2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

FWIW, having been retired in Austin for 2 full seasons now, David Freese is being brought closer in to the program.  Tulo is here for this season, and hopefully beyond.  But I get the impression Pierce may be grooming Freese for something down the road (and Freese's wife wants to stay in Austin).  I think he's just a hang-around guy for this season, but could be brought in as an "analyst" or whatever the NCAA is allowing on these new expanded coaching staffs.  

I know the name David Freese will not resonate well with you Rangers fans on here, but the guy knows the game.  

Anyway, by tomorrow night..we'll be less than 10 weeks from Opening Day.

Fun fact, in the first 19 games of the season...the Longhorns will only play 7 at Disch-Falk Field, 12 will be away/neutral site games.  Haven't seen a start to the year like that before.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Fun fact, in the first 19 games of the season...the Longhorns will only play 7 at Disch-Falk Field, 12 will be away/neutral site games.  Haven't seen a start to the year like that before.  

2006 came pretty close - 3 separate trips out west, to USD, UNLV and Stanford.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Helps the RPI to play road games if formula is still the same.   @Huckleberry may have thoughts.

Don't follow closely,  not sure below is current.

(Note the first conference series is @Tech.   Always nice to start with a home conference series.)

1. Division I winning percentage (25%)
2. Opponent's Division I winning percentage (50%)
3. Opponents' opponents' Division I winning percentage (25%)

The new formula will value each home win as 0.7 and each road victory as 1.3, a change from the customary 1.0 of the past. Conversely, each home loss will be weighted as 1.3, and each road loss will count 0.7 against a team's RPI.

Neutral site games will continue to be weighted the same value of 1.0.

https://www.abca.org/magazine/2013-1-Winter/Ground_Rules_Understanding_the_new_RPI.aspx

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

FWIW, having been retired in Austin for 2 full seasons now, David Freese is being brought closer in to the program.  Tulo is here for this season, and hopefully beyond.  But I get the impression Pierce may be grooming Freese for something down the road (and Freese's wife wants to stay in Austin).  I think he's just a hang-around guy for this season, but could be brought in as an "analyst" or whatever the NCAA is allowing on these new expanded coaching staffs.  

I know the name David Freese will not resonate well with you Rangers fans on here, but the guy knows the game.  

Anyway, by tomorrow night..we'll be less than 10 weeks from Opening Day.

Man, under Gus we would play 20 of our first 15 at home.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/22/2021 at 11:02 AM, Guadaloopy said:

Baseball team is what first drew my interest and made me a Longhorn.  It will always be so. 

Football was first for me way back in HS.  When my older brother went to UT (in the Dark Ages of 1968), the Horns witched to the wishbone and reeled off 30 straight wins.  Local hero Bob McKay was an AA tackle.  But when my brother convinced me to watch a baseball game vs OU with McKay's roommate James Street pitching, I was hooked.  

Not sure which I like best, just love them both.  But for sure, baseball has been better consistently.  I used to wish more people went to the games, but actually I love it just as is.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:59 AM, cochamps said:

Football was first for me way back in HS.  When my older brother went to UT (in the Dark Ages of 1968), the Horns witched to the wishbone and reeled off 30 straight wins.  Local hero Bob McKay was an AA tackle.  But when my brother convinced me to watch a baseball game vs OU with McKay's roommate James Street pitching, I was hooked.  

Not sure which I like best, just love them both.  But for sure, baseball has been better consistently.  I used to wish more people went to the games, but actually I love it just as is.

If you look at it from just an objective winning standpoint, UT is a swimming and diving program first and a baseball program second. I think whatever is third is pretty distant after that. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. 

12 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

If you look at it from just an objective winning standpoint, UT is a swimming and diving program first and a baseball program second. I think whatever is third is pretty distant after that. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. 

Volleyball is more competitive than baseball.  Disappointing as hell, but "sweet sixteen" or better for more than a decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Yes, 100 good years of baseball including 37 CWS in 71 years.  History is there for baseball.

I’d put UT number one as far as all time college baseball programs go. Of course I’m biased and USC’s complete dominance in the 60s and 70s gives them a legit claim for the top spot, but UT has the longevity and staying power,  as well as current state of the program. 

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I’d put UT number one as far as all time college baseball programs go. Of course I’m biased and USC’s complete dominance in the 60s and 70s gives them a legit claim for the top spot, but UT has the longevity and staying power,  as well as current state of the program. 

