2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

In other portal news, Jaxson Dart and Trigg are visiting Ole Miss now after their OU visit.

Still don't understand why Dart would go to OU with Gabriel there, but seems like it's down to those two

West coast/Utah insiders think it’s Ole Miss vs BYU for Dart, while everyone else seems to think it’s OU vs Ole Miss 

24 minutes ago, quigley said:

I'm surprised Dart is even visiting. Trigg is more likely because there's going to be playing time and balls to catch. I wouldn't be surprised if Dart tagged along already knowing that he'll end up somewhere else.

I’ve suspected that Dart has been a BYU lock but is just taking visits to have fun. It’s interesting that BYU isn’t really being mentioned outside of USC and BYU mods 

8 minutes ago, Constant said:

I think it’s OU vs. Ole Miss. BYU didn’t get a visit. I think Ole Miss wins out. 

He’s very familiar with BYU already and has talked to their coaches quite a bit. Plus, he could enroll there in march and still be there for spring ball 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Didn’t necessarily think Williams or Addison were coming, but it would have helped explain wtf we are doing at WR. Just baffling that we can’t get anyone at that position.

Even worse is Nahlin has been saying we pulled our interest in Neyor because of Mario Williams entering the portal.

• Rage+1 3

I mean, we still have Quinn Ewers, so this off-season is already a win.  We still have a long ways to go, but we have gotten some nice players to give a little room for trust in the process. 

We can be stubborn on the vision, but flexible on the details.

Edited by T3SL4
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, T3SL4 said:

I mean, we still have Quinn Ewers, so this off-season is already a win.  We still have a long ways to go, but we have gotten some nice players to give a little room for trust in the process. 

Ewers, Watts, Billingsley, and Mathis (if that happens) would be a very good portal haul. These won't be the last options to come available either.

That's not to diminish D Sanders. He'd be a huge get, likely behind only Ewers imo (maybe Mathis).

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

My read on Neyor is we decided we could land someone who approximated the same amount of impact, if not more, for much fewer bags 

my read is this staff doesn't know how to read actual interest and ability to land

what are we up to now? approaching a dozen that the staff/sources have felt "confident" about?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Constant said:

I think it’s OU vs. Ole Miss. BYU didn’t get a visit. I think Ole Miss wins out. 

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

He’s very familiar with BYU already and has talked to their coaches quite a bit. Plus, he could enroll there in march and still be there for spring ball 

Ole Miss makes the most sense career-wise. Wouldn't be shocked if BYU is in stealthy contention like Fud said. OU would make sense if not for Gabriel. And if he's ok with sitting a year, I'd think UCLA (his original #2) would be in contention. But you never know.

I haven't watched Dart but I'm actually a little curious why he's so hyped. His numbers are solid for a freshman but honestly not that special (7.2 ypa, 9/5 TD/INT). For comparison Caleb is 9.1 ypa and 21/4.

Ole Miss has been crushing it in the portal btw. I have a feeling they are bagging it up there (evidence: Zach Evans)

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

My read on Neyor is we decided we could land someone who approximated the same amount of impact, if not more, for much fewer bags 

Neyor still visited Ole Miss this weekend btw. Seems like we're out but his recruitment may have some more twists and turns to it. 

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Ole Miss makes the most sense career-wise. Wouldn't be shocked if BYU is in stealthy contention like Fud said. OU would make sense if not for Gabriel. And if he's ok with sitting a year, I'd think UCLA (his original #2) would be in contention. But you never know.

I haven't watched Dart but I'm actually a little curious why he's so hyped. His numbers are solid for a freshman but honestly not that special (7.2 ypa, 9/5 TD/INT). For comparison Caleb is 9.1 ypa and 21/4.

Ole Miss has been crushing it in the portal btw. I have a feeling they are bagging it up there (evidence: Zach Evans)

I know Drumm floated that he could redshirt this year at OU, but I think that’s an absurd notion. He’s a potential Heisman candidate in the right spot 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I know Drumm floated that he could redshirt this year at OU, but I think that’s an absurd notion. He’s a potential Heisman candidate in the right spot 

Redshirt seems kind of meaningless for someone like this. His mind is probably looking NFL asap.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m not worried about WR. A good one will make his way to Austin. It may not be until after the spring but it will happen. Some of the most productive portal WR’s a year ago were guys who portal’d after the spring.

Agree. Portal is loaded with WRs. Much more concerned about Billingsley, Sanders, and Mathis. Miss there and there are not going to be replacements available that are even close 

The inability to close on a WR, both in high school kids and now in the portal, is really really frustrating. 
Sark coached a Heimann winning WR and a frosh AA in back to back years. We now have a highly respected QB. Apparently X made big money last year as a freshman. 
I’m sure we will get someone and not roll with the collection of scrubs and spares (minus X) but damn, it’s really a pain to watch at this point in time. 

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

my read is this staff doesn't know how to read actual interest and ability to land

what are we up to now? approaching a dozen that the staff/sources have felt "confident" about?

If you believe 100% of 3rd hand information you get on the internet, sure.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The inability to close on a WR, both in high school kids and now in the portal, is really really frustrating. 
Sark coached a Heimann winning WR and a frosh AA in back to back years. We now have a highly respected QB. Apparently X made big money last year as a freshman. 
I’m sure we will get someone and not roll with the collection of scrubs and spares (minus X) but damn, it’s really a pain to watch at this point in time. 

Coleman left like, two weeks ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Coleman left like, two weeks ago. 

Sure. And he was undoubtedly a huge part of the pure and unadulterated nonsense I was talking about, but with all the positive shit we can sell a WR it’s hard for me to fathom just how incredibly awful he must have been to not stumblebummfuck his way into something, even if it was just an accident. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Neyor still visited Ole Miss this weekend btw. Seems like we're out but his recruitment may have some more twists and turns to it. 

I would love nothing more than to see Kiffin steal a transfer commit from Tennessee just before classes start. He may not survive another trip to Knoxville if that happens

Maybe it's a byproduct of how conspicuous their role on the field is, but great WRs often seem to be a different breed of cat. Might not be more than with other position groups, but the nature of today's offenses makes it easy for a top WR to view himself as at worst the team's second-most-important guy. So no matter how much success he's had on the field, in transferring he's looking to rack up even bigger numbers, not dial it back. 

In our case, we obviously already have that top dog. It's highly doubtful, barring Injury, that X won't continue to be the QB's top target. And so, with every failed portal recruitment of a WR, I wonder more and more if it's just a case of these guys realizing that and having too much ego to knowingly become betas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Constant said:

He is most specifically calling out Latrell who bitched about playing time under Grinch/Manning. It is funny to see, for sure. Lincoln is going to build a very good paper tiger. 

Pretty sure he’s talking about Mario Williams because he said joining them at USC. You are right though, Latrell and his dad hated Manning/Grinch but he won’t be joining them in LA.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)