Do I have rabies?

Helobious

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Some girl had it on a leash and it still bit me. They then ran off. 

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Which tells me she's had other incidents with that animal.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Good point.  She probably also knows that in Texas, city ordinances can and do call for a biting dog to be put down.

Or, and hear me out on this one, she's a kid who doesn't know what to do with a dog that got a little too protective and she freaked out. Come to find out, pre-teen girls tend to freak out and don't always make the best choices.

13 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Or, and hear me out on this one, she's a kid who doesn't know what to do with a dog that got a little too protective and she freaked out. Come to find out, pre-teen girls tend to freak out and don't always make the best choices.

Yep there's that too.  Or ... it could be aliens....

In Old Yeller Bud Searcy tells of an uncle or family member who came down with hydrophobie and chained hisself to a tree to protect his family from him when it hit.

If it worked in Old Yeller it should work for you so you better get the chain out.

*(Disclaimer:  it didn't work out very well for Old Yeller)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Victorious1 said:

In Old Yeller Bud Searcy tells of an uncle or family member who came down with hydrophobie and chained hisself to a tree to protect his family from him when it hit.

If it worked in Old Yeller it should work for you so you better get the chain out.

If ya can't trust Disneys recommendations whose can ya trust ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My daughter had to get rabies shots when she was in elementary school.  I'm thinking it was about $250 for all 5 (6?) shots, total.  She received them at her pediatrician's office -- I don't know where you got that bit about emergency rooms.

Do you have insurance?

I'd keep looking for that dog and see if HE had insurance.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My daughter had to get rabies shots when she was in elementary school.  I'm thinking it was about $250 for all 5 (6?) shots, total.  She received them at her pediatrician's office -- I don't know where you got that bit about emergency rooms.

Do you have insurance?

I do. The doctor at the medclinic said only ER’s carry the shots due to their short shelf life. Everything I read on google said it’d be thousands of $ even with good insurance. I even called ahead to a mini-ER by my place & they said they don’t carry rabies shots. 

Not sure how long ago your daughter got the shots but things have changed.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

I do. The doctor at the medclinic said only ER’s carry the shots due to their short shelf life. Everything I read on google said it’d be thousands of $ even with good insurance. I even called ahead to a mini-ER by my place & they said they don’t carry rabies shots. 

Not sure how long ago your daughter got the shots but things have changed.

You're getting trolled by the liberal Russians again.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:21 PM, Helobious said:

Sunday, I'm walking through the courtyard at my apartment complex. A 12-13 year old girl coming my direction on the sidewalk is walking a mid-sized, brown & white dog on a leash. The dog sees me and really starts trying to get at me, girl can barely hold him back. I keep walking thinking the dog is just excited. I take a step past them and then I feel a bite on the back of my knee/lower thigh area. I walk away a few feet to try and walk off the pain and create distance between me & the dog. I guess the girl panicked, cause I turned around and they were quickly walking into a breezeway. I hobbled after them but they were out of view. I foolishly decided to go clean & sanitize my wound ASAP instead of trying to find the girl & dog.

A couple days later I go to the clinic. Doctor tells me my wound has healed almost perfectly, no infection. He also said the dog didn't get me that deep. He said he highly doubted that a domesticated dog would have rabies, and that the bite didn't at all resemble the carnage that rabid dog bites usually have. He didn't recommend getting a rabies shot. Problem is my apartment complex says there's no kids or pet owners in the breezeway where the girl vanished, and since I wasn't able to tell the breed of the dog it'd be hard to find. I've been prowling the complex everyday since looking for that fucking dog or the girl. Filed a dogbite report with animal control & everything but that won't help much.

Rabies shots are only available in ERs and cost well over $10,000 out of pocket from what I understand. Would you get the shots if you were in my position? 

You are almost certainly fine. If the dog were rabid it would not have walked like a normal dog for the girl and likely would have gone after her at some point. Someone is just a shitty dog owner and parent by entrusting their aggressive dog to their young daughter.

Rabies shots do not cost 10k, unless there is a special procedure for rabies from dog bites. That just sounds like a typical ER scam. I got one (it's actually a series of 3-4) a couple years back after a bat had been in my apartment while I was sleeping.

Side note - evidently bat bites are basically unnoticeable so I had no way of knowing whether I was bitten or whether it was rabid - going without a shot basically meant a 0.5 percent chance or whatever that I die within a month.

