What Are Your Top 5 U.S. Cities/Towns/Spots?

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nope.  But of all the non-neighboring places to Iowa that I've visited, I've probably only been to Colorado more.  I've visited Texas 20ish times, and a wide (although FAR from comprehensive) range of locales.

Well I would tell you that while I think some of the exceptionalism is manufactured a lot of it - if not the majority - isn't. 

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I get why people live there.  But as a frequent visitor to Colorado, it's never been anywhere close to my favorite spot in that state.  If Denver wasn't at the foot of the Rockies, it wouldn't stand out anywhere near as much as it does.

That's what's magical about a place like New Orleans to me.  There is really no surrounding aesthetic beauty or great recreational opportunity.  It's a freaking swamp that doesn't have much beach access at all.  The city itself is that compelling and vibrant that it stands completely on it's own.

Yeah, there are much better spots in the state, but Denver is pretty good for a big city, IMO.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well I would tell you that while I think some of the exceptionalism is manufactured a lot of it - if not the majority - isn't. 

So your opinion is that Texas is objectively better than most of the rest of the country?

Which I'm not saying as a point of argument.  Just understanding your point.  Most Texans I know believe that Texas is truly superior to other places, and to me that would be probably the biggest explanation for natives not leaving.  Or at least the reason that's the most unique to Texas.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, there are much better spots in the state, but Denver is pretty good for a big city, IMO.

I would agree.  I'm just saying that without the Rockies, Denver is basically Minneapolis or Kansas City.  Very fun towns with plenty of options, but I haven't seen either on anyone's list here.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

So your opinion is that Texas is objectively better than most of the rest of the country?

Which I'm not saying as a point of argument.  Just understanding your point.  Most Texans I know believe that Texas is truly superior to other places, and to me that would be probably the biggest explanation for natives not leaving.  Or at least the reason that's the most unique to Texas.

I feel like I'm coming at this more objectively than you are. I've lived my entire life here - across 2 major cities - and I've never felt the need to pretend it was better than it actually is. There are some legitimately great places to live in Texas. It isn't for everyone. I've summized thus far in my life that it's for me enough to not need to escape elsewhere. There is of course part of that that is a result of familiarity, nostalgia and family ties. But not all of it. 

More people have moved here than have left for a long, long time. That doesn't make it the best place in the country - I don't think it is, frankly - but it does in a way objectively hint at it being a nice place to live. 

I repped your initial comment. Texas exceptionalism is real and it can get extremely silly. At the same time - a lot of it is rooted in experience. It isn't some fugazi mind-trick keeping 30+ million people here and dragging folks in from across the country. 

It isn't for everyone. If it isn't for you then don't live here. But pretending it's run of the mill and the residents only stick around because they're lying to themselves is fucking stupid. 

Also - I live somewhere - in Texas - that people from across the country are flocking to. And they all think it's way more amazing than I - who has lived here for 20 years in total - do. 

Edited by ztejas

"Texas forever."

"Texas whatever."

I quoted Friday Night Lights with both of those.  If you live in Texas long enough, the shine wears off at some point and it seems to wear off quicker now than in decades past.  (One of the subplots of the show's story arc.)  People aren't moving to Texas because of some "Texas forever" thing, they move there because of the jobs.  Their kids stay because they went to a college in the region and the jobs are in Texas.

No one dreams of living in some suburb of Dallas or Houston.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

"Texas forever."

"Texas whatever."

I quoted Friday Night Lights with both of those.  If you live in Texas long enough, the shine wears off at some point and it seems to wear off quicker now than in decades past.  (One of the subplots of the show's story arc.)  People aren't moving to Texas because of some "Texas forever" thing, they move there because of the jobs.  Their kids stay because they went to a college in the region and the jobs are in Texas.

No one dreams of living in some suburb of Dallas or Houston.

Jobs are a tangible factor that doesn't bring Texas exceptionalism into the mix. 

I mean you're basically saying "a bunch of people only live here because the economy is so great"

Yeah?

Edited by ztejas

I feel like I'm coming at this more objectively than you are. I've lived my entire life here - across 2 major cities - and I've never felt the need to pretend it was better than it actually is. There are some legitimately great places to live in Texas. It isn't for everyone. I've summized thus far in my life that it's for me enough to not need to escape elsewhere. There is of course part of that that is a result of familiarity, nostalgia and family ties. But not all of it. 
More people have moved here than have left for a long, long time. That doesn't make it the best place in the country - I don't think it is, frankly - but it does in a way objectively hint at it being a nice place to live. 
I repped your initial comment. Texas exceptionalism is real and it can get extremely silly. At the same time - a lot of it is rooted in experience. It isn't some fugazi mind-trick keeping 30+ million people here and dragging folks in from across the country. 
It isn't for everyone. If it isn't for you then don't live here. But pretending it's run of the mill and the residents only stick around because they're lying to themselves is fucking stupid. 
Also - I live somewhere - in Texas - that people from across the country are flocking to. And they all think it's way more amazing than I - who has lived here for 20 years in total - do. 

