2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Just want Sanders. Billingsley is gravy. 

I agree to a point, but when was the last time we actually had a functional H back/hybrid TE? 

The curse of the TE room has been terrifying. I am at a loss to come up with a more snakebit position group.

Maybe OL, but it’s scary how many career changing/ending injuries, high profile busts, eligibility issues and just flat out lack of development has happened at the TE position…

So do I see Sanders as a must get, fuck yeah. Do I think Billingsley is a major need as well. Probably so.

Drumm on Sanders.

👀 👀 👀 👀 

Spoiler

*** Drew Sanders was in Norman Thursday afternoon and Friday. He left yesterday evening for Texas.

I’m told OU feels they are right there and has a decent shot. Arkansas was the team most feel is the Sooners biggest competition, but that’s before the transfer EDGE rusher gets to Austin. That has a chance to change and change quickly. Texas will most certainly be a major player here before it’s all said and done, in my opinion.

Still, the comfortability with OU, and the fact Valai was with him at Bama and is now OU CB coach, has people around Norman cautiously optimistic. That’s along with his prior relationship with Cale Gundy and the OU staff left on campus.

I’m also told he and Coach Venables seem to have gotten along great and meshed well. We will follow this as best we can, but this is going to be a recruitment that will be hard to guess because Sanders plays it so close to the vest.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

It’s going to be enjoyable to watch these guys give all the unnecessary credit and acclaim to Valai as possible right until they turn on him. The “and ace recruiter valai is assisting in the recruitment” and “X recruit says he has his best relationship with valai” comments will be fast and furious for awhile. 

whatre we thinking, the honeymoon lasts 3 years before they figure out their CBs are horrible and he doesn’t really recruit that well?

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s going to be enjoyable to watch these guys give all the unnecessary credit and acclaim to Valai as possible right until they turn on him. The “and ace recruiter valai is assisting in the recruitment” and “X recruit says he has his best relationship with valai” comments will be fast and furious for awhile. 

whatre we thinking, the honeymoon lasts 3 years before they figure out their CBs are horrible and he doesn’t really recruit that well?

That dude is giving way too much credit to Valai’s sorry ass

29 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Drumm on Sanders.

👀 👀 👀 👀 

Reveal hidden contents

*** Drew Sanders was in Norman Thursday afternoon and Friday. He left yesterday evening for Texas.

I’m told OU feels they are right there and has a decent shot. Arkansas was the team most feel is the Sooners biggest competition, but that’s before the transfer EDGE rusher gets to Austin. That has a chance to change and change quickly. Texas will most certainly be a major player here before it’s all said and done, in my opinion.

Still, the comfortability with OU, and the fact Valai was with him at Bama and is now OU CB coach, has people around Norman cautiously optimistic. That’s along with his prior relationship with Cale Gundy and the OU staff left on campus.

I’m also told he and Coach Venables seem to have gotten along great and meshed well. We will follow this as best we can, but this is going to be a recruitment that will be hard to guess because Sanders plays it so close to the vest.

crying-oklahoma-band-member-sports-cryin

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Tell that to the staff. That visit was a waste of time

Of course a staff tries..they always think they can win out and they need that confidence in recruiting. But from the outside, it was always clear that Mario wanted to play with Caleb, and there was no way that dude would ever come to Texas. It was obvious and I've said as much in this thread. 

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Tell that to the staff. That visit was a waste of time

It was worth a shot. No harm in trying, I'd be more pissed if they didn't at least try.

But yeah, looks like no WRs until post-spring portal wave. At least Billingsley would help.

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

No need for wrs really. We have worthy. He will be split end.  Then we roll out 3 tight ends in the wish bone and run the 4 headed monster. Robinson squared Johnson and brooks. No passing game needed really. 

It's called the GoGo, duh

14 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Of course a staff tries..they always think they can win out and they need that confidence in recruiting. But from the outside, it was always clear that Mario wanted to play with Caleb, and there was no way that dude would ever come to Texas. It was obvious and I've said as much in this thread. 

So you want recognition? An award?

Okay -

Good For You GIF by Olivia Rodrigo

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Damn.

