All things Nachos!!

Hook1997

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

Noach

Where is this? Those are some solid nachos. Basic, and the meat/cheese/chip ratio looks good. Proper ratio is one of the most important keys to the nacho

Edited by mycox

Subscribed.  Great thread.  Haven't made nachos at the house in a while, but I'm a fan of the "individual nacho with care" stance.  But, I don't turn down a big pile o' nachos, either.  A few observations:

-Need to have proper chip to topping ratio.  Nothing worse than a huge pile of chips and meager toppings.

-Grated cheese then melted under a broiler is a must.  No queso type cheese.

-I'm OK if the last few chips are a bit soggy, but can't be the whole pile.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 4:33 PM, Errestaurants said:

In Fort Worth Benito's has the best nachos. Nice thick homemade chips. Large pieces of chicken and good amount of beans and cheese on every chip. Fresh or pickled jalapenos. 

To me nachos have to be beans and cheese on every chip. Not a big plate of chips with beans and cheese and lettuce thrown on top. 

This so much.  If you don't put down a single layer of chips, and put toppings on each one, you're not really trying.  And beans make a huge difference; I always put them on mine when I whip up a batch.

• Like 1

One time my mom went to make a tray of nachos for the kids on movie night.  She had run out of tortilla chips and instead used nacho cheese Doritos.  Topped off with some ranch style beans put through the food processor and a shit ton of cheddar.  

To this day, it may have been the greatest highlight of her culinary career.

• Like 2

On June 10, 2018 at 11:00 PM, conVINCEd said:

Anyone who supports the big plate of chips with a bunch of crap poured over the top is a fucking communist.  Each individual nacho should be prepared with care.  A proper bean to cheese ratio on each chip, plus whatever topping you care to include (beef, pork, shrimp, chicken, etc.)

Looks like The Surly is full of Communists. lol 

goddammit...i’ve been doing so good on my diet and workouts. dropped 12 the right way over the last 6 weeks. looking like a mean, lean, pussy getting machine.

but this thread has caused me to have some pulled pork naoch with local cheddar and fresh japs in the oven, to be topped with vocado, homemade salsa, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

fuck being a recovering drug addict who can’t say no.

On 6/10/2018 at 7:29 PM, ScottishHorn said:

Best nachos I ever had was this place on Boliver that piled a huge amount of blue crap over chips with cheese on top.  Pretty amazing. 

On 6/11/2018 at 12:34 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

those were at Mama Teresa's Flying Pizza...and they were indeed extremely legit.

Not Decoux's?  That place had amazing crab meat nachos.

11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Finominal thread. And I just realized I have nachofileoma - anxiety over having to precisely pull a nacho from a pile whilst still capturing sufficient toppings on the chip.

This is one reason why the well-formed single nacho is about a bazillion times better than the pile o' crap nacho.

Edited by utee94

13 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

goddammit...i’ve been doing so good on my diet and workouts. dropped 12 the right way over the last 6 weeks[/b]. looking like a mean, lean, pussy getting machine.

So 2 inches a week?

Edited by Underdog

+1 on the HEB homemade tortilla chips for home nachos, they are crispy and thick, so very hard to get them soggy.

+1 for piles of nachos. Take the extra second to layer the toppings sure, but single chip nachos are for mid-west pansies.

My favorites in the area:

1. Juana Taco (truck off 11th street), best in town. Pancho-style, fajita, beans, cheese, guac, diced tomato/onion. Perfection.

2. Taco Palenque (Nachos or Panchos) in San Marcos (south TX chain you can find in Houston, Laredo, RGV). Probably my favorite around, real fajita meat, beans, cheese, guac.

3. Super Burrito (and if really in a pinch, Taco Cabana).

17 hours ago, mycox said:

Taco Cabana nocahes after a long night of drinking is delicious. No pics because it looks disgusting but tastes great

I use to slay these during college.  Top with fajita meat, and throw some flour tortillas in.  Fuck. I can feel my triglycerides cringing at the thought. 

7 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

+1 for piles of nachos. Take the extra second to layer the toppings sure, but single chip nachos are for mid-west pansies.

If by "mid-west" you mean "anything midwest of Veracruz" then... I guess?

12 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Take it up with the guy who invented them, tough guy: individually frying tortilla triangles, topping them with cheese, running it under the broiler, and a slice of jalapeño on each.

Don't know if it's still there but used to eat at Herrera's, a hole in the wall Mexican place in Dallas across from the jail on Oak Lawn. They did 'Crazy Nachos' which were bean, beef, chicken, cheese, guacamole and japs. They were killer. Didn't serve beer but you could bring your own cooler in, no shit's given. Place got really popular and the line would wrap around the building which sucked but at least you had your on beverage of choice.