2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

17 minutes ago, Getafix said:

*** Speaking of TCU transfers. Right now, sources I talk to about OL transfer Tyler Guyton seem to like where Oklahoma stands. We will be paying close attention to this one as he gets more and more close to a decision and the fact Oklahoma classes start on Tuesday.

People around Norman seem to love Guyton’s frame and upside. Would be a good addition to Oklahoma’s roster.

TCU shifted him to fullback this year, that’s how highly they thought of him.

16 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Mathis, Sanders, and others.)

Brandon Drumm
Update 11:28 am

Reveal hidden contents

Brandon Drumm
Update 11:28 am

*** Oklahoma has been in contact with TCU EDGE transfer Ochaun Mathis. I don’t expect much to become of it but wanted to pass it along nonetheless.

Mathis is expected to Texas right now. If that changes we will update you all.

*** Speaking of TCU transfers. Right now, sources I talk to about OL transfer Tyler Guyton seem to like where Oklahoma stands. We will be paying close attention to this one as he gets more and more close to a decision and the fact Oklahoma classes start on Tuesday.

People around Norman seem to love Guyton’s frame and upside. Would be a good addition to Oklahoma’s roster.

*** DL transfer Mekhi Wingo is he’s headed to USC for a visit now. I don’t know how that visit will go, but USC is desperate for talent on the DL, according to people I talk with about the Trojans and their 2022 roster.

That said, OU did a great job hosting Wingo. They made sure they showed how he wouid be developed by Coach Bates and what he could become in the Sooners system.

LSU and OU were the two you heard the most about with Wingo the last week or so, but USC and their need for help on DL couid be what changes things here.

This is one that will be interesting to watch down the stretch.

*** Finally, Oklahoma was hosting five-star OL Josh Conerly this weekend. While he is likely still on his official (as we speak at 1040am), what I can add is that OU has been doing all they can to press the fact they need tackles and OL.

I’m told Conerly and Bedenbaugh have connected a ton and that Oklahoma feels like they have done all they can do with Conerly. One source even noted, “It’s obvious that Conerly knows what Bill Bedenbaugh can do for him or he wouldn’t be on the visit (to Oklahoma),” the source noted about the five-star OL. “He will be a guy that takes a while to make a decision, but he’s worth the wait with how talented he is. (OU) has put everything in front of him that they could.”

The way OU and Brent Venables have been recruiting, it seems as if OU will have more than a punchers chance with Conerly. However, the five-star will be waiting until March, I’m told, to take all of his visits.

He is also headed to the Polynesian All American game after the OU visit. Our 247Sports national reporter, Brandon Huffman, should have more from Conerly as his visit ends.

Stay tuned there.

*** Was told this morning that Arkansas is now starting to feel good about their chances with Edge transfer Drew Sanders.

I’m gonna do some more digging on this. Last night, OU was feeling good but like everyone else but wasn’t totally sure.

Note: Arkansas yesterday wasn’t too sure. This morning got a message from someone connected up there and was told that they now are starting feel good about their chances. All I can pass along at this time. Sanders is a hard guy to follow, as I stated from the jump.

Stay tuned.

Surprised Josh not committed anywhere yet -- some articles predict Michigan, USC or Washington...

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Conerly-46057420/

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

TCU shifted him to fullback this year, that’s how highly they thought of him.

OU, and specifically with Bedenbaugh/Schimdt, has a positive history with guys with good feet and despite being light developing into good OT. Plus they need bodies. 

Honestly, from a roster building perspective, OU should be focused on Josh Conerly and this guy this weekend. Sanders would be great because he's obviously talented and getting him would keep him from UT, but OU's got good potential at the edge LB position (Clayton Smith and I think Ugwoegbu will end up there next year).

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

When new coaches like Sark and Riley need QBs in the portal in year 1 or 2, I understand. They inherited QBs who suck or don’t fit their scheme or don’t want to play for someone they didn’t commit to. 

When Kirby Smart goes after a QB after 6 seasons at Jawja, I don’t get how they don’t see it as a red flag that he can’t assess, recruit and develop QBs himself. Kids just want to win, but Fields knew UGA was not going to turn him into a high draft pick. 

It’s Caleb Williams, not some G5 scrub. He would be stupid not to reach out considering he just won a NC with a walkon.

Tea leaves certainly don't look good on Sanders imo. Sounds like IT was already hedging a few pages ago and they love the sunshine pumping.

Oh well. Means we really need to close Mathis. Wonder if we can get him to sign soon even though he won't show up until June (narrator: doubtful).

Edited by Tex-19

Just now, quigley said:

OU, and specifically with Bedenbaugh/Schimdt, has a positive history with guys with good feet and despite being light developing into good OT. Plus they need bodies. 

Honestly, from a roster building perspective, OU should be focused on Josh Conerly and this guy this weekend. Sanders would be great because he's obviously talented and getting him would keep him from UT, but OU's got good potential at the edge LB position (Clayton Smith and I think Ugwoegbu will end up there next year).

