Predict Texas Football's 2018 Record

gmr548

Predict Texas Football's 2018 Record  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Texas will finish the regular season with a record of...

11 days from kick - training camp is over, the two-deep is set, and game prep has begun. It is time to call your shot.

I'm going 7-5. Honestly, it's hard to even justify, because this team should be better than that, but you'd be pretty damn accurate over the past five years or so by taking a couple games off of whatever the prevailing opinion of the fanbase is.

@MD - W. Despite the turmoil, Maryland is not without talent and they will obviously believe damn well they can win despite the big spread. Tighter than expected, fans get a bit riled up.

Tulsa - W. Not a bad team for a G5 cupcake - competitive first half, Texas pulls away in the third, get a look at the youngsters in the 4th.

USC - L. Tossup to me but I need to find five losses. Team will be competitive but not quite ready for the big time. Sounds a little too familiar...

TCU - L. Four straight losses by a total of 153-33, Texas scoring no more than 10 points during that stretch. TCU won the game on cruise control last year. I'm gonna need to see a W to believe it at this point.

@KSU - L. The last time Texas won in Manhattan I was 10 years old. I am 26. Should win on paper to be honest, but same as above, I'm gonna need to see it to believe it. Definitely not picking it.

OU - W. OU sucks. 3-3 isn't what anyone hoped for, but everyone loves winning this game.

Baylor - W. Also sucks, feels like a bit of momentum is being built.

@OSU - L. Another toss up that I am using to get to five. Could see us get caught flat out of the bye after starting to feel good about ourselves and overlooking an OSU team that is perceived to have taken a significant step back.

WVU - L. WVU comes in 8-0 and Grier makes up for last year by making a statement on the road. 4-5, bowl looking iffy.

@Tech - W. Losing coach going to feel some extraordinary heat. Fortunately, as scary as Lubbock is to some teams, Tech has done their damage in Austin recently.

ISU - W. They are well coached, but Texas has superior talent and depth towards the end of a long season.

@KU - W. Might suck to play Kansas as an also ran on Thanksgiving weekend, but at least we can enjoy the first trip to Lawrence since 2014 since the 2016 game was weirdly cancelled at the last minute and never played.

Win the bowl against a middle of the road P5 that can't match the talent and athleticism, much like the Texas bowl last year. Another offseason believing next year is "the" year...

Hope I'm wrong on each of the L's.

• Like 1

My previous prediction, for reference: 

Still think 7-5 is the most likely scenario assuming no catastrophic injuries. I don't trust our O-line in pass pro although we should now have some semblance of a running game. We're paper-thin at LB and not especially deep overall in the front 7. Skill position-wise we'll be relying on the same guys as last year for the bulk of our offensive production, and Beck is still OC although who knows if he'll be playcaller for very long.

Probable losses to USC, TCU, K-State, blOU, and WVU. 

@MD - Win. 
Tulsa - Win.
USC - Win.
TCU - Win.
@KSU - Win.
OU - Win.
Baylor - Win.
@OSU - Win.
WVU - Win.

@Tech - Win. 
ISU - Win.
@KU - Win.

C'mon yall. Balls on the table. The home schedule plays to our favor, as all of the teams that I think could give us a run (USC, TCU, WVU, ISU) are visiting DKR. OU, OSU, KSU, and Tech are all breaking in new quarterbacks. And always remember, OU Sucks.

Edited by Tired of Lurking
  • Like 2

I picked 8-4 in April. What's changed?

