What's the Shag (Surly) consensus on the HPV vaccination?

For?

Against?

On the fence?

Our kids are 11 (boy) & 13 (girl).  My wife is  probably 60% against, I'm probably 55% for.

Talk me into or out of this vaccination.  We are a pro vaccine family & don't believe the nonsense about autism, etc. being vax related.

This HPV business is an entirely different idea.

What say thee, Surly Shaggers?

I’m know some worry that sex ed encourages kids to have sex,  is that the worry that with the hpv vaccine, kids will take it as a sign from their parents that’s its ok to have sex as soon as possible?  If that’s the worry, then i think parents need to rethink their priorities.

PSA: the fda recently recommended adults up to 45 get the hpv vaccine.  It used to be 26.  It probably should be higher but they haven’t run a study on older adults yet.   I believe this should allow insurance to cover the costs.

Australia may eradicate cervical cancer by 2040 due to their free hpv vaccine program:  https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/mar/04/australia-could-become-first-country-to-eradicate-cervical-cancer

As a result, the HPV rate among women aged 18 to 24 dropped from 22.7% to 1.1% between 2005 and 2015.

I get that all parents look at their pre-teen and think that their kid will never have sex with many partners.  They will wait until they’re  25 and find the love of their life.  Perhaps have one or two other partners in a few failed relationships. Maybe that’s true.  Maybe not. Even if that is true, you can’t count on their future partners from not contracting hpv.  But you can prevent your kid from getting it. 

If there are medical concerns about the hpv vaccine, I’ve never heard of it.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the REAL controversy is how much money the mfrs were pouring into Rick Perry's pockets, among others, to get its administration required by law.

But that has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the vaccine.  Is a parent going to risk their daughter from getting cervical cancer in 30 years because they think Rick perry is corrupt?  That will show Rick that he can’t get one over on us.  

I didn't have my kids get it until they turned 18.  Didn't prevent it, just said it's up to you.  Always a bit awkward - if they take it, well then, we're telling dad something, aren't we?  If we don't take it, then go sit over there with Jugdish et. al.

Anyway once they hit 18 they were on their own.  I believe they've both taken it... not a grandpa... yet.

Both of my girls got it as soon as it was offered.  I had serious problems with Rick Perry mandating that every child had to get the vaccine, not because of the vaccine, but because of the government compulsion.  That didn't last very long.   Now parents are giving the choice.  There is no way an 11 year old and a 9 year old are going to take the HPV vaccine into account when they are deciding to have sex in the future.  

My wife's aunt died a painful death of cervical cancer - if the vaccine kept your adult child from dying this way, why wouldn't you do it.

9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I don’t see what’s different about it. 

Will your kid be celibate?  Is there any chance they will have sex for the first time before discussing their plans with you?  Is helping prevent cancer in others a positive thing in your view?

You're not  my  mom!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I didn't have my kids get it until they turned 18.  Didn't prevent it, just said it's up to you.  Always a bit awkward - if they take it, well then, we're telling dad something, aren't we?  If we don't take it, then go sit over there with Jugdish et. al.

Anyway once they hit 18 they were on their own.  I believe they've both taken it... not a grandpa... yet.

I don't see how the HPV vaccine and birth control should be considered the same?   Did you or your wife also not talk birth control with your kids until their 18th birthday?  If you did, then the logic is confusing.   And getting the HPV vaccine has nothing to do with current activity.  It's about the future when presumably 99.999% of the population has sex.

59 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't see how the HPV vaccine and birth control should be considered the same?   Did you or your wife also not talk birth control with your kids until their 18th birthday?  If you did, then the logic is confusing.   And getting the HPV vaccine has nothing to do with current activity.  It's about the future when presumably 99.999% of the population has sex.

Meh, not really a problem.  Kids would go to the docs about 13 or so for annuals, each year the doc would ask if he/she wanted it.  I let them decide.  They knew what it meant.  I trusted their judgment.  Before you say, "oh well that was your first mistake" it wasn't.  Our kids were great and I had no reason whatsoever to doubt them.  If someone still believes we were incorrect on that, all I can say is, "scoreboard.  It's over, moot, not an issue, it worked for us."  

Kids are 19 and 22 and completely on their own now for medical decisions (minus what they can't yet pay for).  So it was the right thing - for us.  No ragrets at all.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Meh, not really a problem.  Kids would go to the docs about 13 or so for annuals, each year the doc would ask if he/she wanted it.  I let them decide.  They knew what it meant.  I trusted their judgment.  Before you say, "oh well that was your first mistake" it wasn't.  Our kids were great and I had no reason whatsoever to doubt them.  If someone still believes we were incorrect on that, all I can say is, "scoreboard.  It's over, moot, not an issue, it worked for us."  

Kids are 19 and 22 and completely on their own now for medical decisions (minus what they can't yet pay for).  So it was the right thing - for us.  No ragrets at all.

Good news that your kids tested negative for HPV.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I don't know why you wouldn't want to get this vaccine for your kids. It has nothing to do with current sexual activity and everything to do with preventing cancer. 

Because the world’s #1 medical authority, Jenny McCarthy, said that my kids would start counting to potato if they were immunized.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Wait . . . "scoreboard"?  If they had sex and contracted HPV, they very likely wouldn't know it. 

I've got this (or rather I had this).
Again, my kids are grown.  I told people what I did per the OP's question.  It's over and nothing has, nor will, happen because I let my kids decide for themselves.
Scoreboard means that part of their lives is done.   They got the vaccine on their own, when they wanted to.

