Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Another reason why Herman needs to go.. Him hiring Jay Valai, a total newbie, as the CBs coach was a total whiff.  Now we have dumpster fire FSU coming in and plucking an elite CB right under Tom's nose.  Unacceptable. ------SATAYA

Not gonna lie. You had me going till the end. 

• Like 1

Phone calls are gonna beat up!!! 🔥🔥🔥

NCAA lifts restrictions on calls for recruits during dead period

ByBUD ELLIOTT 76 minutes ago

https://247sports.com/Article/ncaa-dead-period-phone-calls--147082763/

The NCAA Division I Committee for Legislative Relief passed a blanket waiver of relief on Monday concerning telephone or internet calls for 2021 football recruits at the FBS and FCS level during the ongoing dead period. Previously, schools could only call prospects a limited number of times between April 15 and May 31. Now they have unlimited calling.

The text of the waiver reads as follows.

Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) and NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) institutions may initiate telephone calls at their discretion to any individual (or the individual's family members) beginning April 15 of the individual's junior year of high school through the conclusion of the COVID-19 recruiting dead period.

This waiver permits an institutional coaching staff member to make telephone calls to prospective student- athletes (e.g., high school, two-year and four-year transfer student-athletes) at their discretion rom May 2020, through the conclusion of the COVID-19 recruiting dead period.

In granting this request, the NCAA Division I Committee for Legislative Relief Administrative Committee noted:

1) This is a one-time waiver request, applicable during the COVID-19 recruiting dead period; 2) The COVID-19 pandemic, specifically noting official and unofficial visits are not permissible during the COVID-19 recruiting dead period; 3) An institution may not make telephone calls to an individual prior to April 15 of their junior year of high school; and 4) The blanket waiver was reviewed and supported by the NCAA Division I Football Oversight Committee.

It will be interesting to monitor the impact of the increased communication with recruits. The class of 2021 has already seen twice as many commitments in early May as any former class in the Early Signing Period era. Logic could follow that more calls speeds up the fostering of relationships, leading to even more prospects electing to make a decision and secure their spot, even if it means doing so without having ever visited the school's campus.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Speaking of Valai, I haven't followed recruiting that closely over the last few months, but our activity with DBs seems pretty quiet. Is the theory that Valai might be a sign of us getting dirtier with recruiting moot at this point? 

Our activity with DBs is pretty good. Solid shot at a DFW sweep of Harmon, Ibraheem, Bowman and Coffey (who's on commit watch).

Lost out on Nwokobia (Samples crushing it in DFW) and might on Mukuba (Clemson).

Don't know if it's dirty per se (though Ish hasn't exactly radiated "clean recruitment" at times), but he's doing his job.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Another reason why Herman needs to go.. Him hiring Jay Valai, a total newbie, as the CBs coach was a total whiff.  Now we have dumpster fire FSU coming in and plucking an elite CB right under Tom's nose.  Unacceptable. ------SATAYA

What are you talking about? I'm completely calm.

hi8arku9e0y41.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trythisathome said:

Speaking of Valai, I haven't followed recruiting that closely over the last few months, but our activity with DBs seems pretty quiet. Is the theory that Valai might be a sign of us getting dirtier with recruiting moot at this point? 

we have never and will never pay recruits.  our school speaks for itself.  we’re texas. 

• Haha 1

Mike at night

It sounds like Texas is making some progress out west with Pasadena (Calif.) Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson. Chris Ash has been pushing for Johnson hard, and I was told by a source out west he's receptive. USC holds a commitment from Johnson's teammate Calen Bullock, but there's a feeling Johnson wants to get out of California. I checked around today and it sounds like Oregon, Texas and Colorado are the schools with the most buzz for the four-star prospect. Texas hosted Johnson for a virtual visit this week, and the Longhorns are pushing. They are going to need to get him to campus once restrictions lift, but this is an out of state name to keep an eye on.

—I've also heard some positive chatter around Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany defensive back Jaylin Smith. Like Johnson, I was told Texas is having productive conversations and receiving strong feedback on the four-star prospect. I dug around and it sounds like USC is definitely the lead dog in this race, and their firm grip on the 247Sports Crystal Ball race for Smith speaks volumes. One Pac 12 assistant told me he thought Smith was the best defensive back in California. Texas seems to be in the top group but they have some work to do to catch USC.