First, you’re definitely less objective about this by virtue of being a lifetime resident. Objectivity tends to come from the outside.

I’m not judging Texas’s self pride as unwarranted or foolish. I’m saying it is unique to Texas, and likely has a positive effect on people staying there.

As an outsider I could easily live in Texas. Plenty to like about it. Hell, I’ve posted on this board about wanting to winter during retirement in the Hill Country. I also think the idea of places being objectively better is almost logically impossible. McDonalds sells more cheeseburgers than anyone else, ya know?
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Pretty much everyone I know that’s been to New Orleans has hated it, all saying it was dirty & ghetto. I’ve never visited because I’ve never heard anything good about it. Should probably go judge for myself. I do love me some beignets. 

Parts are dirty and ghetto. Other parts are not. An even higher percentage is both ghetto and high class at the same time. The Quarter is a Spanish colonial town swiped by the French, filled up with Irish and Italians like a Swamp Brooklyn, and now mobbed by puking Americans. Yet it can be great if you skip Bourbon Street and saunter along Royal Street a block away.

My cousin, a genius plumber, bought a shack on a part of Orleans Avenue the pizza drivers didn't know existed, jacked it up, built an entire house underneath it, and had the old front porch so high above street level that it was like a crow's nest, you could almost see over the retaining wall for the canal where boats would float past above us.

You can guess what Katrina did to that.

Only been back once since Katrina, all the oldest parts which like the Quarter were built a foot or two above sea level were booming with life, as opposed to the parts that the French had left as swamps.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

First, you’re definitely less objective about this by virtue of being a lifetime resident. Objectivity tends to come from the outside.

I’m not judging Texas’s self pride as unwarranted or foolish. I’m saying it is unique to Texas, and likely has a positive effect on people staying there.

As an outsider I could easily live in Texas. Plenty to like about it. Hell, I’ve posted on this board about wanting to winter during retirement in the Hill Country. I also think the idea of places being objectively better is almost logically impossible. McDonalds sells more cheeseburgers than anyone else, ya know?

Objective isn't the right word. Only used that word because it seemed like you were bagging on Texans. I am however more informed - much so. No hard feelings - enjoyed the convo. There are places in Texas I'd rather blow my brains out than set up shop in. Exceptionalism has its limits. I feel like I owe it to myself to check out Des Moines sometime (is that the best spot in Iowa?). Never met an Iowan that wasn't stupidly nice.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

Objective isn't the right word. Only used that word because it seemed like you were bagging on Texans. I am however more informed - much so. No hard feelings - enjoyed the convo. There are places in Texas I'd rather blow my brains out than set up shop in. Exceptionalism has its limits. I feel like I owe it to myself to check out Des Moines sometime (is that the best spot in Iowa?). Never met an Iowan that wasn't stupidly nice.

I think “best” is loaded. Most people would find Des Moines the best part of Iowa. It’s the most urban and it’s growing like crazy.

I think the Driftless Area is the best part of the state, but it’s remote, outdoorsy, and hours away from anything urban on the scale you’re used to with DFW and Austin. But it’s beautiful and uncrowded, and I like spending my free time biking, hiking, and kayaking. I have unfettered access to high quality options on all of those fronts in my 50 mile radius. Des Moines doesn’t provide that, and even though I love that city and did live there, I prefer where I am today.

Best is a tricky thing.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think “best” is loaded. Most people would find Des Moines the best part of Iowa. It’s the most urban and it’s growing like crazy.

I think the Driftless Area is the best part of the state, but it’s remote, outdoorsy, and hours away from anything urban on the scale you’re used to with DFW and Austin. But it’s beautiful and uncrowded, and I like spending my free time biking, hiking, and kayaking. I have unfettered access to high quality options on all of those fronts in my 50 mile radius. Des Moines doesn’t provide that, and even though I love that city and did live there, I prefer where I am today.

Best is a tricky thing.

Of course. I guess what I mean is "most accessible for a first time visitor". 

I've been to Lawrence, KS and enjoyed it. It had its charm. Probably the closest I've been to Iowa unless Chicago is technically closer. 

