Yes: Pools are worth it....

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

The thread seems to promise that pools are "worth it", yet there seems to be a lot of bitching about constant maintenance and shit breaking causing wallets to decrease in size. Are you sure you're not talking about Boats?

Something can be worth it and still a pain in the ass at times. People also don't tend to post "swam both days this weekend. Pool felt great, weather was perfect, equipment running fine. Friend bought new GF over with giant knockers..."

50 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Something can be worth it and still a pain in the ass at times. People also don't tend to post "swam both days this weekend. Pool felt great, weather was perfect, equipment running fine. Friend bought new GF over with giant knockers..."

Can we all start doing this then?  With pics of course...

10 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Who’s the builder?

Premier Pools and Spas, North Austin franchise.

Quality has been top notch for what they have built.  Just not progressing fast enough with a few 30-day gaps in major steps.

Edited by TexasEd

Yeah that’s got to be frustrating with summer right here.  I signed with Cody mainly because they were the only company that didn’t completely ignore me. It wasn’t really my intention to go with the biggest company but I’m hoping that gives them a little more pull with the subs. Time almost isn’t an issue since mine will probably be done in the middle Of winter. 

22 hours ago, swraith said:

Any of you want to claim this pool? (hoping this wasn't posted previously upthread).

25 Meter (Short Course) Backyard Lap Pool Construction Timelapse

The TFP forum read is pretty good too, especially as pools just getting finished and hurricane Harvey shows up. Also the bobcat drivers can't get enough credit for the tight spaces they steer through. On this build looks to be less than a foot clearance (in width).

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/new-build-in-west-houston-area-pb.137367

Also, here is a sketch the architect did.  The black squiggly lines are rough dimensions of the canopies on the live oaks.  Also, we decided to make the pool a couple of feet narrower since this drawing was done, which is why the dimensions don't line up with what's in my post above:
2009010067_DesignSketch2-BackyardOnly.thumb.jpg.4a444ebaa85251c7a4acde5b89ea9246.jpg

I got a verbal number back on the pool bid. Waiting for more detail, but let’s just say I’m sticker shocked and will be soliciting other bids as soon as I can find someone else to bid it. I know it’s a large-ish pool, but $250k seems a bit steep. Is that what you guys are paying?

On 5/26/2021 at 4:59 PM, TexasEd said:

Six months in and still waiting for the concrete patio. 37 adys since they started building those forms.

C328A36F-F62A-4BC4-9A2B-719D0AF88BE2.png

I'm not sure where you are located, but I've had almost 37 straight days of rain here in Austin. Which not only means they can't pour your patio, but they also can't pour anybody else lined up in front of you.

21 hours ago, BTW said:

I got a verbal number back on the pool bid. Waiting for more detail, but let’s just say I’m sticker shocked and will be soliciting other bids as soon as I can find someone else to bid it. I know it’s a large-ish pool, but $250k seems a bit steep. Is that what you guys are paying?

is that 250k just for the pool, or does it include some of the patio, etc ??

11 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Thoughts on pool depth? Right now I have it at 3.5 /5/4

Smaller pool is 18x23

I would do 5 foot all the way but would like the kids to be able to stand up

Given the problems everyone seems to be having, I think it’s probably a safe bet that they will be tall enough by the time they actually get to swim in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

Smaller pool is 18x23

I think those depths are fine....there are times where you just want to be waist deep with a cocktail socializing and other times where you want it a little deeper.

5 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Smaller pool is 18x23

My pool guy claims that if you go to any pool and watch people, they will wander and settle in to about mid chest deep and that's where they generally hang out. Makes sense I guess. 

4 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

My pool guy claims that if you go to any pool and watch people, they will wander and settle in to about mid chest deep and that's where they generally hang out. Makes sense I guess. 

Only when we're about to pee

• Like 1

So tomorrow's the big day - going to pick coping and tile. Planning on SWG, still mulling over choices. It's coming down to lueder limestone or travertine - both of which I've seen mixed messaging on whether they are "ok" to use around a salt pool. Anybody able to set my mind at ease about either option? 

3 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

So tomorrow's the big day - going to pick coping and tile. Planning on SWG, still mulling over choices. It's coming down to lueder limestone or travertine - both of which I've seen mixed messaging on whether they are "ok" to use around a salt pool. Anybody able to set my mind at ease about either option? 

I had the same decision to make and chose Travertine.  I think it is a little harder. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Salt is not what is going to mess up your stuff.  It’s uncontrolled PH.  SWG do increase PH so just make sure you stay on top of PH and add acid as needed.  Use the Pool Math app and do it all yourself.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

In Texas, the darker stone is more dense so Lueder's (from Lueder, TX) is a little denser limestone. I think the darker chocolate stuff comes from Oklahoma and is still a little more dense but it has been a few years since I have purchased. I would have to go back to my guy off of Anderson Mill to confirm. I have a retaining wall of Lueder's and it flakes some during the season, but nothing that I am concerned with. The travertine tile and coping have been fine.

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Salt is not what is going to mess up your stuff.  It’s uncontrolled PH.  SWG do increase PH so just make sure you stay on top of PH and add acid as needed.  Use the Pool Math app and do it all yourself.

If you are going with Pentair, I have liked the Intellichem system for acid (If you can find someone competent to set it up). It has a maybe 3-gallon tank that I mix 50/50 with acid and water and the Intellichem takes care of the rest and adds the acid as needed. Just use a saltwater system for the chlorine. The Intellichem chlorinator just adds an unnecessary level of complexity.

38 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

04c17a5390d5c9b063f83578ffd6acd5.jpg

I know I could pull it out and use dek-o-seal but I feel confident I’d Jack it up.

Should not be too hard. Clean it out and then caulk it in. Trick is to do it slow don’t get impatient trying to go too fast. You can mask the sides if you need to. 

Reaching out for advice from the pool veterans here.

We bought our house in the Houston area a year ago with pool.  We just noticed our pool heater has gone out.  I am assuming the deep freeze in February is to blame.  The quote to replace the heater came in at $3,388.

Questions:

- Is this about right to replace?

- If not, is it due to so many heaters being damaged in the freeze and availability is scarce thus driving up the price?

- Any shot at getting my extended home warranty (covers pool equipment) to cover it, or will it be denied based on a weather act?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

We bought our house in the Houston area a year ago with pool.  We just noticed our pool heater has gone out.  I am assuming the deep freeze in February is to blame.  The quote to replace the heater came in at $3,388.

Questions:

- If not, is it due to so many heaters being damaged in the freeze and availability is scarce thus driving up the price?

- Any shot at getting my extended home warranty (covers pool equipment) to cover it, or will it be denied based on a weather act?

Thanks.

Heat pumps are much more expensive than heaters. A typical gas heater costs about $2900 for a 400K BTU plus install which is easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Questions:

Thanks.

BTU size makes a difference.   that price for a 400k BTU is exceptional.   As long as its Hayward, pentair,  jandy, starite or raypak.   Manufacture price went up 6% in March and probably another 5-10% in 60 days or less.  

• Hook 'Em 1