Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
RollLeft

South Padre Island

We frequent Port A/ Corpus more often than Galveston for beach and other reasons but this summer we decided to go down a little further to SPI.  We're glad we did.  The weather has been beautiful this week and fishing plentiful.  It is pretty amazing the difference just a few miles down the gulf coast makes.  The beach has been better than expected.  I don't remember my last trip here as it was during college.  The water is clear, the food good and the people friendly and hospitable.   

Womens had the “bright” idea to try and go over on the Saturday of Memorial weekend. 

Traffic was backed up past the wind farm. Needless to say they got an, “I told ya” and we turned around. 

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

We frequent Port A/ Corpus more often than Galveston for beach and other reasons but this summer we decided to go down a little further to SPI.  We're glad we did.  The weather has been beautiful this week and fishing plentiful.  It is pretty amazing the difference just a few miles down the gulf coast makes.  The beach has been better than expected.  I don't remember my last trip here as it was during college.  The water is clear, the food good and the people friendly and hospitable.   

Yep, it's been incredible all week, the surf was absolutely flat on Saturday and crystal clear. And we crushed the trout.

4 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Next time  you do this, if you do... Let me know, my cousin is a fishing guide there.

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Next time  you do this, if you do... Let me know, my cousin is a fishing guide there.

Thanks friend, will do.

10 hours ago, RollLeft said:

It's pretty awesome. Gets a bad rap because of the spring break crowd. But I guess that's good because it keeps it affordable and not too crowded the rest of the year.

HAven't been in 20+ years but looking at going down there in July. We need a place that can take dogs and houses 5 people. We'd like to be beach front.  Any thoughts about the best area to stay in?

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

HAven't been in 20+ years but looking at going down there in July. We need a place that can take dogs and houses 5 people. We'd like to be beach front.  Any thoughts about the best area to stay in?

We are doing that in July as well. I grew up in the area, honestly SPI is not that big. Find a airbnb/homeaway that allows pets and be good to go. 

If you are looking for a hotel, the Hilton Garden inn and the La Quinta on the very north end are good because the fireworks happen right there so you get a great view.