He'd made it known that he wanted to take visits because he didn't get to go through the wooing process out of high school.

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, unless they're negative recruiting you (hi Kary Vincent) you take the swing.

But this of course. If there's a non-zero chance that he'd come, you role the dice.

OU's basically doing the same thing with Dart and Trigg right now. They need another QB and TE, so why not take a swing?

Maybe they'll hate Mississippi. Wouldn't be the first time.

15 minutes ago, quigley said:

He'd made it known that he wanted to take visits because he didn't get to go through the wooing process out of high school.

But this of course. If there's a non-zero chance that he'd come, you role the dice.

OU's basically doing the same thing with Dart and Trigg right now. They need another QB and TE, so why not take a swing?

Maybe they'll hate Mississippi. Wouldn't be the first time.

Is the sentiment that OU is a longshot for Dart? Always seemed like an odd one just bc of Gabriel but seems like real interest

28 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

It was obvious and I've said as much in this thread. 

Congratulations? Everyone already knew that, the staff are the only ones who put any energy into him, that’s why I said tell them.

27 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It was worth a shot. No harm in trying, I'd be more pissed if they didn't at least try.

But yeah, looks like no WRs until post-spring portal wave. At least Billingsley would help.

It doesn’t hurt, I agree, but it was still a waste of time. I’m more aggravated about how they didn’t even get a visit from Neyor. WR is the most abundant position in the portal, I did not think we would go into the spring without an addition there.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Is the sentiment that OU is a longshot for Dart? Always seemed like an odd one just bc of Gabriel but seems like real interest

I'm surprised Dart is even visiting. Trigg is more likely because there's going to be playing time and balls to catch. I wouldn't be surprised if Dart tagged along already knowing that he'll end up somewhere else.

48 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

No need for wrs really. We have worthy. He will be split end.  Then we roll out 3 tight ends in the wish bone and run the 4 headed monster. Robinson squared Johnson and brooks. No passing game needed really. 

24 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Sup Jimbo

That's like irony standing between parallel mirrors.

spacer.png

Spoiler
Alabama transfer Drew Sanders arrived last night and was shown around by former Denton Ryan teammate Ja'Tavion Sanders. Sanders, a freshman tight end, was a year behind Drew Sanders in high school. The visit is said to be going well and there is a decent amount of confidence Texas can pull this big addition off.

Opinion: Arkansas doesn't make as much sense as Texas from a defensive fit standpoint, and despite being a long-time OU commit while in high school, the new staff in Norman is new to him. On the flip side, as recently as a year ago Sanders won the National Championship with three of UT's current coaches. Sure, they were on different sides of the ball but there's a real level of familiarity that should benefit Steve Sarkisian.

Sanders is set to conclude his visit later this afternoon. A decision could come as early as Sunday.

Speaking of Sanders' teammates, his teammate at Alabama, Jahleel Billingsley, may be his teammate again soon if both select UT. Billingsley, a budding star at tight end during Sarkisian's final year in Tuscaloosa, is on campus currently. While this recruitment might not be entirely across the finish line, UT appears to have any competition lapped. You'd be hard-pressed to come up with a school UT is competing with.

This Billingsley visit appears headed for an extended stay.

Latavious Brini started 11 of National Champion Georgia's 15 games at STAR/nickel this past season. He was leap-frogged late in the year, but he's still a very solid, experienced player. How experienced? He was in the Jake Fromm / D'Andrew Swift 2017 Georgia class. Though one of the lowest rated players in that No 3 class, he stuck to the plan and rewarded himself with a lifetime of memories as a bona-fide starter on one of the best defenses we've seen in CFB this century.

He entered the transfer portal on Thursday as a graduate and UT is pursuing. IT isn't sure of UT's standing or who the competition is, but he's seen as a starter somewhere in UT's secondary. He had 8 PBU's this year at nickel. By comparison, Anthony Cook had only 3, but he had 20 more tackles. Different roles, imo. Either Brini could play nickel and Cook could move to safety, or vice versa. At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, Brini has much more size than Cook.

This is a new development and we're still trying to learn as much as we can.

IT new transfer notes.

• Hook 'Em 8

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)