Reese Bennett

Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think Tom Herman probably thinks he’s flipping the Brockermeyers, because that’s how his dumb ass rolls. 

Tom overconfident...really! Nah...

50 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You know those guys play different positions, right?

Obviously. Taking Myslinski in July is  a general sign of how bad OL recruiting is going. But also Connor has positional flexibility, back when this board thought we were landing errbody, the idea was that Connor could move inside. If we landed two big time tackles he could become a far superior interior take, but we didn’t land shit. And now we’re taking Myslinski.

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Obviously. Taking Myslinski in July is  a general sign of how bad OL recruiting is going. But also Connor has positional flexibility, back when this board thought we were landing errbody, the idea was that Connor could move inside. If we landed two big time tackles he could become a far superior interior take, but we didn’t land shit. And now we’re taking Myslinski.

Myslinski isn't a bad take compared with James.  I get it, we didn't land Tommy, but isn't Myslinski better on tape than James at C?

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

He's still projected inside, the way he's grown he's a fantastic guard prospect, and we're not sacrificing that.

We just need tackles.

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Can you point me to discussion about Connor as our Center?

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Myslinski isn't a bad take compared with James.  I get it, we didn't land Tommy, but isn't Myslinski better on tape than James at C?

also this.

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

I do think James is massively overrated because of his brother.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's still projected inside, the way he's grown he's a fantastic guard prospect, and we're not sacrificing that.

We just need tackles.

My original point was that we don’t have the luxury to be picky about Byrd, because yeah, we do need tackles.

12 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I do think James is massively overrated because of his brother.

if he’s an only child named james smith he isn’t rated. 

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Can you point me to discussion about Connor as our Center?

He could play any of the interior spots. There are tackles and there are interior lineman that’s the only real distinction that matters in recruiting. Neither Kerstetter nor Ghirmai were listed as centers coming out of high school. 

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Perroni and Hattersley, on Cooks.

image.thumb.png.2a6eb352b8fe98708bda8c75b847dcbd.png

In other words, "Jimbo backed off", "not SEC West ready", " staff likes Seegers better".

20 minutes ago, futureman said:

if he’s an only child named james smith he isn’t rated. 

Agreed but due to his real surname he wouldn’t have been processed in Austin like he will in Tuscaloosa.

48 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

In other words, "Jimbo backed off", "not SEC West ready", " staff likes Seegers better".

RC didn't offer

9 hours ago, Thiefery said:

my pal in FTW is concerned about Bowman.. says he took off his Texas pics on IG..

I don't know whether he took anything off IG or not, BUT, Bowman is listening to OU.  His decision will come down to which staff sells him best on how they plan to use him (he wants an opportunity to play both sides of the ball).  One staff has told him he's only playing one side, the other staff is selling him on an opportunity for both.  There is a cause for concern, albeit a small one right now.

6 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

If a staff is telling you that you will play on both sides of the ball, they’re lying to you.

I don't disagree, but that's their pitch and he's listening.

1 minute ago, texashorn13 said:

I don't disagree, but that's their pitch and he's listening.

Out of curiosity, how do you know?

Also, lol, yeah, much like Bama's "ignore all our interior OL takes, James is very important to us" sell to the Brockermeyers, you wonder how people fall for this shit.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

If a staff is telling you that you will play on both sides of the ball, they’re lying to you.

I can count on one hand on how many have done this (with success) since Woodson won Heisman. 

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

I don't know whether he took anything off IG or not, BUT, Bowman is listening to OU.  His decision will come down to which staff sells him best on how they plan to use him (he wants an opportunity to play both sides of the ball).  One staff has told him he's only playing one side, the other staff is selling him on an opportunity for both.  There is a cause for concern, albeit a small one right now.

If true, Tom needs to soften up his stance and point to how he let D'Shawn Jamison play WR his freshman season (different situation I know) and how he has used him as a KR as examples of him being flexible with how he uses players with Bowman's talent.

Who has ou actually played both ways under Riley?

6 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Who has ou actually played both ways under Riley?

Trejan Bridges last year.  Not sure about any others.

Out of curiosity, how do you know?
Also, lol, yeah, much like Bama's "ignore all our interior OL takes, James is very important to us" sell to the Brockermeyers, you wonder how people fall for this shit.

Lots of times reasonable people fall for stupid shit because deep down they want to.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Lots of times reasonable people fall for stupid shit because deep down they want to.

Or in Bowman's case, pussy is undefeated.

I can’t believe we are going through this again after Bowman told roach specifically that he’s 100% committed to Texas

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Or in Bowman's case, pussy is undefeated.

that & the fact that well i dont have to say it you all know what im implying about campus 

12 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

He could play any of the interior spots. There are tackles and there are interior lineman that’s the only real distinction that matters in recruiting. Neither Kerstetter nor Ghirmai were listed as centers coming out of high school. 