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Best is a tricky thing.

Bettendorf or GTFO!

• Like 1

Of course. I guess what I mean is "most accessible for a first time visitor". 
I've been to Lawrence, KS and enjoyed it. It had its charm. Probably the closest I've been to Iowa unless Chicago is technically closer. 

Lawrence KS is very similar to the larger towns/college towns in Iowa, and closer than Chicago. It’s a lot like Iowa City in particular with some similarities to Ames.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Pretty much everyone I know that’s been to New Orleans has hated it, all saying it was dirty & ghetto. I’ve never visited because I’ve never heard anything good about it. Should probably go judge for myself. I do love me some beignets. 

I did not like my first visit in July of 2011. Hotter'n fuck. Sticky. dank. and seedy AF at night.  I shared it on the Shag and got lambasted for it.

Went for 4 years in a row on Mardi Gras weekend to attend military drill meet at Tulane...and partake in the festivities in the Quarter.

Night and day different experiences from the first time.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

You need new friends. New Orleans is one of the greatest places on earth.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

They would say something similar about Austin if they came here and only went to Dirty Sixth.

New Orleans is great for a long weekend.  I would never live there.  I was actually there 2 days before Katrina hit.  Friend was unhappy with his job and wanted to leave for good but couldn’t get a uhaul to take his stuff with him.  I grabbed one in Dallas and picked him up.  Loooooooooong drive back to Dallas.

28 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

New Orleans is great for a long weekend.  I would never live there.  I was actually there 2 days before Katrina hit.  Friend was unhappy with his job and wanted to leave for good but couldn’t get a uhaul to take his stuff with him.  I grabbed one in Dallas and picked him up.  Loooooooooong drive back to Dallas.

This.  Living someplace is different than loving it.  Living someplace means you embrace the everyday grind.  If you're the type that would get frustrated at the basics of a city not being there, New Orleans ain't for you.  Sure, they have good food and music but nothing there works.

I eyed that area too. It's gorgeous and accessible. But then I read the Oregonian's articles about how genuinely fucked and woefully unprepared the entire state of Oregon is for a shift in the Cascadia fault. Hell, OR doesn't even have good monitoring of their active volcanoes. At least CA has building codes that have helped them prepare. Oregon hasn't done squat.

Why prepare when everyone would just be dead?

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Why prepare when everyone would just be dead?

In a tiny area.  Corvallis is allegedly the safest place in America from natural disasters.

My biggest fear here in SW Washington isn’t earthquake, volcano, or tsunami.  It’s a mega dry/hot year forest fire in the dense tree covered wet side where I live.  

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Have you driven to Jackson from Denver?  90% of Wyoming is a desolate wasteland.  And the wind.  Dear Lord, the wind.

This. I was going to buy a place between the park and Cody. My wife asked everyone she met "what's the worst thing about living here?" 100% said the wind.

• Hook 'Em 2

That’s fine, there’s probably not enough money in the world for me to visit any place on your list. Different strokes for different folks. Big part of what’s wrong with the world today is the last sentence of your post.

You’re right on different strokes for different folks. Totally respect that you know what you want and stick to it. But let’s not pretend you’re not saying the exact same thing South Austin did with “not enough money in the world for me to visit any place on your list,” so maybe drop the self righteous “what’s wrong with the world today” bit.

There are many reasons Texas is the “stickiest” state in the US. People that are born in this state stay in this state moreso than anywhere else

If this is true, and to be clear I have no idea whether or not it is, it’s for two reasons only: economics and size. Mobility, or the lack thereof, is primarily driven by economics- affordability, job prospects, etc. And Texas includes several major job centers located farther apart than, say, the DC-Boston corridor.

I do think that exceptionalism in general is pretty silly in as much as it leads people to think that wherever they're from is simply the best, bar none.  This breeds a very insular mentality and tends to limit curiosity about the rest of the world, which eventually makes you fairly ignorant.

The plus side is that having a love and pride for your home is a very healthy thing, and if that mentality was embraced everywhere, I think you would see people in general take more pride in their communities.

