2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm sure you'll pat yourself on the back for being the hard-nosed cynic who just about can't post an argument without some pathetically insecure description of the person he addresses as a sniveling weakling. 

As often happens, your insult is inapt; I express nothing near the opinion your closing paragraph so brilliantly destroys. It's almost as devastating as our first engagement long ago when you accused me of being (gadzooks!) a reader of the New Yorker of all things. Imagine my acute shame at the truth that I read such an effeminizing periodical! 

spacer.png

I also subscribe to Atlantic.

Will my shame and suffering ever cease?

One might suspect you are projecting if you continue to deride the imagined emotional tenderness of others. Be kind to yourself, CTJ.

Bizarre post. In any event, I don't think there's much "effeminizing" about reading The New Yorker, just pompous. As to The Atlantic, it's devolved into hard left trash. I read articles from both regularly, in any event. 

You're a blind optimist who enjoys being the sunshiney devil's advocate for this board. You're doing us a service. I just think the pining for poor Hudson Card's next best chance is unbecoming, if predictable.

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sucks for the parents visiting. Houston to Arkansas is a very shitty/long drive. 

I flew into Bentonville for the Arkansas game from Houston directly. It was cheap and quick and the drive to the campus was less than 30 minutes.

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, that's a pretty fucking compelling pitch. I'd have to look hard at it as a parent if money was any sort of object at all. 

As a hiring manager, it won't be as easy to dismiss kids from these schools with decent seeming degrees if they interview well. On the other hand, I've seen zero evidence that LSU is doing anything to attract money or intellectually average people to go there, so the world isn't changing entirely on us...

I swore I'd never hire LSU grads again after dealing with one idiotic disaster after another years ago. A couple got hired in the past few years without me realizing it because I wasn't part of the hiring process outside of approving the positions. They each turned out to be excellent, and also, smoking hot. So, for me, even LSU has a smidgeon of promise beyond the borders of that shithole state.

2 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

What the fuck? Are non student athletes allowed to enter the transfer portal? Why the fuck are y'all discussing this shit at length in this fucking thread? Man this board is becoming fucking trash because of you fucking lames that can't fucking stay on topic.

Well add some valuable on-topic content for everyone to chew on, then.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Apologies for interrupting this discussion with football talk but Marion just posted a video from Disch-Falk on his Instagram, so presumably one can conclude that Williams is visiting with the baseball team this morning.

how good is he in regards to baseball?

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He needs to move inside. He’s 300 LBs. He shouldn’t be at edge/OLB full time. His best pass rush and TFL moves are beating guards with quickness on inside moves. He’s too slow turning the corner at edge. 

31 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That would suck because he has so much potential, but I can’t say it would be a shock based on how the past year has gone. 

It's bad enough that we couldn't get much out of Owens and not a whole lot out of DMO, but if Collins left, that would be terribly disappointing. 

Do you think Patterson could be particularly helpful in this general area - finding position fits for good, raw athletes, and getting the most out of them?  (And helping them fulfill their potential?)

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Apologies for interrupting this discussion with football talk but Marion just posted a video from Disch-Falk on his Instagram, so presumably one can conclude that Williams is visiting with the baseball team this morning.

I feel like Williams has been on campus all week lol. That's probably a good sign. Hopefully Quinn has been involved somehow.

Just now, closetohumping said:

SIAP

No description available.

In this instance, numbers are actually important. A school can only take 7 transfers this year, so with potientially Quinn, Mathis, Watts, Sanders, and Williams we'd only have two spots left. if you take a guy like Billingsley, then we are down to only one and we still need an inside LB. What if another big name wants to join after spring ball? Billingsly might not be a take at this point. Things are getting tight.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

19 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The problem in Texas is infighting between the systems. Damn near everyone agrees that Texas needs more top-tier public universities. But no one can agree on which ones those should be. It's not as simple as the UT system saying "ok we're going to pump up UTD, UTA, and UTSA", because you have aggy, Tech, UH, etc all pitching a fit and trying to throw a wrench in the works. It also takes a lot of commitment, patience, and especially money devoted to higher education. No CR, but those aren't really top priorities for the state government.

