.

Last year (2021) was delayed until January due to C word. (and then it was partial and not everyone got them).

For 2020, deadline for ticket renewals was December 4th. I would expect sometime in between those dates for this year's applications and deadline.

• Like 1

Just the battery working out some battery.  

Keep the reports coming if you can.  Planning to get out there tomorrow evening.  

between fall ball/schedule release and Hoops starting for realz on Tuesday, the angst of football is fading like the stars at dawn.

31 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Injured coming into school. Top 10 player in the state in 2020, probably pre injury  

He is a hard throwing righty. There was no gun out there but I would bet he was 87-90.  Left it up a few times and gave up some hits and hard hits outs.  

Lefty Luke Harrison competed well.  He doesn't have the velo of Hansen but he fooled some people.

Eckhardt gave up some runs but his shit is filthy.

In the 7 innings I watched, there were at least 3 hit batters and at least that many errors.

Melendez actually looked comfortable at 3rd.

Faltine looked good as always.  That dude is so smooth.

O'Dowd? looked good at short as well.

Stehly and Daly hit the ball hard.

Gavin Kash and Dylan Campbell had good at bats and made good contact.

This team is going to Omaha.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Walte464 said:

@UTRGV, wow. I can’t wait to watch that in person. I’ve always wanted the basketball team to come down into the small utrgv field house. Not so much that utrgv has a chance, but cool to get a big name school to the valley.

my dad played at pan am. Might be asking you to get me some tickets, if it’s easier for a local to buy them 

On 10/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, Lobo said:
Well, it's settled then...for Houston Shriner's Classic:
FRI 3/4 v. Tennessee-7:00p (CDT)
SAT 3/5 v. LSU-7:00p (CDT)
SUN 3/6 v. UCLA-3:00p (CDT)

Killer B’s!!!

Baseball ️ Beer Booty 200.gif = BOOKED!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BillyGoatHill

protip from 2 years ago if you go to the games at MMP don't even waste your money on what are the Astros Diamond Club seats.  

Yes they are behind the plate and pretty awesome for MLB, but the all you can eat food consisted of hot dogs/pizza/popcorn bullshit and not the same stuff that they roll out for Astros games.  The bar down there also only had 1 bartender working a 7pm Texas/Arkansas game and it took forever to grab a drink if you went inside to do it. 

I sat in them for 2 days and would not buy again.

Now if you got some available for Astros games holla at ya boy 

27 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

C'mon,... more specific 😀.

They seemed to ALWAYS be bad assed when they were Pan Am. 70's ? 80's? later? Just curious as my wife (obligatory no pics)went there and played bassetball (3 yr starter as a walk-on) and ran cross country....

Since you are talking about your fam,   for those that did not see, post that story about you and your Dad going to Clark field.   I can't remember exact details but you met Gus and someone else ?   Cool story.

One of my uncles played some ball at Pan Am in the late 60's/early 70's.  

In addition to that, I've started happy hour before tonight's FWS game.  Any of you surly bastards about East Austin, let's do this! 

45 minutes ago, Lobo said:

One of my uncles played some ball at Pan Am in the late 60's/early 70's.  

In addition to that, I've started happy hour before tonight's FWS game.  Any of you surly bastards about East Austin, let's do this! 

the 71 team made the college world series

Well I know he wasn't on the '71 team because he would never let me hear the end of that...and rightfully so.  

He's passed so I can't ask but I'm thinking based on him being 2-3 years younger than my mother, musta been '66-'70.  

2 hours ago, torre said:

Since you are talking about your fam,   for those that did not see, post that story about you and your Dad going to Clark field.   I can't remember exact details but you met Gus and someone else ?   Cool story.

I believe the post was about "What was your earliest UT game experience?" from maybe the football board?....

I cant find it or have the time to look for it but here is close to what I wrote (plus some) about that and it ties into my Surly handle.

