2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Are we assuming Champ will end up somewhere else?

Possibly a grey shirt for Champ...

Grey shirting is a recruiting term that is not as commonly used as the term redshirting. A grey shirt is an incoming college freshman who postpones his enrollment in classes until the second term of his freshman year. This means they don’t take classes until the winter term. The NCAA allows college athletes five years to complete four years of eligibility after initial enrollment.

When a grayshirt puts off his enrollment, he’s extending his eligibility past his senior year for another term. Grayshirting is most commonly used in football. By delaying enrollment until the winter after his senior year of high school, a football player can play the fall season one year after his graduation date.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Possibly a grey shirt for Champ...

Or a Blue, which allows for a fall enrollment to practice, but not play and count towards '23 cycle.  Allowable if "not-recruited" which surprisingly only means no in-home visit was used by coaches and no official visit was made by player to the school - both of which apply in Champ's case if I am not mistaken.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Shonen said:

Or a Blue, which allows for a fall enrollment to practice, but not play and count towards '23 cycle.  Allowable if "not-recruited" which surprisingly only means no in-home visit was used by coaches and no official visit was made by player to the school - both of which apply in Champ's case if I am not mistaken.

Thanks!!

A decent article covering differences below -- did not know an "early enrollee" was called greenshirting 😋

"What are the differences between redshirting, grayshirting, blueshirting and greenshirting in college football? "

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/1/28/10842688/ncaa-football-grayshirt-blueshirt-redshirt-rules

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - The Numbers, My God, The Numbers
24 minutes ago, Shonen said:

247 has him taking an OV to Texas Sept. 25, weekend of the Tech game. 

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The Texas system is working hard to raise the quality and profile of degrees from UTSA and UTA. They're moving up pretty steadily but they wont be competing with the cache of a state named institution any time soon. 

...cachet?

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

I didn't get anything like a perfect score on the SATs and went to high school in New Jersey like 15 years ago, and Alabama still sent me a scholarship offer in the mail that included a free laptop, textbooks, and living expenses. A couple kids at my high school actually took them up on the offer - it was a great deal, especially for smart kids from more disadvantaged backgrounds.

Got something similar from blOU, as I recall.

1 hour ago, AP101S said:

Champ is expected to be a blue shirt, so he could enroll in the Fall, practice, not play, and count against the 2023 class.

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think we'd do a gray or a blue shirt with Champ. I'm guessing we'd have him walk-on for a year, then go on scholarship

If he's a blue shirt, then he practices in 2022 but doesn't count until 2023. If he walks-on then goes on scholarship in 2023, he also won't count until 2023. So, he might as well take the scholarship for 2022 since it doesn't change the numbers. No need to pay your way for a year.

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

I got those too. I didn't know Rennselaer, Boston U, and Occidental were good schools. I have a cousin who went to Boston U, otherwise I didn't know anything about those schools at the time and I still don't.

Smaller private colleges tend to get boosts in national rankings because of their larger faculty-student ratios. Doesn't really apply to Boston as much, obviously

Edited by satyanash

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Kobie McKinzie was impressed with OU's current valuation of $18.73+ 3 buttons, some pocket lint, and a box of unused meth pipes. Also, another $675 for the recently re-built Sooner Schooner. The ponies belong to a carnival, so they don't count.

You forget their collection of skunk and beaver pelts.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Smaller private colleges tend to get boosts in national rankings because of their larger faculty-student ratios. Doesn't really apply to Boston as much, obviously

Really? Their priorities are all fucked up. I'd drop a class if it had less than 30 students. Don't want the professor to notice when you skip class.

3 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

It's very possible that I am wrong. This is a confusing process. As of September, there were new provisions written regarding the portal that may not have been applicable to the weird Covid year. Hamilton and Burton have been saying all month that the limit is 7. Its at the 27 minute mark of this video. Let's not call people dumbasses for listening to guys who cover recruiting professionally. It seems that even they are confused.

The +7 affordance to initial counter cap is to help counter losses due to portal attrition, it is NOT a cap on the number of transfers a team can take.

This one time adjustment is meant to give teams the flexibility to replace on 1:1 basis up to 7 players lost to portal attrition and thereby supplement the annual 25 scholarship limit of initial counters which itself has long been squishy because teams were able to back count to prior classes if the max 25 were not used in prior cycle.

Texas had at least 1 unused initial counter from the '21 cycle, + their 25 annual initial counters + 7 compensatory counters for players lost to the portal (note: we had way more than 7 exit the program via portal) which is where the 33 initial number came from.

Then to add to this, there may be options to grey or blueshirt some of the HS signers to defer their counts to the '23 class. 

Totally speculation on my part, but the Austin Regents' K might want to greyshirt if Dicker opts to return to use his COVID year.  Champ Lewis may be a possible blueshirt candidate since he to my knowledge did not officially visit Texas and did not have an in home visit from the staff, so could enroll in the fall and practice with the team and be put on scholarship and have it count towards '23 class so long as he doesn't play in any games next fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

This is an embarrassing question considering how much time I waste on this board, but do transfers count in class size limits? Or can you just take as many as you want, add as many "class of 22" players as is allowed, as long as you stay under the 85? 

So what you are asking is should we be worried about the numbers?

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I swore I'd never hire LSU grads again after dealing with one idiotic disaster after another years ago. A couple got hired in the past few years without me realizing it because I wasn't part of the hiring process outside of approving the positions. They each turned out to be excellent, and also, smoking hot. So, for me, even LSU has a smidgeon of promise beyond the borders of that shithole state.

Yeah, LSU has been one of those schools for me where what I arrogantly and intrinsically believe if given a speed lightning response test (dumb dumbs) is not what has played out throughout my career.  Some of the most successful people I deal with are Tigers and very sharp.  

Now, I only deal with those that moved back to Texas so maybe we get the best of the litter.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm patiently waiting for the "all district honorable mention, Texas Lutheran offered me a partial scholarship crowd" to weigh in here. 

Get it straight BILL!  I wasn't even honorable mention and it wasn't a scholarship.  I was offered federal student aid in the form of grants and yes it was Occidental.  

49 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

This is an embarrassing question considering how much time I waste on this board, but do transfers count in class size limits? Or can you just take as many as you want, add as many "class of 22" players as is allowed, as long as you stay under the 85? 

“But we don’t want the Irish”….

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)