2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

41 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

I agree.  I wouldn't bring him in either.  If he wasn't committed there then he won't flourish here.  I was just calling out the idiocy that he was in Saban's doghouse because he wasn't vaccinated. 

What is idiotic about Saban possibly having issues with someone putting his teammates at risk of having to sit out of games? I don’t know Saban personally but that seems like something he would take seriously despite whatever his vaccination opinions are.

Edited by Hank_Hill

Alabama WR Javon Baker enters NCAA transfer portal

Rising junior wide receiver Javon Baker announced via Twitter that he will be transferring.

Baker, through two seasons, reeled in nine receptions for 116 yards and a single touchdown.

The Georgia native wide receiver was a four-star recruit in the 2020 class. He chose Alabama over other high-profile programs that extended offers, such as Auburn, Florida, Ohio State and others.

11 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

What is idiotic about Saban possibly having issues with someone putting his teammates at risk of having to sit out of games? I don’t know Saban personally but that seems like something he would take seriously despite whatever his vaccination opinions are.

Watch the videos linked below. It is 100% about effort and mindset in practice which translates to the game.  I guarantee you that Saban would be irritated with Billingsley even if Covid-19 never existed. It is amazing how some of you are so obsessed with this virus that you can't look past it and see the issue for what it really is.  Billingsley was lazy in practice which translated to games and that pissed off Saban. 

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Watch the videos linked below. It is 100% about effort and mindset in practice which translates to the game.  I guarantee you that Saban would be irritated with Billingsley even if Covid-19 never existed. It is amazing how some of you are so obsessed with this virus that you can't look past it and see the issue for what it really is.  Billingsley was lazy in practice which translated to games and that pissed off Saban. 

Both seem like reasonable reasons, and therefore one is not more “idiotic” than the other.  Its likely additive. Nobody here is obsessing over the virus, it’s just a real factor in college football coaching now. Thinking otherwise is idiotic. You seem triggered.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Both seem like reasonable reasons, and therefore one is not more “idiotic” than the other.  Its likely additive. Nobody here is obsessing over the virus, it’s just a real factor in college football coaching now. Thinking otherwise is idiotic.

The most important ability is availability.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Exactly. Odds are that Nick Saban doesn't give a single solitary personal shit about someone's vaccine status but Billingsley pissed him off because it affected the team. If the NCAA is going to have a rule that you have to be constantly tested if you're unvaccinated but not if you're vaccinated then it helps the team to be vaccinated. That's all there is to it.

1 hour ago, Creasy Bear said:

I agree.  I wouldn't bring him in either.  If he wasn't committed there then he won't flourish here.  I was just calling out the idiocy that he was in Saban's doghouse because he wasn't vaccinated. 

Nick Saban sounds like he cares.

"College football fans and players both want full stadiums this fall," he said in the video. "Let's make sure we can safely make this happen by getting vaccinated. Please get your COVID-19 vaccine. We want Bryant-Denny Stadium loud again this coming season. Roll Tide!"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10003174-alabama-hc-nick-saban-encourages-fans-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-in-psa-video

@texifornia@Hank_Hill are right.

In addition to the NC State example, Andrew Raym (OU's center) was out for several games because he wasn't vaxxed and in protocol limbo. The vax stuff matters because it's divisive in locker rooms too. What Michigan did, where everyone got their 3rd shot together is the way to go.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, quigley said:

Nick Saban sounds like he cares.

"College football fans and players both want full stadiums this fall," he said in the video. "Let's make sure we can safely make this happen by getting vaccinated. Please get your COVID-19 vaccine. We want Bryant-Denny Stadium loud again this coming season. Roll Tide!"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10003174-alabama-hc-nick-saban-encourages-fans-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-in-psa-video

@texifornia@Hank_Hill are right.

In addition to the NC State example, Andrew Raym (OU's center) was out for several games because he wasn't vaxxed and in protocol limbo. The vax stuff matters because it's divisive in locker rooms too. What Michigan did, where everyone got their 3rd shot together is the way to go.

