Tell me about the University of Southern California

Zavala

On 4/30/2022 at 6:53 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yep, no way to stop it now other than structure changes from the top. Can't fault the players here for taking the money now, but the game won't be same and I don't think majority of fans will care for it.

I think reinstating an ironclad sit out for 1 year rule would stop it cold.  None of these newly minted athletic supporters is for pay to wait.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

I think reinstating an ironclad sit out for 1 year rule would stop it cold.  None of these newly minted athletic supporters is for pay to wait.

Yeah, I agree with them sitting out a year to switch schools unless they are grad transfers...  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know that this type of stuff will happen, but damn man. Lincoln is a real piece of shit about it. He's the biggest tamperer of all.

Also, gonna see a lot of players staying in college now. Better pay, you can move around whenever you want, no salary cap.....why do they need scholarships anymore?

The NFL is no longer "making it".

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I know that this type of stuff will happen, but damn man. Lincoln is a real piece of shit about it. He's the biggest tamperer of all.

Also, gonna see a lot of players staying in college now. Better pay, you can move around whenever you want, no salary cap.....why do they need scholarships anymore?

The NFL is no longer "making it".

Not really it'll just be a long overdue reform to rookie contracts and perhaps league minimum. 

38 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That wouldn’t be legally enforceable, so no. 

59 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You gonna be seeing a Non-Compete Clause in those contracts? You can go to another school if you wanna go, but no NC2A football for you. 

Probably not but haven't some collectives started buying "exclusive NIL rights" to guys? Like TN with that high school QB. Because if so, that effectively prevents them from leaving for NIL purposes, although they could still leave and play elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Probably not but haven't some collectives started buying "exclusive NIL rights" to guys? Like TN with that high school QB. Because if so, that effectively prevents them from leaving for NIL purposes, although they could still leave and play elsewhere.

They only get exclusive rights if they keep paying, which I doubt they would do since they’d rather free up the 2 mil to go get someone else. So the players’ agents know they can effectively free up their client to make more by transferring. 

30 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Think the courts will permit restraining a player from his livelihood?

Well, if you dont make your grades you cant play. But sitting out a year may be on the gray side of things.  I hope they would be in favor of it. 

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Always knew Lincoln was a scumbag. He's truly showing his ass to the nation. I hope he never wins a Pac 12 title. 

He will win it next year and just about every year thereafter. He’s got the pocketbook of one of the richest alumni bases in the country that is showing its willing to spend to purchase a championship.

Pencil in USC here on oout for multiple playoff appearances.  They will buy the talent necessary to beat SEC teams. People are just not understanding the massive change unmanaged NIL is bringing to the sport.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

He will win it next year and just about every year thereafter. He’s got the pocketbook of one of the richest alumni bases in the country that is showing its willing to spend to purchase a championship.

Pencil in USC here on oout for multiple playoff appearances.  They will buy the talent necessary to beat SEC teams. People are just not understanding the massive change unmanaged NIL is bringing to the sport.

He was probably brought in with the understanding that he was expected to take advantage of every loophole and push (or blow past) all the limits on bringing in the top players... 

Lincoln hasn’t done well against the SEC. I don’t expect that to change. Money and college athletes are no guarantee of any success, and tends to make fools of those fund them.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Don't be so sure. He still has to get past Oregon and Utah. Also don't count out UCLA. Dorian Thompson-Robinson absolutely lit up the trojan defense last year. Made em look like a broken condom. 

On 5/1/2022 at 6:14 PM, LTtxfan said:

Really hope this season turns into a disaster for Lincoln Riley...

USC signs top 20 linebacker Eric Gentry from college football transfer portal

James Parks  23 hrs ago

USC and Lincoln Riley continue to build the Trojans' roster through the college football transfer portal, with former Arizona State linebacker Eric Gentry the latest to join the program.

Gentry was a consensus top 20 player in the transfer portal prior to his commitment to USC, choosing the Trojans over Miami, Georgia, Texas, Penn State, and others.

Gentry played in 12 of 13 games as a true freshman, finishing the season with 45 combined tackles, five tackles for loss, a sack, one quarterback hurry, and two pass breakups.

The outside linebacker is the third roster addition for USC since the end of spring football, joining former 2023 running back A'Marion Peterson and former Ohio State transfer defensive back Bryson Shaw.

Gentry figures to step in right away as an edge rushing presence alongside former Alabama transfer linebacker Shane Lee. Returning starter Ralen Goforth and redshirt freshman Raesjon Davis are likely to feature at the weak side position, as well.

Gentry, originally from the Philadelphia area, was a top 50 edge rusher as a recruit, and his addition propelled USC back to the No. 1 position in most college football transfer rankings this offseason.