I thought Oklahoma had a surprisingly disappointing OL last year. Not sure what the depth chart looks like but Bedenbaugh seems to rely on transfers fairly frequently. Several highly rated high school lineman have completely disappeared once they got on campus.

31 minutes ago, Viper said:

Arky LB coach

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

An Arkansas poster who seems to be treated as an insider is that they're landing Sanders

Fwiw, etc 

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Arkansas mod from 5 minutes ago= "Yeah, same on this end. It's gone back and forth depending on who you talk to, really over the last 24 hours. Can't call it but I'd pick Arkansas as of this moment."

FUCK

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I thought Oklahoma had a surprisingly disappointing OL last year. Not sure what the depth chart looks like but Bedenbaugh seems to rely on transfers fairly frequently. Several highly rated high school lineman have completely disappeared once they got on campus.

It's been covered a bunch here but, briefly:

OU's OL got worse after 2017 and definitely after 2018, roughly coinciding with OU trading Schimdt for Wiley (S&C) and a shift in recruiting from guys who, in high school,  are lighter guys with better feet (Bobby Evans-2015 4-star) to massive guys (Brey Walker-2018 5 star). The assumption has been that there was a disconnect between what Bedenbaugh wanted in recruiting and what Riley wanted.

One thing that's undeniable is that OU's OL has been just plain fat the last couple of years. There's a lot of TBD to learn if there's a "Schimdt effect" on both the strength and conditioning of OL or if Bedenbaugh's just lost his ability to motivate and organize a top OL or whether the counter scheme that the OU run offense is based on had been "figured out."

Parts of all three may be true simultaneously.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Moody is a spare. We just had a group of LB/Edge guys come in last year and not do shit, one of whom was also from Bama. This feels a lot more like that than anything else.

Maybe. Though Ben Davis wasn’t nearly as experienced or as big a part of the rotation as Moody has been (despite spending 5 seasons to Moody’s 4 at Alabama). 

Davis essentially had two RS seasons before seeing light action. Moody was a special teams standout as a true freshman and continued to play a big special teams role and as a member of two-deep during his 4 years. 

Worst case Moody is a good special teams player, depth LB, and likely good culture addition.

Best case is all the above plus an improvement at starting LB, which is very possible.

I don't see any other LBs knocking down the door so why tf not take him? As discussed ad nauseam, we seem to have enough spots to spare especially if we don't get Sanders.

edit: I haven't watched him but sounds like he was first LB backup for Bama so he must be decent. Ben Davis was like 3rd string iirc

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Merry Christmas GIF

Roach, on Moody.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.663672531dcd1e907066e8ae97e0d976.png

Arizona's quietly putting together the best overall class in the Pac12 this year (high school + transfer). SC will likely overtake them by the end of the cycle, but for a Wildcat team that went 1-11 with the only win vs at Covid-ravaged Cal team, this is amazing.

Pac12 good isn't really good mind you (#20 nationally).

• Hook 'Em 1

If you see a potential upgrade in the portal, you should at least try.  

Some things to keep in mind.

Using Darrion Dunn as an example. Younger guys like Barron and Crawford lost practice and game reps in part due to him. Our investment in Dunn had a moderate benefit at best. That was year 1. Subsequent years may be a net negative.

Some of our guys were likely a step slower at times due to the new system. So guys who are “potential” upgrades are starting over too. Whether people like it or not, the guys in the system now, if willing to work hard, will improve so portal guys should be definitive upgrades. Take Morris and Gray at OU. Did OU end up in better shape by bringing on two backups and pushing the future down the depth chart?

And our portal adds for last year? I’m not sure we were any better with them. Culture maybe. I’d also assume if you invest heavily in the portal that if those dudes don’t get significant playing time that becomes known for future guys.

Personally I don’t want a program that is too portal dependent. Our approach to Oline was correct in my opinion. Maybe we got lucky with coaching moves and NIL timing, but it did work out.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Maybe. Though Ben Davis wasn’t nearly as experienced or as big a part of the rotation as Moody has been (despite spending 5 seasons to Moody’s 4 at Alabama). 

Davis essentially had two RS seasons before seeing light action. Moody was a special teams standout as a true freshman and continued to play a big special teams role and as a member of two-deep during his 4 years. 

But Ben Davis was a 5-star and I refuse to hear any other argument.

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Using Darrion Dunn as an example. Younger guys like Barron and Crawford lost practice and game reps in part due to him. Our investment in Dunn had a moderate benefit at best. That was year 1. Subsequent years may be a net negative.

Some of our guys were likely a step slower at times due to the new system. So guys who are “potential” upgrades are starting over too. Whether people like it or not, the guys in the system now, if willing to work hard, will improve so portal guys should be definitive upgrades. Take Morris and Gray at OU. Did OU end up in better shape by bringing on two backups and pushing the future down the depth chart?