Right on. The vaccination in this case isn't a political hill to die on, it's just another data point that being a team player isn't Billingsley's strong suit.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Here is a fun topic for everyone this morning, but I woke up and chose violence

Who was worse at Texas. Herb Hand or Andre Coleman?

the real answer is Charlie Williams, who I totally and completely forgot was a coach.

Hand just blew it with evals and recruiting. He at least was able to connect to players and recruits

Coleman was a bad hire in the first place, then should have been processed and wasn't. This led to Texas having the current shittastic WR recruiting class and missing on the following WRs:

• #2 overall player in Texas (stewart) to A&M
  • #11 player (marshall) to A&M
  • #22 player (hudson) TO TCU!
  • #31 (winfield) TO BAYLOR!
  • #35 (golden) TO HOUSTON!
  • #38 (anderson) to OU
  • #46 (noah thomas?) to A&M

Phazion Wilson ended up outside the composite State-wide 50 at #56 lol

he also missed on CJ Williams, Caleb Burton (eh, ish), and a bunch of other randos.

----

I am fascinated to see what happens with Red, who is actually coming in as a RB right?

image.thumb.png.b6cde93d74a38b8090dd27963e52ce72.png

2 hours ago, Shonen said:

You scratched out Dajon Harrison - when did he depart the program?  Last I heard he is still on the roster, but maybe I missed an announcement.

this may be my bad. i think he quoted my roster update.

i thought he went in the portal but looks like i am wrong - he played 1 game in 2021 (OU) which is weird in and of itself?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Constant said:
I like 300lb DTs

Do you think this takes OU out of the Mekhi Wingo sweepstakes or affects their 2022 DT recruiting?

DaShaun White is also coming back so another solid player, at least, coming back on defense.

Do you have any insight on the silence regarding OU and portal WR?

Edited by quigley

1 minute ago, quigley said:

Do you think this takes OU out of the Mekhi Wingo sweepstakes or affects their 2022 DT recruiting?

DaShaun White is also coming back, so another solid, at least, coming back on defense.

Do you have any insight on the silence regarding OU and portal WR?

I think Wingo is still in the mix. We need more bodies so they’ll take his commitment for sure. 

The only WR I know they were after was the Lacy kid and he committed to LSU.

Offers and visits are going like crazy so they may not be done with portal WR. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

that is a fucking weird photo

I'd hate to see the choices that didnt make the cut.

"I don't know...... this one where he's tonguing your balls gives the wrong impression. Lets roll with the one where he's mounting you from behind"

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, NoName said:

the real answer is Charlie Williams, who I totally and completely forgot was a coach.

Hand just blew it with evals and recruiting. He at least was able to connect to players and recruits

Coleman was a bad hire in the first place, then should have been processed and wasn't. This led to Texas having the current shittastic WR recruiting class and missing on the following WRs:

• #38 (anderson) to OU

he also missed on CJ Williams, Caleb Burton (eh, ish), and a bunch of other randos.

----

I am fascinated to see what happens with Red, who is actually coming in as a RB right?

Red was recruited as a WR.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Constant said:

I think Wingo is still in the mix. We need more bodies so they’ll take his commitment for sure. 

The only WR I know they were after was the Lacy kid and he committed to LSU.

Offers and visits are going like crazy so they may not be done with portal WR. 

The Sooners can't be done with WR. They only have 3 WR who've done anything coming back (Mims-hopefully, Wease-from injury, Stoops) and 9 total including 2 freshman. Bama's going to be short on returning WR too so pulling a good one's going to be tough.

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

• #38 (anderson) to OU

----

No. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Creasy Bear said:

I don't understand your urge/need to say it's 100% this and not that. It could be both. It could be neither. It could be that Saban is wrong, that he said something that got taken the wrong way, that Billingsly's got something going on in his personal life that Saban knows nothing about. I once threw an entire semester's worth of grades down the drain over a young lady. It happens when you're 20.   Saban could have a thousand different reasons for saying whatever he says.  You don't know, so quit saying that you do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Assorted musings from Nahlin

Spoiler

This isn’t necessarily regarding the known targets we’re all awaiting information. We don’t have anything new on Mario Williams or Drew Sanders. We’ll feel strong about UT landing Ochaun Mathis. Hopefully we’ll have some fun background stuff to write if things play out in UT’s favor.

