2018 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

We should rename next year's thread "2019 Texas Winter Thread" so we're not subjected to another 400+ posts of Al_4_ISU incessantly reminding us Iowa is cold. 

Dont click on this thread then? You already know what the bumped posts are about. Another bomb cyclone with blizzard dumping feet of snow..meanwhile Texas is in the 90s all week.

Anyways.

Country actually isnt so bad...gravel roads>town roads

First casualty I've seen this storma81e0af42caabe192f3964478d10f084.jpgda1e0050fac4bdc8801fec5668572f6f.jpg

Dont mind my terrorist fighting HD sunglasses

• Like 2

When you have a late or early season ice storm, I prefer gravel roads to paved, because the rough texture gives you something that resembles grip, at least in comparison to pavement.

Same...our rural bus routes go smooth up until you hit the town stops then slows down drastically

Thank god we dont see many ice storms

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

We should rename next year's thread "2019 Texas Winter Thread" so we're not subjected to another 400+ posts of Al_4_ISU incessantly reminding us Iowa is cold. 

I think I will.  Nothing wrong with these guys discussing normal weather for the Northern half of the U.S., but since this is a Texas board, the winter weather for us is a lot more relevant.  I do click on this thread because silly me, I think that occasionally we'll get some stuff that's important to us, but I usually just see 5-6 guys now talking about how cold, snowy and icy it is - where it always gets cold, snowy and icy.  Good for you all.

But it's not relevant to about 75% of our regular posters, so I think it's a good idea to separate them.  Next year, I will if no one else does.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Accurate.  The first time I drove through the Panhandle I was surprised by how much it looked like home.  Nothing but windmills, livestock, fences, and row crops.

Everything from Cisco and West is the same until you get to the Rockies.  A lot more canyons than I imagine in Iowa, but flat, windmills, livestock, circular/row crops and again, flat. 

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Everything from Cisco and West is the same until you get to the Rockies.  A lot more canyons than I imagine in Iowa, but flat, windmills, livestock, circular/row crops and again, flat. 

Yeah, the only part of Iowa that has anything resembling canyons is the far northeastern corner, which really isn't really part of the Plains landscape, and resembles the Ozarks more than anything.  Very different from the southwestern canyon landscape.

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Accurate.  The first time I drove through the Panhandle I was surprised by how much it looked like home.  Nothing but windmills, livestock, fences, and row crops.

It always creeps me out especially in areas where there are not canyons or even any discernible features. I feel like I'm always about to look on the horizon and see a band of Comanches heading right for me.

• Like 1

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

It always creeps me out especially in areas where there are not canyons or even any discernible features. I feel like I'm always about to look on the horizon and see a band of Comanches heading right for me.

Whereas I find a certain sense of comfort in empty expanses.  Go with what you know, I guess.

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The Texas winter thread would be 5 pages of bitching about 40 degree weather and a page or two for the one freeze per year. 

Lots of “two hours ago it was 60 and now it’s 42!!!!” Plants pets pipes!!!

As it should be... why not?  It's Texas.  Whatever winter people above the 40th parallel are having is totally irrelevant to the weather down here.

• 2 weeks later...
ha. You dodged the last bomb cyclone so cheers.

Im thinking I probably summerized the snowblower 2 months too early, put it away 3 days ago

I’m not getting the blower out. It’s supposed to be 60+ by Monday.

I think you guys are fine. This storm is confined to a 60 mile band straddling the Iowa/Minnesota border. Nothing about this makes sense. Not even a little. Except it’s happened 3 of the last 6 years.

Fuck, we’ve been planting corn since Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Duluth is cool down by the lake.

I wouldn't live there tho.

Yeah, you get to enjoy it for the 5 days of summer. Then you can ice skate on it the other 11.85% of the year.
Duluth is the 5th coldest multi-count (i.e. anything that can pass as a town or more) inhabited spot in the U.S., including Alaska, and lies within 200 miles of the next 3 up the ladder.

It sucks, too.  I get why it's there, and it's needed, but as a place to live if you're not involved in commerce/shipping?  I'd rather live in North Central Syria.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, you get to enjoy it for the 5 days of summer. Then you can ice skate on it the other 11.85% of the year.
Duluth is the 5th coldest multi-count (i.e. anything that can pass as a town or more) inhabited spot in the U.S., including Alaska, and lies within 200 miles of the next 3 up the ladder.

It sucks, too.  I get why it's there, and it's needed, but as a place to live if you're not involved in commerce/shipping?  I'd rather live in North Central Syria.

One day last August when I couldn't fucking stand the heat anymore, I wasted a full afternoon at work looking at Duluth houses on Zillow. Definitely a buyer's market. /csb