—I thought there was a chance Texas could hang around with Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei cornerback Jaylin Davies, but I think he ends up elsewhere. 247Sports' national analyst Greg Biggins recently entered a crystal ball for Davies to land at Arizona State and he's plugged into that recruitment. Sources in Austin tell me contact with Davies has slowed, so it makes sense that he's headed elsewhere.

• Like 3

Mike at Night: Texas making moves out west?

—It sounds like Texas is making some progress out west with Pasadena (Calif.) Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson. Chris Ash has been pushing for Johnson hard, and I was told by a source out west he's receptive. USC holds a commitment from Johnson's teammate Calen Bullock, but there's a feeling Johnson wants to get out of California. I checked around today and it sounds like Oregon, Texas and Colorado are the schools with the most buzz for the four-star prospect. Texas hosted Johnson for a virtual visit this week, and the Longhorns are pushing. They are going to need to get him to campus once restrictions lift, but this is an out of state name to keep an eye on.

—I've also heard some positive chatter around Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany defensive back Jaylin Smith. Like Johnson, I was told Texas is having productive conversations and receiving strong feedback on the four-star prospect. I dug around and it sounds like USC is definitely the lead dog in this race, and their firm grip on the 247Sports Crystal Ball race for Smith speaks volumes. One Pac 12 assistant told me he thought Smith was the best defensive back in California. Texas seems to be in the top group but they have some work to do to catch USC.

—I thought there was a chance Texas could hang around with Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei cornerback Jaylin Davies, but I think he ends up elsewhere. 247Sports' national analyst Greg Biggins recently entered a crystal ball for Davies to land at Arizona State and he's plugged into that recruitment. Sources in Austin tell me contact with Davies has slowed, so it makes sense that he's headed elsewhere.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Mike at night

It sounds like Texas is making some progress out west with Pasadena (Calif.) Muir cornerback Jamier Johnson. Chris Ash has been pushing for Johnson hard, and I was told by a source out west he's receptive. USC holds a commitment from Johnson's teammate Calen Bullock, but there's a feeling Johnson wants to get out of California. I checked around today and it sounds like Oregon, Texas and Colorado are the schools with the most buzz for the four-star prospect. Texas hosted Johnson for a virtual visit this week, and the Longhorns are pushing. They are going to need to get him to campus once restrictions lift, but this is an out of state name to keep an eye on.

—I've also heard some positive chatter around Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany defensive back Jaylin Smith. Like Johnson, I was told Texas is having productive conversations and receiving strong feedback on the four-star prospect. I dug around and it sounds like USC is definitely the lead dog in this race, and their firm grip on the 247Sports Crystal Ball race for Smith speaks volumes. One Pac 12 assistant told me he thought Smith was the best defensive back in California. Texas seems to be in the top group but they have some work to do to catch USC.

—I thought there was a chance Texas could hang around with Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei cornerback Jaylin Davies, but I think he ends up elsewhere. 247Sports' national analyst Greg Biggins recently entered a crystal ball for Davies to land at Arizona State and he's plugged into that recruitment. Sources in Austin tell me contact with Davies has slowed, so it makes sense that he's headed elsewhere.

"Pushing for Johnson hard." Nice work, Mike.

Archer Phrasing GIFs | Tenor

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I know Roach is saying that ou is using Tom being on the hot seat against him, but I have a feeling they are selling him on the ol Charlie Weiss pitch and points to Texas 2020 DL Class and 2021 commitments. Collins, Broughton, Sanders, Thomas, and are recruiting Turner..ou can sell an easy path to DE..  Having said all that.  If we play games this fall, Ossai killing it along with a solid season on the DE playing opposite (bimage, Jones?) I think Smith will commit to us