In regards to Texas (and Minnesota in my experience) the downside is you see people who've never or rarely left a state, living in a not-so-great part of said state and being completely close minded about anywhere else being a good place to live or visit.  I went to high school in Rochester, Minnesota and everyone there thought all parts of Iowa were absolutely inferior to all parts of Minnesota.  When one of my good buddies went to Drake in Des Moines, he fell in love with the town and never left.  People in Rochester still ask him with a tone of disgust why he stays there.  They truly don't realize that Des Moines is 4x the size of Rochester and simply has more urban amenities, which my friend preferred. It's in Iowa.  It CAN'T be more to desirable to any sane person.  I'm sure there's someone living in a trailer outside of Waco that thinks someone living in a beautiful neighborhood of Tulsa or somewhere in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas is a fucking idiot because that state sucks.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

You’re right on different strokes for different folks. Totally respect that you know what you want and stick to it. But let’s not pretend you’re not saying the exact same thing South Austin did with “not enough money in the world for me to visit any place on your list,” so maybe drop the self righteous “what’s wrong with the world today” bit.

If this is true, and to be clear I have no idea whether or not it is, it’s for two reasons only: economics and size. Mobility, or the lack thereof, is primarily driven by economics- affordability, job prospects, etc. And Texas includes several major job centers located farther apart than, say, the DC-Boston corridor.

So no other reasons are possible, huh? Just sheer land mass and money? That's reductive to the point of not even being worth debate, and ignorant.

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I do think that exceptionalism in general is pretty silly in as much as it leads people to think that wherever they're from is simply the best, bar none.  This breeds a very insular mentality and tends to limit curiosity about the rest of the world, which eventually makes you fairly ignorant.

The plus side is that having a love and pride for your home is a very healthy thing, and if that mentality was embraced everywhere, I think you would see people in general take more pride in their communities.

In regards to Texas (and Minnesota in my experience) the downside is you see people who've never or rarely left a state, living in a not-so-great part of said state and being completely close minded about anywhere else being a good place to live or visit.  I went to high school in Rochester, Minnesota and everyone there thought all parts of Iowa were absolutely inferior to all parts of Minnesota.  When one of my good buddies went to Drake in Des Moines, he fell in love with the town and never left.  People in Rochester still ask him with a tone of disgust why he stays there.  They truly don't realize that Des Moines is 4x the size of Rochester and simply has more urban amenities, which my friend preferred. It's in Iowa.  It CAN'T be more to desirable to any sane person.

I've only read page 5 of this thread, but that's enough to know that you sure are sure of your takes without leaving much room for alternatives. You know fuck-all about how most Texans view anything, that's evident from your takes, including the hawtest on this quoted post where you presume that people love the state who live here because they've apparently never visited much outside of the state. Strong stuff right there. Relating that position to your personal experiences associated to fucking Rochester, MN and winding up in Iowa is doubled-down greatness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So no other reasons are possible, huh? Just sheer land mass and money? That's reductive to the point of not even being worth debate, and ignorant.

I've only read page 5 of this thread, but that's enough to know that you sure are sure of your takes without leaving much room for alternatives. You know fuck-all about how most Texans view anything, that's evident from your takes, including the hawtest on this quoted post where you presume that people love the state who live here because they've apparently never visited much outside of the state. Strong stuff right there. Relating that position to your personal experiences associated to fucking Rochester, MN and winding up in Iowa is doubled-down greatness. 

That's quite a.... jump.

I'll show myself out.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

And you're obviously pretty fucking sensitive about the idea, got all triggered, and missed the post where I said that Texas has a lot going for it and ideally I'd be able to winter there some day (as opposed to Arizona or Florida, or any other warm weather state).

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Serious question. I may have the opportunity to relocate to either Boston or Chicago for 12 months. Currently living near NYC so accustomed to high COL.  No kids so school not a factor and will rent instead of buy. Again, only for 12 months so there is an end in sight.

Chicago 

Pros: centrally located, Cubs and Wrigley, cool architecture, awesome food options, nice downtown, Lake Michigan, the L, closer to the lakes in Minnesota and Wisconsin and cities to visit (Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St Paul, Madison)

Cons: wind, rough winter, high crime in south and southwest part of city, city and state government 

Boston

Pros: Red Sox and Fenway, closer to VT, NH, ME, and Canada, world class universities, awesome Italian in north Boston, lobstah. Hard to beat the fall in the northeast.

Cons: another northeast city, not sure about mass transit since I am spoiled by the subway system in NYC, colder winter than NYC?

I've been to both cities multiple times but haven't stayed long enough to really get to know the city. Chicago seems more spread out and rougher around the edge. Boston was harder to drive especially around downtown and The Big Dig. I missed an exit and swear it took me 20 minutes to get back on track. 

State income tax of about 5% in both so a wash. 

I am sure there are some fallacies in my pros and cons so not looking for a fight but rather honest opinion on both. Thanks.

1 minute ago, APEX said:

Serious question. I may have the opportunity to relocate to either Boston or Chicago for 12 months. Currently living near NYC so accustomed to high COL.  No kids so school not a factor and will rent instead of buy. Again, only for 12 months so there is an end in sight.

