Better Call Saul- returns August 6th

Goo Punch

Looks like Kim is bored and needs the crazy...  Sadly, this won't end well for her because Jimmy made it to Breaking Bad and someone is taking a fall somewhere sometime...

Are we being led to beleive that the safe full of money at Nacho's house money he's skimming from the Salamaca's? And the new guy is there to find out if he has been?

Edited by RD3

3 hours ago, RD3 said:

Looks like Kim is bored and needs the crazy...  Sadly, this won't end well for her because Jimmy made it to Breaking Bad and someone is taking a fall somewhere sometime...

Are we being led to beleive that the safe full of money at Nacho's house money he's skimming from the Salamaca's? And the new guy is there to find out if he has been?

That is what I am getting, Notice, he also had some fake Canadian IDs for him and his father. He is trying to get enough together, so they can escape.

watching the episode right now and i've paused it on the part where jimmy is playing the pastor. i am going to be so pissed if he blows this by telling some detail-laden, fantastical story which can easily be disproven by a quick google search. for jimmy mcgill to have been the ultimate hustler since the inception of the show, for him to have pulled off so many grifts and schemes, employing an insane attention to detail and precision, if he blows this on something so obvious and amateurish, i am going to be heated.

I felt like a fool because I never thought of Nacho as having a nice house and girls.  He just seemed to me like a step or two about street guy and I never thought of him as being flashy.  I suppose because I associated him with his dad and the simply life he lives.  

Watch the opening scene again with Kim dropping Jimmy off at the bus station.  The same African American gentlemen in the same yellow garment walks past them twice, in the same direction.

I thought I saw the same thing in front of the dilapidated office space scene where she’s smoking with Jimmy. I’ll have to go back and check out both

38 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I felt like a fool because I never thought of Nacho as having a nice house and girls.  He just seemed to me like a step or two about street guy and I never thought of him as being flashy.  I suppose because I associated him with his dad and the simply life he lives.  

Remember that several months have passed since he started running the Salamanca's operation.  He's got a lot more money than he used to now that he's in charge.

Edited by kevwun

First off, best episode of the season for me so far.

I agree that Nacho may be skimming looking for a way out.

Kim Wexler kissing Jimmy in the stairwell was awesome.  Loved the scam.  Also her wanting to keep going on it made me love her more.

I also agree the that Jimmy may have screwed up with the pastor bit.  Too much detail.

RE: Kim 

Remember, the entire Breaking Bad series takes place over just a 2 year period. September 2008 - September 2010. 

Given Kim’s action in the episode last night,  my guess is that she’s in prison while Breaking Bad is playing out. She could have just as easily left town. But I doubt she’s dead. No way Saul Goodman is happy go lucky in Breaking Bad after losing his older brother to suicide and his girlfriend / best friend. 

Kim dying on Better Call Saul would be a very dark place for a relativelt upbeat series to go. 

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

But I doubt she’s dead. No way Saul Goodman is happy go lucky in Breaking Bad after losing his older brother to suicide and his girlfriend / best friend. 

Jimmy reminds me of Worm from Rounders.

There is a great scene in Rounders when Worm is hiding at their old school and Mike is trying to stay straight.  

WORM: You know what, stop worrying about me so much, okay, I'm turning things around. I'm not gonna let anyone drop a garbage can on my head.
MIKE: No, no, you're gonna get out of the way and it's gonna land on me.

The garbage can is going to land on Kim's head. Jimmy turns into Saul then.

Edited by RD3

Nacho and Kim are among the best characters, and I think it ends poorly for both. We would have seen Nacho in Breaking Bad, and too much of a stretch to have Kim around during the same time. I think others posted, guessing Kim's demise pushed Jimmy fully over the edge to Saul: from small-time hustler to big-time hustler.

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

watching the episode right now and i've paused it on the part where jimmy is playing the pastor. i am going to be so pissed if he blows this by telling some detail-laden, fantastical story which can easily be disproven by a quick google search. for jimmy mcgill to have been the ultimate hustler since the inception of the show, for him to have pulled off so many grifts and schemes, employing an insane attention to detail and precision, if he blows this on something so obvious and amateurish, i am going to be heated.

Remember, Jimmy actually went to the town in Louisiana to mail the letters. I'm sure he did some background on the place before he caught the bus home. But you're right, if he blurts out some random fact that can be easily checked and blows it, I'd be pissed.

That’s absolutely true.  And that will obviously come back as a thorn in the side of that assistant DA.   But for now it is actually quite possible that she drops it because the actual district attorney of Albuquerque will freak the fuck out   If they learn that she is wasting resources manpower and time on chasing down this ghost  of Louisiana   That senior  DA will want to continue to have favor with the judge I told her to fix it and go away

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Remember, the entire Breaking Bad series takes place over just a 2 year period. September 2008 - September 2010. 