The CWS started in 1947, so it has been in existence for all, or part, of 9 decades.  Texas is the only program to have appeared in the CWS in each of those 9 decades, with multiple appearances in every one except for the 1940's and 2020's (that one will be rectified this summer)

thanks for posting.  

Minute Maid will have us with #18 UCLA, #34 Tennessee, and #3 LSU.  Hoping some of those games are broadcast on ESPNU or the like.  We gotta get something together for Surly in Houston for the LSU game.  

Conference Home:  #7 Oklahoma State, #13 TCU, (RV) Baylor, and Kansas.  First two on that list should be a raucous affair at the Disch.  

Conference Away:  @ #4 Texas Tech, @ #45 Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Kansas State.  Obviously Lubbock will be extremely difficult, rest of those series are winnable to quite winnable.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

thanks for posting.  

Minute Maid will have us with #18 UCLA, #34 Tennessee, and #3 LSU.  Hoping some of those games are broadcast on ESPNU or the like.  We gotta get something together for Surly in Houston for the LSU game.  

Conference Home:  #7 Oklahoma State, #13 TCU, (RV) Baylor, and Kansas.  First two on that list should be a raucous affair at the Disch.  

Conference Away:  @ #4 Texas Tech, @ #45 Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Kansas State.  Obviously Lubbock will be extremely difficult, rest of those series are winnable to quite winnable.  

Happy hour at Marfreles?

On 12/13/2021 at 12:43 PM, JimmyJames said:

On 12/13/2021 at 12:56 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Volleyball is more competitive than baseball.  Disappointing as hell, but "sweet sixteen" or better for more than a decade.

Men's golf would like a word. 3 team titles - 5* individual titles (Kite and Crenshaw split in '72) - 6 runner-up team finishes. Historically that's ahead of volleyball. (Or as good I guess)

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Men's golf would like a word. 3 team titles - 5* individual titles (Kite and Crenshaw split in '72) - 6 runner-up team finishes. Historically that's ahead of volleyball. (Or as good I guess)

Golf has 3 team titles and 6 runner up finishes since 1927.

Volleyball has only played since 1982 (in NCAA years) - 2 titles and 5 runner up finishes.  They've done almost as much in 55 less years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well 5 of those runner-ups and one of the titles is since '83. Including an individual title (I guess the parallel would be having the best volleyball player in the country - not sure if there's an award for that).

The 2 other team titles are from the early 70s - so not that far removed from volleyball's first 2 titles (I'll give them the '81 pre NCAA title).

Since 1970 they are pretty identically prestigious. So saying "55 less years" is misleading. Virtually all of Texas' biggest golf accomplishments have come since 1971.

I'd also add that Texas golf shut out Okie Lite from a B12 title in 3 straight years in the early aughts and in 5 straight years in the 2010s. 

I don't know which sport is more competitive. I'd assume it's fairly comparable. 

Either way - point being is that they aren't that far behind baseball's success. Although I have to imagine college baseball is more competitive. 

Women's track and field has also historically beat a lot of ass. (In fact - they easily come in 2nd or 3rd ahead of both volleyball and golf).

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well 5 of those runner-ups and one of the titles is since '83. Including an individual title (I guess the parallel would be having the best volleyball player in the country - not sure if there's an award for that).

Sadly, Texas has never won NCAA Player of the Year.  We've had 3 Freshman of the Year (2011, 2007, 1995) 

On 12/13/2021 at 12:56 PM, TwiceHorn said:

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Volleyball has only played since 1982 (in NCAA years) - 2 titles and 5 runner up finishes.  They've done almost as much in 55 less years. 

Volleyball has a very low level of parity.  Baseball is much more difficult to be consistently good at for a extended (multiple decades long) period.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sadly, Texas has never won NCAA Player of the Year.  We've had 3 Freshman of the Year (2011, 2007, 1995) 

True,  but Scott Bryant, Kieschnick (2 time winner) and Jungmann won the Dick Howser Trophy which along with the Golden Spikes Award (no winners) are considered by most to be the most prestigious.

Regardless, and the Howser winners would agree, the only thing that really matters is Omaha.

• Hook 'Em 1

Stevens, Hansen and Melendez are an excellent foundation. So we have:

1B - Melendez (will we miss Zubia's defense?)
2B - Daly
SS - Faltine (expecting some improvement at the plate)
3B - Messinger?
OF - Todd (for his 8th year)
OF - Hodo
OF - Kennedy
C - Ardoin
DH - Kash? Stehly?

SP1 - Hansen
SP2 - Stevens
SP3 - Witt 
Tuesday starter - Eckhardt?
Hansen on Saturdays to give us a righty/left/righty combo?