• Players are bigger and stronger than ever, as always. With all the joking that accompanies that statement, I actually am a believer in what Yancy's doing, and more generally that our modernized S&C program is going to make a difference at some point in the season.
  • We picked up a much-needed talent and seniority infusion at RB in Tre Watson.
  • Chris Nelson and Devin Duvernay look like they're sticking around for this season.
  • Lost a few players to transfer, but of those only Bonney was on the two-deep
  • We might just have something cooking with some of these true freshmen, particularly Sterns, Ossai, Jamison, and J. Moore.
  • We have a primary platoon of RBs that does not include Kyle Porter
  • LB depth has been gutted

On balance, though, the team is largely the same as it was in the spring, and that's altogether not a bad thing. I generally like what we've got in the starting 22, and our second-team defense would give some offenses all they can handle, too. I'd feel much better about our chances without the three stooges on the offensive coaching staff, but I do think there is something to be said for continuity. The QBs will not be world-beaters, but I hold out some hope that they won't shoot themselves in the foot so often, and allow an improved running game and tough defense to keep us in every contest. That gauntlet of USC, TCU, @KSU, OU, still looks like the season-defining stretch. I have a hard time seeing us get out of that with better than a 2-2 record. If we do, and Herman keeps the WTF losses in the other 8 games, we're cooking with gas. I'm sticking with 8-4, but I do think the floor for this team is a little higher than I envisioned a few months ago.

Floor is 7-5 which would entail a record no better than 1-4 during the 4-game gauntlet plus WVU, and a WTF loss.  I just can't see the floor being lower than that and if it is, it's disastrous and Herman should be on the hot seat in Year 3.  Even at 7-5, that means we lose most or all of our toss-ups.  I can't see that either.

Ceiling is 10-2, unless Sam is miraculously improved and stays healthy.  I can't see that either, particularly with the O coaching staff.  

I picked 9-3:

@MD - W
Tulsa - W
USC - Tossup W
TCU - Tossup L
@KSU - Tossup W
OU - Tossup L
Baylor - W
@OSU - W
WVU - Tossup L

@Tech - W
ISU - W
@KU - W

I too am on the 8-4 train  too many fool me once koolaid sips from the chalice 

MD - W
Tulsa - W
USC - Tossup W
TCU - Tossup L
@KSU - W
OU - Tossup L
Baylor - W
@OSU - L 
WVU - Tossup L

@Tech - W
ISU - W
@KU - W

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 1

I voted 7-5, but I think, we're better than that.  Sadly, I think we're going to lose a couple games we shouldn't because...

...Tim Beck is still our Offensive Coordinator

Between Beck and Watson, I yearn for the days of GDGD.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

@MD - Win: We are better than them. We have a revenge factor going for us. They are going through some turmoil. Passing game is going to look good. 
Tulsa - Win. Running game appears to be improving. Offense looks balanced. 2 Special Team TDs. 
USC - Win. First game in awhile that Texas looks complete. Texas by 10. 
TCU - Loss. Texas has a USC hangover. However, the game is exceptionally close. The recent DT loss for TCU may change this prediction. 
@KSU - Win. Texas rebounds in a big way. 
OU - Win. OT thriller in which Sam runs in the winning TD, after D holds OU to a FG. 
Baylor - Win. Low scoring, but running game gets it done. 
@OSU - Win. Defense holds OSU to 10. 
WVU - Win. Offense goes crazy. Texas wins 56-31

@Tech - Win. KK was fired the week before. Texas rolls. 
ISU - Win. ISU has no more gas in the tank, or athletes to overcome how beat up they are. Texas wins by 10 in the most boring game of the year. 
@KU - Win. Mudhole. 

Texas is first team out of college football playoff. Tom goes nuts. Recruiting goes crazy, and we flip 3 top A&M recruits that realize A&M has some shady shit going down that they dont want to be a part of (also A&M has a losing record). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longhrnfan said:

@MD - Win: We are better than them. We have a revenge factor going for us. They are going through some turmoil. Passing game is going to look good. 
Tulsa - Win. Running game appears to be improving. Offense looks balanced. 2 Special Team TDs. 
USC - Win. First game in awhile that Texas looks complete. Texas by 10. 
TCU - Loss. Texas has a USC hangover. However, the game is exceptionally close. The recent DT loss for TCU may change this prediction. 
@KSU - Win. Texas rebounds in a big way. 
OU - Win. OT thriller in which Sam runs in the winning TD, after D holds OU to a FG. 
Baylor - Win. Low scoring, but running game gets it done. 
@OSU - Win. Defense holds OSU to 10. 
WVU - Win. Offense goes crazy. Texas wins 56-31

@Tech - Win. KK was fired the week before. Texas rolls. 
ISU - Win. ISU has no more gas in the tank, or athletes to overcome how beat up they are. Texas wins by 10 in the most boring game of the year. 
@KU - Win. Mudhole. 