We have Texas at 30 scholarships taken with 6 spots remaining. Yes, we’re that confident on Devon Campbell siding with Texas on NSD2. There’s still the chance New Orleans defensive back Ronald “Champ” Lewis will sign with Texas. However, where as he was hindered by high school recruiting momentum at NSD1, he could suffer the same fate regarding portal recruiting ahead of NSD2.

Texas is still recruiting two high schoolers for sure (there could be more we’re unaware of). Those two are STAR Harold Perkins (Cy Park) and S Jacoby Mathews (way down yonder on the Ponchatoula). We don’t have much faith in either selecting UT but the staff has a better attitude than we do and will recruit each through the whistle. The key takeaway is, those two are taking up space for now. That’s a good thing because if they don’t sign with UT on February 2nd, those are two spots that can be used for the spring portal season. You always want to have an allocation or two lying around.

Needs remaining are LB, EDGE, WR, S, and TE. We know we’ve said they won’t take another O-lineman out of the portal, however the spring OL depth chart is quite sobering prompting their math to change, if not during the current enrollment period then by the next one. That’s where the two potential placeholder scholarships unused by Perkins and Mathews could come in real handy.

Assuming Texas lands neither Perkins or Mathews, that leaves 6 spots. These are not ranked by need as my list changes depending on what game I’ve most recently thought of.

In an ideal world:

1. WR Mario Williams
2. EDGE Ochaun Mathis
3. EDGE Drew Sanders
4. TE Jahleel Billingsley
5. S
6. ILB or OL

We don’t live in an ideal world and UT won’t land all four of the listed names. At least I don’t think. File that under things that are too good to be true. Individually they have a solid to very solid chance for each but collectively the percentages drop. Damned probabilities.

Info on Billingsley has been very quiet since he entered the portal but I’m assuming he ends up a Longhorn. It just makes too much sense. Though he’s inconsistent, he does add some much needed experience to the TE roster. The best part is, he needs Texas and if he plays up to his ability 2022 turns into a contract season for him. It’s a similar story to Mathis — his talent is evident and UT is a great schematic fit.

Losing safety Devonii Reed to South Carolina was a bad beat. Texas will remain in the market for one making it another position they may address after the spring. It’s getting late, but they are still actively scouting options during this window. They need a sure tackler in the back end and right now they don’t have that, other than maybe Anthony Cook and he plays with more physical intent than actual ball-stopping physicality. Nickel to boundary safety isn’t a move I’m buying, but I’m currently debating with @IanBoyd and he thinks Cook can do it.

At ILB we do wonder about Jaylen Moody from Alabama. We haven’t heard much on this but using deductive reasoning he would make sense. He’s played defense sparingly, though he’s known to provide a physical presence when he’s out there. Where it gets interesting, he did play a lot of special teams for Jeff Banks so a pre-existing relationship exists.

Another ILB who might be worth a look is ULL’s Lorenzo McCaskill. He was the main thumper in ULL’s 4-2-5 defense. It was logical to assume he’d follow Billy Napier to Florida but IT hears Napier is taking a pass.

Due to relationships and familiarity, my guess is if UT went for either linebacker, Moody would be more likely.

image.thumb.png.40579f883318c2d69870aaca01d500fb.png

Edited by Big Woodrows
  • Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Assorted musings from Nahlin

Reveal hidden contents

This isn’t necessarily regarding the known targets we’re all awaiting information. We don’t have anything new on Mario Williams or Drew Sanders. We’ll feel strong about UT landing Ochaun Mathis. Hopefully we’ll have some fun background stuff to write if things play out in UT’s favor.

We have Texas at 30 scholarships taken with 6 spots remaining. Yes, we’re that confident on Devon Campbell siding with Texas on NSD2. There’s still the chance New Orleans defensive back Ronald “Champ” Lewis will sign with Texas. However, where as he was hindered by high school recruiting momentum at NSD1, he could suffer the same fate regarding portal recruiting ahead of NSD2.