Given Kim’s action in the episode last night,  my guess is that she’s in prison while Breaking Bad is playing out. She could have just as easily left town. But I doubt she’s dead. No way Saul Goodman is happy go lucky in Breaking Bad after losing his older brother to suicide and his girlfriend / best friend. 

Kim dying on Better Call Saul would be a very dark place for a relativelt upbeat series to go. 

I don't know where I read it so not really a spoiler more of an observation. It has been said in multiple interviews and recaps that just because Kim isn't on Breaking Bad means she's dead or in jail. There can be a ton of other scenarios that would make sense on why she isn't around. I wouldn't put so much stock in her having to end up with one of those two outcomes at the closure of BCS. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I don't know where I read it so not really a spoiler more of an observation. It has been said in multiple interviews and recaps that just because Kim isn't on Breaking Bad means she's dead or in jail. There can be a ton of other scenarios that would make sense on why she isn't around. I wouldn't put so much stock in her having to end up with one of those two outcomes at the closure of BCS. 

I agree.  Saul's role in BB only shows his working life.  No idea where he lives, who he lives with, etc.  Running at the end might have been to protect her and his seeming depression in Nebraska could be a result of having to leave her behind.  Or she gets killed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

I have been torn on that topic since breaking bad    Where those laundry workers scared undocumented’s  where those laundry workers scared undocumenteds  that wouldn’t dare bring up anything they saw for fear of deportation or worse at the hands of gus 

But Gus being as meticulous as he is ,  why have 50 illegals in plain sight of your distributors, vendors, inspectors, code checkers, and possibly ICE, et al.  If they’re working on top of that kind of asset?   We know from breaking bad the lab was very well hidden   But somebody might break under questioning   Or some building inspector may just noticed the floor sounds different when he walks from one area to another 

Yep.  as cautious as Gus is about everything, you would think he would be worried about the laundry workers as well.  Unless they all have all been sufficiently scared in advance and not some rumor that you need to be quiet or else.    Gus isn't only cautious about not being arrested but he wants to be the upstanding citizen that everyone thinks is just a hardworking fast food owner.   We know he succeeds in not even being on the radar of law enforcement.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

That’s absolutely true.  And that will obviously come back as a thorn in the side of that assistant DA.   But for now it is actually quite possible that she drops it because the actual district attorney of Albuquerque will freak the fuck out   If they learn that she is wasting resources manpower and time on chasing down this ghost  of Louisiana   That senior  DA will want to continue to have favor with the judge I told her to fix it and go away

I think this is possible, plus you remember how upset the judge was with it and the assistant DA knows that.  Doubt he would be too happy if he knew the truth and how he pushed them to work it out quickly.  Plus I could see this a Jimmy getting away with this one to give him more confidence to push onto the next.

once she made the offer to kim, and kim accepted on behalf of huell, isn't it over?  i doubt the ada would want to go back and do even more research (i thought 3 separate phone calls was excessive and unrealistic, but made for great tv), and even if she found something, what could she do with it at that point? 

the story told to her was just background color and flavor that made her realize it wasn't worth it, especially if there would be protests and shit.  if the story was made up, for whatever reason, then what difference would it make at that point?  it's not like it was planted or falsified evidence used in a court case.

^

yep,  building out a website for bullshit purposes (no offense to the Agnors), a pretend gofundme acct), and doing prank calls on the receiving end when not under subpeonea/oath, nothing wrong with that at all. It would agitate an ADA, but again her boss would likely want resources properly deployed on more hardened cases like their work with the DEA in ABQ.

Now the mail fraud thing is serious shit.  Weird because I was reading an article about how even from the same pen company, ink in different parts of the country has a different “fingerprint” in it so that law enforcement can determine where it’s from in an investigation.  Kinda like printer toner.  I’ve been taking two pens from every hotel in forty plus states and a dozen countries since I was in elementary school.  I rotate a random number of them between office, home, car, and laptop bag.  Never using the same one for more than a few weeks.  And mixing in store boughts and web ordered pens as well.  /csb

Seriously though I watch the episode again.     Vince is meticulous attention to every detail in every episode ,  and the fucking opening scene- The same African-American man in yellow walks past Jimmy and Kim left to right within 5 to 10 seconds of himself .     Was not a looping mistake on film and there was nowhere for him to walk around them in a circle.   I’ve never seen anything like that on the show how did that happen

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Now the mail fraud thing is serious shit.  Weird because I was reading an article about how even from the same pen company, ink in different parts of the country has a different “fingerprint” in it so that law enforcement can determine where it’s from in an investigation.  Kinda like printer toner.  I’ve been taking two pens from every hotel in forty plus states and a dozen countries since I was in elementary school.  I rotate a random number of them between office, home, car, and laptop bag.  Never using the same one for more than a few weeks.  And mixing in store boughts and web ordered pens as well.  /csb

Jesus, are you planning on being the next Unabomber?  That's some weird shit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Nacho and Kim are among the best characters, and I think it ends poorly for both. We would have seen Nacho in Breaking Bad, and too much of a stretch to have Kim around during the same time. I think others posted, guessing Kim's demise pushed Jimmy fully over the edge to Saul: from small-time hustler to big-time hustler.