I think one of the biggest factors in why all these kids from Texas suburbs go to SEC diploma mills is because they offer much more of a traditional college "experience" than most of the in-state schools. And yes, sports is definitely a part of that. The UT system schools and UH are fine academically if you're comparing them to fucking Ole Miss, but they're commuter schools. Tech offers a traditional college experience, but it's roughly the same distance from Houston as Fayetteville and Oxford, MS.

Driving distance the same but Lubbock is probably an easier flight from Houston.  Arizona schools are a pretty easy flight too.

The hard part about the SEC schools is they aren't mostly near big airports.  Tuscaloosa is a loooong drive.

We will be going down this path in a couple of years.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Schools can take as many transfers as they want. Again, the numbers don’t fucking matter and if you’re doing to discuss them, have a fucking clue when you do so. 

Are you sure about that ctj? I thought I read a couple months ago that the maximum number of transfers a school can accept is 7.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

… On the other hand, I've seen zero evidence that LSU is doing anything to attract money or intellectually average people to go there, so the world isn't changing entirely on us...

A Longhorn friend of mine’s kid is a freshman at LSU this year and he assures me that LSU doesn’t suck ass anymore. It was quite the heated exchange in our text group. The Ivy grade in the group basically kept silent and those whose kids are going to lesser schools couldn’t shut up about how good the SEC schools were these days  🙄

A few were emphatic in their praise for a&m. I continued that it is a shitty degree mill with an acceptance rate of 110% of the applicants. 😎

28 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

no one looks at New Mexico or Oklahoma/OK state that much. 

I know tons of people from the DFW area who have kids at OU, or that have graduated from OU. It makes some of the parents nauseous, because they’re Longhorns (though not all of them), but there is a major pipeline that flows along I-35 up to Norman, OK.

Don’t forget that Dallas Jesuit kid singing the racist fraternity song (SAE) in that viral video from a couple of years ago. Pride of Dallas!

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

…I flew into Bentonville for the Arkansas game from Houston directly. It was cheap and quick and the drive to the campus was less than 30 minutes.

I swore I'd never hire LSU grads again after dealing with one idiotic disaster after another years ago. A couple got hired in the past few years without me realizing it because I wasn't part of the hiring process outside of approving the positions. They each turned out to be excellent, and also, smoking hot. So, for me, even LSU has a smidgeon of promise beyond the borders of that shithole state.

1) Didn’t understand why anyone would think that parents would drive up to Fayetteville from Houston for parents’ weekend. That was an option that I hadn’t considered, especially since the invention of the jet airplane. 

2) I will accept the LSU praise if it’s for coeds. 🥰

Edited by Napoleon

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Schools can take as many transfers as they want. Again, the numbers don’t fucking matter and if you’re doing to discuss them, have a fucking clue when you do so. 

Spoiler

Under the recommendation, schools can sign 25 new players while gaining additional signee spots for each player who transfers out of their program—up to a limit of seven, sources tell Sports Illustrated. The transferring player must have left academically eligible. For instance, a school that loses five players to the portal can sign 30 new players. A school that loses 10 players to the portal can sign 32 new signees.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/23/ncaa-football-signing-class-limits-transfers-nil

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Are you sure about that ctj? I thought I read a couple months ago that the maximum number of transfers a school can accept is 7.

Schools can take at least 32 transfers this year, plus additional transfers if they have counters left over from previous classes. So yes, they can take more than 7. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Glad I was a "smart kid." I enjoyed getting a daily mailbox full of recruiting flyers from Brown, Rennselaer, Boston U, and Occidental. I can't imagine getting junk mail from Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Texas A&M.

One of these is not like the other -- and I don't give a flying fuck about academic rankings. One of these three is on both of my kids' "absolutely fucking not" lists in addition to Baylor (and presumably, Penn State). I'll let you guess which one. I'd rather my kids go to Oklahoma.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A shit ton of Katy ISD kids have been going to Arkansas as well. I don't really have an explanation for it. 