Just to be clear.. the example you cited about there being tackles and interior linemen is Kerstetter, a guy who played tackle for three years and is now moving to the interior? 

9 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

Trejan Bridges last year.  Not sure about any others.

if he is sold by a guy who had 7 catches last year and 8 tackles (5 solo, 3 assisted - 6 of them were on kickoffs) and who didn't play a snap in the Peach Bowl vs LSU not sure what we can do there.

6 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

that & the fact that well i dont have to say it you all know what im implying about campus 

But it gets better in Norman?  BS.  Nah, either haven't been around campus or they can't pull it. 

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

The Iowa guy who pulled his Texas CB wrote a Myslinski decision preview: https://247sports.com/Article/Michael-Myslinski-Iowa-Hawkeyes-Football-Recruiting-Focused-Three-Schools--149626145/

Says nothing. At all. 9.95. 

Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny 2021 three-star offensive lineman Michael Myslinski is close to making a decision.

The nation's No. 12 center told 247Sports on Tuesday that he is planning on making a decision later this week, and that he is focused on three schools.

"I'm down to Iowa, Texas, and Michigan State," Myslinski said.

Myslinski has seen all three campuses in the past few months and was also considering Maryland, Florida State, and others.

The most recent 247Sports Crystal Ball for Myslinski was to Texas, but he Myslinski added that he is still working his way through the decision process.

42 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Says nothing. At all. 9.95. 

Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny 2021 three-star offensive lineman Michael Myslinski is close to making a decision.

The nation's No. 12 center told 247Sports on Tuesday that he is planning on making a decision later this week, and that he is focused on three schools.

"I'm down to Iowa, Texas, and Michigan State," Myslinski said.

Myslinski has seen all three campuses in the past few months and was also considering Maryland, Florida State, and others.

The most recent 247Sports Crystal Ball for Myslinski was to Texas, but he Myslinski added that he is still working his way through the decision process.

Iowa guy cut a deal to get the scoop in exchange for building up the suspense.

9 hours ago, utfan87 said:

I can’t believe we are going through this again after Bowman told roach specifically that he’s 100% committed to Texas

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

With Coe and Downs as their DT takes, I don't know that the Sooners have the numbers to take Burris (or Abiara) honestly.  @quigley may know, but I think with the transfers coming in that they might be up against it with 4 DL already committed and limited numbers vs. the 25 but several needs because of the attrition. 

Aggie already has Vaka, and essentially has Taleeq Robbins and Monkell Goodwine - they are actually in a really good spot for Tywone Malone as well and have a puncher's chance with Desmond Watson. The interesting thing is that with Crownover and Phillips aggy is also only able to take 23. 

so what I'm saying is that top 3 is really interesting to me. 

Edited by golfclap

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

so what I'm saying is that top 3 is really interesting to me. 

Post-ACL, he's going to try to lock in a spot somewhere soon. Texas +1. 

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm thinking ou somehow makes him fit

There was some proffering that blOU took a step back. They want to see how he heals, I guess. He's also too big for their scheme unless they shade him at nose which is a bad fit. Hopefully that's being impressed upon him. 

@Fud Has LSU been in on Burris at all? With Jackson there and BR being more in line with the small town feel insiders are saying he wants, I'm surprised they aren't a factor. 

30 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Aggie already has Vaka, and essentially has Taleeq Robbins and Monkell Goodwine - they are actually in a really good spot for Tywone Malone as well and have a puncher's chance with Desmond Watson. The interesting thing is that with Crownover and Phillips aggy is also only able to take 23. 

It will be incredible if they don''t have room for Burris and their DL class was some variation of those names. At least a few of them are actually good but holy shit I never thought I would see a Texas school abandon recruiting in state kids like this.

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Post-ACL, he's going to try to lock in a spot somewhere soon. Texas +1. 

There was some proffering that blOU took a step back. They want to see how he heals, I guess. He's also too big for their scheme unless they shade him at nose which is a bad fit. Hopefully that's being impressed upon him. 

@Fud Has LSU been in on Burris at all? With Jackson there and BR being more in line with the small town feel insiders are saying he wants, I'm surprised they aren't a factor. 

How does Burris compare to Jackson and our DE signees last year?

Hypothetical;

Would you take Burris over Turner if you would have a 40% shot of flipping Jackson before NSD1?

Just now, Thiefery said:

Hypothetical;

Would you take Burris over Turner if you would have a 40% shot of flipping Jackson before NSD1?

No.