I know this has been mentioned in previous BCS threads, but yeah, there is a good reason we don't see Ignacio "Nacho" Varga in Breaking Bad.  He does something (or something happens to him) before we enter the Breaking Bad years.

it's still humorous to me that people say things like, "well, we know something happens to nacho because he's not in breaking bad."

during the shooting of breaking bad, if you walked up to vince gilligan and said, "why isn't nacho in this story?"  the answer wouldn't be 'because something happened' to him.  the answer would be, "who the f are you talking about?"  this isn't some graphic novel or historical fiction.  nacho was created for better call saul.

that said, they seem to really cater to the breaking bad fans, so i'm sure the kim and nacho storylines will be decided definitively by the time the timeline reaches anywhere close to overlapping.  god forbid they have to deal with the internets wanting to know why gilligan and crew couldn't see the future.

as much as it's the most realistic to just have kim not appear in breaking bad because we barely saw jimmy/saul at all and never saw his personal life, i'm 100% positive they will tie it up in a bow for the fans.

Something is probably going to happen to Kim and Nacho because this is a drama and they are major characters.   Among the few for whom there is real suspense because we don't know their fate.  I mean, it would be like Breaking Bad ending with the various drug interests letting Walt and Jesse just walk away and retire or whatever.   Something big is likely to happen because that's the point of making a TV show. 

53 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Something is probably going to happen to Kim and Nacho because this is a drama and they are major characters.   Among the few for whom there is real suspense because we don't know their fate.  I mean, it would be like Breaking Bad ending with the various drug interests letting Walt and Jesse just walk away and retire or whatever.   Something big is likely to happen because that's the point of making a TV show. 

That's kind of how I was thinking about it. Would be sort of odd if in S5E3 Kim and Jimmy just broke up, and we never saw her again. Maybe - but this isn't GRRRRRMartin.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see those pajamas, because for a second--the way she was shifting around with the sheet, I thought she was gonna do that time-honored 80's tradition of wrapping herself up in the sheet to make her way to the bathroom.  And I'd like to think Vince Gilligan, et. al. are above those kinds of cliches.  

19 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

it's still humorous to me that people say things like, "well, we know something happens to nacho because he's not in breaking bad."

during the shooting of breaking bad, if you walked up to vince gilligan and said, "why isn't nacho in this story?"  the answer wouldn't be 'because something happened' to him.  the answer would be, "who the f are you talking about?"  this isn't some graphic novel or historical fiction.  nacho was created for better call saul.

that said, they seem to really cater to the breaking bad fans, so i'm sure the kim and nacho storylines will be decided definitively by the time the timeline reaches anywhere close to overlapping.  god forbid they have to deal with the internets wanting to know why gilligan and crew couldn't see the future.

as much as it's the most realistic to just have kim not appear in breaking bad because we barely saw jimmy/saul at all and never saw his personal life, i'm 100% positive they will tie it up in a bow for the fans.

I think Gilligan chose Ignacio from BB, because he knew it was a character that BB didn't develop, but Saul knows him and references knowledge of him and a crime.

I also think than "something" will happen to him, but that doesn't mean he dies.  The show has already revealed that he has fake Canadian documents for himself and his father.  Gilligan has said he doesn't throw curveballs at the audience.  He might just disappear, at the end, but his Saul's memory of him in the BB era was vivid, not of someone who disappeared 3 years prior.

The fact that Saul blames whatever crime he thinks he's about to die for on Ignacio, and then assumes that Walt and Jesse are Lalo's guys, seems to me that Nacho will definitely be on the wrong side of the Salamancas at some point.  It would also indicate that Nacho is still alive at that point.

Doesn’t mean he is alive. Could be dead and either Saul doesn’t known it or he knows it and wants to absolve himself of any responsibility and save his own neck.

That is true.  I have a feeling that with the fake IDs, money in the safe, etc., Nacho is going to be using Saul's services at some point.  Maybe the vacuum salesman as well.

and off topic, but I went to go watch that scene on youtube, and the "next up" was the train robbery, goddam, BB was so good.

Edited by UTCzech III

2 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

That is true.  I have a feeling that with the fake IDs, money in the safe, etc., Nacho is going to be using Saul's services at some point.  Maybe the vacuum salesman as well.

When/How does Jimmy/Saul find out about the vacuum salesman and his services.  In BB he already has his card and info, so making this connection for someone else may be in the BCS future.

• Like 1