Chicago 

Pros: centrally located, Cubs and Wrigley, cool architecture, awesome food options, nice downtown, Lake Michigan, the L, closer to the lakes in Minnesota and Wisconsin and cities to visit (Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St Paul, Madison)

Cons: wind, rough winter, high crime in south and southwest part of city, city and state government 

Boston

Pros: Red Sox and Fenway, closer to VT, NH, ME, and Canada, world class universities, awesome Italian in north Boston, lobstah. Hard to beat the fall in the northeast.

Cons: another northeast city, not sure about mass transit since I am spoiled by the subway system in NYC, colder winter than NYC?

I've been to both cities multiple times but haven't stayed long enough to really get to know the city. Chicago seems more spread out and rougher around the edge. Boston was harder to drive especially around downtown and The Big Dig. I missed an exit and swear it took me 20 minutes to get back on track. 

State income tax of about 5% in both so a wash. 

I am sure there are some fallacies in my pros and cons so not looking for a fight but rather honest opinion on both. Thanks.

Like how close to Chicago do you need to be?  Milwaukee is a pretty fun town and much easier to get around in.  I don't know anything about Boston, but your assessment of Chicago is pretty accurate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, APEX said:

The mass transit in Boston is the last thing you should be worried about.  MBTA is top notch.  Not sure I've ever even taken a cab there.

https://www.metro-magazine.com/10112565/best-and-worst-cities-for-commuting-on-public-transportation
https://dailyfreepress.com/2019/09/13/bostons-public-transit-ranks-second-in-the-nation/

• Hook 'Em 1

The funny thing about any state exceptionalism is that 90% of all states are shitholes.  I feel that way about all of them.  There are only a handful of zip codes in each state that I like.  

On Boston vs. Chicago, take Boston.  It's closer to many more other cities.  Day trips to Vermont/NH, take the train to NYC, etc.  Sure, it has shit weather but so does Chicago.  Although, if it wasn't for the complete shit winter weather, Chicago is awesome.  Crime is a problem but only in a few select neighborhoods.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In regards to Texas (and Minnesota in my experience) the downside is you see people who've never or rarely left a state, living in a not-so-great part of said state and being completely close minded about anywhere else being a good place to live or visit.  I went to high school in Rochester, Minnesota and everyone there thought all parts of Iowa were absolutely inferior to all parts of Minnesota.  When one of my good buddies went to Drake in Des Moines, he fell in love with the town and never left.  People in Rochester still ask him with a tone of disgust why he stays there.  They truly don't realize that Des Moines is 4x the size of Rochester and simply has more urban amenities, which my friend preferred. It's in Iowa.  It CAN'T be more to desirable to any sane person.  I'm sure there's someone living in a trailer outside of Waco that thinks someone living in a beautiful neighborhood of Tulsa or somewhere in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas is a fucking idiot because that state sucks.

Well, Texas IS the best, bar none.

And I didn't live in the US until I was 10 - grew up in Europe and Asia.  And I've traveled all over the world.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The Cubs are a bug, not a feature.

As a Cardinals fan, I wholeheartedly agree.

Although I'd love to go to a home stand at Wrigley one day.

19 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

On Boston vs. Chicago, take Boston.  It's closer to many more other cities.  Day trips to Vermont/NH, take the train to NYC, etc.  Sure, it has shit weather but so does Chicago.  Although, if it wasn't for the complete shit winter weather, Chicago is awesome.  Crime is a problem but only in a few select neighborhoods.

I'd lean the other way, but mostly because I've lived in Chicago.  He's already lived in NYC, and while that's not the same as Boston, I'd say Chicago is a whole 'nother world.  Biggest small town imaginable.  That's not really a Boston vibe.

20 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

As a Cardinals fan, I wholeheartedly agree.

Although I'd love to go to a home stand at Wrigley one day.

Agreed, as a Cardinals fan. 

Wrigley is a shrine.  A must see.  I was in Chicago on a business trip, and after our meeting got wrapped up way early, our hosts asked if we wanted to go see the Cubs.  Uh, yeah?  2nd row box seats, first base, right above the dugout.  And, the Cubs were playing . . . the Cardinals.  Cards won.  It was a dream day, absolutely beautiful weather, afternoon game, the whole 9 yards.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I went to college in Texas, married a Texan, and my 2 business partners are Texans.  I'd say I'm pretty educated on what makes Texans tick.  And I think @Al_4_ISU is pretty dead on.  

• Hook 'Em 1