Texas is first team out of college football playoff. Tom goes nuts. Recruiting goes crazy, and we flip 3 top A&M recruits that realize A&M has some shady shit going down that they dont want to be a part of (also A&M has a losing record). 

If UT only loses one and wins the Big XII championship game, there's a 0% chance they get left out of the playoff.

10 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

@MD - Win. 
Tulsa - Win.
USC - Win.
TCU - Win.
@KSU - Win.
OU - Win.
Baylor - Win.
@OSU - Win.
WVU - Win.

@Tech - Win. 
ISU - Win.
@KU - Win.

C'mon yall. Balls on the table. The home schedule plays to our favor, as all of the teams that I think could give us a run (USC, TCU, WVU, ISU) are visiting DKR. OU, OSU, KSU, and Tech are all breaking in new quarterbacks. And always remember, OU Sucks.

I like the cut of your jib, sailor.

There's only one right answer, guys:

Maryland - Win
Tulsa - Win.
USC - Win.
TCU - Win.
K-State - Win.
OU - Win. (OU's only loss of the regular season)
Baylor - Win.
oSu - Win.
WVU - Win.

Tech - Win. 
ISU - Win.
KU - Win.
Big XII Championship game vs. OU - Close win in overtime

Playoffs:
1 seed Texas vs. 4 seed OU - Texas blowout win.
2 seed Bama vs. 3 seed Ohio State - tOSU wins
National Championship: Texas vs. Ohio State - Texas basically beats tOSU like we're Zach and they're Courtney.  The student has officially become the teacher.

• Like 1

-10-2 with losses to TCU and purple wizard, so win 7 in a row to end the season

-Lose the Big 12 championship. End up in the Sugar Bowl or Fiesta Bowl. Win that shit.

-Sam wins Big 12 player of the year, Hager Big 12 defensive player of the year, Stearns Big 12 freshman of the year 

-3 First Team All Americans - CJ9, Hager, Gary Johnson

-Bonus Prediction(s): aggy goes 4-8, OU 7-5

okay I’m out of Kool Aid now 

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

If UT only loses one and wins the Big XII championship game, there's a 0% chance they get left out of the playoff.

Whiffed on the Big 12 championship. I'll go with win. If we go to playoff, we lose first round. We don't yet have the guns for that yet. 

we come out of the gate strong and run up the polls with early wins (marquee win over USC), then sputter a bit and end 8-4 (7-5 on the outside).

That said, if we somehow manage to leave Dallas still undefeated......watch out.....

Edited by gecko

15 hours ago, satyanash said:

My previous prediction, for reference: 

Still think 7-5 is the most likely scenario assuming no catastrophic injuries. I don't trust our O-line in pass pro although we should now have some semblance of a running game. We're paper-thin at LB and not especially deep overall in the front 7. Skill position-wise we'll be relying on the same guys as last year for the bulk of our offensive production, and Beck is still OC although who knows if he'll be playcaller for very long.

Probable losses to USC, TCU, K-State, blOU, and WVU. 

if we don't win more than 7, tom herman is not the coach that will take texas to the top.

we're going to learn a lot about tom herman this year.

TCU / OU / WVU.... those concern me most. We could beat one of these and lose to someone else, so 9-3

TCU - at this point I don't know how anyone can count this in the "W" column... we haven't scored double digits on them since 2014

OU - likely close but they are still loaded with talent

WVU - best QB/WR combo in football. Achilles heal for us right now