2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

3 minutes ago, Constant said:

There’s no way thats the message to the kids privately. They may not buy it, but they ought to be selling SEC football as soon as possible. 

when it was announced there were plenty of assclowns all over surly assuring everyone that 2022 in the SEC was a foregone conclusion. don’t be surprised if we’re still playing iowa state in 2024. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

There’s no way thats the message to the kids privately. They may not buy it, but they ought to be selling SEC football as soon as possible. 

I'm sure that is what Texas and OU are saying, but it has to be a hard sell when Arkansas can just point to statements from the schools and the SEC saying they are joining in 2025 and are happy with that timeframe.

1. Your "taking reps" idea is colored a lot by hindsight. The main mission going into the season was to win enough games to positively impact recruiting. Looking back, we should have been focused on playing young guys and developing for 2022. Given the mission, the best guys needed to play until a 'plausibly spinnable' season (7-5) was out of reach, which was the loss to Kansas. Also needed to foster a meritocracy, so if Dunn was better to start the year, you play him. Barron became the starter at the end of the year anyway. Pretty sure Crawford was hampered by injury all year. 
2. I agree with portal needing to be definitive upgrades, but only once the roster construction has normalized. Were not in the emergency 'there are literally no EDGE players' situation from last year that necessitated taking 3 JAGs just to fill a room with bodies. But, for positions where depth is still an issue it does make sense to take guys that may not be definitive upgrades, but who will for sure impact the 2-deep. And OU only would have had 1 RB without Gray, so they were definitely in better shape with him. 
I agree with your general portal sentiments, but right now portal is a really effective tool to normalize and upgrade the roster. 

Good points. I was looking at it more forward looking giving consideration as to how it impacted us this past year. Also I don’t think it was coincidence that Ovie and Davis came from places with a staff member so they were known quantities to an extent. The more years pass the less they will know about the transfers work ethic or locker room presence.

I wouldn’t say we are fully normalized from a roster standpoint, but there is risk at certain positions of chasing off younger guys with greater upside than the currently more mature guy. And it may be pushing a guy to 3rd team that gets no or limited reps versus the teaser 2nd team reps.

14 minutes ago, futureman said:

when it was announced there were plenty of assclowns all over surly assuring everyone that 2022 in the SEC was a foregone conclusion. don’t be surprised if we’re still playing iowa state in 2024. 

Yep.  Out of all the annoying things I've read on this site, the absolutes when stating TX would be in the SEC in a matter of months, may be the worst.

17 minutes ago, futureman said:

If you had to bet your house right now, wouldn’t that be the safe bet? OU isn’t rushing anything. 

5 minutes ago, RabidM said:

If Banks and Sark can keep him motivated and bought in, he'll do great things. All the tools are there for massive production.  There are some flags here though. 

I’m all for the pickup, you can never have to many great players on your team, I guess I’m just not as enthusiastic as most cause I didn’t think TE was a position of need. . But like you said all the tools are there and he can turn out to be a great pickup 

3 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I’m all for the pickup, you can never have to many great players on your team, I guess I’m just not as enthusiastic as most cause I didn’t think TE was a position of need. . But like you said all the tools are there and he can turn out to be a great pickup 

Our returning TEs have a total of 3 catches for 11 yards.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Billingsley is a matchup problem in the passing game (assuming we get the motivated version).  If we get 2 legit pass catching WR threats along side him, it will be hard to defend. We all want another WR from the portal, but if we just get health from the current roster, I feel it would be adequate. 

Omeire, Whitt, B Thompson. There is talent here. Unproven for the most part, and need health, but the pieces are here. If we simply have adequate O-line play, I believe the offense will be very hard to defend 

Edit: I didn’t mention X above, as he was a given 

Edited by The Deuce

3 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

If you are on the boo-hoo Billingsly train because of the bullshit about him being in Saban's doghouse, etc., go look at how BOB used him versus Sark. Watch his 2020 highlights. He's a witch. There's no one on our team right now, save X, who can run and catch like him. Billingsly is a fucking win. 

Equating expressing concerns about a player with some red flags to a “boo-hoo train” is peak surly. We are obviously hopeful that he plays like he did in 2020 with a different coach but it’s foolish to simply write off 2021 because it bothers you. 

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Worst case Moody is a good special teams player, depth LB, and likely good culture addition.

Best case is all the above plus an improvement at starting LB, which is very possible.

I don't see any other LBs knocking down the door so why tf not take him? As discussed ad nauseam, we seem to have enough spots to spare especially if we don't get Sanders.

edit: I haven't watched him but sounds like he was first LB backup for Bama so he must be decent. Ben Davis was like 3rd string iirc

Is that true? He's had 29 tackles over the last 2 years. 11 tackles for the season in 2021.

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Well what do you know, Nahlin was uninformed and guessing. 

Pretty convinced they just study a player's instagram and twitter and make educated guess based on follows and tweets then claim insider knowledge.  

Also it's pretty obvious that most of these players are entering the portal already knowing where they are going and are just doing the rounds to deter accusations of tampering. 

Edited by GTJ1982

So who are the options to portal in to help the D from a LB and DE perspective.  If the coaches (including Sark) trot the same players out there next year with the same results then they should all be fired.  Guys like Brock are not good enough to play Div 1 and aren’t going to magically get better this offseason.

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So who are the options to portal in to help the D from a LB and DE perspective.  If the coaches (including Sark) trot the same players out there next year with the same results then they should all be fired.  Guys like Brock are not good enough to play Div 1 and aren’t going to magically get better this offseason.

Moody and Mathis. Haven't you been reading?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Holy crap Luke Brockermeyer is not playing next year. It’s tiring to see his name continue to be brought up as some measuring stick to whether we will be improved or not. He will be 9 months removed from a torn ACL when the season opens. Move on. He was one of 15235 issues we had on defense last year.

• Rage+1 1

What we fans should be learning about the portal is if you’re not recruiting a guy who’s in demand into the portal, or maybe have a very strong prior connection to him, your odds of landing the in-demand portal player won’t be great, and you should be measured with your optimism, because you’re completing with a lot of other programs who also are desperate and have a lot to sell 

Unless you’re Bama 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Holy crap Luke Brockermeyer is not playing next year. It’s tiring to see his name continue to be brought up as some measuring stick to whether we will be improved or not. He will be 9 months removed from a torn ACL when the season opens. Move on. He was one of 15235 issues we had on defense last year.

D got 99 problems and a Brock ain’t one 

32 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Billingsley is a matchup problem in the passing game (assuming we get the motivated version).  If we get 2 legit pass catching WR threats along side him, it will be hard to defend. We all want another WR from the portal, but if we just get health from the current roster, I feel it would be adequate. 

Omeire, Whitt, B Thompson. There is talent here. Unproven for the most part, and need health, but the pieces are here. If we simply have adequate O-line play, I believe the offense will be very hard to defend 

Edit: I didn’t mention X above, as he was a given 

This isn’t true. The pieces aren’t there. We have the shittiest WR room I’ve ever seen (outside of X) and it is a fucking disaster. There is no sugar coating it. It’s absurdly bad. There is no happy spin. It’s utter garbage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This isn’t true. The pieces aren’t there. We have the shittiest WR room I’ve ever seen (outside of X) and it is a fucking disaster. There is no sugar coating it. It’s absurdly bad. There is no happy spin. It’s utter garbage. 

But it’s our udder  garbage

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)