Apologies up front for the looooooong TLDR story. (disclaimer upfront: I am not a graduate. But this helped set the tone for me being a pretty rabid t-shirt fan and a much later and still Texas Baseball season ticket holder)

My brother and I had been to football games before this, but this was my FIRST experience in watching TEXAS BASEBALL. While my dad was ALL about watching UT football in the late 60's and early 70's (after being in school during the drought years of the late 50's), Baseball was KING in our household. I didn't really know all the particulars growing up nor would I dare ask him about it, but my grandfather was a huge Aggie fan but yet sent his first son to UT. Grandad had apparently been a pretty good catcher playing semi-pro in South Texas and upon wanting his son to have a chance at playing pro ball, he asked a former teammate and friend (then a pro scout) about where to send his son (my dad) to play college ball and the better chance at exposure to possibly play pro ball. UT or A&M? His friend of course told him, no doubt UT. Dad and other kids from SA rode the Missouri-Pacific train (granddad was an accountant for MoPac) for $2 (with a brown bag sandwich lunch included) to go to school in Austin.

Dad only was able to make the taxi (practice squad) but he does have a couple of funny stories about Bibb Falk, one ribbing him for hitting a ball to center on top of BillyGoatHIll (over 400' away) off of a starter during a practice scrimmage. Bibb was not known for outwardly praise....."When you going to learn to pull the damn ball?" 😀 Wayne Graham was a teammate and in dads senior year of '57 (if my memory is correct) the team went to Omaha (practice players did not go). Baseball helped him get a degree though and he pushed that for his kids or any others (players that he coached long after my little league days were over). His UT ring is one of his most cherished possessions.

Due to baseball being king, Dad was always teaching my older brother and I the nuances of the game and also being a little league coach for both of us so that interfered with seeing ballgames in the spring at UT. '74 was different though. For some reason, we didn't have games that conflicted with the last regular season meeting between UT and aggy. My brother's and my FIRST TEXAS Baseball game will be a Saturday doubleheader that will decide the SWC Conference Champion with the Horns needing one of two and the aggys needing both after having won on Friday night. These are to be the last "official" games ever played at Clark Field.

Not without a dog fight in the first game, TEXAS WON BOTH.  I think the score was like 4-3 or 2-1 with many balls being hit to the top of the cliffs in center and left, with the fielders not only retrieving the balls from up there, but making major league throws to to the infield and including at least one crazy play at the plate to maintain the lead and win. 

(Before Gus had come to UT (originally hanging up the phone on DKRoyal cuz he thought it was a prank phone call with the offer) he was coach at South San High in SA. My Grandad was a part of the school board then and was part of the process for getting him hired there. They knew Gus and his family well and my dad's second brother played catcher for Gus and should have been on one of his state championship teams but he didn't play his senior year due to wanting to concentrate on his school work for his college after graduation).

So I'm 12 yrs old and TEXAS has just beat their main rival for the SWC Championship and there is to be about a 30 minutes delay between games. Crowd is going nuts! The Texas team is coming off the field and is being mobbed by the SRO crowd (Clark held 1200-1400 I think), everyone is crowding around Gus (his mom and aunt I believe are giving him a big hug at this time). Gus looks up, sees my dad, and says "Hey Tom"......  (How freaking cool is that? The UT head coach knows my Dad by name ??)

TEXAS goes on to win the second game and off to the CWS. They will win it all the following year with Keith Moreland and others. After the second game, Wally Pryor invites the fans onto the field to take pieces of the park (grass/ cliff) for souvenirs as Clark Field will be torn down 😕 to make way for the art /music building. My Dad, brother, and I walked onto the field and out to BillyGoatHill in center and each took a piece of the limestone cliff. My Dad still has his piece of Kelly green limestone sitting on his desk to this day. Note......not until I was much older did I realize that Texas limestone was not the color of Kelly green.😬

(add on....7 years later, I was playing JUCO ball in a Conference that included a couple of baseball powerhouses as opponents. San Jac Gators and Blinn Buccaneers. Like my dad, I was more of a taxi-practice squad guy and remembering catching our bullpen during these series. I do remember one of the guys on the San Jac team that year though was a freshman named Roger Clemons. His coach was my Dad's college teammate, Wayne Graham.)🤘

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 8