Closer - Nixon
Set-up - Duplantier, Southard

Anyone else expected to see considerable time on the field to start out the year?  

• Hook 'Em 2

Think Dylan Campbell takes over LF. Messinger/Stehly play it out for 3B. Melendez and Kash at 1B/DH depending on fielding.

Figure Eckhardt starts Tuesdays and Stewart starts in the Witt role. Nixon, Gordon, Duplantier, Johnson, Southard out of the bullpen. Sthele back from surgery could be an interesting wildcard.

On 12/22/2021 at 10:48 AM, zlavydra said:

Stevens, Hansen and Melendez are an excellent foundation. So we have:

1B - Melendez (will we miss Zubia's defense?)
2B - Daly
SS - Faltine (expecting some improvement at the plate)
3B - Messinger?
OF - Todd (for his 8th year)
OF - Hodo
OF - Kennedy
C - Ardoin
DH - Kash? Stehly?

SP1 - Hansen
SP2 - Stevens
SP3 - Witt 
Tuesday starter - Eckhardt?
Hansen on Saturdays to give us a righty/left/righty combo?

Closer - Nixon
Set-up - Duplantier, Southard

Anyone else expected to see considerable time on the field to start out the year?  

Here’s how I see the roster:

C Ardoin

1B Melendez

2B Daly

SS Faltine 

3B Messinger

RF Todd

CF Kennedy

LF Hodo

DH Campbell (will also play the field quite a bit)

Primary Bench: Powell;  IF Stehly, IF O’Dowd, 1B Kash; OF Whitehead

Extras Position Players: Dayton, Wakefield, Constantine, Schuessler, Hoffart

SP Hansen, Witt, Stevens, Stewart, Blair

Primary RP Dixon, Gordon, Sthele, Duplantier, Cobb, Southard, Eckhardt, Morehouse

Extra Pitchers: Lummus, Hutchins, Noah, Arthur, Grossman, Olivares, Wallbridge, O’Banan, Harrison, Johnson, McKinney

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Here’s how I see the roster:

C Ardoin

1B Melendez

2B Daly

SS Faltine 

3B Messinger

RF Todd

CF Kennedy

LF Hodo

DH Campbell (will also play the field quite a bit)

Primary Bench: Powell;  IF Stehly, IF O’Dowd, 1B Kash; OF Whitehead

Extras Position Players: Dayton, Wakefield, Constantine, Schuessler, Hoffart

SP Hansen, Witt, Stevens, Stewart, Blair

Primary RP Dixon, Gordon, Sthele, Duplantier, Cobb, Southard, Eckhardt, Morehouse

Extra Pitchers: Lummus, Hutchins, Noah, Arthur, Grossman, Olivares, Wallbridge, O’Banan, Harrison, Johnson, McKinney

Did they change the rules on roster size?  You have a 43 man roster.

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

Did they change the rules on roster size?  You have a 43 man roster.

One word:  Volume.

Yeah, I think we're still allowed an extra 5 for Covid still.  Not sure about the extras above that though.  Maybe a transfer portal issue?  I dunno, but yeah---43 does seem too high.  We have 43 listed on texassports.com.  I don't wanna sound like a dick, but I think "Bullpen catchers" don't count against your roster thresshold, so long as they don't receive scholarship money---even though they're integral to the success of a pitching staff/team success.  So that leaves just 1 or 2 question marks?  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

One word:  Volume.

Yeah, I think we're still allowed an extra 5 for Covid still.  Not sure about the extras above that though.  Maybe a transfer portal issue?  I dunno, but yeah---43 does seem too high.  We have 43 listed on texassports.com.  I don't wanna sound like a dick, but I think "Bullpen catchers" don't count against your roster thresshold, so long as they don't receive scholarship money---even though they're integral to the success of a pitching staff/team success.  So that leaves just 1 or 2 question marks?  

NIL for bullpen catcher(s)!

Back in December 2020, the NCAA Committee for Legislative Relief extended a blanket waiver for Division I Baseball through the 2022 season that called for a 40-man roster, 32 counters (players on scholarship) and the continued elimination of the 25 percent scholarship minimum. However, the Committee hasn’t set forth the guiding principles for roster management beyond the 2022 campaign, leaving many Division I coaches across the country

https://d1baseball.com/bestd1/abca-ready-to-tackle-roster-management-new-challenges/

Don't have a subscription for the complete article.    Subject is how will the expanded rosters end and the effect.

• Hook 'Em 1