Texas is still recruiting two high schoolers for sure (there could be more we’re unaware of). Those two are STAR Harold Perkins (Cy Park) and S Jacoby Mathews (way down yonder on the Ponchatoula). We don’t have much faith in either selecting UT but the staff has a better attitude than we do and will recruit each through the whistle. The key takeaway is, those two are taking up space for now. That’s a good thing because if they don’t sign with UT on February 2nd, those are two spots that can be used for the spring portal season. You always want to have an allocation or two lying around.

Needs remaining are LB, EDGE, WR, S, and TE. We know we’ve said they won’t take another O-lineman out of the portal, however the spring OL depth chart is quite sobering prompting their math to change, if not during the current enrollment period then by the next one. That’s where the two potential placeholder scholarships unused by Perkins and Mathews could come in real handy.

Assuming Texas lands neither Perkins or Mathews, that leaves 6 spots. These are not ranked by need as my list changes depending on what game I’ve most recently thought of.

In an ideal world:

1. WR Mario Williams
2. EDGE Ochaun Mathis
3. EDGE Drew Sanders
4. TE Jahleel Billingsley
5. S
6. ILB or OL

We don’t live in an ideal world and UT won’t land all four of the listed names. At least I don’t think. File that under things that are too good to be true. Individually they have a solid to very solid chance for each but collectively the percentages drop. Damned probabilities.

Info on Billingsley has been very quiet since he entered the portal but I’m assuming he ends up a Longhorn. It just makes too much sense. Though he’s inconsistent, he does add some much needed experience to the TE roster. The best part is, he needs Texas and if he plays up to his ability 2022 turns into a contract season for him. It’s a similar story to Mathis — his talent is evident and UT is a great schematic fit.

Losing safety Devonii Reed to South Carolina was a bad beat. Texas will remain in the market for one making it another position they may address after the spring. It’s getting late, but they are still actively scouting options during this window. They need a sure tackler in the back end and right now they don’t have that, other than maybe Anthony Cook and he plays with more physical intent than actual ball-stopping physicality. Nickel to boundary safety isn’t a move I’m buying, but I’m currently debating with @IanBoyd and he thinks Cook can do it.

At ILB we do wonder about Jaylen Moody from Alabama. We haven’t heard much on this but using deductive reasoning he would make sense. He’s played defense sparingly, though he’s known to provide a physical presence when he’s out there. Where it gets interesting, he did play a lot of special teams for Jeff Banks so a pre-existing relationship exists.

Another ILB who might be worth a look is ULL’s Lorenzo McCaskill. He was the main thumper in ULL’s 4-2-5 defense. It was logical to assume he’d follow Billy Napier to Florida but IT hears Napier is taking a pass.

Due to relationships and familiarity, my guess is if UT went for either linebacker, Moody would be more likely.

image.thumb.png.40579f883318c2d69870aaca01d500fb.png

A little fan fic in the comments

Spoiler

If we landed Mathis and Sanders, Nahlin projects this camp depth chart:

Jack: Mathis
NT: Coburn with Murphy playing starter’s snaps / Sweat would play a lot too
3T: Moro with Collins playing starter’s snaps (Collins should really win that job and Moro should move to Jack)
Buck: Sanders

Mike: Jaylan Ford
Will: DeMarvion Overshown

Nickel: Jahdae Barron

Boundary safety: Anthony Cook
Field safety: Jerrin Thompson

Boundary corner: Ryan Watts
Field Corner: D’Shawn Jamison

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

A little fan fic in the comments

Hide contents

If we landed Mathis and Sanders, Nahlin projects this camp depth chart:

Jack: Mathis
NT: Coburn with Murphy playing starter’s snaps / Sweat would play a lot too
3T: Moro with Collins playing starter’s snaps (Collins should really win that job and Moro should move to Jack)
Buck: Sanders

Mike: Jaylan Ford
Will: DeMarvion Overshown

Nickel: Jahdae Barron

Boundary safety: Anthony Cook
Field safety: Jerrin Thompson

Boundary corner: Ryan Watts
Field Corner: D’Shawn Jamison

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

with all due respect I have no respect for that starting secondary. . . 

Barron, Cook and that’s it. . . Every other Position should be open 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)