• Like 2

Ketch's LSR 100

https://n.rivals.com/ranks/3764

Spoiler

Tommy Brockermeyer
Camar Wheaton
Donovan Jackson
Ja'Tavion Sanders
Billy Bowman
Bryce Foster
Jalen Milroe
Clayton Smith
Savion Byrd
Shemar Turner
Landon Jackson
Garrett Nussmeier
Eli Stowers
JD Coffey
James Brockermeyer
JoJo Earle
Marcus Burris
Hayden Conner
LJ Johnson
Deuce Harmon
Chris Murray
Latrell McCutchin
J. Michael Sturdivant
Preston Stone
Quaydarius Davis
Cody Jackson
David Abiara
Shadrach Banks
Kendrick Blackshire
Jaeden Roberts
Derrick Harris
Ishmael Ibraheem
Ketron Jackson
Hunter Washington
Elijah Arroyo
Kaidon Salter
Jordon Thomas
Dametrious Crownover
Jaydon Williams
Dematrius Davis
Reuben Fatheree II
Morice Blackwell
Hal Presley
Landen King
Cam’Ron Valdez
Behren Morton
Connor Heffernan
Ahmonte Watkins
Cullen Montgomery
Erick Cade
Andrew Mukuba
Theodore Knox
Latrell Neville
Brandon Campbell
Shedeur Sanders
Jalen Kitna
Landyn Watson
Terrell Tilmon
Jordan Jenkins
Bryson Green
Cicero Caston
Jerand Bradley
Sawyer Robertson
Roderick Daniels
Kyron Drones
Devin Lemear
E'maurion Banks
Tavierre Dunlap
Keith Cooper
Jacob Rodriguez
Terrence Cooks
Jonathon Brooks
Jimmy Wyrick
Cole Carson
Lake McRee
Blaine Green
Caleb Johnson
Byron Murphy
Elijah Bean
Fernando Garza
Jai Jones
Matthew Wykoff
Charles Esters III
Montaye Dawson
Marsel McDuffie
Jack Tucker
D'Marion Alexander
Darius Hale
Nate Yarnell
Mark Wilson
Jalen Jones
Romario Noel
Juan Davis
Tyrone Brown
Jacoby Jackson
Lyrik Rawls
Edzavier Deblaw
Tate Williams
Jasper Lott
Kameron Allen

TL;DR

It's not bad. He LOVES Wheaton, thinks LJ is overrated. 

Too high on Coffey and Burris, thinks Chris Murray is heavily underrated. Cooks at 72 is the only egregious miss imo. 

Sturdivant ahead of Quay, JoJo ahead of both.

Ish is too low in the 20s. Mukuba is too low in the 50s.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I know Roach is saying that ou is using Tom being on the hot seat against him, but I have a feeling they are selling him on the ol Charlie Weiss pitch and points to Texas 2020 DL Class and 2021 commitments. Collins, Broughton, Sanders, Thomas, and are recruiting Turner..ou can sell an easy path to DE..  Having said all that.  If we play games this fall, Ossai killing it along with a solid season on the DE playing opposite (bimage, Jones?) I think Smith will commit to us

OU is doing the same thing with Ewers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ketch's LSR 100

Hide contents

Tommy Brockermeyer
Camar Wheaton
Donovan Jackson
Ja'Tavion Sanders
Billy Bowman
Bryce Foster
Jalen Milroe
Clayton Smith
Savion Byrd
Shemar Turner
Landon Jackson
Garrett Nussmeier
Eli Stowers
JD Coffey
James Brockermeyer
JoJo Earle
Marcus Burris
Hayden Conner
LJ Johnson
Deuce Harmon
Chris Murray
Latrell McCutchin
J. Michael Sturdivant
Preston Stone
Quaydarius Davis
Cody Jackson
David Abiara
Shadrach Banks
Kendrick Blackshire
Jaeden Roberts
Derrick Harris
Ishmael Ibraheem
Ketron Jackson
Hunter Washington
Elijah Arroyo
Kaidon Salter
Jordon Thomas
Dametrious Crownover
Jaydon Williams
Dematrius Davis
Reuben Fatheree II
Morice Blackwell
Hal Presley
Landen King
Cam’Ron Valdez
Behren Morton
Connor Heffernan
Ahmonte Watkins
Cullen Montgomery
Erick Cade
Andrew Mukuba
Theodore Knox
Latrell Neville
Brandon Campbell
Shedeur Sanders
Jalen Kitna
Landyn Watson
Terrell Tilmon
Jordan Jenkins
Bryson Green
Cicero Caston
Jerand Bradley
Sawyer Robertson
Roderick Daniels
Kyron Drones
Devin Lemear
E'maurion Banks
Tavierre Dunlap
Keith Cooper
Jacob Rodriguez
Terrence Cooks
Jonathon Brooks
Jimmy Wyrick
Cole Carson
Lake McRee
Blaine Green
Caleb Johnson
Byron Murphy
Elijah Bean
Fernando Garza
Jai Jones
Matthew Wykoff
Charles Esters III
Montaye Dawson
Marsel McDuffie
Jack Tucker
D'Marion Alexander
Darius Hale
Nate Yarnell
Mark Wilson
Jalen Jones
Romario Noel
Juan Davis
Tyrone Brown
Jacoby Jackson
Lyrik Rawls
Edzavier Deblaw
Tate Williams
Jasper Lott
Kameron Allen

TL;DR

Too high on Coffey and Burris, thinks Chris Murray is heavily underrated. Cooks at 72 is the only egregious miss imo. 