USC football transfer portal additions

• Eric Gentry, linebacker (Arizona State)
  • Bryson Shaw, safety (Ohio State)
  • Travis Dye, running back (Oregon)
  • Romello Height, linebacker (Auburn)
  • Shane Lee, linebacker (Alabama)
  • Austin Jones, running back (Stanford)
  • Latrell McCutchin, cornerback (Oklahoma)
  • Mekhi Blackmon, cornerback (Colorado)
  • Mario Williams, wide receiver (Oklahoma)
  • Caleb Williams, quarterback (Oklahoma)
  • Brenden Rice, wide receiver (Colorado)
  • Terrell Bynum, wide receiver (Washington)

I am quite annoyed we don't get a warmup period while SC rebuilds, even Pete Carrol lost his first game vs Boob Davies.  But now SC gets a LA Lakers like staff complete with a star QB who 'knows the system.'

On 5/1/2022 at 9:16 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

I heard that Pitt matched the $2,000,000 offer and that it is now up to 2.5. I also heard Pitt called Aaron Donald & Fitz to help. We shall see what happens.

USC and Pitt aren't offering anybody anything. Schools don't offer NIL deals. Brands offer the deals. 

On 5/3/2022 at 6:25 AM, JFKFC said:

Instead of bitching, we need to be doing what LR is doing. We won't. We will fall behind, again. 

Yeah, he's playing the cards dealt, and he has enormous advantages being in LA.  Btw, one of Williams NIL deals is with a private equity firm that was founded by and run by a Stanford grad. 

2 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

USC and Pitt aren't offering anybody anything. Schools don't offer NIL deals. Brands offer the deals. 

Well yeah, we all know that it is not the schools.

But, these deals are not getting done in a vacuum. Boosters and coaches have contact. Athletic directors and boosters have contact. We know.

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Well yeah, we all know that it is not the schools.

But, these deals are not getting done in a vacuum. Boosters and coaches have contact. Athletic directors and boosters have contact. We know.

That's certainly true in some cases, but USC has to be more careful than anyone. No one at USC wants to go through what they went through after the Bush scandal. It destroyed their program. 

On 5/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, Woodrow Call said:

In another epoch, someone was deemed a representative of the university because she paid $25 to join a fan club that held a monthly breakfast, at a diner where that $25  would feed 5 people. 

4 hours ago, AllenTx75 said:

OU will more under Brent Venables than under Riley

OU is falling all over themselves and into their bag of dicks on NIL. I believe OU is about to start the long, slow, painful descent that Texas has been on for the last decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

OU is falling all over themselves and into their bag of dicks on NIL. I believe OU is about to start the long, slow, painful descent that Texas has been on for the last decade.
They have their first true top to bottom coaching change in decades.

Poor bastards have no clue what they're in for, and I'm loving every second of it

The best part about this Lincoln Riley business is watching the OU hive mind in this state flail around and clutch their pearls at his every move since he left.

Of course, it hasn’t occurred to any of them that he was the same fucking scumbag the whole time he was at OU. 

• Haha 1

Lincoln Riley has quickly become the man everyone outside USC loves to hate

Matt Zemek  8 hrs ago

It is very clear that Lincoln Riley has become a lightning rod since he was hired as USC’s head football coach. Fans across the country have already made the decision to put the black hat on his head. He is an all-purpose villain for various fan bases, and not just those inside the Pac-12.

AASnRy5.img?h=584&w=874&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Oklahoma fans were obviously upset with Riley after his departure from Norman. That’s completely understandable, and contextually unique. OU fans were abandoned by Riley; their displeasure is legitimate because Riley broke up that relationship when he wasn’t expected to.

As for other fan bases, they’re simply very sensitive about Riley’s position at USC and what it means within the larger workings of college football.

Pittsburgh has become a central source of loathing toward Riley. Jordan Addison, the star Pitt receiver, has not made any decision on where he will transfer. Yet, tampering charges and an unholy outcry have been directed at Riley. A “shoot first, ask questions later” approach has governed this series of events.

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News commented on this ready tendency to assign villain status to Riley:

"Riley’s emergence as the head coach fans across the country love to hate is good for USC and good for the Pac-12.  As long as he doesn’t embarrass the school with NCAA rules violations or asinine comments (to the media or on social media), Riley can thrive at USC as a “villain” while the conference indirectly benefits from the attention."

We agree. When everyone else hates a coach — it could be at any school or professional sports team — it’s clear that coach is relevant and formidable and has inspired a fear of his success and potential dominance.

This is where USC needs to be.  😋

I mean, Bellytat is a huge Douchebag.   But USC is a historically better program than OU and Southern California if infinitely better than mobilehoma.   He peaked out at OU and moved while he was still able to upgrade, got more money and a rich fan base that’s getting thirsty again.   

Hes easy to dislike but that was a smart move by a guy with a smart agent.   Would you rather be a mid sized fish in the pacific or the big fish is a murky pasture tank with several sleeveless meth heads drinking natural light while noodling for dinner?