As a Katy ISD product from about ten years ago - if you go to the higher performing ones (Seven Lakes, Cinco Ranch etc...) the classes are large and really competitive. I had an A average and a pretty good ACT/SAT score, played sports and did some other shit and I wasn't even in the top 10%. And at the time of my graduating UT had already dropped from top 10% to I think 8%. I had to transfer into Texas after a year. 

As much as I love Texas and being a Longhorn was my only dream in life. Looking back taking some money from Arky, or some other university. Probably would have been smart. Still would't change a thing though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Under the recommendation, schools can sign 25 new players while gaining additional signee spots for each player who transfers out of their program—up to a limit of seven, sources tell Sports Illustrated. The transferring player must have left academically eligible. For instance, a school that loses five players to the portal can sign 30 new players. A school that loses 10 players to the portal can sign 32 new signees.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/23/ncaa-football-signing-class-limits-transfers-nil

Thank you. That is what I thought I remembered reading.

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Arky give a % of in state tuition to TX grads starting @ 3.2GPA.  Get a 3.6 from a TXHS and you're looking at $11,250 for 30hrs, compared to $24,500 straight OOS.

Can't even count the number of friend's kids at UA right now.  

Was just about to come here and post that many of these kids may be getting OOS tuition straight up waived to go to Arkansas.  When I applied back in 2004 they certainly waived all of mine.

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Whoa!

From the Texas State 247 commit list ... noticed this:

image.thumb.png.f72c8cb4b073ad9063aa5cd5951541ec.png

And then the ones above and below ... that's quite a sequence of last names.

image.thumb.png.c0b37788df1919fc08d39e3ddeb74f99.png

Don't we have a number of guys floating around in the portal? Come and get em, Spav!

33 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

SIAP

No description available.

See the source image

Edited by Bevo14

The numbers thing is confusing to me. I've read 7 and IT said that on their recent video, but I've also seen that it's different for this year bc of covid. Idk what's true. And then of course there's always some massaging that can happen.

Florida State currently has 9 transfers committed in this class though, so that seems like good evidence that 7 is wrong.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's very possible that I am wrong. This is a confusing process. As of September, there were new provisions written regarding the portal that may not have been applicable to the weird Covid year. Hamilton and Burton have been saying all month that the limit is 7. Its at the 27 minute mark of this video. Let's not call people dumbasses for listening to guys who cover recruiting professionally. It seems that even they are confused.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The numbers thing is confusing to me. I've read 7 and IT said that on their recent video, but I've also seen that it's different for this year bc of covid. Idk what's true. And then of course there's always some massaging that can happen.

Florida State currently has 9 transfers committed in this class though, so that seems like good evidence that 7 is wrong.

The "seven" number is a one time additional up-to seven spots made available on a one-in-one-out basis of outgoing transfers. They can be used in the same fashion the usual 25 counters are used; "new scholarships", meaning signees or incoming scholarship transfers. So, assuming no room from previous classes, you can take 32 transfers and no signees, or 32 signees or no transfers, for this class. 

They'll likely change this one time rule to permanent annual rule, but they haven't done that yet. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Seven is the total cap available ABOVE the normal 25 cap. It's even in the language from the SI post above ::

schools can sign 25 new players while gaining additional signee spots for each player who transfers out of their program—up to a limit of seven

that's a limit of 32 players. the seven cap is reached by having 7 or more players transfer out (like Oklahoma). This is why CTJ made several posts about OUs numbers for next season. they will be nowhere near the 85 limit because they have had mass attrition above and beyond the 7 player cap in the past 2-3 seasons. 

the 32 can be reached via HS kids, JUCO, or transfers in any way. 

27 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

We need a recruiting FAQ pinned to the top of the board. If any dumbass asks a question referenced in the FAQ, they are permabanned.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Let's not call people dumbasses for listening to guys who cover recruiting professionally. It seems that even they are confused.

TBF if you spend any significant amount of time on this website, I consider you a dumbass (self included), but I've always said my favorite people are intelligent idiots, which is Surly in a nutshell.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)