Jordon Thomas too low as well otherwise pretty solid

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Wow, Tech in the top 25 with a normal amount of recruits for this point (one less than us in fact) is really good for them. Didn't think of Wells as much of a recruiter.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Season/2021-Football/Commits/

Eh. I don’t think Wells is much of a recruiter. They’re 32nd in the composite with 8 commits and a .86 average. It’s pretty much a typical year for them. Their average and rank is probably a little inflated from having Morton as a solid 4 star. I doubt they’ll sign a whole lot more 4 stars this class. 

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ketch's LSR 100

Reveal hidden contents

Tommy Brockermeyer
Camar Wheaton
Donovan Jackson
Ja'Tavion Sanders
Billy Bowman
Bryce Foster
Jalen Milroe
Clayton Smith
Savion Byrd
Shemar Turner
Landon Jackson
Garrett Nussmeier
Eli Stowers
JD Coffey
James Brockermeyer
JoJo Earle
Marcus Burris
Hayden Conner
LJ Johnson
Deuce Harmon
Chris Murray
Latrell McCutchin
J. Michael Sturdivant
Preston Stone
Quaydarius Davis
Cody Jackson
David Abiara
Shadrach Banks
Kendrick Blackshire
Jaeden Roberts
Derrick Harris
Ishmael Ibraheem
Ketron Jackson
Hunter Washington
Elijah Arroyo
Kaidon Salter
Jordon Thomas
Dametrious Crownover
Jaydon Williams
Dematrius Davis
Reuben Fatheree II
Morice Blackwell
Hal Presley
Landen King
Cam’Ron Valdez
Behren Morton
Connor Heffernan
Ahmonte Watkins
Cullen Montgomery
Erick Cade
Andrew Mukuba
Theodore Knox
Latrell Neville
Brandon Campbell
Shedeur Sanders
Jalen Kitna
Landyn Watson
Terrell Tilmon
Jordan Jenkins
Bryson Green
Cicero Caston
Jerand Bradley
Sawyer Robertson
Roderick Daniels
Kyron Drones
Devin Lemear
E'maurion Banks
Tavierre Dunlap
Keith Cooper
Jacob Rodriguez
Terrence Cooks
Jonathon Brooks
Jimmy Wyrick
Cole Carson
Lake McRee
Blaine Green
Caleb Johnson
Byron Murphy
Elijah Bean
Fernando Garza
Jai Jones
Matthew Wykoff
Charles Esters III
Montaye Dawson
Marsel McDuffie
Jack Tucker
D'Marion Alexander
Darius Hale
Nate Yarnell
Mark Wilson
Jalen Jones
Romario Noel
Juan Davis
Tyrone Brown
Jacoby Jackson
Lyrik Rawls
Edzavier Deblaw
Tate Williams
Jasper Lott
Kameron Allen

TL;DR

My top ~10, since you guys care

1) Tommy Brockermeyer
2) Ja'Tavion Sanders
3) Donovan Jackson
4) Billy Bowman
5) JoJo Earle
6) Tunmise Adeleye
7) Landon Jackson
😎 Terrance Cooks
9) Ishmael Ibraheem
10) Byrd, LJ, or Wheaton

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fud said:

My top ~10, since you guys care

1) Tommy Brockermeyer
2) Ja'Tavion Sanders
3) Donovan Jackson
4) Billy Bowman
5) JoJo Earle
6) Tunmise Adeleye
7) Landon Jackson
😎 Terrance Cooks
9) Ishmael Ibraheem
10) Byrd, LJ, or Wheaton

Mine would be similar except add Milroe in there

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Didn't even think OU was after Smith until recently and he gives them a silent commit out of the blue.  Supposedly isn't announcing until one of the All-Star games, but he'll probably go public in a few weeks.  Seems how most of these are going lately.

I hope the staff keeps working him.