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, I get that, but anyone weighing the pros and cons should hear the facts.  For one thing, there is no test for HPV in men.  For another, the vaccine doesn't cure pre-existing HPV infections.

Hence why the medical community overwhelming recommends to get vaccinated as early as possible.  I don't recall the recommended age but isn't it 11 or 12?   

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hence why the medical community overwhelming recommends to get vaccinated as early as possible.  I don't recall the recommended age but isn't it 11 or 12?  

Not sure -- mine were 13 and 15.  Doc brought it up earlier than that but my wife tends to deal with those visits so I didn't hear his recs until one of them brought home some paperwork about the vaccine.

Edited by jimmyjazz

On 10/8/2018 at 8:40 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Both of my girls got it as soon as it was offered.  I had serious problems with Rick Perry mandating that every child had to get the vaccine, not because of the vaccine, but because of the government compulsion.  That didn't last very long.   Now parents are giving the choice.  There is no way an 11 year old and a 9 year old are going to take the HPV vaccine into account when they are deciding to have sex in the future.  

My wife's aunt died a painful death of cervical cancer - if the vaccine kept your adult child from dying this way, why wouldn't you do it.

Are you saying your wife's aunt was a promiscuous gal? Pics (for armybrat)?

• 7 months later...
Of course now both of my kids are retarded as a result, but it was a small price to pay.
My kids were pretty retarded to begin with but I haven't noticed it get any worse since they got the vaccine.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

My wife thought we should wait until they were older. My response: How are you going to feel if your daughter ends up with cervical cancer because you didn’t give her a shot that would’ve prevented it?

They got the vaccine.

I get that parents don't want to think about their 10 year old as eventually having sex, but if you anticipate that your child will EVER be in a relationship or get married, then you want them to have this vaccine.  Even if your kid held out for marriage, it doesn't mean their partner did.

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I swear, there must be a switch that flips when most people become parents.  I have no idea why they seem to think their kids are going to be different than they were.

Times were different...

I was stupid...

I don't recall what you're talking about...

On 10/7/2018 at 11:13 PM, ROFL BOX said:

For?

Against?

On the fence?

Our kids are 11 (boy) & 13 (girl).  My wife is  probably 60% against, I'm probably 55% for.

Talk me into or out of this vaccination.  We are a pro vaccine family & don't believe the nonsense about autism, etc. being vax related.

This HPV business is an entirely different idea.

What say thee, Surly Shaggers?

How in the fuck could anybody be against this? As in, not 100% for?

Seriously, how?

On 10/8/2018 at 8:06 AM, phdhorn said:

There are so many wrong (and ignorant) things about this post.

1. The kid needs to get the vaccine BEFORE they become sexually active for optimal protection.

2. The vaccine has NOTHING to do with  contraception.

Also, your subsequent posts aren't much better.

As a parent, it's your job to protect your kid. As in, not wait for them to decide whether to get a vaccination. See #1 above to distinguish this shot from say, a measles shot

34 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

There are so many wrong (and ignorant) things about this post.

1. The kid needs to get the vaccine BEFORE they become sexually active for optimal protection.

2. The vaccine has NOTHING to do with  contraception.

Also, your subsequent posts aren't much better.

As a parent, it's your job to protect your kid. As in, not wait for them to decide whether to get a vaccination. See #1 above to distinguish this shot from say, a measles shot

There is nothing ignorant about this post, nor how I raised my kids.  In any event, it's moot - they're both over the age of 18, and have been for awhile.  I'd do it again like that 50 times over.  That's why that particular vaccine is voluntary, and no doctor ever pushed me or my kids to get it.  Period.  They were good with our decision.

Although, you clearly know what's better for my kids' "protection" than I did, well I did ok.  My kids are just fine.Tell you what, I'll call you over, you can explain to the four of us how we're dumb shits, and then we'll all have a good laugh at your expense.  You seem to be knowledgeable about what each and every family's discussion is with their kids, and the authority to make these decisions for all of us. 

You must have been applauding Rick Perry's ordering young girls to get this vaccine in 2007 (until  he reversed himself, which must have been a bad day for you).  See, families discuss this.. .this isn't some post-natal thing that's a no-brainer like measles or the various "baby vaccines" (to your shock, we got them all as recommended).  The kid is involved, and we all discussed it and the pluses and minuses, and again, here's the catch - our doctor supported our decision.  I hope you got that part.  My kids have always, no let me italicize that, always been straight with their parents.  Sure they're kids and did shit they didn't tell us, but not this.  They knew and were responsible.  For us, it was the right way to go.  What others do is also up to them, and I support both sides (if you don't know/trust your kids enough, make 'em get it).  We were right  - AND informed - on our decision and my kids are just fine, no, better than fine.  But thanks for playing, lovely parting gifts on the way out.

Perhaps some day again, the State of Texas will order families to get this, then maybe you'll feel better.  The first time they tried it though, eesh...

Families can/should do what they decide.  The OP asked for opinions/experiences and I gave mine.  Whether you agree with it or not didn't, and won't change one thing about our decision - you know, the right one.

Edited by phdhorn

PHD - you're still not understanding what everyone is saying.  waiting for your kids to get the HPV vaccine, after they start to have relationships, is potentially too late.   And if your kids are boys, you actually have ZERO idea if they have HPV or not.  There isn't a test for it.  When you say they don't have HPV, you making that up.  you don't know because it's impossible for you to know that.

I suppose some parents can look at their teenage kids and realize sex is most likely not an issue for them.