I went to a clinic in Sugar Land or somewhere over there that did immunizations, blood tests, etc. The shots sucked, but only because needles are by far my biggest fear in the world. They are my irrational phobia. They were just standard injections in the arm, no different than a flu shot. I don't remember the out of pocket cost, but I was not even a year out of college and on a high deductible plan from my job, so the cost was all on my broke ass. I'd remember if it was exorbitantly expensive. Couldn't have been more than a couple hundred bucks. In and out very fast too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

This is what it’s going to look like.

What a mistake it was to watch that. If I come down with it, I’ll tell them to throw me in a coma ASAP and try whatever experiments they can think of. If I’m not better in a week just pull the plug, I had a nice run. 

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

You should stake out the apartment complex and when you see the girl, chase after her and bite her. All's fair that ends fair.

I think you fucked that up.

It’s either “all is fair in love and war,” or

“all is well that ends well.”

my man helobius is rabid, so it’s probably not going to end well.  

You must mean love and war.

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

I think you fucked that up.

It’s either “all is fair in love and war,” or

“all is well that ends well.”

my man helobius is rabid, so it’s probably not going to end well.  

You must mean love and war.

I was pretty sure I did but my brain is dead, polar vortex got to me. My point is still valid. Bite that girl and show her that a bird in the birdbath is worth 3 in the cage. 

Idiot Son #1 went off and got bit by a dog about 8 years ago or so. Nice summer day, he is off fucking around with his buddies, comes home doesn't say shit, goes to a neighborhood hangout and we get a call from the parents that el'stupido is showing off his dog bite. The mom says it looks like he should see the Dr.; I go down the block & pick him up and find out this happened before noon and it's getting dark so about 9 hours earlier.
No chance to find the dog,  IS#1 has some bullshit story about how it happened - so off to the ER we go, they clean the wound and we start rabies vaccines. That was a fun month or so.
FML

tl:dr - OP, if you don't know the dog has been vaccinated then get the shots. By the time you become symptomatic it's too late.
There is a side benefit, you can handle more animals as a zoo volunteer. And if you get bit again all it requires is a booster.

My co-worker got bit by a dog while walking in his neighborhood. Dog ran off to a shithole house, he went after it and knocked on the door of the house but the occupant refused to answer. Turns out it's a ghetto rent house. He kept going around, eventually the dog owner's neighbor told him they took the dog away so it couldn't be taken from them. He's going to sue the landlord for medical costs. Said he got 6-7 shots the first day, then a couple of follow up shots later. I could've sworn he said the cost was almost 10k. 

How about you spoiler tag that a-hole

On 1/28/2019 at 9:44 PM, Helobious said:

What a mistake it was to watch that. If I come down with it, I’ll tell them to throw me in a coma ASAP and try whatever experiments they can think of. If I’m not better in a week just pull the plug, I had a nice run. 

Yeah, that was all sorts of fucked up.  I'll just go all Old Yeller on myself.

Edited by Sbbruin

On 1/28/2019 at 8:48 PM, gmr548 said:

I got one (it's actually a series of 3-4) a couple years back after a bat had been in my apartment while I was sleeping.

Side note - evidently bat bites are basically unnoticeable so I had no way of knowing whether I was bitten or whether it was rabid - going without a shot basically meant a 0.5 percent chance or whatever that I die within a month.

Smart move.  I distinctly remember several years ago a guy dying in North Texas almost a year after he woke up to find a bat in his hotel room.  He had no idea he had been bitten.  Got the rabies.  Got the dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I found the fucking dog last night. Was walking by the same spot I got bit and a guy had it and another dog on leashes a few yards away in the grass. The dog started barking at me and really tried to get at me again, and the second I saw his face I knew. Thankfully it wasn't a 12 year old girl holding him this time and the guy was able to restrain it. He's a pitbull mix of some sort named Titus. I know his owner too, he's my neighbor a few units over and I've talked to him before. Turned out his niece was visiting him and taking the dog out the day I got bit. He says she never told him about it. 

I feel a little bad for the dog. His owner is literally morbidly obese, and keeps Titus and that other decent-sized mutt dog in his one bedroom apt. He's too fat to take them out on walks or to the park, so they spend probably 23 hours and 50 minutes everyday inside. He just lets them out in the morning and at night real quick, which is why no one I talked to during my search knew the dog I was looking for. It's easily the meanest dog I've ever seen. I had to yell to talk to the owner over the barking, and once he got it to stop it still was baring his fangs at me and growling. Told the property manager but I don't know what they're gonna do about it. That thing's gonna kill someone if it gets the chance.

tldr; I don't have rabies and my multi-thousand dollar gamble paid off.