And our portal adds for last year? I’m not sure we were any better with them. Culture maybe. I’d also assume if you invest heavily in the portal that if those dudes don’t get significant playing time that becomes known for future guys.

Personally I don’t want a program that is too portal dependent. Our approach to Oline was correct in my opinion. Maybe we got lucky with coaching moves and NIL timing, but it did work out.

That’s on the coaches for playing jags from the portal over young players with potential.  Caleb Williams has potential to become a kyler Murray, hurts, and Mayfield.   They were all transfers too.

54 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Tea leaves certainly don't look good on Sanders imo. Sounds like IT was already hedging a few pages ago and they love the sunshine pumping.

Oh well. Means we really need to close Mathis. Wonder if we can get him to sign soon even though he won't show up until June (narrator: doubtful).

Nahlin said he was more confident on Friday. He's definitely sounding more like he thinks Sanders goes elsewhere as of this morning. 

23 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Definitely true, this isn’t like basketball. . . Where player can be one and done, you can actually still building a program in college football.  You make a good point though, sometimes the less you do  the better 

But live by the sword die by it, because we did get Worthy , Ewers and Jones out of the portal so you don’t want to just abandon it but you have to be careful. 

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Nahlin said he was more confident on Friday. He's definitely sounding more like he thinks Sanders goes elsewhere as of this morning. 

WTF has Nahlin been right about lately as far as recruiting??

Hard to have any confidence in his recruiting predictions right now...

That’s on the coaches for playing jags from the portal over young players with potential.  Caleb Williams has potential to become a kyler Murray, hurts, and Mayfield.   They were all transfers too.

Those examples aren’t apples to apples. Murray and Baker sat out a year. Hurts was a grad transfer. Hurts was pretty much guaranteed to start. That’s pretty much what I’m saying though. Choose the guaranteed starters rather than I hope they are upgrades. The good portal guys expect to start.

Then if you keep bringing guys on and relegate them to 3rd team, then I’d assume much of that would dry up.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Only thing I can think of is Banks. He was confident that Banks would pick UT over Aggy if he were to reopen his recruitment, even when aggy mods were bullish. The Denver Harris recruitment was a really bad look for him though.

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

1. Your "taking reps" idea is colored a lot by hindsight. The main mission going into the season was to win enough games to positively impact recruiting. Looking back, we should have been focused on playing young guys and developing for 2022. Given the mission, the best guys needed to play until a 'plausibly spinnable' season (7-5) was out of reach, which was the loss to Kansas. Also needed to foster a meritocracy, so if Dunn was better to start the year, you play him. Barron became the starter at the end of the year anyway. Pretty sure Crawford was hampered by injury all year. 

2. I agree with portal needing to be definitive upgrades, but only once the roster construction has normalized. Were not in the emergency 'there are literally no EDGE players' situation from last year that necessitated taking 3 JAGs just to fill a room with bodies. But, for positions where depth is still an issue it does make sense to take guys that may not be definitive upgrades, but who will for sure impact the 2-deep. And OU only would have had 1 RB without Gray, so they were definitely in better shape with him. 

I agree with your general portal sentiments, but right now portal is a really effective tool to normalize and upgrade the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

IT definitely has a tendency for overconfidence. Can't remember a time they've been overly pessimistic on anyone. I still like their intel but you definitely have to triangulate with other 9.95ers (ex: no one else said we had such a great shot with Sanders, while everyone else thinks we're getting Mathis).

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Only thing I can think of is Banks. He was confident that Banks would pick UT over Aggy if he were to reopen his recruitment, even when aggy mods were bullish. The Denver Harris recruitment was a really bad look for him though.

Which is funny because Banks was his biggest error the first time around.

The current "sure things" for IT seems to be D Campbell and Billingsley (and I guess Mathis). If any of those doesn't happen, that'd be a new biggest miss.

15 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Those examples aren’t apples to apples. Murray and Baker sat out a year. Hurts was a grad transfer. Hurts was pretty much guaranteed to start. That’s pretty much what I’m saying though. Choose the guaranteed starters rather than I hope they are upgrades. The good portal guys expect to start.

Then if you keep bringing guys on and relegate them to 3rd team, then I’d assume much of that would dry up.

I will take Caleb williams starting  over any QB on UGA roster next year.

I also agree that you need to develop your roster before picking up and playing JAGs from the portal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah the Arky mod changed his OU pick on Sanders to them.

Seems like each team's mods all have the same (low) level of confidence. Nahlin said he "hasn't written [Sanders] off yet." West (Arkansas mod) put in the prediction but admitted he wasn't sure and that he keeps hearing different things. And Drumm's thoughts have already been posted here.

3 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I wonder if the fact that Texas is still playing in the zombie Big 12 for another three years (at least publicly) is hurting us against teams like Arkansas.

There’s no way thats the message to the kids privately. They may not buy it, but they ought to be selling SEC football as soon as possible. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)